HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix XCVIII: 5tayin' Alive

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Evil Doctor
Damn you Taylor Reed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post
Bettman is very good at his job. HE DOES THE BIDDING of the BoG so they must love this. Plus it looks like the team had no legitimate options to relocate anyways.

The BoG are too wrapped up in their own concerns to independently look into anything Bettman does. He presents his recommendations and they rubber stamp it not thinking for one second that he might be screwing them over...

Old
08-05-2013, 01:06 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donwood View Post
Yeah that's why he gets booed in every city BUT Glendale. There was a option in Quebec but reasons only Bettman & his cronies knows they didn't take the opportunity. BoG love it? Give me a break, holding a franchise together with duct tape is not desirable but somehow fits Bettmans plans.
Sure.... the fans can boo Bettman all they want... that's why the owners pay him as well as they do. And as long as the league keeps gaining in overall revenues, they aren't going to throw him to the curb.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:10 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post

The BoG are too wrapped up in their own concerns to independently look into anything Bettman does. He presents his recommendations and they rubber stamp it not thinking for one second that he might be screwing them over...
Bettman has inevitably promised expansion dollars to the BoG, QC with a new arena under construction will make any kind of concessions to get an expansion team, the NHL want's Seattle before the NBA arrives, they have a potential owner willing to pay, getting an arena built is the main hurdle. With CBC's HNIC contract up for renewal this year do you think the other 7 Canadian teams want a smaller split.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:13 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Chavira, who defeated Coyotes supporter Joyce Clark in the district containing Westgate Center, opposed the Jamison deal, but his opposition seems to have melted under the charismatic influence of his new hero, LeBlanc.
My understanding is that Chivara was intensly lobbied by business owners in his district as well as employees who make their livelihood at Westgate.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:17 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
There was no option in Quebec or they would have said so. SEATTLE was publically considered but Quebec was not because they are not ready. A sign of a good leader is not to be feared or liked but tobe respected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donwood View Post
Quebec WAS READY, Owner temporary suitable arena, great new arena in two years,

So we can finally dispense with the arguments over arenas, and that the reason Seattle is "apparently" getting more consideration than Quebec City is something OTHER than the arena, known only to the NHL.

Personally, I'm hoping for QC to stay on track and get their arena completed so they can get a franchise.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:30 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
So, not a very remarkable politician. Say one thing to get elected, do another once in office.
Name a politician who hasn't broken a promise or two???? It's one thing to being a back seat driver, and then suddenly finding yourself behind the wheel.

Quote:
But perhaps we should cut him a bit of slack. Which of us would not have melted under the heroic glare of Anthony LeBlanc?
Again.... all you see is what you see in council meetings, or what little tidbits that emanate in the media. The man represents a district that includes Westgate, and jobing.com Arena. For all anyone knows a substantial number of people who reside or own businesses within his district told him they wanted the Coyotes to stay. In fact I believe he said something along those lines in the council meeting before he voted yes.

Nyah..... could never be that.....

Old
08-05-2013, 02:01 AM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Name a politician who hasn't broken a promise or two???? It's one thing to being a back seat driver, and then suddenly finding yourself behind the wheel.

Again.... all you see is what you see in council meetings, or what little tidbits that emanate in the media. The man represents a district that includes Westgate, and jobing.com Arena. For all anyone knows a substantial number of people who reside or own businesses within his district told him they wanted the Coyotes to stay. In fact I believe he said something along those lines in the council meeting before he voted yes.

Well part of the reason he won over Joyce Clark was that he wasn't going to support a big giveaway to the Coyotes. Thats not just why some segment of people voted for him, but thats why Alverez threw support behind him and probably why some of the volunteers worked for him. To do a 180 on what was a decisive issue isn't a minor deal.

Are we at the point where we start taking suggestions for the next thread title?

How about:

Phoenix XCIX: D-Day
Phoenix XCIX: The Coyotes Have 99 problems but the AMF ain't one

Old
08-05-2013, 02:20 AM
BoltSTH

If/when they close will the Coyote's be a cap floor, mid point, or no internal cap team?

Cap Floor would save $ in the short run, but losses would soon escalate rapidly as attendance falls. Fast way to $50m in losses

Don't think the new owners have the cash to be big spenders. But if they do, another way fast way to $50m losses.

So it would appear their only hope, if they even try to make it viable, is a mid point, internal cap, and hope to make a round or two in the playoffs every year. They may survive 5 years.

Old
08-05-2013, 02:43 AM
wunderpanda

I think the owners could make money by simply bringing other events in to the arena. Coyotes will lose money, Glendale will lose money, IceHeads make money booking concerts, circuses, rodeos, hari krishnas into the arena.

there is one thing that bugs me
http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/nhl/...PVLAAM.twitter

yes, lazy reporters have become my gripe on 2013

Quote:
Sources familiar with the situation also said the ownership group is expected to close the $170 million sale of the team on Monday -- the deadline set by the City of Glendale when it reached agreement with RSE last month on an arena-management deal for Jobing.com Arena.
Makes it sound like IceHeads are actually paying 170millions for the team, just makes my eye twitch

Old
08-05-2013, 06:33 AM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post

As someone that has a business in the city and lives across the street from the city boundary, I can say that the majority of the residents that I meet pretty much believe that the city is screwed no matter what but that the deal was the lesser of two evils. . .

Looking at it from a distance, this has the ring of truth.

Old
08-05-2013, 06:40 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Phoenix XCIX: The Coyotes Have 99 problems but the AMF ain't one
I like it. If they do close today I think "99 problems but the lease ain't one" would be good. I'd say "ownership ain't one" but the twitter wonder boy is in the mix.

Old
08-05-2013, 06:42 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Today in Coyotes ownership history

August 5, 2010:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTofMAROONSroad View Post
So, IEH has no money and we are back to the CFD, JR and Goldwater? Did I miss anything?

GHOST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Beatdown View Post
There is a 2 word phrase i think that accurately describes this situation.

One is Cluster, the other will earn me a warning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58* View Post
And it would be short term, until Thomson could relocate the franchise yet again to So Ontario where he could actually turn a profit. All this smoke about Thomson's money, his arena doesn't change the fact that there isn't much profit in Winnipeg. It's one thing to carry a team in a market that has unrealized potential. It's another to carry one for "old time's sake".

Old
08-05-2013, 07:24 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpetCleaner View Post
Do any of you that have come out against the City of Glendale really care about the City? I've seen plenty of posts that worry about the citizens of Glendale, but how many of them are genuine?
No. It's more a combination of shock and disbelief that they are willing to spend so much tax money on something very few of them utilize, to the detriment of services that they actually do utilize.

Old
08-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Llama19

vCash: 50
Phoenix Coyotes deal set to close today

To quote:

"Proponents largely argued that the Coyotes were vital to Glendale’s stature as a major municipal force in the state and country. The team could be a catalyst for the city’s economy by drawing fans to the Westgate Entertainment District at least 41 nights a year, they said.

Opponents countered that arena-management deals threatened to siphon taxpayer funds that would be better spent on core municipal responsibilities such as emergency and social services."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...-to-close.html

Don't worry, there will be plenty of 'chatter' today...

"Wise Men Learn More From Fools, Than Fools From The Wise"

Old
08-05-2013, 09:36 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Sure.... the fans can boo Bettman all they want... that's why the owners pay him as well as they do. And as long as the league keeps gaining in overall revenues, they aren't going to throw him to the curb.
1) I'd like to see a complete overall accounting that includes the sorts of individual losses like the $300M Moyes claims he had. mock that specific amount if you will, but individual owner losses are not trivial under bettman's reign. he has facilitated a system that allows the majority of the group to rejoice (or not cry all that loudly) while certain other individuals go bankrupt big time.

and 2) ... "they"? you make it sound like the owners are all of one mind. no doubt, he has his cabal of powerful supporters but there can also be no doubt that some do disagree with his decisions (and that nasty cabal sees fit to put them in their place when they do voice some concern ... ie., jacobs on chipman re: lockout).

Old
08-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Llama19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
My understanding is that Chivara was intensly lobbied by business owners in his district as well as employees who make their livelihood at Westgate.
Not quite, keep looking deeper...

See aqib post #857

Old
08-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Whileee

Quote:

I agree that Chavira is following a well-worn path for politicians. I said so in my original post.

Still, in running against Joyce Clark, a proponent of the previous Jamison deal, Chavira specifically campaigned on a platform opposing large subsidies to the Coyotes. When I pointed this out it was in response to a post that suggested that the majority of citizens supported the Coyotes deal. I was simply making the point that the recent municipal elections in Glendale brought in a mayor and council that voters thought would oppose a large subsidy for the Coyotes. Clearly, they were mistaken because Chavira changed that equation by flipping his opinion. We can all speculate as to why he did this. Perhaps he was persuaded by constituents. I would note that in his remarks during the council session he also specifically mentioned Grant Wood as influential in his decision-making, along with his surprisingly flowery praise for LeBlanc.

Regardless of his reason for switching, voters who voted for Chavira would have thought he would oppose a Coyotes subsidy, and he did not. It seems a logical conclusion that many citizens in his district oppose the Coyotes deal.

Old
08-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
I was quite sure that the deal had to be closed as of August 4th...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
That was my impression as well however appears that because its a Sunday, the 5th. If not done tomorrow by close of business, the agreement with Glendale null & void. According to Daly & Jones et al, on-track.
....the ordinance makes it clear that closing must be completed by August 5th (today), so everything is still on track.

http://www.glendaleaz.com/documents/...855Revised.pdf

Old
08-05-2013, 10:15 AM
aqib

It's 7:10AM in Phoenix so there are 17 hours to go. I am picturing Bettman calling owners begging to get there faxes in.

Old
08-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Whileee

Quote:
It's 7:10AM in Phoenix so there are 17 hours to go. I am picturing Bettman calling owners begging to get there faxes in.
I highly doubt that the BOG votes will snag this deal. I also expect RSE to be able to close the financial transaction. I'm not sure why it took until the final day, but that seems to be the pattern with this saga.

Old
08-05-2013, 10:27 AM

So what happens in the unlikely event this doesn't finalize today?

Old
08-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
I don't think it will take untill the last second. They'll try to get it trough ASAP. But with that said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
So what happens in the unlikely event this doesn't finalize today?
I dont think that's possible. But if for some unforceen reason the sale doesn't close today the deal between Renaissance and the City is off. We'd need to go trough the whole City Council madness once more.

Also, the NHL would be stuck owning the Coyotes for another year!

Old
08-05-2013, 10:33 AM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Bettman is very good at his job. HE DOES THE BIDDING of the BoG so they must love this.
Not really. The thing to remember is that a lot of the owners of teams in the NHL have come on board AFTER Bettman was given the reins, so effectively they owe the fact that they even own a team to Bettman.... and as a result those teams will never go against he wants to personally do.

So sure each team has a vote, but Bettman knows going into any vote he has a good number of teams in his back pocket that will green light whatever he wants.

IE: Do you think TNSE would ever oppose Bettman after waiting years to get a team back?

Old
08-05-2013, 10:35 AM
blamebettman*

Are these owners sending their votes by carrier pigeon?

Old
08-05-2013, 10:35 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I agree that Chavira is following a well-worn path for politicians. I said so in my original post.

Still, in running against Joyce Clark, a proponent of the previous Jamison deal, Chavira specifically campaigned on a platform opposing large subsidies to the Coyotes. When I pointed this out it was in response to a post that suggested that the majority of citizens supported the Coyotes deal. I was simply making the point that the recent municipal elections in Glendale brought in a mayor and council that voters thought would oppose a large subsidy for the Coyotes. Clearly, they were mistaken because Chavira changed that equation by flipping his opinion. We can all speculate as to why he did this. Perhaps he was persuaded by constituents. I would note that in his remarks during the council session he also specifically mentioned Grant Wood as influential in his decision-making, along with his surprisingly flowery praise for LeBlanc.

Regardless of his reason for switching, voters who voted for Chavira would have thought he would oppose a Coyotes subsidy, and he did not. It seems a logical conclusion that many citizens in his district oppose the Coyotes deal.
Which begs the question, where are all of the voters who lost their Council representation when Chavira made his about face? I would think that they would be willing signers of the Referendum if presented with it. However, this more likely speaks to the fact that voter turnout on the local level was so small that very few feel cheated of their initial vote.

This deal will likely be completed today, and then the fun will begin all over again! Tony`s investor group will provide ample fodder for any enterprising journalist interested in a good story. Loose lips (read Jones) will create more than a little anxiety for Tony, as he attempts to put his rookie skills in play to induce fans to support the local team. The marketing attempts will start strong and die a sad death as the new ownership group begins to understand that the casual fans will not come in droves if single tickets are no longer given away and all other costs associated with attendance have risen!

The salary cap will hamper Tip and DM forever, as cheap Tony scraps to keep the losses under $40MM per annum.

Talk of substantial losses will be topic #1 as GB responds to the calls for "help" emanating from the clowns. Why do i suspect that the NHL largesse will be the ultimate financier even beyond the current $85MM LOC?

Fortress will be a thorn in the clowns side as year two shows deeper financial distress than year one!

The chicken wire, bubble gum and masking tape will begin to unravel and the parts will start to show vulnerabilities that will be comical as well as sad!

As for the Council and the corruption that was perpetrated internally by Beasley and Skeete? Just maybe someone at the AG`s office will take note and recognize that fraud on a massive scale has rendered the COG incapable of managing their own affairs. We may even see a state takeover of the COG`s business arm, replete with censure, fines and possibly jail terms for the most egregious Municipal theft of all time!

This thread will live in infamy as we detail the implosion of a city and its cast of dubious characters. GB, will pull the escape of his own reputation, but over time the BOG will hang his effigy for all to see.

Closed Thread