HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix XCVIII: 5tayin' Alive

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Foster81

vCash: 500
Quote:
The Teams themselves appoint their reps to the BOG, one lead Governor, one Assistant/Alternate Governor. Those can be any lengths of term at all, often for life, or until whomever sells their franchise. The Alternates change a bit, sometimes a Team President or President/GM etc. They get fired, move around. Within the NHL itself a pecking order, heirarchy. Theres the Expansion & Relocation Committee, a few others, the most powerful of the lot appointed to the 10 member Executive Committee, all of the Committee's having a Chairman, Asst to the Chairman, on & on & on. Not sure what if any term limits are involved in those.

Which owners are on the 10 member executive committee? Is there a web site that explains how all this works and is structured? I would love to learn how the nhl conducts its business.

Old
07-24-2013, 07:07 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well, c'mon here TL, take a Hell of a lot more than four Ben Franklins, four hunnert dolla to buy my vote if were going to hand you $75Million over just the next 5yrs alone. Are you kidding me? $400 is like an afternoon, part of an evening in a bar. Coupla rounds of golf or whatever. A weeks worth of groceries. Maupin & Alvarez had better have a lot better than that if they expect to be taken seriously at all by the AG's offices.
I agree, K. I'll wait to see what kind of "evidence" exists before making any other presumptions about it.

Old
07-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Confucius

To those who think the B of G's would want to keep the Coyotes around because it keeps the cap down, yeah right. I guess the league should just giveaway the broadcast rights in Canada to CBC. This would greatly benefit the CBC not to mention the NHL, by keeping the cap down Ofcourse

Old
07-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster81 View Post
Which owners are on the 10 member executive committee?
No website, wiki page, nothing in the public domain in that regard. Jeremy Jacobs is the Chairman of the 10 member Executive Committee, Ed Snider of Philadelphia, Craig Leipold of Minnesota, Larry Tanenbaum of Toronto and honestly, cant remember who the rest are.

Old
07-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Foster81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
To those who think the B of G's would want to keep the Coyotes around because it keeps the cap down, yeah right. I guess the league should just giveaway the broadcast rights in Canada to CBC. This would greatly benefit the CBC not to mention the NHL, by keeping the cap down Ofcourse

I agree, it doesn't make any sense to keep the coyotes in Phoenix just to keep the cap low, that sounds ridiculous

Last edited by Foster81: 07-24-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old
07-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Glacial

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post
It won't go anywhere. if anything happens, it'll be wrist slaps and small fines.
Wrist slaps? Can't we get a full facial slap on camera at least?

Old
07-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Glacial

Is that audit of Glendale's books still coming or has it been swept under the rug?

Old
07-24-2013, 08:17 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

This may have been covered above, catching up from two weeks out of country....

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...nclick_check=1

Quote:
The State Attorney General’s Office has launched an investigation into possible violations of Arizona’s Open Meeting Law by the Glendale City Council.

The investigation focuses on a series of private back-to-back meetings at Glendale City Hall among council members, National Hockey League executives and the prospective buyers of the Phoenix Coyotes franchise on May 28.

The Attorney General’s Office launched the investigation in response to several complaints, according to a July 2 letter by Assistant Attorney General Christopher Munns to interim City Manager Dick Bowers.

“The complaints allege that the council violated the Open Meetings Law by conducting sequential meetings of council members in a number less than a quorum in order to discuss official town business without needing to comply with the requirements of the law,” Munns states in the letter.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:16 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPHabsFan View Post
Alright. I thought I read somewhere that it was a line of credit available to the owners and if that were the case then I had a nice little conspiracy theory ready to go. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be....It would have explained a lot though....
The $85 million from the league is a line of credit. Thats what they have to draw on to pay bills. Basically between revenue sharing, the leagues line of credit, the "management fee", they can burn through $50 million in losses without having a cash call. Also, so far I don't see any limits on what they owners can pay themselves in terms of salary. So they can manipulate operating income to post a $50 million loss and get there money out over the course of 5 years and then move the team.

Old
07-25-2013, 08:00 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
The $85 million from the league is a line of credit. Thats what they have to draw on to pay bills. Basically between revenue sharing, the leagues line of credit, the "management fee", they can burn through $50 million in losses without having a cash call. Also, so far I don't see any limits on what they owners can pay themselves in terms of salary. So they can manipulate operating income to post a $50 million loss and get there money out over the course of 5 years and then move the team.
speaking of cooking the books, does anyone know if the nhl ever gave glendale access to them re: the first two $25M subsidies? they sent perfunctory letters noting monthly losses (and we have had access to the year 1 letters, but not year 2, which we can only assume were similarly sent) but did the league ever open up the actual coyotes books to glendale? wasn't that part of the agreement?

just morbid curiosity here, nothing of any consequence in the grander scheme.

Old
07-25-2013, 08:47 AM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Quote:
Ya having the Coyotes getting to 50 million in losses is going to be quite simple especially since any type of money they receive from the NHL from revenue sharing and whatnot doesn't count towards team revenue according to the lease agreement.

My conspiracy that I was thinking of had more to do with the loan and AMF fee. Basically it was that the money they were getting from Fortress was a line of credit instead of a loan. This way they only pay back what they borrow. The reason they have it is because the NHL told them that they don't really care about getting the 120 million right now because they'll get it back in 5 years when the team is either sold/relocated or the team is profitable. Along with that, they could basically lie and say that they need the 15 million in AMF to pay for Fortress when they don't actually need to and then pocket more of the AMF to cover losses.

Old
07-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Orrthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
Except for the fact that the Coyotes help the other teams make more money and giving away TV rights would makes teams lose money. But thanks for proving my point that people are totally unable to put themselves in the point of view of an owner.

Old
07-25-2013, 01:50 PM
hisgirlfriday

Yourwestvalley.com (sorry no direct link as I'm posting by phone) has another piece up about the open meetings investigation today. Mostly its just a rehash but it includes the detail that two city council members met with the ags office yesterday and describes rev maupin as mediating between them but also says the council members provided evidence of open meeting violations. The city attorney is sticking to the meet and greet story.

Old
07-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
Yourwestvalley.com (sorry no direct link as I'm posting by phone) has another piece up about the open meetings investigation today. Mostly its just a rehash but it includes the detail that two city council members met with the ags office yesterday and describes rev maupin as mediating between them but also says the council members provided evidence of open meeting violations. The city attorney is sticking to the meet and greet story.
Open meeting violations in Coyotes negotiations?

Link: http://www.yourwestvalley.com/glenda...a4bcf887a.html

Old
07-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
www.yourwestvalley.com sorry no direct link as I'm posting by phone..
There ya go, fixed; its brief, just below the main photo 3 stories down at www.yourwestvalley.com with 2 COG Councillors voicing complaints. Its not going to stop the deal from closing but it does appear that it could cause some embarrassment, indeed has already, the cities attorney now fighting a rearguard action.

Doh!. Good job Llama..

Old
07-25-2013, 02:42 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
There ya go, fixed; its brief, just below the main photo 3 stories down at www.yourwestvalley.com with 2 COG Councillors voicing complaints. Its not going to stop the deal from closing but it does appear that it could cause some embarrassment, indeed has already, the cities attorney now fighting a rearguard action.

Doh!. Good job Llama..
When you add up everything over the last 4 years, this is just one more minor footnote of embarrassing things for the CoG.

Old
07-25-2013, 02:48 PM
goyotes

I try to avoid predictions when it comes to this mess, but I tend to think the ownership deal will close around the 4th, after the referendum cloud lifts. My question is will this thread remain open after the change in ownership? Most posters I think believe the team will relocate after 5 years and exercise the out clause. That offers 5 years of keeping track on the losses....

Old
07-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
When you add up everything over the last 4 years, this is just one more minor footnote of embarrassing things for the CoG.
So...are you sayin'...

Old
07-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Yes, however as Llama's posted with his meme', this one quite wilful & hypocritical as Weirs & the Council were swept into office promising open government & transparency. Theyve been anything but since being sworn in. Where for example were the RFP Bids in full including all of the exhibits so that the public could fully understand what the options were with or without the team? $100,000 paid to Beacon for what? Posturing in dealing with RSE & the NHL then just folding when they had them on the ropes? What a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
That offers 5 years of keeping track on the losses....
I agree, reckon the sale'll close on the 4th... this thread however, nope, no chance of that happening. Things are just going to get more interesting, broader scope, curriculum vitae goyotes. Last 4yrs yer BA, next 5 an MA, after that Im guessing most go on for their PHD's.

Old
07-25-2013, 07:15 PM
aqib

Quote:
Yes, however as Llama's posted with his meme', this one quite wilful & hypocritical as Weirs & the Council were swept into office promising open government & transparency. Theyve been anything but since being sworn in. Where for example were the RFP Bids in full including all of the exhibits so that the public could fully understand what the options were with or without the team? $100,000 paid to Beacon for what? Posturing in dealing with RSE & the NHL then just folding when they had them on the ropes? What a waste.

I agree, reckon the sale'll close on the 4th... this thread however, nope, no chance of that happening. Things are just going to get more interesting, broader scope, curriculum vitae goyotes. Last 4yrs yer BA, next 5 an MA, after that Im guessing most go on for their PHD's.
Well out of the new people Weirs and Hugh upheld their promise to oppose the deal. Sherwood upheld his promise to keep the Coyotes in town. Only Chivira broke his promise

Old
07-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well out of the new people Weirs and Hugh upheld their promise to oppose the deal. Sherwood upheld his promise to keep the Coyotes in town. Only Chivira broke his promise
Very true, they opposed it, but did they do enough to try and block and stop it? Did they live up to their promises on the stump campaigning with rhetoric about open government and transparency? I submit they did not. Like most polyico's, Jerry in particular being a professional politician, walked a fine line right down the middle. This guy was the State Senator for the area throughout Glendales Folly. In so far as he was concerned whenever asked from the mid 00's through the Moyes BK, the Hulsizer Proxy etc, "any way the State can help out"? or whatever, responded with "its a municipal issue" or "its before the courts, inappropriate for me to comment". Maybe a "Im afraid I dont know enough about the issues" and so on & so forth. Yet hes apparently qualified to run for and win the seat. Nice 6 figure salary, pension. That class of people just make me sick aqib. Honestly. What can you say? Weiers has done some great stuff. Sponsored Bills for re-integration programs for returning vets from the middle east, support programs for those suffering from PTSD etc, conservation laws. Just utterly vacuous, empty on real life situations like this one.

Old
07-25-2013, 08:32 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
What promise????

(And to think I had to quote Dave Shoalts for this....... )

From the Globe and Mail following last year's election....

Quote:
However, it is not clear that Clark and Frate will be replaced by supporters of the lease. Sam Chavira, who defeated Clark, is not opposed to the Coyotes but wants a lease that makes sense for the city, according to the Arizona Republic.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle5079349/

So.... Chavira wasn't against having the Coyotes stay as much as he was deals like the two $25 million payouts to the NHL. Was this deal with RSE good enough for him (it's certainly better than any of the others to date)? Add to that he represents the district where the Coyotes play and he, along with Manny Ramirez, were getting a lot of feedback from residents in their respective districts that they wanted the team to stay.

So is this Sam Chavira breaking a promise (if there ever was one)? Or is it Sam Chavira representing his district?

Old
07-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
So is this Sam Chavira breaking a promise (if there ever was one)? Or is it Sam Chavira representing his district?
While I empathize with Sammy, Im not sure I understand how as a firefighter who's seen his department receiving no increases as costs continue to increase for over a decade reconcile massive expenditures on private industry. Cant service the fleet, worried about fuel expenditures, told hilariously by Weiers to conduct their own maintenance on the trucks, shutting down a station or scheduling revolving closures, laying off personnel, no new hires etc. And for those "unaware", fire one of the biggest hazards & fears in Glendale/Phoenix. Response time critical, crucial.

Cant come up with $650,000 for the GFD but no problem coming up with $8.5M for Tony & Friends? Ok. So what happens here a ladder truck runs out of gas on its way to a 5 Alarmer on Northern, 19 people die? Class Action Lawsuit on a scale lil Sammy couldnt possibly imagine. Wish I had a law degree. Take that sucker on pro bono and youd wish, WISH I was Al Pacino in the Devils Advocate on Blow. Absolutely devour the City of Glendale. Heaven & Hell. Apocalypse Now. And this exactly what could, almost will surely occur. All in the name of a hockey team. The arrogance of Man has no boundaries, limits. They had the upper hand, straight ace flush and folded. I call that Bull****. Needless. Total waste.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Hawker14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
I try to avoid predictions when it comes to this mess, but I tend to think the ownership deal will close around the 4th, after the referendum cloud lifts. My question is will this thread remain open after the change in ownership? Most posters I think believe the team will relocate after 5 years and exercise the out clause. That offers 5 years of keeping track on the losses....
It won't close. Ever.

These Canadian shucksters are no better than their media bethren !

Old
07-25-2013, 10:02 PM
aqib

Quote:
Very true, they opposed it, but did they do enough to try and block and stop it? Did they live up to their promises on the stump campaigning with rhetoric about open government and transparency? I submit they did not. Like most polyico's, Jerry in particular being a professional politician, walked a fine line right down the middle. This guy was the State Senator for the area throughout Glendales Folly. In so far as he was concerned whenever asked from the mid 00's through the Moyes BK, the Hulsizer Proxy etc, "any way the State can help out"? or whatever, responded with "its a municipal issue" or "its before the courts, inappropriate for me to comment". Maybe a "Im afraid I dont know enough about the issues" and so on & so forth. Yet hes apparently qualified to run for and win the seat. Nice 6 figure salary, pension. That class of people just make me sick aqib. Honestly. What can you say? Weiers has done some great stuff. Sponsored Bills for re-integration programs for returning vets from the middle east, support programs for those suffering from PTSD etc, conservation laws. Just utterly vacuous, empty on real life situations like this one.
I doubt there was state aid in the offing for Jobbing.com. The state picked up most of tab for UofP Stadium because the benefits extended beyond Glendale. Without a new stadium the Fiesta Bowl was going to lose its BCS Status and there would never be another Super Bowl in AZ. When there is a Super Bowl, Fiesta Bowl or BCS Title game people stay in hotels all over the valley (primarily Scottsdale). For Jobbing, I am not sure there could be other benefits outside of the prestige of being host to 4 major league teams instead of 3, since as we have discussed many times there are enough venues in the valley to handle all the events there if Jobbing didn't exist. I am not sure if the state contributed to US Airways Center, but it wouldn't make sense to contribute to the construction of another arena.

Closed Thread