HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thomas Vanek (Buffalo Sabres)

Old
07-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
I would have paid the same for either of Bobby Ryan or Vanek.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:42 PM
ZeroPT
Faschist Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus View Post
This is pretty much what I would like to get from Vanek, young NHLer (Silfverberg) Good prospect would likely have to be a winger (Noesen) and a 1st.

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:36 PM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

My number 1 goal would be aquiring a top line potential winger

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:42 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus View Post
Ryan will play for the sens for two years...guaranteed. Vanek will give someone one. I see that as a major difference...one that makes vanek's value beneath Ryan's.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:50 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
I don't see how Vanek will get a better return than both Kovalchuk and Hossa. I think Buffalo fans are going to be disappointed with what he'll return. Probably middle six forward, late first and a B prospect.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:56 PM
SLarmer28

Buffalo Sabres Trade Deadline FIRE SALE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I40HfH1UiXo

Need to update the video for the Buffalo Sabres Summer FIRE SALE!

SLarmer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 10:43 PM
cgf

If the Avs move Radar for an EJ partner at the deadline, I'd love to see them turn around and use their first+ for Vanek, he and Staz would be so sexy together with one of Landy/McG/Downie gritting it up on the other wing.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:56 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgetMyers View Post
The guy signed an offer sheet in Edmonton for Christ's sake.

Anyways, we need wingers out the wazoo, so 2 decent winger prospects and a 1st would probably do the trick.
That OS was in 2007.....If he wanted money he would have signed by now in buffalo.

He wants to win a cup. He understand if he wants the cup he needs to not take as much money.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:35 AM
VegasSabreFan

I'd say the package will be slightly less than Ryan's. There's only one year left but the Sabres are going to be absorbing half his cap hit which is a big deal for some contenders with short windows for winning.

I think it will end up being a 1st, a winger of similar value to Silverberg, and then a project prospect at wing with a top 6 ceiling.

There is no point in buying into lowball theories. Darcy is a shrewd trade partner and won't be selling low on anyone.

VegasSabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:20 AM
boredmale

I am guessing if Buffalo trade Vanek at the deadline you can expect a package similar to Kovalchuk and Hossa deadline deals

All that being said Buffalo being able to retain 50% of the salary might make room for more teams to become buyers

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:43 AM
Reclamation Project
Zero Class User

vCash: 498
Would look good on Kopi's wing...

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:25 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSabreFan View Post
I'd say the package will be slightly less than Ryan's. There's only one year left but the Sabres are going to be absorbing half his cap hit which is a big deal for some contenders with short windows for winning.

I think it will end up being a 1st, a winger of similar value to Silverberg, and then a project prospect at wing with a top 6 ceiling.

There is no point in buying into lowball theories. Darcy is a shrewd trade partner and won't be selling low on anyone.
From what is being reported, it does not sound like Regier is getting lowball offers.

Regier's high trade demand+ droppping cap+Vanek's $7m salary+ contract status have limited the number of teams in the mix.

I think Vanek will remain a Sabre until the trade deadline, then bring a strong return as a rental.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:28 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
Would look good on Kopi's wing...
I would certainly watch more LA games.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:36 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I am guessing if Buffalo trade Vanek at the deadline you can expect a package similar to Kovalchuk and Hossa deadline deals

All that being said Buffalo being able to retain 50% of the salary might make room for more teams to become buyers
Regier was quoted in a recent puckdaddy article. Salary is playing a role, but teams are leery sbout giving up top young talent, for a player only under contract for one more season.

Other then NJ, what team is desperate at this point for a first line winger?

And with the Devils lackng a 1st rounder, not having a strong prospect pool, do the Sabres+ Devils matchup well as trade partners?

Old
07-20-2013, 03:56 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Vanek would be traded for the best offer possible....Buffalo isnt interested in cap dumps or rentals.

The expectation in return would be a 1st + 2 young player (<24) or prospects.

In terms of an organization need....their would be winger.

have no idea what his not contract would be. He doesnt seem like the me player he wanted to get as much as he can and he would take lesser money to stay with a cup contender.

My gues he would sign for a high frontloaded contract where he would more now than what he earned last year but the amount drops over the years thus lowering the cap hit.
Where ever he gets traded, he's a short-termer there. He's going to sign as a UFA with Minnesota next offseason. He's already talked about his interest in playing for the Wild.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:13 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I agree with a lot of stuff I'm readying here.

I think you'd go with 2 prospects and a first or second rounder. I think the draft pick all depends on the quality of the prospects coming back to Buffalo. If they're getting a couple of guys that have can't miss written on them then a first rounder might be too high.

I was really impressed with what Buffalo drafted in the first round this year. Actually that was downright scary. If Myers sticks around for the long haul Buffalo is going to have the biggest blueline in the NHL.

The Buffalo's centers aren't scary but they've got some decent pieces down the middle. With a good group of wingers Buffalo could be pretty scary in 3 seasons.

Question is if Bufalo could get anything good for Miller at the same time. Maybe a a top 9 winger and a center? to fill some gaps?

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 05:25 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I agree with a lot of stuff I'm readying here.

I think you'd go with 2 prospects and a first or second rounder. I think the draft pick all depends on the quality of the prospects coming back to Buffalo. If they're getting a couple of guys that have can't miss written on them then a first rounder might be too high.

I was really impressed with what Buffalo drafted in the first round this year. Actually that was downright scary. If Myers sticks around for the long haul Buffalo is going to have the biggest blueline in the NHL.

The Buffalo's centers aren't scary but they've got some decent pieces down the middle. With a good group of wingers Buffalo could be pretty scary in 3 seasons.

Question is if Bufalo could get anything good for Miller at the same time. Maybe a a top 9 winger and a center? to fill some gaps?
The poster above pointed out Vanek's comment, about wanting to play in Minn.

I would be surprised if he agrees to an extension with any other team, before talking to the Wild next summer.

I do think some gm, jockeying for a playoff run, would give up a 1st and 1-2 solid prospects at the trade deadline, even if he viewed Vanek as a rental. I have question if he will bring back ' can't miss ' prospects, if gms view him strictly as a rental.

Old
07-20-2013, 05:37 AM
KingKopitar11
Drew Doughty Eh?

I think any Gm can get a player like vanek with that kind of return. Nothing about his value makes him special.

KingKopitar11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:58 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Where ever he gets traded, he's a short-termer there. He's going to sign as a UFA with Minnesota next offseason. He's already talked about his interest in playing for the Wild.
He's going to go where there's 1) money and 2) a chance to win the cup. Wild fans need to stop making asinine statements like this. The only time he's ever talked about playing in Minnesota, that I'm aware of, was several years ago and is all but irrelevant now.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:45 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Vanek would be traded for the best offer possible....Buffalo isnt interested in cap dumps or rentals.

The expectation in return would be a 1st + 2 young player (<24) or prospects.

In terms of an organization need....their would be winger.

have no idea what his not contract would be. He doesnt seem like the me player he wanted to get as much as he can and he would take lesser money to stay with a cup contender.

My gues he would sign for a high frontloaded contract where he would more now than what he earned last year but the amount drops over the years thus lowering the cap hit.
Agreed. They have spent the last few seasons and drafts addressing the C and D position. They also have decent depth in goal. However, IMO top 6 talent at the wings is really thin, and if you trade Vanek it just about evaporates.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:09 AM
ZeroPT
Faschist Computer

Winnipeg should be interested. They have off the charts offensive prospects and a certain want-away young player (still think Burmi singing in the KHL is for leverage only) and they barely missed out last year. they've added Frolik and Seto and should sing Bogo and Wheeler, add vanek to that group and I could see a deal looking like this:
Vanek (50%)
for
Telegin+Burmistrov+1st

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:25 AM
shultzyfeelinirie20

vCash: 1034
how about anthony mantha and a 1st in 2014?

shultzyfeelinirie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:26 AM
shultzyfeelinirie20

vCash: 1034
wings top line would be zetts pav vanek

shultzyfeelinirie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:55 AM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
This is pretty much what I would like to get from Vanek, young NHLer (Silfverberg) Good prospect would likely have to be a winger (Noesen) and a 1st.
Yes, agree with you here... thats pretty much the return he'll get (which would help the Sabres quite a bit in their rebuild)

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris

Zucker, 1st, Lucia for Vanek at 2/3 salary. Not sure how the Wild would feel about not having a 1st 2 years in a row, but their prospect pool could probably make up for it.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote