HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thomas Vanek (Buffalo Sabres)

Old
07-20-2013, 04:44 PM
B4NND1T*

vCash: 894
Tanev + Jensen + 2nd for Vanek with 1 year remaining. Add more if signed for longer term

B4NND1T* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:45 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

vCash: 500
I love Vanek, always have.. but at the deadline

he is not fetching a 1st and two prospects unless he agrees to sign on for more years. My team won't be in that sweepstakes but I never thought Jarmo would bring in Gabby or Horton so anything is possible eh?

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:58 PM
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks

vCash: 1660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flacko View Post
Lmao what? How is Minnesota his home?
- Played at the University of Minnesota (won a championship with them)

- Wife is from Minnesota

- Lives in Minnesota in the offseason

- Trains with other Minnesotans in offseason

- Best Friends with Jason Pominville

dwanmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 05:12 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y. Orangeman View Post
Based on the ridiculousness here, I have to say I am Really looking forward to the coming disappointment of the Wild fans here. BFF/homecomings/etc rarely work out. Minnesota captures lightning in a bottle once and won't likely again.
i do not blame you one little tiny bit, my friend. Just try not to lump us all together.

if just a couple of our wingers work out the way we want I don't know what we'd do with Vanek. Obviously he'd likely be better than them for a few years at least but at a much larger cap hit and possibly a less than ideal contract length. That cap hit could mean the difference in paying a couple of those guys.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 05:34 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsjohn130 View Post
If he joins the Wild in a year, we will be. With him + our prospects joining...the Wild will be a contender.
Still don't see the wild being a contender.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 05:36 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Sorry for the Wild fans. Ever since they got Parise and Suter they have had this smugness.

BTW Minnesota could be a contender.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 05:45 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Zucker, 1st, Lucia for Vanek at 2/3 salary. Not sure how the Wild would feel about not having a 1st 2 years in a row, but their prospect pool could probably make up for it.
Not sure whether to laugh or call the nuthouse to come get ya.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:28 PM
VegasSabreFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
Once Heatley comes off the books Vanek will fit in nicely.

One of the reasons the Wild went out and got Pominville was due to his friendship with Vanek. Fletcher wanted to make playing for Minnesota an offer he couldn't refuse.

If I had to put money on where he lands I would say Minnesota.
that makes no sense. First Pominville is a UFA at the end of this year as well so there is no guarantee he stays. Second, why wouldn't the Wild have just traded for Vanek last year instead of getting Pominville?

VegasSabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:37 PM
VegasSabreFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Like I said in another thread I like Parise, Suter, Pominville, Vanek and Koivu but all 5 have accomplished absolutely nothing in their NHL careers. You may be a contender on paper but locking up $35 Million over the next 5+ years in aging perpetual losers isn't the best way to build a real contender.
So apparently the only accomplishment in the NHL is to win the cup.

Parise captained a NJ team that went to Finals. When the Sabres actually had a team around Vanek and Pominville they went to back to back conference finals. I know none of them have their name on the cup, but its not like these guys are in their mid 30's without winning a playoff series.

VegasSabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Still don't see the wild being a contender.
Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Vanek-Granlund-Pominville
Zucker-Haula-Cooke
Lucia/Rupp-Brodziak-Mitchell

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Spurgeon
Ballard-Dumba

Not sure if serious....... Some defensive help and that's a Cup favorite.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:28 PM
VilleLeino

im going to laugh when he doesnt sign with the wild... The guy is from Austria not Minnesota....

VilleLeino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:30 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleLeino View Post
im going to laugh when he doesnt sign with the wild... The guy is from Austria not Minnesota....
He spent a good chunk of his life in Minnesota. He has a lot of ties to the state and family there now.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleLeino View Post
Suter is from Wisconsin, not Minnesota.

Old
07-20-2013, 07:37 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Guessing they won't deal him in division, because the Wings would want to lock him up afterwards. But they have plenty of winger depth on the farm to make this trade happen, while coughing up one of Tatar or Nyquist from the actual roster, along with the pick.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSabreFan View Post
So apparently the only accomplishment in the NHL is to win the cup.
Yes because that was exactly what I said. Minnesota has enough forwards and forward depth through young players that they would be much better off spending the $7+ Million that Vanek will cost them each year on players who have been there and done that. I realize they never had a shot at him because he wanted to go back to Pittsburgh but guys like Rob Scuderi are the types of players the Wild should be focusing on signing... not Vanek. Even if he replaces Heatley the Wild have quite a few young players that don't exactly fit in a bottom 6 role and are more than capable of stepping in at a contender level.

And if we really want to touch on your second point... Kovalchuk did more lifting in that finals run than Parise did. Team was so heavy it broke the poor guys back. And Vanek and Pominville have accomplished nothing in the playoffs since the co-captains left. That just further illustrates why the Wild would be better off getting guys who have been through it all.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:40 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Vanek-Granlund-Pominville
Zucker-Haula-Cooke
Lucia/Rupp-Brodziak-Mitchell

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Spurgeon
Ballard-Dumba

Not sure if serious....... Some defensive help and that's a Cup favorite.
Not a favorite, that puts you in an argument with the Blues for the second best team in your division.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:44 PM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Would a 1st line roster player + top prospect suffice?

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Not a favorite, that puts you in an argument with the Blues for the second best team in your division.
Which is why I said with some additions to the defense.

And Chicago's in the Central too.

Old
07-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSabreFan View Post
that makes no sense. First Pominville is a UFA at the end of this year as well so there is no guarantee he stays. Second, why wouldn't the Wild have just traded for Vanek last year instead of getting Pominville?
Pominville will sign with Minnesota I have no reason to think otherwise, and there is a lot of talk about Fletcher making the trade for Pominville specifically to lure Vanek to Minnesota. I also think the price for Vanek was more than what the Wild were willing to pay at the time, although they paid a lot for Pominville.

I'm not guaranteeing anything either, a lot can happen in a year. I'm just saying I like the Wild's chances of landing Vanek over most other teams after this season.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Sigh. Every year we go through this, with people citing huge demands.

Colby Armstrong
Erik Christensen
Angelo Esposito
1st 2008 (Daultan Leveille)

Johnny Oduya
Niclas Bergfors
Patrice Cormier
1st 2010

None of those players or prospects were considered "elite," although expectations for the Pittsburgh package were higher than the end result. Nevertheless, Atlanta had to "throw in" Dupuis, who turned out better than everything they got. Now Buffalo may get a better deal due to an apparent willingness to hold much, if not the maximum allotted, salary, but "great prospects"? No. They will get decent ones, maybe one of them is higher rated than the other, and it will be topped off with a first. Mercenaries simply do not return a king's ransom.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:56 PM
nEaLB4ZoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Yes because that was exactly what I said. Minnesota has enough forwards and forward depth through young players that they would be much better off spending the $7+ Million that Vanek will cost them each year on players who have been there and done that. I realize they never had a shot at him because he wanted to go back to Pittsburgh but guys like Rob Scuderi are the types of players the Wild should be focusing on signing... not Vanek. Even if he replaces Heatley the Wild have quite a few young players that don't exactly fit in a bottom 6 role and are more than capable of stepping in at a contender level.

And if we really want to touch on your second point... Kovalchuk did more lifting in that finals run than Parise did. Team was so heavy it broke the poor guys back. And Vanek and Pominville have accomplished nothing in the playoffs since the co-captains left. That just further illustrates why the Wild would be better off getting guys who have been through it all.
While we all hate Wild fan's arrogance as it pertains to Vanek, in all fairness Vanek did have 5 goals in his last playoff series, which is exactly nothing.

nEaLB4ZoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:58 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
er, KHL?
Did you not read what I said?? I think he signed in the KHL because he wants out of Winnipeg. Also his contract is 2 years if I'm not mistaken, so there is also a possibility that he goes to the KHL, and then comes back to the NHL, when Buffalo start heading into their transition period, he will still only be 23-24.

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post

Colby Armstrong
Erik Christensen
Angelo Esposito

Johnny Oduya
Niclas Bergfors
Patrice Cormier
1st 2010

None of those players or prospects were considered "elite," although expectations for the Pittsburgh package were higher than the end result. Nevertheless, Atlanta had to "throw in" Dupuis, who turned out better than everything they got. Now Buffalo may get a better deal due to an apparent willingness to hold much, if not the maximum allotted, salary, but "great prospects"? No. They will get decent ones, maybe one of them is higher rated than the other, and it will be topped off with a first. Mercenaries simply do not return a king's ransom.
I think most people anticipate that Vanek will be dealt before the season starts.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:11 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post

Colby Armstrong
Erik Christensen
Angelo Esposito

Johnny Oduya
Niclas Bergfors
Patrice Cormier
1st 2010

Kovalchuk got:
a 29 year old top 4 defensman
a promising young player (at the time he was)
a good prospect
a 1st

Hossa got:
a 26 year top 6 winger(at the time) who still had upside
a prospect with HUGE hype following him
a 1st round pick
a decent young center who still had upside ( again at the time)

Now with hindsight these deals don't seem to have returned much but at the time these deals were hefty packages IMO. Also the game has changed alot since then, completely different situations. Who wouldn't want a 30 year old winger, still in his prime, coming off a shortened season in which he was on pace for nearly 40 goals and has had 8 20+ goal seasons in his career at 3.75 million dollars, and even less at the deadline (1.2 I think)? that deserves nothing less than a kings ransom.

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Jet Set

As a Pens fan, I wouldn't mind giving up one of our young d-men, like Harrington or Maata just so I could see a future Buffalo d-corps of Myers, Ristolainen, Zadarov and one of our guys.

Jet Set is offline   Reply With Quote