HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thomas Vanek (Buffalo Sabres)

Old
07-20-2013, 09:20 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Set View Post
As a Pens fan, I wouldn't mind giving up one of our young d-men, like Harrington or Maata just so I could see a future Buffalo d-corps of Myers, Ristolainen, Zadarov and one of our guys.
I would think Regier would ask for Bennet and a 1st+ cap dump, but that will never happen.

/dream

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:28 PM
VilleLeino

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
He spent a good chunk of his life in Minnesota. He has a lot of ties to the state and family there now.
so does every Toronto boy sign with the leafs? ties to city=playing for team I guess...

VilleLeino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Jet Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
I would think Regier would ask for Bennet and a 1st+ cap dump, but that will never happen.

/dream
Yea, I figured that much. I was just saying I wouldn't mind seeing a d-corps like that made up, as a hockey fan, not as a Pens fan

Jet Set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:34 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Set View Post
Yea, I figured that much. I was just saying I wouldn't mind seeing a d-corps like that made up, as a hockey fan, not as a Pens fan
Oh yeah I got that, and it would be pretty sweet admittingly, always liked what London do with D-men, really excited to see what the Hunters do with Zadorov .
Miller
for
Harrington+2nd

Old
07-20-2013, 10:48 PM
DJOpus

1st + Jensen + Booth for Vanek @ 50%...

Canucks will take Booth back at the deadline for "future considerations".

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:08 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Which is why I said with some additions to the defense.

And Chicago's in the Central too.
Hence the second best, not the favorite in their division and certainly not a favorite in the league, without massive D adds, you don't get close to them. Even with improvements you're in a fight with the Blues in my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:15 PM
VegasSabreFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
That just further illustrates why the Wild would be better off getting guys who have been through it all.
When was the last time someone who did the heavy lifting in a cup win actually made it to free agency before the twilight of their career?

VegasSabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:18 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSabreFan View Post
When was the last time someone who did the heavy lifting in a cup win actually made it to free agency before the twilight of their career?
Does Horton's string of GWG's qualify him, know he got knocked out in the finals, but he was a prime time performer in that run and just made it to Free agency a couple years after this past off-season.

Brad Richards won a Conn Smythe signed, got traded then hit free agency again, although that looks like it was a twilight situation unless he can get that turned around.

Pronger basically opted out of Anaheim too.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:22 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Jensen + kassian + 1st for a signed vanek.

Lucbourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:52 PM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flacko View Post
Lmao what? How is Minnesota his home?
Home is where the hart is.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 12:18 AM
LotteryForLife*

Thank you for clarifying that Thomas Vanek does indeed play for the Buffalo Sabres

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 01:09 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleLeino View Post
so does every Toronto boy sign with the leafs? ties to city=playing for team I guess...
Ties to the area. Vanek has practiced in the off-season, his wife is from around here (and is probably going to start a family here) and has friends on the team. College =/= CHL.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 01:27 AM
VilleLeino

Quote:
Ties to the area. Vanek has practiced in the off-season, his wife is from around here (and is probably going to start a family here) and has friends on the team. College =/= CHL.
You under estimate the power of the paper stacks and I hope he doesnt sign with the wild...Just to laugh at all the smug annoying fans who just pencil him in already... Who cares if he went to college there or his wife is from there hes going to the winner who pays him the most green my friend.

Being born in Toronto and growing up a leaf fan hasn't got them many FA's because guess what its all about the $$ so try to come back to reality chief

VilleLeino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 01:42 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleLeino View Post
You under estimate the power of the paper stacks and I hope he doesnt sign with the wild...Just to laugh at all the smug annoying fans who just pencil him in already... Who cares if he went to college there or his wife is from there hes going to the winner who pays him the most green my friend.

Being born in Toronto and growing up a leaf fan hasn't got them many FA's because guess what its all about the $$ so try to come back to reality chief
That's nice. I hope he walks away from Buffalo without you guys getting anything in return for him. We've been down that road and it's not fun. And what makes you think the Wild won't be willing to offer up the most money in the first place? I could see us going up to $8 million a year. That's a lot of money to be tied up in just a handful of players, but the salary cap will rise every year so it won't end up being so bad.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 03:05 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
Kovalchuk got:
a 29 year old top 4 defensman
a promising young player (at the time he was)
a good prospect
a 1st

Hossa got:
a 26 year top 6 winger(at the time) who still had upside
a prospect with HUGE hype following him
a 1st round pick
a decent young center who still had upside ( again at the time)

Now with hindsight these deals don't seem to have returned much but at the time these deals were hefty packages IMO. Also the game has changed alot since then, completely different situations. Who wouldn't want a 30 year old winger, still in his prime, coming off a shortened season in which he was on pace for nearly 40 goals and has had 8 20+ goal seasons in his career at 3.75 million dollars, and even less at the deadline (1.2 I think)? that deserves nothing less than a kings ransom.
Trade deadline is roughly 30% of the season left. Teams have in the low 20s the number of games left.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 03:11 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
That's nice. I hope he walks away from Buffalo without you guys getting anything in return for him. We've been down that road and it's not fun. And what makes you think the Wild won't be willing to offer up the most money in the first place? I could see us going up to $8 million a year. That's a lot of money to be tied up in just a handful of players, but the salary cap will rise every year so it won't end up being so bad.

Buffal went through Brierre and drury walking away for nothing in 2007....they have also seen talinder, Lydman, and a few other players walk away for nothing.

This is why buffalo WILL trade Vanek and Miller before the deadline.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 03:34 AM
Joey Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
As a Sabres fan and a huge Vanek supporter, this annoying behaviour by some Minnesota fans is wildly irritating. I like Vanek and if he would feel most comfortable in Minnesota, i'd be happy to see him win a cup there. Especially with another one of my favorites, Jason Pominville.

But to come in a trade proposal thread and claim that Minny doesn't have to give up anything for him because he'll just sign there next year and that no other team should consider trading for him since he'll walk away to play at home anyway is simply ridiculous and reflects a Youtube flamewar mentality rather than an actual will to discuss hockey in a civilized manner.

Last edited by DaveG: 07-21-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Joey Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 04:01 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
Pominville will sign with Minnesota I have no reason to think otherwise, and there is a lot of talk about Fletcher making the trade for Pominville specifically to lure Vanek to Minnesota. I also think the price for Vanek was more than what the Wild were willing to pay at the time, although they paid a lot for Pominville.

I'm not guaranteeing anything either, a lot can happen in a year. I'm just saying I like the Wild's chances of landing Vanek over most other teams after this season.
Pretty contradicting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Banana View Post
As a Sabres fan and a huge Vanek supporter, this annoying behaviour by some Minnesota fans is wildly irritating. I like Vanek and if he would feel most comfortable in Minnesota, i'd be happy to see him win a cup there. Especially with another one of my favorites, Jason Pominville.

But to come in a trade proposal thread and claim that Minny doesn't have to give up anything for him because he'll just sign there next year and that no other team should consider trading for him since he'll walk away to play at home anyway is simply ridiculous and reflects a Youtube flamewar mentality rather than an actual will to discuss hockey in a civilized manner.
Thank you for saying some fans, at least. On a different note, if you listen to the logical fans, we don't have the prospect pool depth to give up another Pominville like haul. And we most certainly don't want to give up another first round pick. Yes, we surely do hope that Fletcher pursues Vanek in the offseason, but the price is far too steep to acquire him during the year. Especially for a GM who has preached the future in prospect pool threw a good portion of depth away last year. I'm at about a 30-40% chance that Vanek will sign with Minnesota compared to the 5% for Parise and Suter. Even then, that still isn't much.

Last edited by DaveG: 07-21-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:10 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
wait, his wife starts another family in Minny? You do know that they already have kids and all that, right?

They won't trade him before the deadline, if we're making the playoffs this year, Vanek stays. In the early days his BFF was Kotalik, he didn't follow him around, did he?

IMO:

50% staying
35% Graz 99ers
15% other NHL teams

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:14 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Just so everyone knows where many are coming from with their confidence that Vanek will sign in Minnesota.

It's not just the ties alone... those are reasons why he would, but the reason Minnesota fans have confidence in this is because many local insiders who know Vanek have said publicly here that he wants to sign with Minnesota next year. They were supposedly told that by Vanek himself.

When you get fed that on all the sports radio shows and then you have the beat writers locally calling it all but a done deal, it tends to bleed that confidence into the fanbase.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:11 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Just so everyone knows where many are coming from with their confidence that Vanek will sign in Minnesota.

It's not just the ties alone... those are reasons why he would, but the reason Minnesota fans have confidence in this is because many local insiders who know Vanek have said publicly here that he wants to sign with Minnesota next year. They were supposedly told that by Vanek himself.

When you get fed that on all the sports radio shows and then you have the beat writers locally calling it all but a done deal, it tends to bleed that confidence into the fanbase.
I don't believe that for a second. Vanek is a professional. He's not going to be off running his mouth/listing possible FA destinations while he's still under contract to another team.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:36 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
wait, his wife starts another family in Minny? You do know that they already have kids and all that, right?

They won't trade him before the deadline, if we're making the playoffs this year, Vanek stays. In the early days his BFF was Kotalik, he didn't follow him around, did he?

IMO:

50% staying
35% Graz 99ers
15% other NHL teams
dont worry, that won't be happening. If i were the sabres i would trade him before the season starts to make sure you can rival the flames for that first/second overall.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:31 AM
tmack224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Jensen + kassian + 1st for a signed vanek.
Deal

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:33 AM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I don't believe that for a second. Vanek is a professional. He's not going to be off running his mouth/listing possible FA destinations while he's still under contract to another team.
agreed. Especially not Vanek, I can't see him saying that at all.

Old
07-21-2013, 08:37 AM
jc17

vCash: 250
I still think Vanek would be good for the Isles and Edmonton. Both teams could use that 1 more big scorer. Tavares and Vanek would be scary and Vanek would be a nice veteran touch the Oilers seem to need.

Does anyone have any idea of what Vanek could get the Sabres from either of those teams?

jc17 is offline   Reply With Quote