HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thomas Vanek (Buffalo Sabres)

Old
07-21-2013, 05:02 PM
kfan22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
I have only two words for you:
Prove it.
Prove it, that Vanek has told 1 person he wants to play there, if you manage to do so, from a credible source ( not your uncle's cousin's brother in law) l will believe you, but for now all you have said is pure and utter bull****.
How the heck could I prove it?? it is NOT a reliable NHL source who I got this from. I know a person who is friends with Vanek and went to school with him at the U of M, didnt play hockey with him but is a good friend. But I dont expect you to believe me and guess what I dont care. And your reason to not believe me is because you think a guy on a message board cant know someone who knows a pro athlete.

And Like I said His want is to play for the Wild that doesnt mean he will end up here. I dont know even if the Wild are interested I am sure they are but I cant confirm that

kfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:07 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
I agree that it isn't exactly a compelling argument ( I was hoping he'd have an article or something) but this guy just pops up in EVERY SINGLE thomas Vanek thread saying he will sign in Minny because "I know someone that talks to vanek and he said that he will play for minny" or something along those lines, it just pisses me off that in every Vanek thread I see his username and I was hoping that by asking him to prove it he would stop.
Also doesn't mean much until pen hits paper. These kind of stories swirled around Detroit with Suter, you feel awfully silly once it doesn't happen. Team sources, prominent press members, some leaked former teammates, meant nothing at the end of the day. If Vanek hits free agency he is going to get a plethora of offers.

Maybe he just wants to keep his summer home in Minny and play for another team once that is happening. But it is far from a done deal, many franchises and fan-bases have learned this the hard way. The expectations are going to be crushing in terms of Vanek to Minny at this point.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:17 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
How the heck could I prove it?? it is NOT a reliable NHL source who I got this from. I know a person who is friends with Vanek and went to school with him at the U of M, didnt play hockey with him but is a good friend. But I dont expect you to believe me and guess what I dont care. And your reason to not believe me is because you think a guy on a message board cant know someone who knows a pro athlete.

And Like I said His want is to play for the Wild that doesnt mean he will end up here. I dont know even if the Wild are interested I am sure they are but I cant confirm that
Well then stop going on each and every Vanek thread saying this nonesense, it's driving most of us crazy!!! Dennis Gudbranson is Erik's brother and we all went to the same highscool ( I was in grade 7 and so was dennis, whilst his brother was in 12th grade) I met him and asked him if he would have any preference for who he would like to play for, he said Montreal and Ottawa would be cool since it's close to home. It means NOTHING AT ALL, it's worthless information, so stop mentioning it at every single time Vanek's name comes up.

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:21 PM
kfan22

Quote:
I agree that it isn't exactly a compelling argument ( I was hoping he'd have an article or something) but this guy just pops up in EVERY SINGLE thomas Vanek thread saying he will sign in Minny because "I know someone that talks to vanek and he said that he will play for minny" or something along those lines, it just pisses me off that in every Vanek thread I see his username and I was hoping that by asking him to prove it he would stop.
Here is one article

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...155658428.html
Quote:
GM Darcy Regier warned Buffalo Sabres fans that building a Stanley Cup champion “may require some suffering.”
One assumed that meant more tough decisions on significant players, like the trade of captain Jason Pominville at the deadline last season. Specifically, one assumed that meant goalie Ryan Miller and winger Thomas Vanek would be moved this summer, as both enter the final years of their contracts in what should be a rebuilding year for the Sabres.
Yet here we are in the middle of July, and Miller and Vanek are both Sabres.
Regier did say he wanted to see what “the marketplace will make available” for the Sabres in the offseason. Now he’s seen it, and it sounds like Miller and Vanek could start the season in Buffalo.
From Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News, on Regier’s chat on Friday:
As with every chat with Regier, the topic of Ryan Miller and Thomas Vanek came up again and the response was much the same. Asked if he's getting resigned to the fact he may have both of them at training camp, Regier said, "I think that's fair. The nature of this business is that as we move through July lineups get more and more settled, there's less movement. Once training camp starts, things begin to change some again."
Regier said most conversations he's had with other GMs involve taking in money, a clear reference to the fact the Sabres aren't likely to be able to move the entire contract of either Vanek or Miller in a year the salary cap is shrinking to $64.3 million.

Last edited by spiny norman: 07-21-2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: please don't display entire article
Old
07-21-2013, 05:25 PM
kfan22

Quote:
Well then stop going on each and every Vanek thread saying this nonesense, it's driving most of us crazy!!! Dennis Gudbranson is Erik's brother and we all went to the same highscool ( I was in grade 7 and so was dennis, whilst his brother was in 12th grade) I met him and asked him if he would have any preference for who he would like to play for, he said Montreal and Ottawa would be cool since it's close to home. It means NOTHING AT ALL, it's worthless information, so stop mentioning it at every single time Vanek's name comes up.
Its not worthless info if VANEK himself has said this. Vanek is not entering the NHL draft, he will actually have a choice where he wants to play if he hits Free Agency next year. Big difference

Old
07-21-2013, 05:26 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc17 View Post
I still think Vanek would be good for the Isles and Edmonton. Both teams could use that 1 more big scorer. Tavares and Vanek would be scary and Vanek would be a nice veteran touch the Oilers seem to need.

Does anyone have any idea of what Vanek could get the Sabres from either of those teams?
Isles think their next big scorer will be Strome, who will either be in the ahl or nhl in 2013-2014.

NY press has said the
Isles are not giving up top youngsters, for one yr of Vanek.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:29 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Here is one article

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...155658428.html

And then he becomes a free agent and signs with the Minnesota Wild. Oh, cmon, we all know its going to happen, right?
Oh no... No... You took that seriously?

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 356
If the Sabres are not in the playoff mix (most likely) then Thomas Vanek will likely be a perfect trade deadline acquisition for some team wanting to upgrade their top 6 going into the playoffs. I expect the return to be a 1st round pick (likely 18-30) and a prospect. The final answer will likely be in the quality of the prospect as I expect multiple teams to be in on TV for their playoff run.

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:31 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Its not worthless info if VANEK himself has said this. Vanek is not entering the NHL draft, he will actually have a choice where he wants to play if he hits Free Agency next year. Big difference
This is just ridiculous,I've had enough of arguing with you. It's pointless and mainly because of you I really hope he doesnt sign in Minny.

Old
07-21-2013, 06:59 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceky View Post
he wrote it in his book

but, as one other sabres/vanek fan wrote before me: i would like him to go to Min if he doesn't stay stay in BUF, Min are for sure favorites to sign a FA Vanek .....

but this: "we give up nothing because he will knock on our door in 1 year anyways" is just..... not very humble...
As a Minnesota fan, I completely agree. The arrogance from some fellow Wild fans that he's automatically going to sign with the Wild for sure is beyond annoying. It'd be cool, and if we lock Pominville up semi-long term, I could see it happening next summer, but it's far from guaranteed.

FUBAR McDangles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:09 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Vanek-Granlund-Pominville
Zucker-Haula-Cooke
Lucia/Rupp-Brodziak-Mitchell

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Spurgeon
Ballard-Dumba

Not sure if serious....... Some defensive help and that's a Cup favorite.
To be a cup favorite you must be talking about d help the likes of Weber...Even with d help they are on par with Blues.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:18 PM
kfan22

Quote:
This is just ridiculous,I've had enough of arguing with you. It's pointless and mainly because of you I really hope he doesnt sign in Minny.
Ok LOL

Old
07-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
I believe someone mentioned it a page back or so but what would really make the Vanek to Minnesota stuff interesting is if a couple of the Wild's young forwards really have a good season this year. What if Zucker and Coyle both put up around 20 goals and 40-50 points? What if Nino or Granlund have a really solid season? Would it even be worth it to go after Vanek if our young guys really prove they're capable of handling a top 6 role? Or do you go after Vanek then trade some of the younger forwards for picks/blue-line help?

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I wouldn't feel comfortable dealing Toffoli for a guy who could potentially walk after the season and then we'd have no Vanek and no replacement in Toffoli.
Vanek might walk, you might have two stanley cups. Sometimes I think people value promising prospects ahead of winning.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:36 PM
MNWILDFAN001

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
To be a cup favorite you must be talking about d help the likes of Weber...Even with d help they are on par with Blues.
Shea Weber? That's what the Wild need? He's a 1st pairing defensemen. The Wild already have that covered. They need another 2nd pairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
I believe someone mentioned it a page back or so but what would really make the Vanek to Minnesota stuff interesting is if a couple of the Wild's young forwards really have a good season this year. What if Zucker and Coyle both put up around 20 goals and 40-50 points? What if Nino or Granlund have a really solid season? Would it even be worth it to go after Vanek if our young guys really prove they're capable of handling a top 6 role? Or do you go after Vanek then trade some of the younger forwards for picks/blue-line help?
I've thought this too. Let's see how the season plays out before we get all confident that Vanek will sign with the Wild when he becomes a FA.

MNWILDFAN001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
Vanek might walk, you might have two stanley cups. Sometimes I think people value promising prospects ahead of winning.
Might, might not. Lombardi doesn't gamble that much.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:38 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Ok LOL
Listen, you came out, started flagging out asinine statements and then came out with a random article that had Nothing to do with what we were talking about. I'm getting really tired of Wild fans like you, hope this doesn't represent the whole wild fan base cause I actually quite like the Wild.

Old
07-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
If the Sabres are not in the playoff mix (most likely) then Thomas Vanek will likely be a perfect trade deadline acquisition for some team wanting to upgrade their top 6 going into the playoffs. I expect the return to be a 1st round pick (likely 18-30) and a prospect. The final answer will likely be in the quality of the prospect as I expect multiple teams to be in on TV for their playoff run.

His return would be a 1st from a playoff team or bubble team (12-30) + 2 young players and prospects. DOES NOT MATTER if buffalo is on the bubble of playoffs---he gets moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Stoll, Clifford, Martinez, and a pick for Vanek and something else? Don't even know if we could do it cap wise for either side.
Buffalo is rebuilding ---they are looking for picks and players under 25.

Buffalo has no use in Martinez---they have enouh players who could play bottom pairing Dmen now. Next years defense currently has: Myers, Ehrhoff, Weber, Talinder, Pysyk, and McBain, Sulzer....plus younger Dmen in Ruhwedel, McNabb, Ristolainen, and Zadarov (their 2 1st round picks this year).

Stoll---meh...I know some others may like him as a 3rd line center.

Clifford--interested in him...just not for vanek. I'd send back LA's 2nd for him.

LA doesnt have much in their system that interests me other than Toffoli.

Toffoli would be the asking price.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:30 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Kovalchuk got:
a 29 year old top 4 defensman
a promising young player (at the time he was)
a good prospect
a 1st

Hossa got:
a 26 year top 6 winger(at the time) who still had upside
a prospect with HUGE hype following him
a 1st round pick
a decent young center who still had upside ( again at the time)

Now with hindsight these deals don't seem to have returned much but at the time these deals were hefty packages IMO. Also the game has changed alot since then, completely different situations. Who wouldn't want a 30 year old winger, still in his prime, coming off a shortened season in which he was on pace for nearly 40 goals and has had 8 20+ goal seasons in his career at 3.75 million dollars, and even less at the deadline (1.2 I think)? that deserves nothing less than a kings ransom.
Bergfors was never promising and New Jersey was practically delighted to trade him; apparent personal issues or what have you was the going claim. Esposito was considered overrated at the time and proved to be just that. Oduya was the only worthwhile player in that package even at the time of the trade.

A huge following is irrelevant. Both Armstrong and Christensen were a product of Crosby and Pittsburgh immense scoring prowess. Granted, Christensen completely sunk into obscurity, but he was never highly touted.

Those deals were decent, but draw distinct parallels to the Iginla trade; neither Pittsburgh or New Jersey gave up their top tier prospects or established roster players they felt made a worthwhile contribution. While those deals were better for the obvious reason. The trend remains the same. Buffalo does have the opportunity to bolster their return due to withholding salary, as previously mentioned. However, I stand firm you will be disappointed if you anticipate a king's ransom.

Just to use Vancouver as an example. Jensen/Gaunce, 1st, 2nd for Vanek at a reduced salary. Perhaps, that second becomes a B level prospect, but thereabouts is the highest I see Vancouver going, and I suspect teams interested will make similar offers.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:34 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armond White View Post
Question: what's the legality of Buffalo allowing, say, the Canucks to negotiate an extension with Vanek before a trade?
If I am not mistaken. Vancouver would either have a hand shake arrangement with Vanek prior to the trade and per Buffalo's permission to make such negotiations, or Buffalo would technically sign Vanek and trade him immediately after.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:16 AM
trueleafsfan1

Vanek would be deadly in LA

Vanek-Kopitar-brown
Carter-Richards-Williams

One of the best top 6 in the league.

Asking would at least be Toffoli+

trueleafsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 05:41 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
I can't wait to reply to this thread next year when Vanek signs a deal with the team he got traded to and it isn't Minnesota. Just to shove it in the pompous faces of a few here who certainly deserve some humble pie. So glad there's an ignore feature here but it needs to be available on the mobile version of the site also.

Vanek won't get the best package ever seen but he will get a nice return. Better than Pominville I'd wager.

By the way, Vanek doesn't even know where he will sign next year. It IS literally impossible to predict this outcome today.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:36 AM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Bergfors was never promising and New Jersey was practically delighted to trade him; apparent personal issues or what have you was the going claim. Esposito was considered overrated at the time and proved to be just that. Oduya was the only worthwhile player in that package even at the time of the trade.

A huge following is irrelevant. Both Armstrong and Christensen were a product of Crosby and Pittsburgh immense scoring prowess. Granted, Christensen completely sunk into obscurity, but he was never highly touted.

Those deals were decent, but draw distinct parallels to the Iginla trade; neither Pittsburgh or New Jersey gave up their top tier prospects or established roster players they felt made a worthwhile contribution. While those deals were better for the obvious reason. The trend remains the same. Buffalo does have the opportunity to bolster their return due to withholding salary, as previously mentioned. However, I stand firm you will be disappointed if you anticipate a king's ransom.

Just to use Vancouver as an example. Jensen/Gaunce, 1st, 2nd for Vanek at a reduced salary. Perhaps, that second becomes a B level prospect, but thereabouts is the highest I see Vancouver going, and I suspect teams interested will make similar offers.
That to me is an excellent return, add booth for cap resons and the deal is almost perfect.Love it.

Old
07-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post
Why on earth would we trade for his rights?

Let someone else empty their cupboards for him and we can just sign him in FA.

BTW, I am calling it now...whoever trades for Vanek isn't going to resign him...he is pulling a Parise and finishing his career at home.
Austria?

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:06 AM
sabres_phan

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
I can't wait to reply to this thread next year when Vanek signs a deal with the team he got traded to and it isn't Minnesota. Just to shove it in the pompous faces of a few here who certainly deserve some humble pie. So glad there's an ignore feature here but it needs to be available on the mobile version of the site also.

Vanek won't get the best package ever seen but he will get a nice return. Better than Pominville I'd wager.

By the way, Vanek doesn't even know where he will sign next year. It IS literally impossible to predict this outcome today.
I agree. I think part of it has to do with some Minny fans still being a little ******** over what they gave up for Pominville. What would be even funnier is watching Pommer sign elsewhere. There is some unbelievable arrogance on display here.

sabres_phan is offline   Reply With Quote