HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Prospect Rankings #8

View Poll Results: Who is the Blues #8 prospect?
Schmaltz 23 42.59%
Vannelli 8 14.81%
Edmundson 12 22.22%
Binnington 6 11.11%
Lundstrom 2 3.70%
Kurker 0 0%
Veilleux 0 0%
Beach 0 0%
Andronov 1 1.85%
MacEachern 0 0%
Fairchild 0 0%
Wannstrom 0 0%
Tesink 0 0%
McRae 0 0%
Lehtera 2 3.70%
Gardiner 0 0%
Grachev 0 0%
Ponich 0 0%
Lindbohm 0 0%
Pochiro 0 0%
Parayko 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2013, 11:59 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Blues Prospect Rankings #8

1) Tarasenko
2) Schwartz
3) Rattie
4) Allen
5) Jaskin
6) Carrier
7) Hakanpaa

I'll be voting for Schmaltz here.

Old
07-29-2013, 01:02 AM
Robb_K

I resent not being able to vote for #6 or 7 just being away for 2 days. I'd vote for Schmaltz here over Vanelli. They have similar skills and upsides. But Schmaltz has a big body to grow into.

Last edited by Robb_K: 07-29-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old
07-29-2013, 02:15 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
IMO 8-10 are the three defensemen in some order. None are projected top pair, so therefore I go in order of on-track development: Edmundson, Schwartz, Vanelli.

Old
07-29-2013, 02:39 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
IMO 8-10 are the three defensemen in some order. None are projected top pair, so therefore I go in order of on-track development: Edmundson, Schwartz, Vanelli.
I assume that you mean Schmaltz. The only Schwartz The Blues had was a goalie (and maybe even that was spelt: "Schwarz".

Old
07-29-2013, 04:36 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I resent not being able to vote for #6 or 7 just being away for 2 days. I'd vote for Schmaltz here over Vanelli. They have similar skills and upsides. But Schmaltz has a big body to grow into.
Well, to be fair, Schmaltz is the same height as Vannelli.

Old
07-29-2013, 05:21 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

I'm going with Schmaltz here at #8

Old
07-29-2013, 05:33 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
Well, to be fair, Schmaltz is the same height as Vannelli.
I thought that Schmaltz is 6:03 and Vanelli is 6:02. In any case, they appear to be in the same general player type (good offensive sense, good at carrying the puck, good at passing in the offensive zone, and both must grow into their bodies, and become better in their own zone, and also develop a more physical game. They both seem to have high upside potential, but have risk of not rounding out their games enough to be difference-makers on the NHL level. I would have a tough time hoosing between the 2 at this point in their careers.

Old
07-29-2013, 07:12 AM
Alklha

I'd take Schmaltz at this point. Edmundson looks good, and while he is further along in his development, I don't think his upside is anywhere near as high. Vannelli I can't really say anything about.

I could very easily see Lindbohm making out team in a few years. Big, physically commanding defenseman with a good shot and defensive positional sense. Skating and overcommitting offensively are his issues just now.

Binnington and Lundström are just total gambles just now. Both have the same upside, and they've both come along well since being drafted but are basically at a point where they haven't had a chance to show enough to be ranked very highly.

Had Lehterä signed, I'd imagine he'd have already made the list. Now I don't expect to see him picking up any votes for a while yet.

Old
07-29-2013, 08:00 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

I think Schmaltz has the higher upside here so I went with him but I think Edmunson will be a much more solid consistent player similar to Polak where you know what you are going to get every night

Old
07-29-2013, 10:08 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Voted Vannelli...not a fan of Schmaltz.

Old
07-29-2013, 10:27 AM
sdaltons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I assume that you mean Schmaltz. The only Schwartz The Blues had was a goalie (and maybe even that was spelt: "Schwarz".
except for that Jaden guy...

Old
07-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
Now we're at the point where people start picking people based on draft position. I don't see any reason why Schmaltz should be higher than Edmundson.

Last edited by Chojin: 07-29-2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old
07-29-2013, 05:21 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
Now we're at the point where people start picking people based on draft position. I don't see any reason why Schmaltz should be higher than Edmundson.
I agree i really think there is a good chance Enmundson turns into a Jason Garrison like defenseman. Defensively sound with a booming shot from the point.

Old
07-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
Voted Vannelli...not a fan of Schmaltz.
Why is that?

Frankly the people that are choosing Vannelli over Schmaltz are wrong IMO. Sure this draft was deeper and draft position may not be a factor, but in terms of Schmaltz's development, he is right on speed. Did anyone honestly expect him to light up in his 1st NCAA year last year? I didn't. He played great for his situation, and because of the fact that we have barely seen much of Vannelli, I really don't think he's that better.

Old
07-29-2013, 06:00 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
Why is that?

Frankly the people that are choosing Vannelli over Schmaltz are wrong IMO. Sure this draft was deeper and draft position may not be a factor, but in terms of Schmaltz's development, he is right on speed. Did anyone honestly expect him to light up in his 1st NCAA year last year? I didn't. He played great for his situation, and because of the fact that we have barely seen much of Vannelli, I really don't think he's that better.
They are both projects. Schmaltz didn't do anything to disappoint IMO but he also didn't do anything to impress either IMO. We are getting to a point in the prospect ranking that we'll be lucky if the player turns into an NHL player. It's not a shot at the players but when you get late first round and later they in general are all projects.

At the least these players are 2 years away from the NHL now could be 3-4 years they could never reach it.

I think at this point you could ask 10 professional scouts and their answers would be all over the place on ranking them.

Old
07-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Had to go Binnington. I know people are hesitant to vote for or even discuss goaltending prospects, but Jordan is a pretty impressive prospect. He might even turn out better than Allen.

Our three defensemen of Edmundson, Schmaltz and Vinnelli all have just as big or bigger holes in their game. I really do like Edmundson, but he has to show more in game impact for him to jump ahead of Jordan IMO.

Old
07-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
I don't see the point in having Grachev/McRae/Lehtera still up. Anyway I think Binnington and Lundstrom are the 2 next best on the list. Voted Lundstrom since he's been playing men.

Old
07-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
Why is that?

Based on scout reports, it sounds like Vanelli's defensive game is much better than Schmaltz' was when he was drafted over a year ago. I'm not sure if that's still true today, but schmaltz' biggest problem is playing defense, and as a defensemen, that should be your number one priority. That's why I would rank Vanelli higher, because although his offense may not be the same level of Schmaltz' skills now, the difference in their offensive game isn't going to be drastically different. Vanelli's skating (and I know I sound like a broken record when I mention his skating) and defensive game is better as an 18 year old than Schmaltz' was when he was an 18 year old, and it could still be better now.

Bottom line, I feel Vanelli has a higher chance of making the NHL because of how well developed his defense is. But hey, to be fair, I honestly think that Schmaltz and Vanelli could just end up becoming the same kin of player, so I see no reason to argue on who's better now.

Old
07-29-2013, 07:12 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
Why? Schmaltz had a solid freshman season at NoDak and should progress even more this season. Edmundson had a solid season in the WHL and while he's a little further along in terms of development, I don't think his ceiling is as high as Schmaltz's. I can see the argument for valuing Edmundson over Schmaltz as he's probably a "safer" projection at this point but I don't understand all of the negative views many posters seem to have regarding Schmaltz.

Old
07-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Lehtera is still the top offensive player here. He is also the top player of anyone on the list.

Old
07-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
Lehtera is still the top offensive player here. He is also the top player of anyone on the list.
And when his contract with Sibir finishes, we'll hold his rights for 1 month before he becomes an UFA. Part of being the best prospect is the best potential to have an impact on our team, there is very little indication he had any desire to come to the Blues for next season.

Old
07-29-2013, 09:40 PM
BlueDream

Yep there is zero point in voting for Lehtera.

Old
07-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Well when youre asking who the best prospect is, and he's on the list and still in our system, he's our best prospect.

Old
07-30-2013, 01:19 PM
nicholas89alex

vCash: 333
Quote:
Well when youre asking who the best prospect is, and he's on the list and still in our system, he's our best prospect.
but if youre looking at who is going to make the biggest impact on our team then he shouldn't be high on the list. hes not gonna play for us and we cant get anything for his rights.

Old
07-30-2013, 04:13 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
How is he a prospect if he's never going to play for us?

Lehtera may be the best PLAYER on the list, but I think at least most of us realize that he isn't a prospect.

Closed Thread