HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sean Couturier signs extension with Flyers (2 years, $1.75M AAV)

Old
07-20-2013, 01:48 PM
SchultzSquared

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedingschennzy View Post
Thats adorable

Remind me what makes him so much less valuable than RNH?
I... everything??? There is not a way you could paint Couturier as a better player overall... he has less points over two years than RNH did as a rook... there is no comparison and the fact his agent could not put him into Nugent-Hopkins' tax bracket on his SECOND contract says it all...

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:50 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Or maybe he wanted a prove it contract and loves the team? Giroux signed a 2 year deal at 3.75m per for us a few years ago.
It was actually a 3 year deal for $3.75M for Giroux.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:51 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Great deal for Philly, seems like a bad deal for Couts though. Should've waited.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Good ****ing deal.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
I... everything??? There is not a way you could paint Couturier as a better player overall... he has less points over two years than RNH did as a rook... there is no comparison and the fact his agent could not put him into Nugent-Hopkins' tax bracket on his SECOND contract says it all...
We'll see at this point you can't argue that RHN is the better player offensively of the two but he doesn't have the task of going up against Malkin, Stamkos, Krejci etc. in the east like Couturier does.

Offense pays you the money & as of right now combine that with being an RFA Couturier didn't have much wiggle room. Potential can only get you so far in contract negotiations.

Old
07-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Accelleratii

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Take note OFFER SHEET THE FLYERS !!!1!!! REVENGE!!!!!: the Flyers extended him 346 days before he could be offersheeted.
This excactly. Kicks in 14-15. Awesome bridge contract.

Accelleratii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

This doesn't make any sense, how are we ever going to manage all this cap trouble we're in?! Oh noes! Glad to have Couts re-upped for 2 more years.

Philadelphia Ducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Its a good deal for a player who is still proving he can anchor one of the top two lines.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 456
Decent deal for both sides. He's definitely hoping for a big payout at the end of it.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:05 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Ok, less of an unwritten rule, more common sense then. History shows that whatever the offer-sheet may be, it'll likely just be matched, so, in essence, it only takes common sense to see that all you would be doing is inflating prices and not getting anything in return.
I understand what you're saying but If you have the chance to acquire talent, sometimes elite talent,at the expense of only draft picks then why not go for it?

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Great deal for Philly, seems like a bad deal for Couts though. Should've waited.
And be traded a year into a long-term deal to a place he doesn't like? Perhaps Couturier has learned from history and decided to play it safe.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:10 PM
04' hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Not even sure anyone would have been interested in him TBH.
Go smack some sense into yourself.....

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:13 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
This doesn't make any sense, how are we ever going to manage all this cap trouble we're in?! Oh noes! Glad to have Couts re-upped for 2 more years.
Did anyone think couturier was going to be a problem with this deal? It's a fair deal, but it wouldn't be my prime example of cap savvy moves.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:49 PM
cheesesteak

I can't believe there's people who believe this deal seals him as a bottom six player. How old will he be when this deal is over?

HFBoards

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Awesome contract for the Flyers. Likely to be a steal.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 691
But I thought bridge contracts were awful?

Good deal for both parties.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:01 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
I understand what you're saying but If you have the chance to acquire talent, sometimes elite talent,at the expense of only draft picks then why not go for it?
Because there's a 99% that talent won't be coming to your team. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Dustin Penner's offer-sheet was the only one that hasn't been matched. All you're effectively doing by offer-sheeting players is driving up prices incrementally by throwing UFA money at RFAs.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:10 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Because there's a 99% that talent won't be coming to your team. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Dustin Penner's offer-sheet was the only one that hasn't been matched. All you're effectively doing by offer-sheeting players is driving up prices incrementally by throwing UFA money at RFAs.
There's been 35 offer-sheets in the history of the NHL:
-13 were Accepted
-20 were Matched
-1 was Dropped
-1 was Invalidated

Dustin Penner was the last to be accepted in 2007 & the only in the salary cap era so far out of 8 total.

Old
07-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Krishna

Quote:
There's been 35 Offersheets signed in the NHL
13 haven't been matched
1 dropped. Whatever that means
1 invalidated

so that's 13 out of 33 that weren't matched if you leave out the last 2 in the first part of the post. Almost 40%. Far cry from the 1% you claim

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Its a good deal for a player who is still proving he can anchor one of the top two lines.
He will be the 3C.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:13 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
We'll see at this point you can't argue that RHN is the better player offensively of the two but he doesn't have the task of going up against Malkin, Stamkos, Krejci etc. in the east like Couturier does.
That was true when RNH was a rookie... but Krueger made no secret he put him out against toughs this year... on Behindthenet the very first names that come up for Nugent-Hopkins in opponents is the Duchene line (COL) the Sedins (VAN) and the Suter Brodin pairing (MIN)... he was not not only playing top lines in the West but also facing top D... and not only did he have more points than Couturier this year... he had 24 points in 40 games when Couturier had 27 in 77 last year... like I said... no competition... one is a #1 NHL center and the other is a #3...

Quote:
Offense pays you the money & as of right now combine that with being an RFA Couturier didn't have much wiggle room. Potential can only get you so far in contract negotiations.
Sure and that is all Couturier is right now... potential... but let us not forgot RNH is not only blowing him up now in offense but still has his OWN potential to reach... unless you will argue Nugent-Hopkins has hit his ceiling at 19...

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:15 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Good deal for both sides. He's the player I said he was when he was drafted. Developing just as I thought.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
That was true when RNH was a rookie... but Krueger made no secret he put him out against toughs this year... on Behindthenet the very first names that come up for Nugent-Hopkins in opponents is the Duchene line (COL) the Sedins (VAN) and the Suter Brodin pairing (MIN)... he was not not only playing top lines in the West but also facing top D... and not only did he have more points than Couturier this year... he had 24 points in 40 games when Couturier had 27 in 77 last year... like I said... no competition... one is a #1 NHL center and the other is a #3...

Sure and that is all Couturier is right now... potential... but let us not forgot RNH is not only blowing him up now in offense but still has his OWN potential to reach... unless you will argue Nugent-Hopkins has hit his ceiling at 19...
One is playing on a terrible team and another is playing on a stacked offensive team.

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Jet Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post

Seriously? RNH > Couturier. RNH has way more offensive upside right now, and is becoming a pretty good two way player according to Edmonton fans. Just because he doesn't play against Malkin, Stamkos, etc. doesn't take anything away from him.

Give me RNH every day.

Jet Set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:17 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Some curious timing here..I know its not a great a idea to negotiate mid-season or in the playoffs so this looks like Homer is worried other teams will poach his RFAs. Its not like he's in a particularly great cap situation either.
You just explained why it's not so curious at all, and a smart move.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote