HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT DC United and Washington DC agree on $300m soccer only stadium

Old
07-26-2013, 05:12 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
OT DC United and Washington DC agree on $300m soccer only stadium

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=428462

Quote:
D.C. United and city officials signed an agreement Thursday that would keep the Major League Soccer franchise in the District of Columbia with a new, $300 million soccer-only stadium.

The city and the team would split the cost of the stadium, which is tentatively scheduled to open in 2016 in an industrial section of southwest Washington known as Buzzard Point.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 07:51 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 50
These gen 2 SSSs put the gen 1s, like Toyota Park here, to such shame. So jealous of what Red Bulls, Dynamo, KC, and now DC have

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 07:58 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

When they say "soccer-only", do they mean that literally or are they just saying it's designed specifically for soccer?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 08:06 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
These gen 2 SSSs put the gen 1s, like Toyota Park here, to such shame. So jealous of what Red Bulls, Dynamo, KC, and now DC have
Hopefully they don't do what the Red Bulls and Philly Union have done and build these things on the cheap in some of the absolute worst parts of their respective cities.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 08:30 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Hopefully they don't do what the Red Bulls and Philly Union have done and build these things on the cheap in some of the absolute worst parts of their respective cities.
Harrison may not be the friendliest place, but in terms of accessibility it isn't bad. Coincidentally and unfortunately, accessibility and "safety" don't overlap all too much in New Jersey.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 08:31 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
If Toyota Park is gen 1, what is the Columbus stadium? I've heard the term glorified erector set bandied about.

Ugmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Agreed on Philadelphia, can't disagree more on Red Bull Arena. Directly adjacent to a PATH station, within walking distance to Newark Penn Station, and adjacent to the wonderful Ironbound neighborhood of Newark, which makes for one of my favorite pre-game experiences in sports. Nothing like a night game that follows a long afternoon of sipping sangria and eating Portuguese food at one of the outdoor bars. Plus, that entire area in Harrison is being gradually redeveloped. The PATH station is about to be replaced in a $250 million project, and all of the parcels around the stadium will probably eventually be mixed-use developments. The Harrison Station development (has condos, restaurants, and shops) opened in 2011.

Quote:
When they say "soccer-only", do they mean that literally or are they just saying it's designed specifically for soccer?
Just that it's designed specifically for soccer, though I haven't really seen many other events take place at Red Bull Arena. It pretty much is soccer-only.

07-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Burke the Legend

Seems pretty expensive when they just built that new CFL stadium in Winnipeg for 200 million and it has some roof coverings too.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 08:52 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It basically just means it's built with a seating capacity fit for MLS. You can have other things there: concerts, high school football, rugby, etc etc, but an NFL team will never play in one because they're tiny.

Old
07-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Generally it means 'designed primarily for soccer', or put another way, explicitly not designed for American football.

Many are built with concerts in mind...here is Dave Matthews Band playing at KC...

But some of the real junky stadiums (specifically BMO Field) aren't even good enough for concerts. They put on one show there (The Police played there the first month it was open) and it was such a failure they have yet to do another one since.

Quote:
It basically just means it's built with a seating capacity fit for MLS. You can have other things there: concerts, high school football, rugby, etc etc, but an NFL team will never play in one because they're tiny.
Well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
If Toyota Park is gen 1, what is the Columbus stadium? I've heard the term glorified erector set bandied about.
Toyota Park is a palace compared to BMO Field. BMO...now there is an erector set.

I am glad for DC. Their fans deserve their own stadium. And ya, this new wave of MLS Stadiums are really impressive. They look like miniature versions of the real big Champs League contender's stadiums. Some of those fans would kill to see their club in such a modern, yet intimate setting.

And kudos to KC. Their fans have shown up big time. Almost hard to remember the old days of them playing at Arrowhead Stadium.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 08:57 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Seems pretty expensive when they just built that new CFL stadium in Winnipeg for 200 million and it has some roof coverings too.
Again...the stadium only costs $150M. The other $150 in public money is for land and roads and whatnot. And you just can't really compare the costs of building things in different locations. Construction costs are going to much higher in larger US cities. Look how much Yankee Stadium cost compared to some of the others in baseball.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:03 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
I'd put everything before 2010 in Gen 1. The ones after that have blown the previous ones away.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:37 AM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Well guess that makes the Revs the new proud owners of the worst venue in all of MLS. Can't wait for the day the Revs join the rest of the league in the 21st century.

wildthing202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Again...the stadium only costs $150M. The other $150 in public money is for land and roads and whatnot. And you just can't really compare the costs of building things in different locations. Construction costs are going to much higher in larger US cities. Look how much Yankee Stadium cost compared to some of the others in baseball.
I was going to say. How on earth does a stadium that size cost $300m. Not surprised there's some funds for the local area in roads etc. Makes sense to improve them. Isn't Land in Washington DC a lot more expensive because there is so little and it has to often be built in certain places due to the layout of the city.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 02:15 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Time to tear down the RFK and reserve it for future Redskins stadium

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 02:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

$300 mil seems outrageous to me. It's not like they're putting 50k in the stands 40 nights a year.

I guess if you think about it, the land part the City is coming up with is going to involve a lot of creative financing and deals on the backend, so it's not that bad.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
$300 mil seems outrageous to me. It's not like they're putting 50k in the stands 40 nights a year.

I guess if you think about it, the land part the City is coming up with is going to involve a lot of creative financing and deals on the backend, so it's not that bad.
$150m is for the stadium I think. So $150m for a 20,000 seater isn't terrible. Think that's mostly higher than other stadiums that size due to the price of the land in DC. $7500 per seat by the way. Price of other similar stadiums in the MLS

Montreal - 2008 Saputo Stadium - $40m in total for the original build in 2008 which was $17m and $23m for the expansion in 2012 for Montreal admission into the MLS.

Houston - 2012 BBVA Compass Stadium - $95.5m. $35.5m from the city of Houston and $60m from the Houston Dynamo. Capacity of 22,000.

Kansas - 2011 Sporting Park - $30m in an economic incentive package. Capacity of 18,500.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

A very interesting funding model. It'll be interesting to see if this catches on with other teams in other sports.

Quote:
it's an alternative way of saying SSS... these things can host other sports (small time football, rugby, concerts).

Crew Stadium is basically a large scale version of a high school football stadium, and not the nice kind that they have in Texas. MLS has since gone over to Europe and actually looked at 20,000 seat soccer stadiums and learned how to build such things.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 02:59 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
I believe Houston's SSS host small time Division I college football team.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 05:54 PM
PCSPounder

I have to get to Kansas... which is a statement my wife will only barely tolerate. She understands, but...

I know there's a bit of cookie cutter when it comes to LA, Dallas, Denver, and Chicago, maybe Salt Lake. The funny thing... compared to those, I really liked how Columbus is right on top of the pitch. Still, yes, it's a glorified erector set and it's no wonder the Crew want something by the complex with Nationwide and the ballpark.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 06:00 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
I believe Houston's SSS host small time Division I college football team.
Texas Southern, an HBCU in the FCS.

Dallas's stadium hosts the FCS National Championship Game.

$300 million would be an absurd figure for a SSS...but only half of that money is on the stadium, which is about what should be expected for something built around DC. The costs to build anything are inherently more expensive there than, say, Kansas City.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 07:08 PM
DelpoRafaKilla

FC Dallas stadium hosts high school football weekly and concerts.

DelpoRafaKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Vamos Rafa
Ban ADT

Do Sounders fans want their own SSS? I know CenturyLink Field is suitable for soccer, but the image is still there: They share it with the more popular team.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 07:40 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Do Sounders fans want their own SSS? I know CenturyLink Field is suitable for soccer, but the image is still there: They share it with the more popular team.
Who cares? They fill it better than any team in the league. Why would Paul Allen build another 40,000 seat stadium? They're too big to have an SSS.

Old
07-26-2013, 08:05 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Yeah, I could see a team like the Revolution (if they weren't owned by Kraft that is) wanting a SSS where they're drawing 15,000 in an NFL stadium but the Sounders consistently draw 35,000-40,000 in an NFL stadium. No reason to build a 40,000 seat SSS and no reason to build say a 25,000 seat SSS when you can draw 10,000-15,000 over that at fairly high prices for MLS.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote