HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Favorite season since 04-05 lockout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-21-2013, 07:04 PM
  #1
PavelBure9
Registered User
 
PavelBure9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Favorite season since 04-05 lockout

The easy answer is 11-12 but I loved the 10-11 team. That team had some serious guts.

PavelBure9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:08 PM
  #2
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,832
vCash: 50
10-11 for me as well

__________________
Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:16 PM
  #3
E-Train
Registered User
 
E-Train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,256
vCash: 500
05-06. Picked to be 30th in the league and smoked the Flyers in the season opener.

E-Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:23 PM
  #4
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,556
vCash: 500
11-12 is the obvious first choice, but the second I would say could be 06-07. Rangers won their first playoff series since 1997 I believe, Nylander has a hat trick.



The Buffalo series was one of the best I've experienced as a fan. We come *this* close to beating Buffalo in Game 5 and going to MSG up 3-2... Drury.

__________________

Last edited by Jabroni: 07-21-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:32 PM
  #5
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,739
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
11-12 is the obvious first choice, but the second I would say could be 06-07. Rangers won their first playoff series since 1997 I believe, Nylander has a hat trick.

The Buffalo series was one of the best I've experienced as a fan. We come *this* close to beating Buffalo in Game 5 and going to MSG up 3-2... Drury.
Those two stand out to me as well.

__________________
Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:11 PM
  #6
SA16
Two by two...
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,935
vCash: 500
05-06

SA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:17 PM
  #7
Blue Seat Spartan
Registered User
 
Blue Seat Spartan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond County, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
It's pretty hard for me to rank my favorite post-2005 lockout seasons for the Rangers, but here are my choices:

2005-06 - Supposedly the start of a painful rebuild period, instead the Rangers surprised fans and critics alike behind a rejuvenated Jaromir Jagr and a rookie Henrik Lundqvist. It was a joy to watch a winning hockey team at the Garden after SEVEN long & cold years. The Devils stole their thunder - first the Atlantic Division title, then a sweep in the first round - but the Rangers Renaissance was a sudden turn from the Dark Ages at MSG.

2006-07 - Truly an underrated playoff run for the Rangers. Trading for Sean Avery reinvigorated the Rangers down the stretch. And unexpectedly, they swept a Southeast Division champion Atlanta Thrashers team for their first playoff series win since 1997. Who knows what would have happened if the Rangers held on in Game 5 of their semifinal series against the Presidents' Trophy-winning Buffalo Sabres... Not a favorite to win the Cup that year, but certainly a dark horse that could have made it to the Conference Finals at the very least.

2010-11 - A joy of a team to watch. Had the privilege of seeing the 85th Anniversary squad develop a cohesive identity from the 8th Ave Blue Seats. Certainly earned their wins, and made the opposition earn theirs. Highlighted by their comeback against the Bruins which propelled their playoff push.

2011-12 - ATLANTIC DIVISION CHAMPIONS! First such honors since the 1993-94 Stanley Cup season! A Winter Classic appearance in Philadelphia ends in victory! And there were high hopes as the Rangers led the Eastern Conference through the majority of the season. High drama during the playoffs, two consecutive seven-game series and sudden death OT heroics. All heart, all hustle, all grit. It's a shame that the Rangers succumbed to their Hudson River rivals from Newark, especially with the wacky way the Stanley Cup Playoffs turned out.

Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:04 PM
  #8
Aufheben
Moderator
Crick Nash
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The jam must flow...
Country: Angola
Posts: 10,339
vCash: 130
11-12 was as close to a perfect season you can have without winning the cup. Everything just went right. Total blast.

...only for Devils/Kings to gift us with one of the lamest ever Finals.

Aufheben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:14 PM
  #9
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,657
vCash: 500
11-12, but 06-07 was the first year I had season tickets, so much fun, game 3 vs Atlanta was my first playoff game I ever went to, and Nylander scored like 30 seconds in, place was nuts en route to a 7-0 win.

I was sitting on the floor of my house for that last face off where Drury tied it with 7.7 left, just absolutely crushed.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:37 PM
  #10
Faxius
Registered User
 
Faxius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 539
vCash: 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post
It's pretty hard for me to rank my favorite post-2005 lockout seasons for the Rangers, but here are my choices:

2005-06 - Supposedly the start of a painful rebuild period, instead the Rangers surprised fans and critics alike behind a rejuvenated Jaromir Jagr and a rookie Henrik Lundqvist. It was a joy to watch a winning hockey team at the Garden after SEVEN long & cold years. The Devils stole their thunder - first the Atlantic Division title, then a sweep in the first round - but the Rangers Renaissance was a sudden turn from the Dark Ages at MSG.

2006-07 - Truly an underrated playoff run for the Rangers. Trading for Sean Avery reinvigorated the Rangers down the stretch. And unexpectedly, they swept a Southeast Division champion Atlanta Thrashers team for their first playoff series win since 1997. Who knows what would have happened if the Rangers held on in Game 5 of their semifinal series against the Presidents' Trophy-winning Buffalo Sabres... Not a favorite to win the Cup that year, but certainly a dark horse that could have made it to the Conference Finals at the very least.

2010-11 - A joy of a team to watch. Had the privilege of seeing the 85th Anniversary squad develop a cohesive identity from the 8th Ave Blue Seats. Certainly earned their wins, and made the opposition earn theirs. Highlighted by their comeback against the Bruins which propelled their playoff push.

2011-12 - ATLANTIC DIVISION CHAMPIONS! First such honors since the 1993-94 Stanley Cup season! A Winter Classic appearance in Philadelphia ends in victory! And there were high hopes as the Rangers led the Eastern Conference through the majority of the season. High drama during the playoffs, two consecutive seven-game series and sudden death OT heroics. All heart, all hustle, all grit. It's a shame that the Rangers succumbed to their Hudson River rivals from Newark, especially with the wacky way the Stanley Cup Playoffs turned out.
These are exactly my choices as well, with 05-06 probably edging out the others.

Faxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:32 AM
  #11
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 30,118
vCash: 500
11/12 for me.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:00 AM
  #12
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,471
vCash: 500
11/12 was magical. Short of aeifhaosdif obviously but magical nonetheless.... can't imagine actually winning....

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:55 AM
  #13
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post
It's pretty hard for me to rank my favorite post-2005 lockout seasons for the Rangers, but here are my choices:

2005-06 - Supposedly the start of a painful rebuild period, instead the Rangers surprised fans and critics alike behind a rejuvenated Jaromir Jagr and a rookie Henrik Lundqvist. It was a joy to watch a winning hockey team at the Garden after SEVEN long & cold years. The Devils stole their thunder - first the Atlantic Division title, then a sweep in the first round - but the Rangers Renaissance was a sudden turn from the Dark Ages at MSG.

2006-07 - Truly an underrated playoff run for the Rangers. Trading for Sean Avery reinvigorated the Rangers down the stretch. And unexpectedly, they swept a Southeast Division champion Atlanta Thrashers team for their first playoff series win since 1997. Who knows what would have happened if the Rangers held on in Game 5 of their semifinal series against the Presidents' Trophy-winning Buffalo Sabres... Not a favorite to win the Cup that year, but certainly a dark horse that could have made it to the Conference Finals at the very least.

2010-11 - A joy of a team to watch. Had the privilege of seeing the 85th Anniversary squad develop a cohesive identity from the 8th Ave Blue Seats. Certainly earned their wins, and made the opposition earn theirs. Highlighted by their comeback against the Bruins which propelled their playoff push.

2011-12 - ATLANTIC DIVISION CHAMPIONS! First such honors since the 1993-94 Stanley Cup season! A Winter Classic appearance in Philadelphia ends in victory! And there were high hopes as the Rangers led the Eastern Conference through the majority of the season. High drama during the playoffs, two consecutive seven-game series and sudden death OT heroics. All heart, all hustle, all grit. It's a shame that the Rangers succumbed to their Hudson River rivals from Newark, especially with the wacky way the Stanley Cup Playoffs turned out.
All of these.

2011-2012 has the edge over 2006-2007 as the number 1.

I still believe we were going to be one of those teams that got "hot" if we beat Buffalo in Game 5. I don't know about winning the Cup, but I was confident we would've beaten the Sens.

2007-2008 was the MOST FRUSTRATING. The team had talent but forgot what scoring was about. Had all the hype with star players. It felt like this was the year after the run we gave Buffalo the year before, plus the additions of Drury and Gomez.

The worst year was 2008-2009. That year sucked. Fun playoffs while it lasted, but my god, was that season brutal to watch.

2009-2010 was better and we missed the playoffs. We saw flashes of a good and promising team.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:02 AM
  #14
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,435
vCash: 500
05-06 for me. It was great to finally see a winning team after so long. Plus, getting to watch Jagr at that level was really special. Prucha and Hank busting onto the scene. It was exciting.

On the same note, that season was bittersweet in hindsight. It essentially nullified what was going to be a multi-year rebuild and gave Sather the go ahead to return to his old ways of "spend, spend, and spend again."

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:22 PM
  #15
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,556
vCash: 500
05-06: That Jagr 1-timer:



06-07: I thought we could do it...


Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:26 PM
  #16
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads
 
Kris Chreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC/Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 7,206
vCash: 500
05-06, and 11-12. Sports Illustrated called us the worst team in the league in their pre-season report, and I wasn't expecting much either in 05-06.

11-12, for obvious reasons.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:41 PM
  #17
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
2005-06, if only because of Jagr's season. We hadn't seen a Ranger so locked like that since Messier and Leetch in '91. Scoring might have been up in 2005, but Jagr absolutely shattered the franchise single-season points record. Hart-worthy year. I'll never forget it.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:51 PM
  #18
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
05-06: That Jagr 1-timer:

I'll always appreciate how much of a beast Jagr was for us

God damn I miss JD

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:00 PM
  #19
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,440
vCash: 500
06-07 or 11-12. Loved both those teams a ton.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 06:46 AM
  #20
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,648
vCash: 500
06-07 for sure. **** you, Drury

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:45 AM
  #21
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
05-06 for personal reasons.

11-12 for hockey reasons.

Least favorite: shortened 2013 season. They had a complete lack of identity.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 09:20 AM
  #22
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckrush View Post
05-06 for personal reasons.

11-12 for hockey reasons.

Least favorite: shortened 2013 season. They had a complete lack of identity.
08-09 was my least favorite, by far. Garbage roster with several unlikable players led by Gomez and Zherdev.

05-06 was great after such a putrid 8 years of hockey. 11-12 was probably the most likable Ranger team in my time as a fan.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:52 AM
  #23
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
05-06 for me. It was great to finally see a winning team after so long. Plus, getting to watch Jagr at that level was really special. Prucha and Hank busting onto the scene. It was exciting.

On the same note, that season was bittersweet in hindsight. It essentially nullified what was going to be a multi-year rebuild and gave Sather the go ahead to return to his old ways of "spend, spend, and spend again."
Agreed.

No one thought we were any good then Jagr and Lundqvist took over. LOTS of crap Sather gave us for years leading up to this squad. I've been a Ranger fan for 34 years, that team was one of a handful that performed well above expectations. Total surprise team, yet this time the other direction in the standings.

Personally in my life I needed that team, tough year for me, so it came just when I needed it. 11-12 was a better team and more enjoyable playoff, but 05-06 stands out to me.

And of course you are right about that success leading to Sather going back to signing guys on their last legs.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:17 AM
  #24
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,326
vCash: 500
05-06 for me. 11-12 was wonderful of course but the 05-06 team got me locked on the game for good, kinda hard to stay interested watching countless losses when you're a kid. Jagr was my idol, what a season he had. I also remember cheering for team Sweden because I wanted Hank to win the gold (dad was brutally honest that Team USA wasn't winning **** so I didn't bother..)

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:30 AM
  #25
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,419
vCash: 500
Favorite: 11-12, followed closely by 05-06.

Least Favorite: I despised this past seasons team.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.