HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which "free" acquistion would you take?

View Poll Results: Which would you take?
Milan Lucic 81 68.64%
Kris Letang 37 31.36%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-23-2013, 08:31 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Letang doesn't have good enough vision? I think most people would disagree with that..

I picked Letang just because I don't think M. Lucic is as effective on the NYR as he is with Boston.
I don't care what most people think. I watch nearly as many Pens games every year as I do Rangers games, so I've seen his game first hand plenty of times. He simply doesn't have the vision and hockey sense to be the guy running the show on the PP.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 09:24 AM
eco's bones

If the choice were between one of Karlsson, Doughty, Weber or Pietrangelo and Lucic I would go the other way and choose the d-man. IMO if there is a real pwp qb out there it's Karlsson or Subban--another guy I would take over Lucic. it's hard to quantify what Letang would be with the Rangers but replace Crosby with Stepan and Malkin with Nash and subtract gunners like Neal and Kunitz--there's going to be a real drop down in procuction. I don't think you can get an accurate picture of Letang without putting the rest of the Pen's pwp unit in the same frame.

Lucic OTOH one can picture playing the same kind of role for whatever team he laces skates on for. His modus operandi revolves around being physical and mean with some ability to put up points. His type of player often is a great playoffs player. He's kind of a cross between Cam Neely and Claude Lemieux.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
If the choice were between one of Karlsson, Doughty, Weber or Pietrangelo and Lucic I would go the other way and choose the d-man. IMO if there is a real pwp qb out there it's Karlsson or Subban--another guy I would take over Lucic. it's hard to quantify what Letang would be with the Rangers but replace Crosby with Stepan and Malkin with Nash and subtract gunners like Neal and Kunitz--there's going to be a real drop down in procuction. I don't think you can get an accurate picture of Letang without putting the rest of the Pen's pwp unit in the same frame.

Lucic OTOH one can picture playing the same kind of role for whatever team he laces skates on for. His modus operandi revolves around being physical and mean with some ability to put up points. His type of player often is a great playoffs player. He's kind of a cross between Cam Neely and Claude Lemieux.
Agreed. I think Letang is one of the most overrated players in the game today. Great skater, questionable IQ, terrible defensively. I can think of plenty of players that would put up major points dumping the puck off to Crosby and Malkin every shift.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Ola

Quote:
Without Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz etc.--Letang's production is not going to be the same. He would not have the same talent to work with--his ability to produce offense is more what we're looking at because he's not on the same level as Staal, McDonagh or Girardi defensively. He would fit in for sure but it's a pretty safe bet he won't be the same for us as he is for the Pens. Rangers don't have the complimentary players to enhance his production numbers that the Penguins do have.

Lucic OTOH probably would be somewhere around the same for us as he is for the Bruins. His game is pretty straightforward--use his size, strength and mean to crash the net and the corners--score goals and points here and there and lay a hurting on whoever gets in his way. Not a lot to figure out there.
Why would Lucic game be the same? I don't follow.

When we played Boston, they got the puck up ice and took the game to us from the drop of the puck in G1, and kept it up for more or less 300 minutes. That was in no way Lucic work.

In other words, playing for us he would spend a heck of a lot more time in his own end. At least untill AV has been able to overcome Torts disastrous transition game or lack of it, which could take years.

Lucic is great with the puck on the right side of the ice. Put him in a position to play that game, you get value from him. The same goes for Brad Richards for example. But as we have seen with Richards, we don't have that environment yet...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't care what most people think. I watch nearly as many Pens games every year as I do Rangers games, so I've seen his game first hand plenty of times. He simply doesn't have the vision and hockey sense to be the guy running the show on the PP.
Yeah, but we are talking about Milan Lucic here vs Kris Letang.

People are bringing up the top 5 Ds in the league and even mentioning Drew Doughty (literary a bit of a lol).

I love Lucic. He is great. If I am GM for like Edmonton, Lucic is a player I might even trade a "Mats Sundin" for. It has been done before. And it's easy understand the thinking behind hit.

But for the avg team, Lucic is just not more than a low scoring 2nd lineer who can fight and hit. He is never more than that. Boston is not even remotely Lucic, which some seriously seem to believe.

If we have Lucic against Boston, it don't change the outlook of that series in anyway.

We need to become a better hockey team before we can compete.

Kris Letang is no Leetch II, or even Zubov II. But he moves the puck really well. He has poise with it. He is good on the PP (undoubedtly) (while not being a player who in anyway makes a PP). He is solid defensively.

Old
07-23-2013, 03:27 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Why would Lucic game be the same? I don't follow.

When we played Boston, they got the puck up ice and took the game to us from the drop of the puck in G1, and kept it up for more or less 300 minutes. That was in no way Lucic work.

In other words, playing for us he would spend a heck of a lot more time in his own end. At least untill AV has been able to overcome Torts disastrous transition game or lack of it, which could take years.

Lucic is great with the puck on the right side of the ice. Put him in a position to play that game, you get value from him. The same goes for Brad Richards for example. But as we have seen with Richards, we don't have that environment yet...
More than less because Lucic's game is fairly simple. Basically he's a 2nd line skilled tough guy and I'm pretty sure that he's figured what his strengths are --mostly causing havoc in the attacking zone--and he plays to those strengths. That's been his road to success. I would think most coaches would immediately use him the way that Julien does and not try to get him to play any other way.

If he were to come here Letang would be expected to 'save' our pwp--be the point man who runs things and he's not the go to guy who runs the pwp in Pittsburgh--the onus for that is on Crosby/Malkin. He's not good enough to more than moderately improve our pwp--that's an opinion by the way and he's not nearly on the same level as McDonagh, Staal or Girardi in his own end. For the money he's making he's a good deal for the Pens but for almost any other team--not so good. If we're looking for a more legit guy to run a pwp it would be Karlsson (who IMO is the most dangerous d-man on the planet) or Subban and maybe a handful of others but not Letang.

Letang needs the right environment to excel--Lucic goes out and takes his.

Old
07-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Ola

Eco- My take in it is just that since we spend a lot less time in the attacking zone than Boston, Lucic would be much less effective. Compare like Penner in ANA vs EDM or Malone in Pitt vs Tampa and so forth.

Lucic would of course still be awesome to have, no doubt, and I am not saying its an easy choice between him and Letang for us. And that is when considering that we are in desperate need of someone who just can log time on the PP and shots from the right.

Old
07-23-2013, 04:22 PM
JohnC
Dubnyk=Lundqvist

Quote:
Eco- My take in it is just that since we spend a lot less time in the attacking zone than Boston, Lucic would be much less effective.
Can't this apply to Letang as well?

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:27 PM
M Gaz
Goalie Killer

vCash: 2946
Players like Lucic don't come around very often. Plus, he would fit in well with the identity I want this team to have: talented, but tough.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:05 PM
KreidertheGlider
MDZ for NYR Blueline

This should clearly be Letang imo. #1 dman or 2nd line forward?

It should be Letang even more so with the Rangers. He would shore up the right side of our defense and add offensive production. He would force other teams to commit to defending against our blue line.

Quote:
If he were to come here Letang would be expected to 'save' our pwp--be the point man who runs things and he's not the go to guy who runs the pwp in Pittsburgh--the onus for that is on Crosby/Malkin.
If Lucic came to NY wouldn't he be expected to be our 1st line LW? Sort of like Richards where he is expected to perform a miracle to our offense even if he isn't capable.

KreidertheGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:04 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Eco- My take in it is just that since we spend a lot less time in the attacking zone than Boston, Lucic would be much less effective. Compare like Penner in ANA vs EDM or Malone in Pitt vs Tampa and so forth.

Lucic would of course still be awesome to have, no doubt, and I am not saying its an easy choice between him and Letang for us. And that is when considering that we are in desperate need of someone who just can log time on the PP and shots from the right.
We just have different takes on this. The Rangers have a real need for someone to take charge of their pwp--and it would especially be helpful to have a reliable producer from the point position. It should be Del Zotto--but there are a lot of issues there too. Basically I think the Rangers need more than just one other contributor for the pwp because I think basically it's dysfunctional. It's about 1) puck retrieval on shoot-ins--it's about 2)puck possession--it's about 3)movement of the players and the puck--it's about 4) having someone always at the net giving the opposing D something to do--it's about 5) having guys that can make plays and 6) guys who can finish and to be honest we're not great at any one of those areas. Letang would help the pwp but he's not on his own going to make our pwp all that much better--IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreidertheGlider View Post
This should clearly be Letang imo. #1 dman or 2nd line forward?

It should be Letang even more so with the Rangers. He would shore up the right side of our defense and add offensive production. He would force other teams to commit to defending against our blue line.

If Lucic came to NY wouldn't he be expected to be our 1st line LW? Sort of like Richards where he is expected to perform a miracle to our offense even if he isn't capable.
Lucic is what he is. He's not a legit 1st liner. Beyond Nash though we don't have a legit 1st liner. Richards used to be one. Stepan might become one. Lucic is a force. Not always a consistent scorer and he can be frustrating but playoffs come around and it's like he turns into Claude Lemieux and players from opposing teams hate playing against him. He's more likely to hurt you a hit than a fight but he's still a real load to handle as a fighter. Going into corners and to the net is something he can do as well as anyone in the league. That creates havoc--that in itself is a very valuable trait to have in a player on your pwp. Personally either Letang or Lucic plays for the Rangers--they put up about 50 points a year on average.