HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto / Colorado

Old
07-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Quares27

vCash: 500
So the Leafs already have a hole to fill on D and then they're going to trade 2 of their best d-men for a center (when they're already set up the middle this season) and 2 prospects? dumb proposal.

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Crisp Breakout

This doesn't make sense for either team. It severely weakens the Leafs' defense, and the Avs should hang on to Siemens.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Avec Fromage*

Awful for the Leafs. Just nasty.

Avec Fromage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Drennan57*
New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Well taking on Bozak is not really a + valuewise for us. 4th line center making 4.25M is not really what you want on your team...

I am not Gardiners biggest fan. If we move ROR, we will see what is out there. Hopefully there are better offers out there than Gardiner + salary dump (doubt that we could swing Bozak to another team for anything more than a late round pick if at all)....
Ok it's your turn to make the deal you feel is fair.

Toronto: O'Reilly

Colorado: ???

Drennan57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:04 PM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Pretty good deal for Colorado. I'd probably pull the trigger on that. Phaneuf is a cancer, though.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Beastly Bozak
Kessel ** Kane

Leafs don't really need statsny. We need a bonafide 1C so that Kadri could play the 2C behind him. Rather go for Duchene and pass on Statsny, he's about as good as Bozak (factoring in intangibles and chemistry) and Kadri has much more potential/is better now. I'd rather have Bolland as our shutdown C too

Beastly Bozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:09 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverWatch View Post
Ok it's your turn to make the deal you feel is fair.

Toronto: O'Reilly

Colorado: ???
As already stated I am not a fan of those two teams being trading partners at all.

There are better trading partners for ROR out there.
Anaheim, Phoenix or maybe Nashville (although unlikely because of division and available pieces) look like better fits off the top of my head.
And there are probably many more that could use ROR and could give better value.
Basically teams who are stacked on D (or atleast have ridiculous top prospect depth there). Leafs are not there yet.
And I am not sold on Gardiner just yet. And who knows what kind of contract ROR will demand from another team?

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:17 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastly Bozak View Post
Change statsny to duchene and this is close
Never change Leaf fans! <33333

As for the OP's offer,

Phaneuf >> Statsny

Siemens + Sgarbossa >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Franson

The problem we have between our fanbase and Leafs fanbase is the difference of value. Majority of Leaf fans want Stastny for Gunnarson/Franson plus extra stuff like a 1st, Kulemin, or a 2nd. While we prefer to throw away the extra stuff and go for a straight up one on one trade. I think a deal around Phaneuf for Stastny+ is pretty fair, but then Leaf fans instinctively decline off the battle. Which makes senses considering Phaneuf creates a big hole on defenseman, though it also makes sense why we do not want to trade Stastny for something like Gunnarson and a 1st.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Drennan57*
New Era

Quote:
As already stated I am not a fan of those two teams being trading partners at all.

There are better trading partners for ROR out there.
Anaheim, Phoenix or maybe Nashville (although unlikely because of division and available pieces) look like better fits off the top of my head.
And there are probably many more that could use ROR and could give better value.
Basically teams who are stacked on D (or atleast have ridiculous top prospect depth there). Leafs are not there yet.
And I am not sold on Gardiner just yet. And who knows what kind of contract ROR will demand from another team?
Ok then it's settled.

Take it easy.

Drennan57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:59 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
I don't think the Avs would do the OP let alone add a potentially very high 1st...

And honestly, what is the point of this thread. We've been over this countless times.
I was thinking more of a late 1st, value-wise.

As you said though, this thread is probably going nowhere. Avalanche fans want a return for a 70-point, number 1B centre in exchange for Statsny. Leaf fans are rightly balking, given that Statsny has not hit those heights in three or four years and has seen a steady decline in production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Engine View Post
Someone should also mention that that 50 point forward is better defensively than the defenseman.
Paul Statsny must be an amazing.

First, we get a sell job on his offensive ability.

Now, we're being told how he could be a two-time Norris-nominated defenseman if only he played defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Phaneuf would be asked to do more in Colorado then he does in Toronto and would end up making more of his stupid mistakes. Also being the highest paid player there would be higher expectations compared to the other dmen on the team. So yes he would replace Hunwick as our whipping boy.
Phaneuf already is asked to do arguably too much in Toronto.

I think he would be less counted upon in Colorado, with Erik Johnson being on the team.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:04 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Really bad for Toronto. Really bad.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:24 AM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
I was thinking more of a late 1st, value-wise.

As you said though, this thread is probably going nowhere. Avalanche fans want a return for a 70-point, number 1B centre in exchange for Statsny. Leaf fans are rightly balking, given that Statsny has not hit those heights in three or four years and has seen a steady decline in production.

Paul Statsny must be an amazing.

First, we get a sell job on his offensive ability.

Now, we're being told how he could be a two-time Norris-nominated defenseman if only he played defense.

Phaneuf already is asked to do arguably too much in Toronto.

I think he would be less counted upon in Colorado, with Erik Johnson being on the team.
Who asked for that? Most seem to think phaneuf for stastny is close to fair. I don't know what you expect to get for an expiring contract other than another expiring contract unless you want picks and prospects.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:29 AM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Never change Leaf fans! <33333

As for the OP's offer,

Phaneuf >> Statsny

Siemens + Sgarbossa >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Franson

The problem we have between our fanbase and Leafs fanbase is the difference of value. Majority of Leaf fans want Stastny for Gunnarson/Franson plus extra stuff like a 1st, Kulemin, or a 2nd. While we prefer to throw away the extra stuff and go for a straight up one on one trade. I think a deal around Phaneuf for Stastny+ is pretty fair, but then Leaf fans instinctively decline off the battle. Which makes senses considering Phaneuf creates a big hole on defenseman, though it also makes sense why we do not want to trade Stastny for something like Gunnarson and a 1st.
Honestly, if we were offered Gunnarson plus a 1st, I'd take it. Gunnarson would be an upgrade over a lot of the defensman we have, and if at the deadline we moved Stastny, we wouldn't get much more than a 1st. Maybe a 1st+mid prospect.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Beastly Bozak
Kessel ** Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
Who asked for that? Most seem to think phaneuf for stastny is close to fair. I don't know what you expect to get for an expiring contract other than another expiring contract unless you want picks and prospects.
No serious leafs fan thinks statsny alone for phaneuf is fair...

Old
07-22-2013, 01:02 AM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastly Bozak View Post
No serious leafs fan thinks statsny alone for phaneuf is fair...
Meant most Avs fans.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:08 AM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

God damn these Leafs/Avs proposals are redundant. We get it, Stastny ****ing blows but yet he MUST be in every trade proposal.

Puckstop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:22 AM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop40 View Post
God damn these Leafs/Avs proposals are redundant. We get it, Stastny ****ing blows but yet he MUST be in every trade proposal.

I agree, I think it's a two way street but regardless of the finger pointing I've never seen a trade proposal thread between these two fan bases actually involve interesting discussion. It's always a pissing match that's nearly impossible to read.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:00 AM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Stastny's getting 6.6 a season!

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:12 AM
seancolorado

Here is a quote from someone over at Mile High Hockey that sums up Stastny perfectly:

Quote:
Bottom line on Stastny:

Avs management overrated his ability and gave him a contract he was never going to live up to. Because of that contract fans expect more out of him than he’ll ever be able to give. That creates a bias in another direction, in which fans underestimate what he actually does bring to the team.

Stastny is the rare beast of the NHL: underrated and overpaid.
This is undeniably true. Fans outside of Colorado fail to see what Stastny can bring to a team. One should only look at his systems pre-Avs-Sacco and his systems during TEAM USA to see just how effective he can be when he's not limited to a shutdown center role in the defensive zone.

seancolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:56 AM
officialmark7*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
Why not just pair it down to Phaneuf for Stastny?
Because the Leafs wouldn't trade a Top 2 D-Man for a buyout candidate.

officialmark7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 05:43 AM
Beastly Bozak
Kessel ** Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by officialmark7 View Post
Because the Leafs wouldn't trade a Top 2 D-Man for a buyout candidate.
This right here sums it up perfectly... Phaneuf is way too valuable to trade for an overpaid Statsny

Old
07-22-2013, 05:55 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Honestly, if we were offered Gunnarson plus a 1st, I'd take it. Gunnarson would be an upgrade over a lot of the defensman we have, and if at the deadline we moved Stastny, we wouldn't get much more than a 1st. Maybe a 1st+mid prospect.
This would be pretty close to fair at the deadline. I think there would be a lot of interest in Stastny throughout the league and they could possibly get a better main piece than Gunnarson and maybe a later pick instead, but the value is pretty close.

I think the best course of action in just to re-sign Stastny.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:20 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Well taking on Bozak is not really a + valuewise for us. 4th line center making 4.25M is not really what you want on your team...
A 4th line player who scores at a 40 point pace? Pretty damn good 4th line up there in Toronto.

So, by this offer, am I to infer that Toronto fans are not interested in moving Gardiner for Stastny, but would be open to move him for O'Reilly?

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:34 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
When was the last time a #1 Overall pick was moved before playing for their team? 3 years with their team?

Highly productive discussion based in a reality where pigs fly and unicorns fart rainbows.
you should know, he plays D on your team (2.5 seasons with the Blues). ...before that, and not on draft day, Lindros perhaps?

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:39 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
A 4th line player who scores at a 40 point pace? Pretty damn good 4th line up there in Toronto.

So, by this offer, am I to infer that Toronto fans are not interested in moving Gardiner for Stastny, but would be open to move him for O'Reilly?
people are silly Stastny > ROR ...as a Leafs fan i see this, but, Leafs cannot afford Stastny unless we unload Phaneuf, and we cannot afford to unload Phaneuf, unless a big 20+ min eating top line capable d-man comes back/

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote