HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Manny Malhotra

Old
07-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Buffalo Warlord

vCash: 500
Manny Malhotra

What would everyone think of bringing in Malhotra to fill 3rd line C ? Now we all know eye issue but this guy is hungry, great on draws, very good defensively, veteran presence and could do wonders in the progression of Foligno. Probably chip in a few as well.

Its a slight gamble but we have space so a 2 yr 3 million deal could get it done

Buffalo Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Djp

No desire whatsoever.

He isnt the same since his eye injury.

I live in Seattle so my area gets a bunch of their games through Comcast NW picking up the local affiliate feed of games and we get CBC.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:59 PM
LGBuffalo

Aside from ending the whole Miller and Vanek drama, (if possible) this is precisely the type of move I would like to see Darcy make this offseason. I would love to see Malhotra on this team, and I think all of the young players would really benefit because of the little things that he does well on the ice. It's one thing to have high-level talent, like a few of the Sabres' prospects have, but it's another to be able to put it to use at the NHL level. I think guys like Malhotra can show the young players how to play an NHL game.

LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Buffalo Warlord

How many games last year did we loose late because we failed to win a draw in our own end and we failed to step up defensesively after ?

We need a couple defensive competent players

Buffalo Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:34 PM
DJN21

I'm a huge Manny fan, have been my whole life growing up in a Rangers house hold, but I fear his career is over. He could help with draws and veteran leadership for sure but at this point we have so many tweener forwards and bottom 6ers that I dont see it being worth burying Larsson/Grigs behind him or Flynn potentially losing his roster spot etc.

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
A couple years ago he'd have been the exact kind of veteran addition I'd like for the short-term of the rebuild. He's just not that guy anymore. I wouldn't have a problem with having him in the fold but I no longer desire it.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:48 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
A couple years ago he'd have been the exact kind of veteran addition I'd like for the short-term of the rebuild. He's just not that guy anymore. I wouldn't have a problem with having him in the fold but I no longer desire it.
agreed

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:55 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Depends on how much of his retirement was AV's goonery and getting screwed by missing camps in running seasons.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 05:09 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

With Morrow still an FA? Rather go for Morrow thanks...

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:52 AM
Digable5

I'm surprised there aren't any "sign any blind player; it will help with the tank" posts.

What would we really have to lose? I might do a 1 year deal instead, but he's a good character guy that is likely hungry to save his career and show he can still play. Plus he has faceoff and defensive skills he can teach our young centermen. If he plays well, great signing. If he doesn't do well, we bench him, send him to the minors or keep playing him for a better draft position.

And I'd like Morrow too as veteran leadership for our young players, but how does signing Malhotra effect that. Is there a new limit on signings in the CBA? If you are concerned for roster spots, I can think of a few names we could move to make room.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 05:30 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Warlord View Post
How many games last year did we loose late because we failed to win a draw in our own end and we failed to step up defensesively after ?

We need a couple defensive competent players
how many?

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:43 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
how many?
There are a few games that pop to mind. I almost made a tenner of my friends betting whether the Sabres would let in a goal in a late game, defensive zone faceoff situations.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 01:00 PM
EndlessNameless9319

Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319
I would rather sign Dave Steckel than Malhotra.

EndlessNameless9319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 03:04 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardownsnipe19 View Post
I would rather sign Dave Steckel than Malhotra.
I just looked at the faceoff leaders on NHL.com and I didn't see either Steckel or Malhotra on the first three pages. Both regressed at the dot last season. As for who's still left out there, I wouldn't mind Jerred Smithson either.

As for Malhotra, I think he's only a fourth-line center now. I think he'd still bring a lot to this team (leadership, faceoff ability, and PKing) but he shouldn't be playing on the third line or higher. If he's centering our fourth line I would be fine with him. I think he's better than Porter but guarantee that Porter will be in the lineup. Rolston likes him a lot.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Husko

vCash: 165
3rd line, no, but I wouldn't mind him centering our 4th line. Hodgson-Ennis-Grigs-Manny down the middle would be a fun group.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

After looking into further I'm gonna pass on Manny. I'd rather gamble on Larsson being rdy out of camp with Porter as the backup plan. I would be planning on Hodgson/Grigs/Larsson(Porter)/Porter(Ellis). Of course if the organization already expects Larsson not to be rdy then Id be looking for a fourth liner with Porter centering the third line.

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:00 PM
ProstheticConscience
Supertank 15/16

Just to let you guys know, Malhotra's done. Great character guy and everything, but he's not even a shadow of the player he was before the injury. He can take faceoffs and that's it now. It's all he can do to get to the bench after the draw. If he was still a decent defensive centre, he'd still be in a Canucks uniform. It's sad, but there it is.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Just to let you guys know, Malhotra's done. Great character guy and everything, but he's not even a shadow of the player he was before the injury. He can take faceoffs and that's it now. It's all he can do to get to the bench after the draw. If he was still a decent defensive centre, he'd still be in a Canucks uniform. It's sad, but there it is.
I agree with this. I didn't catch as many Canucks games as I usually do last season but it was very apparent when I did watch. He wasn't very good the previous season, either. The guy's toast unless maybe he spends the offseason in Tibet projecting to the astral plane of the hockey gods.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Kickassguy

vCash: 1121
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
We loved Manny to death in Vancouver, but unfortunately, as has already been noted, he's not what he used to be. He could still be a serviceable 4th liner but with his eye, it's probably not worth the risk to either him or a team.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I fear for his health with that eye injury. It may be time for him to take that coaching position Vancouver offered him.