HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Rush For Rielly

Old
07-21-2013, 06:35 PM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
No Rush For Rielly

When Leaf training camps opens on September 11th (just 54 days away) nowhere more will eyes be focused than on young defenseman Morgan Rielly.

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/...ush-for-rielly

WeWantACup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:43 PM
pcruz

Please, please, please. Don't rush this kid to the NHL and destroy him. The NHL is not a develping league. The coaching staff have no time to teach, they have barely enough time to get the team to gel together and teach their preferred plays and all. I understand the frustration it must lead to in the front office. Seeing a player like this, with this much potential and not even being allowed to let him play in the AHL yet.

Sometimes though, you need to swallow the bitter pill in order for it to help you in the long run. This seems like one of those times. You sit the guy down and explain to him that unfortunately, even though he has nothing to learn at the junior level, he can't go to the minors yet to develop properly. So his options are to sit in the press box until such time as he's available to go to the AHL, sacrificing a roster spot and game time for the player, or send him back to junior.

And then, the choice is made and you take the lesser of 2 evils and send him to the junior team.

pcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Aplayaz2000

they sure rushed Sidney Crosby
or Evander Kane

man they're destroyed prospects now huh

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:51 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

I need to grab me one of those Black/Grey practice jerseys.

snizzbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:52 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

If he is as good or better than players currently on the team and plays that way, he should be in the NHL. Sending him down for no particular reason aside from his age is just stupid.. plain stupid

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Stephen

Seems like people are more afraid of being disappointed by a prospect than excited about the notion that a top 5 pick could actually thrive. Let Rielly determine his own fate in camp. That's the only reasonable course of action.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
or Evander Kane

You're really using Crosby as precident for playing Rielly as a teenage NHLer?

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pcruz

Quote:
or Evander Kane

That's baffling to me. You want to compare Morgan Rielly to Sidney Crosby?

Also, when last I looked, Evander Kane was a very good player, I don't see him tearing the league apart.

Also, you might be interested to note that neither Crosby nor Kane play a position with a learning curve that Rielly does.

Also, you might be interested to note that for every player who can hit the ground running at the NHL level, there are dozens of players who tried/were forced to try, and failed.

Luke Schenn was a player I really thought could be great. A fantastic stay-at-home defenseman the team needed and still does. Where does he fit in our top 4 next season?

pcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Rielly4

I think he should make the team, honestly hes one of the highest end talents in our organization, hes gonna be on the team eventually, let him mold with the team and start to grow chemistry and adjust to the NHL speed... Hes got the size, hes mature, he will be fine. Yeah, he will make some defensive mistakes, so will Gardiner. But they are going to learn as a team and work through it because they are two of the most talented guys in the organization. We need there speed on the backend, our identity is going to be amazing... A blueline with speed that has some big big shots on the backend. Two solid goalies, and a hard forechecking forward group with speed and skill...

I mean the kids 205 pounds of pure muscle... Hes ready physically and mentally, its just a matter of the spot on the team that he has to win.

Rielly4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Rielly4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Seems like people are more afraid of being disappointed by a prospect than excited about the notion that a top 5 pick could actually thrive. Let Rielly determine his own fate in camp. That's the only reasonable course of action.
well yes this is quite obvious, but im hoping he makes it so he can start to build chemistry with the team and get his rookie season out of the way, no one tears the league apart in their rookie season.. Only thing is our cap situation might be tight in a few years so not burning his ELC might be a plan on Nonises.

Rielly4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:59 PM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

He is not a Crosby, as for Kane he is a big forward (not a small D) who started his career in Atlanta which is much different than starting here in TO. For example the picture in this article was taken at last years training camp, where people were already going crazy for the kid. In Atlanta Kane would never be noticed.

Last edited by WeWantACup: 07-21-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: On my phone
WeWantACup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
You're really using Crosby as precident for playing Rielly as a teenage NHLer?
Since 2005, this is how long it's taken top five picks to get steady jobs in the NHL, playing at least 25 games.

Crosby: right away
B. Ryan: four years
J. Johnson: two years
B. Pouliot: three years
C. Price: three years

E. Johnson: one year
J. Staal: right away
J. Toews: one year
N. Backstrom: one year
P. Kessel: right away

P. Kane: right away
J. van Riemsdyk: two years
K. Turris: one year
T. Hickey: six years
K. Alzner: two years

S. Stamkos: right away
D. Doughty: right away
Z. Bogosian: right away
A. Pietrangelo: two years
L. Schenn: right away

J. Tavares: right away
V. Hedman: right away
M. Duchene: right away
E. Kane: right away
B. Schenn: two years

T. Hall: right away
T. Seguin: right away
E. Gudbranson: one year
R. Johansen: one year
N. Niederreiter: one year

R. Nugent-Hopkins: right away
G. Landeskog: right away
J. Huberdeau: one year
A. Larsson: right away
R. Strome: not yet

N. Yakupov: right away
R. Murray: not yet
A. Galchenyuk: right away
G. Reinhart: not yet
M. Rielly: not yet

Old
07-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantACup View Post
He is not a Crosby, as for Kane he is a big forward (not a small D) who started his career in Atlanta which is much different than starting here in TO. For example the picture in this article was taken at last years training camp, where people were already going crazy for the kid. In Atlanta Kane would never be noticed.
Rielly isn't a small defenseman either.

Old
07-21-2013, 07:10 PM
LostInAwe

I say let him play the 9 games at the start of the season, and see what you got.

LostInAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Maplelaughs97
The Kids Are Alright

Quote:
Rielly is hardly huge but id say 6.05 ft 205 is pretty solid/average..

Maplelaughs97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:33 PM
FlareKnight

I'll go with the reasonable option of seeing how he does at camp. You can't go into this deciding already what his fate is going to be. When a guy is ready play him. If he's not ready then let him get in one more year in junior, the WJC, AHL playoffs, etc. If he is then play him.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:33 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Since 2005, this is how long it's taken top five picks to get steady jobs in the NHL, playing at least 25 games.

His two examples of why not be patient with Rielly was Kane and Sidney Crosby. I was just pointing out the ridiculousness of using Crosby as a direct comparison. I would have been perfectly fine if he used Doughty/Bogosian/Hedman/Gudbranson/Larsson as an example.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:34 PM
JackJ

Quote:
or Evander Kane

Defence is a much more difficult position.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Maccer
Bring back Pat!!

It will be just as hard watching him play for that terrible Moose Jaw team next year as it would be watching him have a tough time with the Buds.

Maccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:45 PM
wulfio*

Does Carlyle strike you as the kind of guy that will play him to the detriment of the team? If he's good enough to do what he's supposed to be able to do he'll play. If not, he won't.

wulfio* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:24 PM
diceman934

Rielly will earn his roster spot.....the rushing a prospect excuse is just that and using Luke Schenn as a example is wrong....he played more than fine his first year....it was the advice to gain weight and coaching that caused him to loose confidence....

I doubt that Carlyle would ruin the confidence that Rielly has in fact I can honesty say that Carlyle maybe the perfect coach for him.

A prospect can only be rushed and ruin if they are not ready...If they are ready there is nothing to worry about.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:29 PM
showtime8

As much as I see a bright future for Morgan Rielly, I think its important for him to go back to the WHL.

Yes, he has tons of skill and can skate with the speed of any league that he enters, but there are too many other elements that aren't brought up. Has anyone brought up the size and trying to handle players like Lucic and others in the Eastern Conference? His defensive play should also be questioned. If you think that people can look beyond that, who is he going to be paired with that is currently on the Leafs that will help him?

Morgan Rielly is a great prospect and will be a very good pro, but the Leafs can't fall into the Kadri factor where you try and shove him in a role when there is no one around to support him and doesn't fit the mold of what you need. The Leafs have 3 offensive defencemen on the team in Liles, Gardiner and Franson.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:33 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Rielly, Get Bigger (Gym Rat so no biggie) and get Better Defensively, I just want him to work on those 2, regardless of whether he makes the leafs or not.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
As much as I see a bright future for Morgan Rielly, I think its important for him to go back to the WHL.

Yes, he has tons of skill and can skate with the speed of any league that he enters, but there are too many other elements that aren't brought up. Has anyone brought up the size and trying to handle players like Lucic and others in the Eastern Conference? His defensive play should also be questioned. If you think that people can look beyond that, who is he going to be paired with that is currently on the Leafs that will help him?

Morgan Rielly is a great prospect and will be a very good pro, but the Leafs can't fall into the Kadri factor where you try and shove him in a role when there is no one around to support him and doesn't fit the mold of what you need. The Leafs have 3 offensive defencemen on the team in Liles, Gardiner and Franson.
Liles is 5'10" 185 lbs (Source Hockeydb)
Gardiner 6'1" 173 lbs

Rielly is 6' .5" 205 lbs

You are concerned with Rielly and players like Lucic, while our back line is patrolled by guys like Liles and Gardiner who are smaller??? How are they surviving?

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Not that I am saying he Rielly should play in the league right now, but at 6'0.5, 205 lbs, he is not a small defensman.

Infact he is bigger and more solidly built than the majority of puck moving Dmen in the NHL.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote