HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Role of core muscles in backhand shots

Old
07-22-2013, 08:47 AM
American in Paris

vCash: 500
Role of core muscles in backhand shots

Some will probably dismiss this post as obvious, but I had a bit of an epiphany practicing backhanders in the garage over the weekend.

I'd always thought the power in wrist shots, especially off the backhand, develops mostly in the arms. But experimenting with my technique, I consciously attempted to tighten the core muscles in my back and abdominal areas as I swept though the shot and noticed a substantial increase in puck velocity. With a bit of trial and error the timing of the core activation improved further enhancing puck speed.

I shot a couple hundred pucks this way over the weekend and the results were very consistent. I had a decent backhander before - top-shelf at will, etc. - but now it looks more like a slapper. I'm eager to see if the technique will work as well on the ice.

Suddenly it seems so obvious I surprised I didn't think of it sooner.

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:22 AM
LarryO

Use your legs too. We often talk about weight transfer from the back leg to the front leg when doing slap shots and wrist shots. The same concept applies to backhand shots but in the reverse direction obviously.

Last edited by LarryO: 07-22-2013 at 10:36 AM.
LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:55 AM
sanityplease

Every action requiring power in ice hockey is generated from the core (or should be).

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you have the time and space, getting power from the core is great. Just make sure to also practice those little "reach and flick" shots for loose pucks around the crease.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote