HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cgy/Phi

Old
07-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Tripod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
You can infer from them that both are offensively talented but I was saying that comparing them is a poor choice. I think Couts is underused in Philly and may never be able to reach his real potential if he gets stuck as 3rd line center for a long period of time (Looks like it could be a while with Giroux and Vinny both a head of him).
As a Flyers fan, I 100% agree with this. With Vinny now added, Couts will be the 3rd line C for approx 3 more years. HOPEFULLY, he does not level off. Philly has the forward depth to run with 3 lines that can score, so maybe that won't happen:

Hartnell G Voracek
Schenn Vinny Simmonds
Gagne Couts Read

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:43 AM
HighOFFHockey

Once again. Flyers did not move Couturier for Weber. No way it's happening for the package you listed. Even if its a good package. It's not gonna happen. After this season most teams will understand why and then we can end these impossible trade options.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Curufinwe

Any trade would have to include Meszaros to fit under the salary cap.

http://www.capgeek.com/trade-machine/

But even then the Flyers don't have anyone who can step right in and take Couturier's spot as the 3C so it makes no sense to trade him except for a huge overpayment.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:51 AM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
No thanks from Flames fan. Value is close but i think Sven has 1st line upside, Couts will top out as a 2nd line 2-way center.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:02 AM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

The Flyers management would never consider doing this deal. They wouldn't part with Couturier for a trade involving Weber.

ted1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:10 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Lets not do this and say we did.

Too risky for both teams.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:18 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1971 View Post
The Flyers management would never consider doing this deal. They wouldn't part with Couturier for a trade involving Weber.
They would've traded Couturier for Weber. It was the fact that Nashville wanted much more in addition that made it not happen. At least I hope...

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:33 AM
madmike77

Now that the Flames have Monahan I don't see any reason to trade for Couturier.

I'd be fine with Monahan and Backlund centering the top 2 lines with Jankowski potentially coming along later. The Flames aren't as desperate for young centres as they once were.

EDIT: They also have Knight, Horak and Reinhart. I wouldn't really pencil any in as top-6 but I think they'd certainly be fine in a bottom-6 role.

Calgary could still use a star 1C, but I don't really see Couturier being that guy.

Last edited by madmike77: 07-22-2013 at 11:05 AM.
madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Alex Mills

This proposal doesn’t seem all that realistic based on the numbers or the players involved.

The Flyers are over the cap by more than $2 million, have no need for either player being offered as they’re loaded with expensive veteran defensemen and lefthanded shooters, and actually need to clear roster space to get back under the cap before the season starts. They would take on another $4 million by replacing Couturier with Giordano and Baertschi, which would push them past the offseason cap maximum of $70.7 million, and would still be well over the cap even after Pronger is placed on long-term injured reserve.

It’s been long rumored the Flyers would possibly consider trading Couturier or Schenn for a young top four defenseman, but it hasn’t happened so far and Giordano doesn’t exactly fit the description. Couturier was recently mentioned as one of their top three centers heading into next season and was just re-signed to a cap friendly extension. While the Flyers are deep at center, Schenn appears to be moving to the wing and Laughton, Flanagan, Cousins and Noebels aren’t quite ready to make the jump.

Akeson was their top AHL goal scorer and point producer last year on a team with the third worst record in the league and the fifth fewest goals scored. He has an outside shot to make the Flyers who remain thin on the right side, but the rebuilding Phantoms need all the help they can get.

In terms of draft picks, it makes no sense for the Flyers to essentially trade down and give up two first round picks – Couturier and their first next year – for this kind of return.

As for the Flames, Giordano is one of the best defensemen on a rather thin blue line and is not being replaced or upgraded with anyone here. He also has a no movement clause that would need to be waived. It would seem a little extreme for them to bail on Baertschi, their first round pick two years ago, after just 25 games. With most of their major trade options played out and almost $10 million in available cap space, there are still plenty of quality free agents available to stabilize their depth up the middle and on the back line.

Alex Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
To CGY

Andrej Meszaros

To PHI

2014 3rd conditional on Meszaros playing 70+ games
This trade makes a lot more sense.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
This trade makes a lot more sense.
I agree. I'd do it from a Flames point of view.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:24 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
lol Couturier continues to be criminally underrated on this website, it's honestly getting to the point where it's funny how ignorant you all are. This isn't a bad deal though, Sven is going to be a good one.
Is this just an automatic response to all threads involving Couturier. You have to say how "under-rated" he is. We're talking about a return of a top 10 prospects plus a 3rd rounder. How is that underating Couturier?

As a Flames fan, I say no. Couturier does not seem to be an upgrade on Monahan, and Backlund is progressing nicely. Not worth the risk of trading Baertschi.

The Flames should not be trading players like Baertschi for anything. They should be looking to add players like Couturier but only in situations where it is a clear upgrade or they are trading older assets.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Is this just an automatic response to all threads involving Couturier. You have to say how "under-rated" he is. We're talking about a return of a top 10 prospects plus a 3rd rounder. How is that underating Couturier?

As a Flames fan, I say no. Couturier does not seem to be an upgrade on Monahan, and Backlund is progressing nicely. Not worth the risk of trading Baertschi.

The Flames should not be trading players like Baertschi for anything. They should be looking to add players like Couturier but only in situations where it is a clear upgrade or they are trading older assets.
As a Flyers fan, I agree with you. The OP doesn't make sense for either team to do.

Calgary should keep doing what they have been doing...trading age for youth.
Philly should only trade an asset like Couts in a package for a true #1 D.

Note: I see Weber is not eligable to be traded

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Mota

People don't realize how crucial a piece Couturier is to this Flyers team. Many people acknowledge the Flyers weakness at team defense, so why would they want to trade one of their best defensive players? He has already shown he can handle a shut down role against some of the top stars in the league, and he is still just a kid...he is only going to get better at both ends of the ice. Look at all the star players in the Flyers division...having a guy like Couturier is invaluable. Guys like him win you championships. There is absolutely no reason for the Flyers to even consider moving him.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
People don't realize how crucial a piece Couturier is to this Flyers team. Many people acknowledge the Flyers weakness at team defense, so why would they want to trade one of their best defensive players? He has already shown he can handle a shut down role against some of the top stars in the league, and he is still just a kid...he is only going to get better at both ends of the ice. Look at all the star players in the Flyers division...having a guy like Couturier is invaluable. Guys like him win you championships. There is absolutely no reason for the Flyers to even consider moving him.
This! If you want to ask for a center from the Flyers, ask for Schenn or Laughton. Couturier just fills a need that is not replaceable from within the organization.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:26 PM
AuraSphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman View Post
Coutourier is worth more than that, common
no he's not lol....

AuraSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:32 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Seems like a trade neither side should really be interested in. Calgary shouldn't have need for Couturier with Monahan now. And the Flyers shouldn't be interested in giving up their best defensive forward.

And as an aside, I think it's telling how people view Baertschi as a potential offensive dynamo, but give no respect to Couturier's offensive ability.

Couturier has outscored him in juniors and in the AHL. And yet Baertschi is considered a superior offensive talent because he has 13 points in 25 games playing in a scoring role compared to Couturier's shutdown role on the Flyers. Not saying Couturier will be better offensively, I just think it's interesting when you catch HFboards in a logical error.
This 100%. Sorry but in every aspect of the game Coots is >= Baertschi, offensively, defensively, and actual NHL play. When Sean has been bumped up onto the top or 2nd line because of injuries he has carried that line very well (near a PPG in that time). Right now he's just "pigeon-holed" in Philly as a defensive center. Put him as the #2 center on any other team in the NHL and he's at least a 50-60 pnt player and one of the better #2 centers in the league.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:37 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by First round bust View Post
Get real man sven has more talent by far
No he doesn't. At best you can say they are about equal. Coots is definitely the better all-around player but Sven "might" end up the better offensive player.

I do want to state that I think the deal is probably about even value-wise but it's unlikely that either side does it as for the reasons many have stated before me.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote