HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Stastny to Edmonton

Old
07-21-2013, 09:21 PM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

vCash: 500
Better change that N to a J, actually on second thought no one on the Oilers really is appealing....meh

The Pwnerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Sniper99
#1 Center

Looks like a Lakai trade proposal here. Roy and the gang would be out of their minds to accept this offer.

Sniper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:22 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Tomorrow is Gagners arbitration hearing and if he is awarded to much and hypothetically the Oilers trade him for a defenceman or winger. What would the cost be to get Stasny from Colorado. I know Colorado needs Dmen and Stasny is overpaid.

To Edmonton
Stasny

To Colorado
N.Schultz

Edmonton gets a stop gap #2C that's a UFA in a year and Colorado gets a 2nd pairing Dman that's a UFA in a year.

Colorado gets shafted

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:25 PM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Well agree to disagree. I rate him (at best) very close to our own Hejda.
Not a terrible comparison (though they do play differently) - both are solid 2nd pairing guys, though Schultz is 5 years younger. Hejda is going to start regressing due to age, and I suspect within a year or two, you're going to not be happy with the comparison.

Quote:
Rather try Wilson.
Schultz is certainly superior to Wilson defensively.

Quote:
So we trade Stastny for a third pairing shutdown D (or for Hejda to get bumped down to the third pairing?)
Well, Schultz is a 2nd pairing shutdown D not 3rd pairing, but even so, what's so bad about that? Especially if that trade gets the Avs a decent pick also?

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:26 PM
DesertDawg

...so the Oilers will accept the arbitration just to trade Gagner?...and a team is willing to trade for that arbitration award?...and if they walk away from the arbitration decision, are the Oilers willing to overpay to fill that void?

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:26 PM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
So we're not allowed to re-sign Stastny instead of moving him for spare parts? Smid improves our team, Schultz does not.
Either of those guys improves the team.

Old
07-21-2013, 09:29 PM
SchultzSquared*

Quote:
Gagner gets traded preferably for a defenceman that's capable of playing on the top pairing.
HAHAHAHA

Gagner 24 hours away from a 1 year contract and UFA is NOT worth that.... ABYSMAL.

Quote:
If he fits in and signs a cheaper contract then great, if not then the cost would be Nick Schultz.
Yes a HUGE loss for the Oilers

Quote:
It seems a + should be added to this deal. What should the + be?
Everyone was pretty clear already... J. Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Well, Schultz is a 2nd pairing shutdown D not 3rd pairing
HAHAHAHA #2... N. Schultz on one of the worst defenses in the NHL was NOT a second pairing player even on his best night last season... or the one before that... try again

Seriously guys... this is terrible... deserves an apology to Avs fans...

SchultzSquared* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:29 PM
tucker3434
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
For one meaningless year?
We still need to see how moving one to wing will work out. If it works, fantastic. Sign em both to extensions. If it doesn't, well need to trade one, but we shouldn't trade either until we have an idea what kind of contract they'll demand. If stastny wants $5m and oreilly thinks he's worth duchene+ kind of money, oreilly will be the one gone.

In other words, no need to trade ever now, especially not for nick Schultz.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:33 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Not a terrible comparison (though they do play differently) - both are solid 2nd pairing guys, though Schultz is 5 years younger. Hejda is going to start regressing due to age, and I suspect within a year or two, you're going to not be happy with the comparison.

Schultz is certainly superior to Wilson defensively.

Well, Schultz is a 2nd pairing shutdown D not 3rd pairing, but even so, what's so bad about that? Especially if that trade gets the Avs a decent pick also?
Cause we are dumping our best trade asset a 27 year former old #1 center who is a great all around player for a marginal upgrade without giving him the chance to rebound under another coach.

Odds are that Stastny won't get back to what he was.
Still a very putrid trade. Schultz will not be better than Hejda next year. We have a crapload of young Ds on the way.
Why trade for Schultz?
Just to increase our win total by 1 or 2 because of a better 3rd pairing? And in turn lose 2 or 3 wins cause of lost forward depth?
I simply don't get that approach. We are not contending and we certainly should not expect a playoff team next year anyways.
So why bother with Schultz?

And I was pretty optimistic with my evaluation of him (as can be seen by other responses in here)

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:33 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
So we're not allowed to re-sign Stastny instead of moving him for spare parts? Smid improves our team, Schultz does not.
I agree that N. Schultz for Statsny might be a bit premature as I think that's a starting point for a TDL trade, but there's a reality that you're gonna have to face:

1) Statsny may not want to re-sign with a rebuilding team.
2) Your trade leverage decreases as time goes by (Just like Luongo, you'll get highest value now as opposed to a rental trade later)
3) Statsny's point production has been dismal to say the least for his cap hit.

So you have an upcoming UFA who has a $6.5M cap hit that scored 24*/53/57 points in the last 3 seasons in a market where teams are scrambling to rid themselves of those contracts.

If I was a GM, I would treat Statsny as a hot potato and jettison him to any poor schmuck who would take him. I would actually think getting a roster player like N. Schultz would be a huge success. He's Colorado's Hemsky.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Either of those guys improves the team.
I'm not sure you've seen Nick Schultz play lately. That or you've gone off the deep end with your attempt to be as unbiased as possible.

Quote:
I agree that N. Schultz for Statsny might be a bit premature as I think that's a starting point for a TDL trade, but there's a reality that you're gonna have to face:

2) Your trade leverage decreases as time goes by (Just like Luongo, you'll get highest value now as opposed to a rental trade later)

So you have an upcoming UFA who has a $6.5M cap hit that scored 24*/53/57 points in the last 3 seasons in a market where teams are scrambling to rid themselves of those contracts.

If I was a GM, I would treat Statsny as a hot potato and jettison him to any poor schmuck who would take him. I would actually think getting a roster player like N. Schultz would be a huge success. He's Colorado's Hemsky.
I don't understand why fans of other teams are so obsessed with helping rid Colorado of Stastny. You should be happy we want to keep him and even re-sign him at a salary of 5.5-6mil if you consider him so terrible. It's as if other team's fans think they know better than the fans that watch him every single game.

Quote:
I'm not an expert on Colorados D situation but Nick Schultz would be the second best Dman on the team. Not as good as EJ but better then Hejda. Is Stastny better then Duchene, ROR or Mackinnon? 6.5 mil is a lot to pay for the 4th best center on your depth chart. Maybe some think N Shultz is an under pay but how many teams have the cap space to take on Stastnys contract? The only way Stastny is getting a first at the deadline is if he returns to the player he was at the start of his career. If he's playing on the 3rd line he's going to have another low scoring year. On Edmonton he'd be the 2nd best C on the team and would get prime minutes with elite wingers.
Guys, seriously... just stop. Stick with the "not an expert" line.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:35 PM
SchultzSquared*

Quote:

Just...

If Stastny has negative value... Gagner would need to be moved with a 1st to get anything of worth...

Old
07-21-2013, 09:36 PM
McShogun99

I'm not an expert on Colorados D situation but Nick Schultz would be the second best Dman on the team. Not as good as EJ but better then Hejda. Is Stastny better then Duchene, ROR or Mackinnon? 6.5 mil is a lot to pay for the 4th best center on your depth chart. Maybe some think N Shultz is an under pay but how many teams have the cap space to take on Stastnys contract? The only way Stastny is getting a first at the deadline is if he returns to the player he was at the start of his career. If he's playing on the 3rd line he's going to have another low scoring year. On Edmonton he'd be the 2nd best C on the team and would get prime minutes with elite wingers.

McShogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:36 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:

Take a look at the price of rentals each year.
Stastny certainly would be in the 1st+prospect bracket.

So yeah... We should clearly just take N.Schultz and shut it...

Old
07-21-2013, 09:37 PM
SchultzSquared*

Quote:
I'm not an expert on Colorados D situation
Probably should have stopped there...

Old
07-21-2013, 09:38 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Just...

If Stastny has negative value... Gagner would need to be moved with a 1st to get anything of worth...
He's not in Luongo territory just yet. But name me one team who would have no problem using $6.6M of their cap this year on a player who might score 40-50 points and tell me what they would give up.

Old
07-21-2013, 09:39 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Take a look at the price of rentals each year.
Stastny certainly would be in the 1st+prospect bracket.

So yeah... We should clearly just take N.Schultz and shut it...
Jarome Iginla, perennial 40 goal scorer got a 1st and a prospect.

Statsny couldn't hold Jarome's jock strap and you think he'll get a 1st and a prospect?

Old
07-21-2013, 09:39 PM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
I'm not sure you've seen Nick Schultz play lately. That or you've gone off the deep end with your attempt to be as unbiased as possible.
Not sure what that last part means.

But I watched a fair number of Edmonton games last season, and if there's a team whose forwards played worse defense than Colorado's, this is the team. I admit I may be basing my Schultz value as much on his Minnesota play as his Edmonton play, but this isn't a sh***y hockey player.

And again, I'm not advocating the trade as proposed - I feel Stastny is worth more in a swap than just Schultz. i'm just saying it's worth discussion.

Old
07-21-2013, 09:40 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
He's not in Luongo territory just yet. But name me one team who would have no problem using $6.6M of their cap this year on a player who might score 40-50 points and tell me what they would give up.
You are not familiar with the concept of rentals traded at the deadline, are you???

Old
07-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Colorado. Nothing, because we already have him on our team!

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:44 PM
SchultzSquared*

Quote:
He's not in Luongo territory just yet.
And never will be SINCE HE IS A UFA AT YEAR'S END... like... just because they both make $5M plus and played in the NW does not make them the same in any way shape or form... if you cannot understand why a productive player off the books in one year and a goalie with a life time contract do not have equivalent value... I would say get off of NHL 13...

Quote:
But name me one team who would have no problem using $6.6M of their cap this year on a player who might score 40-50 points and tell me what they would give up.
WPG OTT NYI FLA BUF NJ CGY TOR and STL could all do it if they were in the hunt for a spot by deadline time... so... if by no value to anyone you mean value to a third of the NHL......

Old
07-21-2013, 09:46 PM
SchultzSquared*

Quote:
I admit I may be basing my Schultz value as much on his Minnesota play as his Edmonton play, but this isn't a sh***y hockey player.
-13 -12 -4 -8 -4... yes yes he is...

Old
07-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Drij

The answer to fixing the avs defense is not from the oilers.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:49 PM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
-13 -12 -4 -8 -4... yes yes he is...
+/-? Seriously?

Old
07-21-2013, 09:50 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
And never will be SINCE HE IS A UFA AT YEAR'S END... like... just because they both make $5M plus and played in the NW does not make them the same in any way shape or form... if you cannot understand why a productive player off the books in one year and a goalie with a life time contract do not have equivalent value... I would say get off of NHL 13...

WPG OTT NYI FLA BUF NJ CGY TOR and STL could all do it if they were in the hunt for a spot by deadline time... so... if by no value to anyone you mean value to a third of the NHL......
Not buying it. Half those teams won't even be in playoff contention and those that are won't see any value in a mediocre center signed to a ludicrous contract.

And the point about Luongo was that Gillis had a deadline to trade him and waited way too long which saw his value fall as the year wore on. Same crap with Statsny, who definitely will NOT be in the middle of a bidding war.