HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Olympics & The Pens (Brought to You By the Pontiac Beaunerville)

Old
07-23-2013, 08:00 AM
stefanh

vCash: 500
So the US assistant coaches. Granato, Todd Richards and Laviolette... LOL

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Todd Richards, Laviolette and Tony Granato are Disco's assistants.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:02 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Wow. Absolutely worst case scenario.

Tasty Biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Wow. Absolutely worst case scenario.
he's literally going to teach Philly and Columbus' head coaches our game, how to stop our game and then never change our game.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I can see Babcock using J. Staal at center. Toews-Staal-Bergeron would be damn near impossible to score on.
Staal would be lucky to make the team let alone be centering one of those 2. Crosby Toews Bergeron will all be playing center IMO. i think Getzlaf is the other

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
he's literally going to teach Philly and Columbus' head coaches our game, how to stop our game and then never change our game.

Maybe Lavy can teach Bylsma when to use the timeout to turn the tide of the game.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 09:35 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Yay for American coaching dysfunctionality

PensBandwagonerNo272 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post

Maybe Lavy can teach Bylsma when to use the timeout to turn the tide of the game.
Getting 3 goals scored on you in the first period and calling a time out is good coaching? sounds like common sense to me

Old
07-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Letang is going to have to have a good first half of the season, apparently, because everyone now thinks he's An_y _elmore in his own end thanks to these playoffs. How he's not a lock for that team is just...stupid.
It's selection bias. People believe that Letang is a one-way offensive defenseman, so when they see him make a couple of major gaffes during the playoffs that led to goals against, they point to that as proof that "he can't play in his own end" (nevermind that at least one of those gaffes happened in the offensive zone...). They then ignore all the times Letang used his speed to catch up to an opposing player on a breakaway and negate their scoring chance. It's not even conscious - it's just human nature.

Actually, what I find funny is when I see the people who otherwise like to point to "advanced stats" for pretty much anyone else suddenly ignore them when it comes to Letang. Probably because those same advanced stats show that Letang is a huge driver of puck possession despite playing against tough competition, and not being particularly sheltered in his zone starts.

If one can get past selection bias issues, he also passes the "watch him play" test - it's just that a lot of what he does right defensively doesn't make it on to YouTube videos, while his gaffes do.

Freeptop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeptop View Post
It's selection bias. People believe that Letang is a one-way offensive defenseman, so when they see him make a couple of major gaffes during the playoffs that led to goals against, they point to that as proof that "he can't play in his own end" (nevermind that at least one of those gaffes happened in the offensive zone...). They then ignore all the times Letang used his speed to catch up to an opposing player on a breakaway and negate their scoring chance. It's not even conscious - it's just human nature.

Actually, what I find funny is when I see the people who otherwise like to point to "advanced stats" for pretty much anyone else suddenly ignore them when it comes to Letang. Probably because those same advanced stats show that Letang is a huge driver of puck possession despite playing against tough competition, and not being particularly sheltered in his zone starts.

If one can get past selection bias issues, he also passes the "watch him play" test - it's just that a lot of what he does right defensively doesn't make it on to YouTube videos, while his gaffes do.

Well its a good thing real hockey evaluaters and not bloggers will be picking the team. Letang is a lock, especially on International sized ice

Last edited by Anderson55: 07-23-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old
07-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
ha i had no idea that there were deeper layers to the Laviolette/Granato story:

Quote:
Laviolette was a groomsman in the wedding of Penguins assistant coach Tony Granato.

"There's a picture in Tony's house of Peter at Tony's wedding," Bylsma said. "When we had a staff dinner at Tony's house, I found that picture and turned it around."

Laviolette said he and Granato "go way back." Pressed further on his relationship with Granato, Laviolette replied, "You want to write a sentimental story today? I'm going to pass on the sentiment and focus on how we can take care of the Penguins tonight.

"Tony and I are good friends, but time passes on, you lose touch a little bit with friends. But Tony's a great guy. ... Enough of this sentimental crap."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=14365

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson55 View Post
Getting 3 goals scored on you in the first period and calling a time out is good coaching? sounds like common sense to me
It was a joke but Bylsma rarely calls a timeout in that situation. He usually just waits for the team to "get to their game".

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
It was a joke but Bylsma rarely calls a timeout in that situation. He usually just waits for the team to "get to their game".
Im aware its a joke, but just yet another example of finding a way to criticize DB and praise another coach, simply out of hate for DB

Old
07-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

Bennett is probably pretty unlikely to make the cut, but just getting invited and getting to practice with some of the best players in the NHL and getting some new perspectives from different coaches is probably pretty valuable for him and other young guys.

Might be able to play in WCs next year if Pens exit early in the playoffs

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Serious Man View Post
Thrilled that Bennett got an invite. I'm really pulling for him to make the cut.
Yah I saw that yesterday afternoon; am real happy for the kid. Didn't expect that at all / wasn't considering it a possibility given his few games of professional experience. But OTOH,

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:17 PM
mpp9

Watch him make the cut but not crack our top 6 all season.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Honestly, I see no reason why he couldn't make the team. Our skill isn't so deep that he's a lock to miss the cut. He wouldn't get a sniff on Team Canada but here he's got a legitimate shot. I see Saad is in there too. I'd give them about an equal chance.

Didn't realize Galchenyuk was American. Team for 2018 could be looking pretty good if these three kids really develop into the players everyone thinks they will.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:33 PM
mpp9

Hopefully Dan plays him enough the first half of the year to up his stock a little as well as his confidence. If he improves his skating and strength this offseason, no reason why he can't compete with the other younger options in camp.

I really like how USA is inviting some young guys. We don't have the top end talent that Canada has, so filling out the lineup with younger guys who are going to be hungry and want to prove something isn't a bad way to go about things.

Palmieri, Saad and Bennett specifically.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:51 PM
sf expat71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
Bennett is probably pretty unlikely to make the cut, but just getting invited and getting to practice with some of the best players in the NHL and getting some new perspectives from different coaches is probably pretty valuable for him and other young guys.

Might be able to play in WCs next year if Pens exit early in the playoffs
So will they take the ice? I read that Canada will not have on-ice workouts because the insurance is too costly (how one makes any assessments on players without putting them on the ice, I have no idea).

sf expat71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:51 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson55 View Post
Im aware its a joke, but just yet another example of finding a way to criticize DB and praise another coach, simply out of hate for DB
poor, tortured Dan Bylsma.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:42 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Honestly, I see no reason why he couldn't make the team. Our skill isn't so deep that he's a lock to miss the cut. He wouldn't get a sniff on Team Canada but here he's got a legitimate shot. I see Saad is in there too. I'd give them about an equal chance.

Didn't realize Galchenyuk was American. Team for 2018 could be looking pretty good if these three kids really develop into the players everyone thinks they will.
I'm happy he got invited but he won't sniff the team. 4 years from now, maybe. Not counting centers, these will be the 8 wingers going to Sochi.

-Parise
-Kane
-Kessel
-Ryan
-Brown
-Pacioretty
-JVR
-Callahan

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
I'm happy he got invited but he won't sniff the team. 4 years from now, maybe. Not counting centers, these will be the 8 wingers going to Sochi.

-Parise
-Kane
-Kessel
-Ryan
-Brown
-Pacioretty
-JVR
-Callahan
Yeah, that's a tough nut for a rookie to crack.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

In 2018 too, as well. Most of those players will still be more than serviceable. USA's weakness is down the middle, not on the side.

Old
07-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
In 2018 too, as well. Most of those players will still be more than serviceable. USA's weakness is down the middle, not on the side.
Could be, but 4 years is a long time. Team Canada's going to have some turnover from 2010 even though a lot of those guys are still fairly young.

Always a group of young turks coming up.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Oh for sure. I'm just getting the impression that some expectations around here are that 2018 will be "his time" so to speak, whereas there will be stiff competition still, as always.