HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Olympics & The Pens (Brought to You By the Pontiac Beaunerville)

Old
07-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Oh for sure. I'm just getting the impression that some expectations around here are that 2018 will be "his time" so to speak, whereas there will be stiff competition still, as always.
Beau's just gonna strut into the US GM's office in 2018, give him the wink and the gun then pull out his phone to make an irreverent tweet, and the roster spot will be his.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Beau's just gonna strut into the US GM's office in 2018, give him the wink and the gun then pull out his phone to make an irreverent tweet, and the roster spot will be his.
just thinking about it is Beauner inducing

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
just thinking about it is Beauner inducing
Well, I mean, how could you say no to this face?

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Who'd have thought that laid-back Cali attitude could breed such a hockey player.

Nay, such a man.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Who'd have thought that laid-back Cali attitude could breed such a hockey player.

Nay, such a man.

in this instance, you are not a ****ing beauty. i knew that the 'laid-back Cali attitude' could ONLY breed such a hockey player.

imagine how much better a hockey player Orpik could have been if he wasn't cruelly ripped from the soothing bosom of his birth-place.

Last edited by Crafton: 07-23-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post

in this instance, you are not a ****ing beauty. i knew that the 'laid-back Cali attitude' could ONLY breed such a hockey player.

imagine how much better a hockey player Orpik could have been if he wasn't cruelly ripped from the soothing bosom of his birth-place.
Sorry bro, didn't mean to wheeze on your grindage.

Old
07-24-2013, 09:20 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
I'm happy he got invited but he won't sniff the team. 4 years from now, maybe. Not counting centers, these will be the 8 wingers going to Sochi.

-Parise
-Kane
-Kessel
-Ryan
-Brown
-Pacioretty
-JVR
-Callahan
Probably but IMO, offensively he could give Brown, Patch, JVR and Callahan a run for their money. Those guys aren't in the "can't miss" category in terms of producing offense or points, and Beauner is a pretty smart player with some real ability to play a strong two-way game. If he continues to build strength and his game continues to evolve this fall, he could conceivably beat them out. Granted he'll be looking at the bottom 6 and toughness is more in play there, so Brown and Callahan especially are easy arguments to make in that dept... but I like the idea of having hungry young players out there. Disco might make JVR sit as punishment for running Geno last season.

He probably WON'T make it (even if he plays well enough to) because Bylsma won't want to be accused of playing favorites, but I think it's closer than people let on AFA as the bottom 3 or 4 guys. Parise, Kane, Kessel, Ryan... obviously he's nowhere close to those guys. Also there's the possibility of injury to one of the other players, so you never know.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 07-24-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Shady Machine

Bennett is nowhere close to the Browns's and Callahan's of the world either. They are captains of their teams and have proven a lot. I think Bennett may have a shot as an extra forward, but he isn't replacing any of the 8 on that list.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Bennett is nowhere close to the Browns's and Callahan's of the world either. They are captains of their teams and have proven a lot. I think Bennett may have a shot as an extra forward, but he isn't replacing any of the 8 on that list.
Why do you consider JVR and Patch to be so far above Beauner in terms of getting a shot, assuming Bennett has a strong start to the season and outperforms them in Olympic camp? I don't think either of those guys have proven so much as to make it a no-brainer. Brown and Callahan I can see why someone would say "no chance" (which I noted earlier -- they're going to be tough to argue against as the leaders of a tough Bottom 6).

Old
07-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Why do you consider JVR and Patch to be so far above Beauner in terms of getting a shot, assuming Bennett has a strong start to the season and outperforms them in camp? I don't think either of those guys have proven so much as to make it a no-brainer. Brown and Callahan I can see why someone would say "no chance" (which I noted earlier -- they're going to be tough to argue against as the leaders of a tough Bottom 6).
the outperforming part is where it will be tricky. He has a ways to go to prove he's that good. If he outperforms them, sure he has a chance. I expect Bennett to be very good. But I would be absolutely shocked if he's JVR or Patches good in the next 6 months.

Old
07-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I may have to start an HFB propaganda campaign to lift our belief in Beau Bennett: American Folk Hero.

He needs to make that team, for the good of our republic... so that we might believe in ourselves once more.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Why do you consider JVR and Patch to be so far above Beauner in terms of getting a shot, assuming Bennett has a strong start to the season and outperforms them in Olympic camp? I don't think either of those guys have proven so much as to make it a no-brainer. Brown and Callahan I can see why someone would say "no chance" (which I noted earlier -- they're going to be tough to argue against as the leaders of a tough Bottom 6).
Patch scored 48 goals and 104 points over the past 2 seasons. That's 0.84 PPG and was nearly a PPG player last year. He's 24 and is 6'2 220 pounds. He's big, can skate, and is a much more proven player than Bennett. How you can look at those stats, his size, age, and pedigree and NOT think he's a no brainer over Bennett is a little crazy IMO.

Van Riemsdyk is the only one of the 4 who one could argue Bennett has a chance against and it's still pretty slim.

Look we all love Bennett and his upside but let's not get carried away here. If he is going to make the Olympic roster, it's going to be beating out the other young guys for the 14th forward spot.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Patch scored 48 goals and 104 points over the past 2 seasons. That's 0.84 PPG and was nearly a PPG player last year. He's 24 and is 6'2 220 pounds. He's big, can skate, and is a much more proven player than Bennett. How you can look at those stats, his size, age, and pedigree and NOT think he's a no brainer over Bennett is a little crazy IMO.

Van Riemsdyk is the only one of the 4 who one could argue Bennett has a chance against and it's still pretty slim.

Look we all love Bennett and his upside but let's not get carried away here. If he is going to make the Olympic roster, it's going to be beating out the other young guys for the 14th forward spot.
and the extras should probably be able to play center and wing if possible.

Old
07-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:

Pretty much my thoughts. He has absolutely no chance to beat out Patches. I love Beau as much as anyone, and it's not to say that he might not be in the same conversation as him one day, but right now Pacioretty is the better player and it's not close.

I don't think JVR is necessarily a lock for a starting spot, but the only way Bennett ends up being the one who knocks him out is if he starts the year on Sid or Geno's wing playing 17+ minutes a night while being maybe a little less than a PPG player. And while I do think Beau could put up impressive numbers with Sid or Geno, I don't think he'll be starting the year there.

Plus there's another factor. If Dan didn't trust Beau to play in every playoff game, then why would anyone think he'd trust him (or any of the other young guys invited) to play in the Olympics?

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Shady Machine

So looking at the US forward roster here are the position break downs and depth chart (I am strictly using position based on NHL.com so I'm probably off here on a few):

Left Wing / Center / Right Wing
Parise / Stastny / Kane
Patches / Backes / Kessel
Van Riemsdyk / Kesler / Ryan
xxxxx / Pavelski / Brown
xxxxx / Stepan / Callahan
xxxxx / xxxxx / Oshie

Those are the best 14 forwards from the invite list as I see it. One of the right wingers will slide into a left wing spot. These aren't meant to be lines just a depth chart at each forward position.

Other Left wingers: Saad, Abdelkader
Other Centers: Lewis, Galchenyuk, Bjugstad, Smith
Other Right Wingers: Okposo, Palmieri, Wheeler, Bennett

While the US doesn't have crazy depth, they have 5 centers that will make the team and a slew of right wingers better/ more established than Bennett. His only shot IMO, is if he plays left wing with Geno to start the year and produces like crazy.

Old
07-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
So looking at the US forward roster here are the position break downs and depth chart (I am strictly using position based on NHL.com so I'm probably off here on a few):

Left Wing / Center / Right Wing
Parise / Stastny / Kane
Patches / Backes / Kessel
Van Riemsdyk / Kesler / Ryan
xxxxx / Pavelski / Brown
xxxxx / Stepan / Callahan
xxxxx / xxxxx / Oshie

Those are the best 14 forwards from the invite list as I see it. One of the right wingers will slide into a left wing spot. These aren't meant to be lines just a depth chart at each forward position.

Other Left wingers: Saad, Abdelkader
Other Centers: Lewis, Galchenyuk, Bjugstad, Smith
Other Right Wingers: Okposo, Palmieri, Wheeler, Bennett

While the US doesn't have crazy depth, they have 5 centers that will make the team and a slew of right wingers better/ more established than Bennett. His only shot IMO, is if he plays left wing with Geno to start the year and produces like crazy.
Kesler will probably be the #1 center. Backes might not even play unless someone gets injured and if he does, it's probably on the 4th line.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:24 PM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Quote:
I may have to start an HFB propaganda campaign to lift our belief in Beau Bennett: American Folk Hero.

He needs to make that team, for the good of our republic... so that we might believe in ourselves once more.
I'm in. Presidential style campaign. Website?

"Bennett for America".

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post

"Bennett for America".
Beau Knows America

Old
07-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Kesler will probably be the #1 center. Backes might not even play unless someone gets injured and if he does, it's probably on the 4th line.
Kesler could certainly be their number 1 center, but I don't think it's that clear cut. Also, I'd be surprised if Backes wasn't a regular on the team. I guess you could argue Stepan would make it over him, but I think it's more likely Stepan vs Stastny. Backes just seems like the kind of character guy you want on the ice. That said, I could see Paveski potentially being a guy that switches to wing and they roll with Kesler, Stastny, Stepan, Backes at center.

Old
07-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Kesler could certainly be their number 1 center, but I don't think it's that clear cut. Also, I'd be surprised if Backes wasn't a regular on the team. I guess you could argue Stepan would make it over him, but I think it's more likely Stepan vs Stastny. Backes just seems like the kind of character guy you want on the ice. That said, I could see Paveski potentially being a guy that switches to wing and they roll with Kesler, Stastny, Stepan, Backes at center.
USA should be a very balanced team as far as line numbers go. Sadly, they are balanced somewhere around Canada's 3rd line

Old
07-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
USA should be a very balanced team as far as line numbers go. Sadly, they are balanced somewhere around Canada's 3rd line
Yeah that's true

Old
07-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Yeah that's true
hey, at least they have the advantage in net. lets go quick.

Old
07-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
You and your pesky logic. I didn't notice how strong a year he had last season. So in my defense, I didn't look... I merely proclaimed the rightness of Beau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post

"Bennett for America".
Beau is America, and we are Beau. Together we can bring glory to America, and the Stars and Stripes will fly over Sochi forever more... Putin will resign, the KGB will disband, Pvssy Riot will be freed and change their name to "Beauner Riot", waiting to be serviced by the legend himself.

Quote:
hey, at least they have the advantage in net. lets go quick.
Indeed. I like our chances as long as Quick is in net. We can steal a game from Canadah or Russia no problem when he's on his game. Best goalie in the tournament IMO.

Old
07-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Perhaps but we ain't the same in goal and right now besides Lundqvist I'd say Quick is #2 in the World. The US have a great shot at this, well if Disco coaches right anyways

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Same could be said last time around though, and they still pushed Canada to the brink. The US play a real physical, uptempo game that doesn't give skill much time to operate.