HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visiting Calgary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2013, 03:24 AM
  #1
Taelin
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,108
vCash: 500
Visiting Calgary

Hey, I'll be visiting Calgary during the last week of August, and will be spending a couple of days in the city. Does anyone know the best place to have Albertan beef is? My family really wants to try it out, since we're in Calgary anyway.

Thanks in advance!

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:16 AM
  #2
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,822
vCash: 500
I'm visiting in a couple weeks.

Super excited! I've never been to Alberta!!

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:14 AM
  #3
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,801
vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Hey, I'll be visiting Calgary during the last week of August, and will be spending a couple of days in the city. Does anyone know the best place to have Albertan beef is? My family really wants to try it out, since we're in Calgary anyway.

Thanks in advance!
You'll get Alberta Beef pretty much anywhere you go. For good steaks, I enjoy:

Caesars
Cattle Baron
Smuggler's Inn (prime rib is mmmmm...)
Ric's Grill

There are some places that I don't recommend - most of the major chain "family restaurants" (although I had steak at Ricky's that was surprisingly good). There's a place called "Halo Steakhouse" in South Calgary where I quite possibly had the worst / most disappointing steak I've ever had.

Ironically, if you can find Alberta Beef somewhere else in Canada it could actually be better because it's aged a bit longer due to travel time.

__________________
The problem with quotes on the internet is that you are unable to confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:16 AM
  #4
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,978
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
You'll get Alberta Beef pretty much anywhere you go. For good steaks, I enjoy:

Caesars
Cattle Baron
Smuggler's Inn (prime rib is mmmmm...)
Ric's Grill

There are some places that I don't recommend - most of the major chain "family restaurants" (although I had steak at Ricky's that was surprisingly good). There's a place called "Halo Steakhouse" in South Calgary where I quite possibly had the worst / most disappointing steak I've ever had.

Ironically, if you can find Alberta Beef somewhere else in Canada it could actually be better because it's aged a bit longer due to travel time.
I second the bolded. Or better yet, if you are staying at someones place and they have a BBQ, run to the store (M&M Meat Shops would be my recommendation) and buy some nice steaks and do them up yourself.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:58 AM
  #5
Taelin
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
You'll get Alberta Beef pretty much anywhere you go. For good steaks, I enjoy:

Caesars
Cattle Baron
Smuggler's Inn (prime rib is mmmmm...)
Ric's Grill

There are some places that I don't recommend - most of the major chain "family restaurants" (although I had steak at Ricky's that was surprisingly good). There's a place called "Halo Steakhouse" in South Calgary where I quite possibly had the worst / most disappointing steak I've ever had.

Ironically, if you can find Alberta Beef somewhere else in Canada it could actually be better because it's aged a bit longer due to travel time.
Thanks! I'll look into those places. Do I need to make reservations, or can I just walk in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I second the bolded. Or better yet, if you are staying at someones place and they have a BBQ, run to the store (M&M Meat Shops would be my recommendation) and buy some nice steaks and do them up yourself.
I'm just staying at a hotel, so I'll have to go to a restaurant to eat.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:58 PM
  #6
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,801
vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Thanks! I'll look into those places. Do I need to make reservations, or can I just walk in?
Weeknights you might be okay without reservations, but Friday/Saturday/Sunday I'd recommend them - just give them a call beforehand.

Smuggler's has a pretty epic Sunday Brunch as well but it's usually quite busy.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:00 PM
  #7
MonahanForCalder
Sven Hype Train CHOO
 
MonahanForCalder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lameticton, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
You'll get Alberta Beef pretty much anywhere you go. For good steaks, I enjoy:

Caesars
Cattle Baron
Smuggler's Inn (prime rib is mmmmm...)
Ric's Grill

There are some places that I don't recommend - most of the major chain "family restaurants" (although I had steak at Ricky's that was surprisingly good). There's a place called "Halo Steakhouse" in South Calgary where I quite possibly had the worst / most disappointing steak I've ever had.

Ironically, if you can find Alberta Beef somewhere else in Canada it could actually be better because it's aged a bit longer due to travel time.
In my experience's of going to Calgary, the prime rib at Smuggler's Inn is amazing.

MonahanForCalder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:40 PM
  #8
Rangediddy
Registered User
 
Rangediddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 560
vCash: 567
Saltlik Steakhouse has incredible steaks (my faves are the Filet Mignon and Prime Rib)

Vintage Chophouse is great as well.

Rangediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 05:10 PM
  #9
Taelin
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Weeknights you might be okay without reservations, but Friday/Saturday/Sunday I'd recommend them - just give them a call beforehand.

Smuggler's has a pretty epic Sunday Brunch as well but it's usually quite busy.
I'll be there during weekdays, so hopefully I won't need to make reservations. I guess I should though, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangediddy View Post
Saltlik Steakhouse has incredible steaks (my faves are the Filet Mignon and Prime Rib)

Vintage Chophouse is great as well.
Thanks for the advice!

It's looking like a close race between Caesar's and Smuggler's right now. I'll be there for two nights, so might as well try both?

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:16 PM
  #10
Signature
Robin Williams RIP
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 50
If you feel really hungry try Big T's BBQ by the University… metric **** ton of beef if you can handle it. But really, it's Alberta beef product in every restaurant 99 percent of the time in Calgary.

Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:22 PM
  #11
BVicious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,269
vCash: 50
The Keg's 18oz Rib eye is amazing. Although I rarely eat out, the best is purchasing steaks from BonTon meat market.

Anywho, visiting Calgary there are several great places which were mostly mentioned here. Anywhere you eat steak here will more than likely be Alberta's AAA steak. It's going where the Chefs know how to properly prepare and grill a steak.

Goo luck and enjoy your stay

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:30 PM
  #12
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,822
vCash: 500
I'm going to drive from Calgary to Edmonton for the day.


Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:55 PM
  #13
Signature
Robin Williams RIP
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four1 Lead View Post
I'm going to drive from Calgary to Edmonton for the day.

Your loss.

Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:04 PM
  #14
Trae
Registered User
 
Trae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,137
vCash: 50
Vintage Chophouse is where I've had the best steak in town, little pricey and you gotta dress formal/casual, but super good.

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:06 PM
  #15
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
Your loss.
I get to spend 4 of the 7 days in Calgary. Coming from Toronto, I wanted to go check out Red Deer and Edmonton for a day as well. If you have any ideas for stuff to do in Calgary that would be awesome. Any nice parks that we could visit? The girlfriend just got a new DSLR camera and wants to snap some scenery and pics.

:-)

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:15 PM
  #16
Signature
Robin Williams RIP
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four1 Lead View Post
I get to spend 4 of the 7 days in Calgary. Coming from Toronto, I wanted to go check out Red Deer and Edmonton for a day as well. If you have any ideas for stuff to do in Calgary that would be awesome. Any nice parks that we could visit? The girlfriend just got a new DSLR camera and wants to snap some scenery and pics.

:-)
Go to Banff or Drumheller instead. In all honesty, and this is with the opinion of friends from Edmonton, Edmonton is just an older, colder, norther version of Calgary.

Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:35 PM
  #17
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,801
vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four1 Lead View Post
I get to spend 4 of the 7 days in Calgary. Coming from Toronto, I wanted to go check out Red Deer and Edmonton for a day as well. If you have any ideas for stuff to do in Calgary that would be awesome. Any nice parks that we could visit? The girlfriend just got a new DSLR camera and wants to snap some scenery and pics.

:-)
Go west, young man. Banff / Lake Louise / Kananaskis Country will offer plenty of scenery.

I would recommend skipping Red Deer & Edmonton, unless you have to go to those places, and use that time in the mountain parks.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:36 PM
  #18
Trae
Registered User
 
Trae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,137
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four1 Lead View Post
I get to spend 4 of the 7 days in Calgary. Coming from Toronto, I wanted to go check out Red Deer and Edmonton for a day as well. If you have any ideas for stuff to do in Calgary that would be awesome. Any nice parks that we could visit? The girlfriend just got a new DSLR camera and wants to snap some scenery and pics.

:-)
A lot of the major parks aren't up to regular standards with the floods but I haven't checked them out recently to see where they currently are. Just head a little west and see some mountains, 30min-hour drive.

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:10 AM
  #19
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Go west, young man. Banff / Lake Louise / Kananaskis Country will offer plenty of scenery.

I would recommend skipping Red Deer & Edmonton, unless you have to go to those places, and use that time in the mountain parks.
We're spending 3 days in Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper.

I want to figure out some activities in the other 4 days.

We're going to be there for a week.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:11 AM
  #20
Haatley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I second the bolded. Or better yet, if you are staying at someones place and they have a BBQ, run to the store (M&M Meat Shops would be my recommendation) and buy some nice steaks and do them up yourself.
Lol m&m mear shops do not have good steaks.

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:14 AM
  #21
Anglesmith
Moderator
GDTs now 90% off!
 
Anglesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,787
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
Lol m&m mear shops do not have good steaks.
I actually had some bacon-wrapped baseball-like steaks from there that were pretty delicious. I just don't know why you'd go to M&M if you're looking for fresh Alberta beef.

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:25 AM
  #22
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters
 
Ice Cream Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 4,857
vCash: 500
Sorry. I only do bookings, and you`ll have to make a reservation through my girlfriend.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:50 AM
  #23
Taelin
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Sorry. I only do bookings, and you`ll have to make a reservation through my girlfriend.
I'll keep that in mind

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:16 AM
  #24
bossy22
Registered User
 
bossy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Spend the extra days in Jasper. You will not regret it if you are into hiking and scenery.

bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:22 AM
  #25
bossy22
Registered User
 
bossy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
If ya like sushi and need a break from beef, Oka Sushi Is a fantastic sushi bar at The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge. Book a res as its popular among locals.

bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.