HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Niedermayer???

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Cuiff

vCash: 500
Scott Niedermayer???

What do you think of the story in the Sunday Inky stating the the Flyers will go after Scott Niedermayer once the CBA is completed? I like the idea but I have to wonder where the cap room is going to come from?

Old
06-25-2005, 08:23 PM
MojoJojo

The Flyers could come up with a fair amount of cap room, but I wonder if Niedermeyer is the sort of player we really need. No doubt he would be the exact sort of player Hitch loves, but With Johnsson, Pitkanen, Seidenberg, and Desjardins
we already have enough puck moving defensemen who can generate offense. The only real defensive defenseman we have left is Danny Markov.

Old
06-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
Neidermeyer comes with tons of playoff and finals experience...I'd take him anyday.

Old
06-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Dr Love

I'd love to have him here, but I doubt it happens. If the Devils don't keep him, someone else will have more money to give than the Flyers.

I can not be the only one who, when hearing his name or his brother's, thinks of Animal House every time.

Old
06-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
I'd love to have him here, but I doubt it happens. If the Devils don't keep him, someone else will have more money to give than the Flyers.

I can not be the only one who, when hearing his name or his brother's, thinks of Animal House every time.
DEAD!!!

06-25-2005, 09:15 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
I'd rather spend on the defensive defensive man. Niedermayer would look good as a Flyer, but like said he's not what we need.

Old
06-25-2005, 09:18 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
DEAD!!!
Two favorites:

Warmer: Put Neidermeyer on it. He's a sneaky little **** just like you.

Neidermeyer: How does it feel to be an independent, Schoenstein?
Boon: How does it feel to be an *******, Neidermeyer?

Old
06-25-2005, 10:42 PM
blah

I'd rather they go after a defensive dman as well. Is Adam Foote a FA?

Old
06-26-2005, 12:24 AM
stanley

Quote:
DEAD!!!
I don't know about this. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? I don't think so.

Mojo, Niedermeyer is the kind of player every team could use. If available and affordable, I'd like to do business with the organization that wouldn't try to acquire him given the opportunity.

Old
06-26-2005, 01:25 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
I'd rather they go after a defensive dman as well. Is Adam Foote a FA?
Yep. Would be an amazing d-partner with Johnsson.

Old
06-26-2005, 03:16 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Warmer: Put Neidermeyer on it. He's a sneaky little **** just like you.
That's great Doc! That is also one of my favorite lines in that movie and that's saying a lot too.

Old
06-26-2005, 03:49 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
Mojo, Niedermeyer is the kind of player every team could use. If available and affordable, I'd like to do business with the organization that wouldn't try to acquire him given the opportunity.
Your 100% correct Stanley.

Niedermeyer is my boy and the reason I say that is because he was the first prospect that I remember following and the start of me becoming such a fanatic with hockey prospects.

Right now in my opinion there is no better defenseman in the league today, but the thing was before that he was a work in progress that before the last few years left alot of Devils fans (including me) frustrated with his progress. But as time passed and we kept winning Stanley Cups with Nieder performing above the expectations that were expected from him based on his less stelur play during the regular seasons it eventually started to dawn to us Devils fans that his play was exactely what you wanted from a defenseman during the crunch of the playoffs. And in 2003 his play in the playoffs that helped us to our third Cup was most definitely worth of being a Conn Smythe winner and would probably have been if it wasn't for the performance of Giguere, he was that good during that 2003 run.

One of the reasons that I think Devils fans were so hard on him in his early years was that when he played for Kamloops(sp?) in the juniors comparisons were made of him and Paul Coffey and as you can imagine that is quite a comparison to fill. I mean during the late 1990's after our first cup win there were not many Devils fans believe it or not that would not be opposed to dealing him back then because we were dissatisfied with his less than Coffey numbers. My God, what were we thinking?

Because now Niedermeyer is the prototype defenseman that every team wishes for, he can score on a pinch, and if not still get back on defense as if he never left the point. He has won three Stanley Cups, a Gold Medal and a World Cup, not many of today's defenseman or NHL players for that matter can claim that and in every single team triumph that he was a player in his play was always clutch.

And if he leaves the Devils I will be crushed completely and the team that is lucky to sign him, the last thing they should worry about is if he fits on the team.

Players like Niedermeyer you work the defense around him, not the other way around. He's that ****ing good.

Old
06-26-2005, 07:13 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
I like the idea but I have to wonder where the cap room is going to come from?
Not sure which article you're referring to, but I imagine they just printed Panaccio's.
Which also includes the following:

Quote:
Yes, the Flyers are going to exceed the salary cap from the drop of the first puck and take a hit on the luxury tax. Does anyone think Niedermayer isn't worth such a price?
So basically he's saying for Niedermayer the Flyers would just pay the tax.

Now, the obviously connected, yet owner of a shady past, gossip person over at another Flyers board brought this (going after Niedermayer) up a week or so ago.

Apparently, the UFA's out there have been feeling out teams all along and there's been a lot of courting. Something I didn't think was really happening. Maybe it's just been a recent thing since I'm sure the GM's, players and agents basically know what the cap will be at this point where as 3 months ago when the CBA still looked a ways away there was no reason for them to be talking.

The rumors say it comes down to us and the Canucks. As long as we don't lose one of our important RFA's to sign him I'm cool. In other words, even though he's clearly a better player then Johnsson, I'd rather keep the chemistry and the younger guy then just attempt to "buy" a cup.

But, being the skeptical guy that I am, I'm of the mind that he's staying in Jersey and I'll believe that until I see otherwise.

Old
06-26-2005, 07:15 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
But, being the skeptical guy that I am, I'm of the mind that he's staying in Jersey and I'll believe that until I see otherwise.
Dude, if your right, I swear I'll kiss you on the lips.

Old
06-26-2005, 07:26 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Dude, if your right, I swear I'll kiss you on the lips.
Well, I think I'll defer to his agent on that one if it's right. But I think he'll stay. I think you guys will open the wallet for him. You're in better shape to do that then us or the Canucks IMO. And Lou isn't an idiot and knows what he means to your team. Remember last year's playoffs. It was like the Flyers vs Niedermayer. Sure, he couldn't do it by himself, but it was incredible watching him try even though he came up well short. No one else on your team was even on the same planet as he was when it came to effort and impact on the game.

I think he'll end up getting about 4 million a year for a few years. It will of course depend on just what that luxury tax turns out to be. If it really is a soft cap, it will just depend on how soft it really is.

Old
06-26-2005, 07:31 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
Well, I think I'll defer to his agent on that one if it's right. But I think he'll stay. I think you guys will open the wallet for him. You're in better shape to do that then us or the Canucks IMO. And Lou isn't an idiot and knows what he means to your team. Remember last year's playoffs. It was like the Flyers vs Niedermayer. Sure, he couldn't do it by himself, but it was incredible watching him try even though he came up well short. No one else on your team was even on the same planet as he was when it came to effort and impact on the game.

I think he'll end up getting about 4 million a year for a few years. It will of course depend on just what that luxury tax turns out to be. If it really is a soft cap, it will just depend on how soft it really is.
I think another thing to look out for is what the Devils do with Stevens. I don't know his contract situation, but if the cap is tight for us Lou might have to choose between giving Stevens a contract (Ya gotta figure it'll be $4 mil at least) for just one year or forget Stevens and sign Neidermeyer for multiple years in Stevens cap space. It could be tough to keep both of them and you gotta assume that Stevens the warrior that he is will not want to go the way he did (concussion) and play one more season.

It's gonna be one crazy summer once they seal the CBA.

Old
06-26-2005, 07:41 AM
Liquidrage*

Yeah, it's going to be like trade-deadline day, every day, for about a month or two.

Which means we're going to crash a lot of message boards

Old
06-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
I don't know about this. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Germans??

They must have followed the Japanese in Pearl Harbor. Maybe looking for a hotel spot or beach real estate - those sneeky Germans.

Old
06-26-2005, 08:19 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
Germans??

They must have followed the Japanese in Pearl Harbor. Maybe looking for a hotel spot or beach real estate - those sneeky Germans.
Oh my God.

OK dude, don't panic, this is what you do, drop everything that you are doing right now and run, not walk, run to your nearest video store and rent Animal House.

It's not to late son.

Old
06-26-2005, 09:06 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Roenick,Leclair,Amonte,Primeau,Brashbear,Knuble,Ha ndzus signed ... you can keep dreaming.

Old
06-26-2005, 09:12 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Color@do @v@l@nche
Roenick,Leclair,Amonte,Primeau,Brashbear,Knuble,Ha ndzus signed ... you can keep dreaming.
Amonte and LeClair are as good as gone. We've all known for a while the club will buy them out at 2/3rds.

Brash is anyone's guess. But I'm assuming he'll be back. Of course, I'm not as certain about that as I was a few months ago.

Old
06-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
LeClair and Amonte are going to be bought out. Brashear could be too.

Knuble and Brashear make "only" $2 million. Primeau has a new contract that pays him $4.25M on average. Handzus has a new contract too, but last year he made less than $2M, he can't be making too much more. Roenick is the only guy making more than Primeau.

EDIT: That's before rollback.

Last edited by Dr Love: 06-26-2005 at 10:03 AM.
Old
06-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Colorado Avalanche

if you buyout leclair and amonte who's gonna take their place?? (Carter,Richards?)

Leclair 9 million contract 55 points. Not worth of it.

Amonte 50 points 5,8 million contract is pretty high too..(you can get better player UFA etc. Kariya..)

After you fill their places then we can see if you have enough cap space to sign niedermayer.

Last edited by Colorado Avalanche: 06-26-2005 at 09:36 AM.
Old
06-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
if you buyout leclair and amonte who's gonna take their place??
In terms of roster spots: Jeff Carter and Mike Richards.

C: Handzus, Primeau, Carter, Richards
LW: Gagne, Kapanen, Somik, Fedoruk
RW: Roenick, Radio, Knuble, Stevenson

And that's without any FA additions. Flyers certainly need a winger.

Old
06-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
if you buyout leclair and amonte who's gonna take their place??
Out of Richards, Carter and JR, only two are going to be centers.
I think most feel JR is moving to wing. With Carter and Richards playing center.
Sharp will play a bigger role at wing, as will Radio. We also signed Knuble. I wouldn't be shocked to see Carter play wing though. But I've no reason to believe he won't be a center this year.

Remember, we also let Recchi walk.

So the general though at who's replacing them is JR (since he'll be at wing), Knuble, Sharp and Radio.

If you look at who we expect to be on the roster upfront on opening day it amounts to:

Handzus
Primeau
Carter
Richards
JR
Gagne
Knuble
Kapanen
Stevenson
Radivojevic
Sharp
Brashear

With Somik and Fedoruk left over somewhere. Unless Brash goes too, then I'd expect for Hitch to play Somik since he loves him, but to me that leaves our team a little soft, especially since we'll be playing the two young centers a lot.

Closed Thread