HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting Work at a Local Rink

Old
07-21-2013, 07:48 PM
SolidusAKA

vCash: 500
Getting Work at a Local Rink

Does anyone have any experience working at a local rink? There is a place just down the street from me and I could use some part time work. Does anyone have experience at local level sized rinks or knows the kind of work people could do at rinks? I spoke to a friend who said people usually start as "front enders" who clean locker rooms, help move the nets and clean the ice. Id love to get closer to the game like this. Maybe move up to skate sharpening and fitting/etc. Do you need certain kinds of experience or training?

SolidusAKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:05 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1375
I have a buddy who works as an instructor and referee. He got his job through the city and works at various rinks. Prerequisites obviously were that he had played hockey and had referee gear. Other than that, he just applied like anything else, only to the city, rather than at the rink.

If you're looking to do skate sharpening, maybe go in and inquire about it, or about any position? I think that'd be your best bet. Ask if they're hiring and say you're interested in working at the rink and passionate about the game. If you strike out, maybe try your local hockey shop?

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:21 AM
AIREAYE

Yeah, the best way to approach it is to be open to doing whatever the rink needs you to do. I would imagine that, as you gain more experience, you would do a whole host of different jobs there.

The best way would be to go into the rink (dressed nicely, resume in hand, maybe not visible etc.) and just have a casual chat with the manager. Make sure it's clear that you want to be a part of his place and are willing to help out anywhere. If you show that initiative (which puts you ahead straight away of anyone else who just dropped off a resume) and show that attitude of willing to help and learn (flexibility), then you have a good shot!

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Yeah, the best way to approach it is to be open to doing whatever the rink needs you to do. I would imagine that, as you gain more experience, you would do a whole host of different jobs there.

The best way would be to go into the rink (dressed nicely, resume in hand, maybe not visible etc.) and just have a casual chat with the manager. Make sure it's clear that you want to be a part of his place and are willing to help out anywhere. If you show that initiative (which puts you ahead straight away of anyone else who just dropped off a resume) and show that attitude of willing to help and learn (flexibility), then you have a good shot!
At our rink it depends on what you're planning on doing when it comes to this stuff. If you're planning on doing just anything (such as front-end stuff or snack-bar) then our manager would rather you just drop an application off at the office. If you're planning on doing something a little more technical/involved like resurfacing or pro-shop THEN he might want to have a chat.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:31 PM
AngryBoss

In my neck of the woods, it's a union job and very hard to get in because it pays insanely well and you get to be at the rink everyday.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote