HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Players Pump TNSE's Tires

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-29-2013, 07:35 PM
  #1
puck stoppa
Registered User
 
puck stoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,572
vCash: 500
Players Pump TNSE's Tires

This may have already been well documented on this forum by I haven't had time to read a lot of the threads so thought I would post my thoughts.
After seeing all of the Jets RFA's sign long term deals, it is clear that players clearly want to be here. I know it's different being and RFA compared to UFA but Little, Wheeler, and Bogo all stated they wanted to be here long term. They all said that they like what TNSE stands for and that they are a first class organization headed in the right direction. This is great to hear and hopefully we are getting a good reputation around the league.
Even though some people say we will never sign FA here (Lawless made me want to puke today with his dumbass question asking Wheeler if players ask for more money to stay in Winnipeg cause its cold and a small market, WHAT A DUMMY!)
Im starting to think that once we establish ourselves as a team with first class ownership and commitment to winning that Free Agents will come here. Let's face it, players sign in Philly and Det all the time cause they are good organizations that have a winning tradition, we sure know that they don't sign there cause the city is an unreal place to live, cause Ive been to both. TNSE is going to attract people cause of the small details, taking care of players and being serious about winning. Can't wait to see where we are three years from now, I could be wrong but I think we will be a place where people want to be.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:37 PM
  #2
King Woodballs
**** HFJets
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 34,160
vCash: 375
Players will show up once the Jets become a playoff/Stanley cup contender.
The guys that signed this week could have signed 1or 2 year deal and became UFA's.

They chose not too
That says something about this organization

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 08:43 PM
  #3
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,981
vCash: 72
I don't think location is everything when it comes to free agents. Yea it plays a part, but I think the strength of the team and how good the ownership group is and all that definitely play, IMO, a bigger role. Your barely in the city you sign in because you play half of your games on the road...then when the season is done, you can just go elsewhere anyways.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 09:27 PM
  #4
DancesWithWookies
Registered User
 
DancesWithWookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Thats true sully. Also, lets not forget that a lot of the players we signed to long term contracts were third liners or fourth liners who when coming to Atlanta/Winnipeg, got the opportunity to be first and second liners, an opportunity they would not have in "better" markets.

DancesWithWookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:12 PM
  #5
gibber1600
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Great white north
Country: Canada
Posts: 569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaveJesus View Post
Thats true sully. Also, lets not forget that a lot of the players we signed to long term contracts were third liners or fourth liners who when coming to Atlanta/Winnipeg, got the opportunity to be first and second liners, an opportunity they would not have in "better" markets.
I dont agree with this.

gibber1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:16 PM
  #6
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Please Understand
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,909
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibber1600 View Post
I dont agree with this.
The only ones I can think off off the top of my head are Wheeler, Ladd, and Buff.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:21 PM
  #7
buggs
A storm is coming...
 
buggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: no beavers here
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
The only ones I can think off off the top of my head are Wheeler, Ladd, and Buff.
Ladd is at best a third liner.







buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:29 PM
  #8
gibber1600
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Great white north
Country: Canada
Posts: 569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
Ladd is at best a third liner.






He's invited to the Olympics! Some hockey people think he's good.

gibber1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:30 PM
  #9
LadyJet26
WHITEOUT
 
LadyJet26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,157
vCash: 50
Location has some factor, but so does money and a commitment to winning.

Jets will be signing more FAs then the Canucks in the near future. There's no way in hell that joke of a franchise will be able to sign anyone decent in years to come after the hack job they did with their goaltending fiasco and they're in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Oh and look, now they're retiring Bure's number to get some fans back. This former fan ain't. I'd burn all of my Canucks stuff had I not just spent $300 on a Hamhuis third in April.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:44 PM
  #10
PaperRockChamp
Registered User
 
PaperRockChamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wpg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 50
This ownership will be at the top of the league in 3-5 years, if not now. I have full confidence in TNSE and Chevy and what kind of culture they are establishing in Winnipeg. We are lucky.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:47 PM
  #11
DancesWithWookies
Registered User
 
DancesWithWookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsnHawks View Post
Location has some factor, but so does money and a commitment to winning.

Jets will be signing more FAs then the Canucks in the near future. There's no way in hell that joke of a franchise will be able to sign anyone decent in years to come after the hack job they did with their goaltending fiasco and they're in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Oh and look, now they're retiring Bure's number to get some fans back. This former fan ain't. I'd burn all of my Canucks stuff had I not just spent $300 on a Hamhuis third in April.
I donno, I felt the Canucks won the draft with drafting Bo Horvat and Shinkurik and I think Lou is still a pretty good Goalie.

And I disagree with you disagreeing with me Gibber

DancesWithWookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:50 PM
  #12
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 4,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
This may have already been well documented on this forum by I haven't had time to read a lot of the threads so thought I would post my thoughts.
After seeing all of the Jets RFA's sign long term deals, it is clear that players clearly want to be here. I know it's different being and RFA compared to UFA but Little, Wheeler, and Bogo all stated they wanted to be here long term. They all said that they like what TNSE stands for and that they are a first class organization headed in the right direction. This is great to hear and hopefully we are getting a good reputation around the league.
Even though some people say we will never sign FA here (Lawless made me want to puke today with his dumbass question asking Wheeler if players ask for more money to stay in Winnipeg cause its cold and a small market, WHAT A DUMMY!)
Im starting to think that once we establish ourselves as a team with first class ownership and commitment to winning that Free Agents will come here. Let's face it, players sign in Philly and Det all the time cause they are good organizations that have a winning tradition, we sure know that they don't sign there cause the city is an unreal place to live, cause Ive been to both. TNSE is going to attract people cause of the small details, taking care of players and being serious about winning. Can't wait to see where we are three years from now, I could be wrong but I think we will be a place where people want to be.
Agree, puck stoppa.

Though, I'm not too worried about signing a UFA. Typically teams pay way too much, with little return. For every Chara and Hossa in FA, there are plenty of Lieno and bryz.

I would much rather have Chevy and co sign the guys that want to be here, that are part of our young core, and fill holes with trades and draft picks. Picks will likely have greater loyalty to the team they know and grew up with (especially a well-run organization) and smart trades might grab a player who enjoys being here and adds to the core.

If Seto raises his game, produces a career year, and likes it here, maybe he re-signs. Especially if the team becomes a solid playoff team, as suggested.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:54 PM
  #13
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,052
vCash: 50
I'm happy players are realizing the character the TNSE possesses.
Mark Chipman will flat out treat you fairly. I think this has been well documented.
TNSE has been by all accounts (from players) exceptional at helping players make the transition from Atlanta or where ever to Winnipeg.
And I think their reputation as a first class ownership group will help attract some players that wouldn't previously have considered Winnipeg. We will never be a FA hot spot, but character players who value winning I think will see what this ownership group brings.

I would rank TNSE among the very best owners in the entire league. I think Mark's hockey knowledge, coupled with Davids deep pockets (not that he'll necessarily be using them, but the knowledge that the capital is available is important) should make players and fans of Winnipeg very happy. I think the inclusion of Mark in the high level lockout negotiations gives you a sense of his reputation within the hockey world.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:06 PM
  #14
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 4,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I'm happy players are realizing the character the TNSE possesses.
Mark Chipman will flat out treat you fairly. I think this has been well documented.
TNSE has been by all accounts (from players) exceptional at helping players make the transition from Atlanta or where ever to Winnipeg.
And I think their reputation as a first class ownership group will help attract some players that wouldn't previously have considered Winnipeg. We will never be a FA hot spot, but character players who value winning I think will see what this ownership group brings.

I would rank TNSE among the very best owners in the entire league. I think Mark's hockey knowledge, coupled with Davids deep pockets (not that he'll necessarily be using them, but the knowledge that the capital is available is important) should make players and fans of Winnipeg very happy. I think the inclusion of Mark in the high level lockout negotiations gives you a sense of his reputation within the hockey world.
Agree. And Mark's pitch at the CBA meetings, (paraphrase) 'give us a system that works and allows us to compete for cups'. Mark isn't in it just to make a buck or two, and build a hotel or condos, he also wants to win cups. Players will see that. It may take some time for the plan to work, but the players already here, sure believe.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:06 PM
  #15
ediger
Registered User
 
ediger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 215
vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I don't think location is everything when it comes to free agents. Yea it plays a part, but I think the strength of the team and how good the ownership group is and all that definitely play, IMO, a bigger role. Your barely in the city you sign in because you play half of your games on the road...then when the season is done, you can just go elsewhere anyways.
I agree with this.

The players the Jets want to go after are the players who realize that there's a difference between the hockey season and the offseason. They get a decent amount of time in the offseason to travel, relax, party or whatever. During hockey season, they don't need to be in a city with a crazy club scene or anything, they're supposed to be concentrating on hockey.

Overall though, players want to win. Doesn't matter what city it is, if the team stinks, FAs aren't going to be lining up to sign there.

ediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:57 PM
  #16
LadyJet26
WHITEOUT
 
LadyJet26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,157
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaveJesus View Post
I donno, I felt the Canucks won the draft with drafting Bo Horvat and Shinkurik and I think Lou is still a pretty good Goalie.

And I disagree with you disagreeing with me Gibber
They won't attract free agents with the way they handled Cory Schneider. They said he was going to be their starter and they traded him. What's that really say about them?

Not much. That was my last straw as a fan of that team. So sad. Hope the Canucks suck for years. Hate them so much now my other favourite team is the Hawks. I used to hate the Hawks...

TNSE does it right. In every sense of the word. This is why there's NHL back in Winnipeg and this is why the Jets will be a winning franchise and be hated by everyone because we're so good (god I hope so). They will attract respectable FAs because of how they are perceived around the league by players. If players are treated awful word gets around, but so does being treated amazing by a franchise. This is why things will be different with 2.0.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 12:14 AM
  #17
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,719
vCash: 500
I will pump the **** out of their tired if they give me $20MM too.

Every coach GM and player in sports works for the best owner ya know?

Seriously, it is nice to hear... but I take it with a grain of salt.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 07:08 AM
  #18
puck stoppa
Registered User
 
puck stoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I will pump the **** out of their tired if they give me $20MM too.

Every coach GM and player in sports works for the best owner ya know?

Seriously, it is nice to hear... but I take it with a grain of salt.
Sure, but not one of Kane, Enstrom, Ladd, Wheeler, Little, Bogo have chosen shorter terms to get out here quicker..... NOT ONE! That's a good sign.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:37 AM
  #19
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Sure, but not one of Kane, Enstrom, Ladd, Wheeler, Little, Bogo have chosen shorter terms to get out here quicker..... NOT ONE! That's a good sign.
Players ask for trades after signing for term. Guaranteed money is generally the key.

I read absolutely zero into that.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:39 AM
  #20
puck stoppa
Registered User
 
puck stoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Players ask for trades after signing for term. Guaranteed money is generally the key.

I read absolutely zero into that.
I just don't see it from the latter players I listed, maybe Kane asks for a trade one day but I think the other players are here to make us a contender, they weren't just feeding the media BS.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:34 AM
  #21
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
I just don't see it from the latter players I listed, maybe Kane asks for a trade one day but I think the other players are here to make us a contender, they weren't just feeding the media BS.
I am not saying any of them will, I have always thought concerns about attracting players were silly, but I don't see any affirmations in the deals either. Players extend with crappy clubs in crappy destinations all the time.

They are smart to take the guaranteed money. Players planning an exit is much more of a rarity.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:37 AM
  #22
Gm0ney
Way down in the hole
 
Gm0ney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,884
vCash: 500
I think TNSE probably looks a lot better to these guys just in comparison to the ASG gong show in Atlanta.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:41 AM
  #23
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I will pump the **** out of their tired if they give me $20MM too.

Every coach GM and player in sports works for the best owner ya know?

Seriously, it is nice to hear... but I take it with a grain of salt.
in most cases regarding players "pumping tires" I'd agree with you truck, but when everyone of these guys signs up for 6 years plus... if that's not a sign that the players actually do like being here, then there is literally nothing they could do that didn't need a grain of salt.

the whole "best owner thing", yah who cares about saying that. But commiting 6+ years when you don't have to, and likely could have got more money by committing less and going Free Agency does, to me at least, say something.

I like to think of myself as realistic and i try and not "get the warm and fuzzies" over stuff like this, but dismissing these commitments as "just playing the game" so to speak is going to the extreme IMO. There WERE better/more self-serving options available for these players.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:17 AM
  #24
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
in most cases regarding players "pumping tires" I'd agree with you truck, but when everyone of these guys signs up for 6 years plus... if that's not a sign that the players actually do like being here, then there is literally nothing they could do that didn't need a grain of salt.

the whole "best owner thing", yah who cares about saying that. But commiting 6+ years when you don't have to, and likely could have got more money by committing less and going Free Agency does, to me at least, say something.

I like to think of myself as realistic and i try and not "get the warm and fuzzies" over stuff like this, but dismissing these commitments as "just playing the game" so to speak is going to the extreme IMO. There WERE better/more self-serving options available for these players.
There is literally nothing they could do that would make me get all warm and fuzzy about them loving Winnipeg. They signed a contract, not a declaration that they like it here.

They probably like Winnipeg as much as:

Hornqvist and Josi like Nashville
Bailey and Hamonic like the Islanders
Zajak likes the devils
Meyers likes the Sabres
Tyutin (and formerly Nash) likes the Blue Jackets
Koivu likes the Wild
Hanzal and OEL like the Yotes
Bozak likes the Leafs

Players signed contracts. That is the story, the why is all all storytelling.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:20 AM
  #25
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jimmycrackcorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
There is literally nothing they could do that would make me get all warm and fuzzy about them loving Winnipeg. They signed a contract, not a declaration that they like it here.

They probably like Winnipeg as much as:

Hornqvist and Josi like Nashville
Bailey and Hamonic like the Islanders
Zajak likes the devils
Meyers likes the Sabres
Tyutin (and formerly Nash) likes the Blue Jackets
Koivu likes the Wild
Hanzal and OEL like the Yotes
Bozak likes the Leafs

Players signed contracts. That is the story, the why is all all storytelling.
In Breaking News - the authorities have apprehended the person who ****** in your corn flakes this morning

jimmycrackcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.