HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr vs S. Stevens in their primes

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-27-2013, 03:49 PM
  #476
manisback121
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGigantic View Post
This is all subjective. But if you are old enough to be a diehard fan of the Devils before and after Scott Stevens (and I was in attendance at Game One in 1982 at the age of 15), then you can get a much better sense of the great many "intangibles" he brought to the franchise. He was one of the greatest Captains to ever play this or any sport. And we went from complete joke (a "Mickey Mouse team") to champions.

So to ask an old school Devils fan if they would trade that for more scoring, the answer is "no".

There are no graphs, metrics, or numerical arguments that would change that opinion.

In a complete vacuum, away from the seismic change in our team's fortunes, Jagr is a fine choice. He has epic numbers. And dominated the league offensively in his peak.

But I would not risk the Three Cups and total vindication for my fandom for any alternate reality.

Remember Merlin Malinowski lol.

manisback121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 05:29 PM
  #477
Scott04
Registered User
 
Scott04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
See, I came up with 312.635
I had that the first time. Gotta carry the 3 and you get the right answer at the end of the equation.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:44 PM
  #478
Dylan9z9
Registered User
 
Dylan9z9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Maybe we should ask Eric Lindros, Paul Karyia, Vyacheslav Koslov and Ron Francis just to name a few....lol

Dylan9z9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 08:04 AM
  #479
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billingtons ghost View Post
It wasn't only that. His nickname was 'Dad'. That should be enough to understand what he brought to the team as far as leadership was concerned.

And you're completely wrong that only Devils fans recognize this. I had a bunch of Leafs fans stop me while on vacation when they noticed my Devs hat just to tell me that 'Stevens was a beaut, eh... and LouLams too...'

He shows up on just about every teams' message board at some point, if defensemen are being discussed.

I saw a Habs fan post that outside of an angry Larry Robinson, absolutely no defenseman since has had the same on-ice presence that Stevens had - and I completely agree with that statement.
I usually agree with some things you say, but im not sure if serious. if youre saying that stevens was better than jagr- in their primes- based on the nickname ‘dad’, people stopping you because of your hat, ‘showing up’ in message boards and his anger…idk. I think the stevens voters continue to move further and further away from the ‘prime’ argument because it doesn’t suit them, and its getting a bit outlandish.

maybe this would help those who are having trouble understanding- if this poll was who would you rather have on your team, im pretty sure 90% of the board (myself included) would say stevens. I don’t think we’d have 3 cups with JJ over scotty. hell this team may not have even been in NJ at this point. but for the billionth time, that’s not the question.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:10 PM
  #480
billingtons ghost
Registered User
 
billingtons ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
I usually agree with some things you say, but im not sure if serious. if youre saying that stevens was better than jagr- in their primes- based on the nickname ‘dad’, people stopping you because of your hat, ‘showing up’ in message boards and his anger…idk. I think the stevens voters continue to move further and further away from the ‘prime’ argument because it doesn’t suit them, and its getting a bit outlandish.

maybe this would help those who are having trouble understanding- if this poll was who would you rather have on your team, im pretty sure 90% of the board (myself included) would say stevens. I don’t think we’d have 3 cups with JJ over scotty. hell this team may not have even been in NJ at this point. but for the billionth time, that’s not the question.
Yeah, I think this started when someone said 'greatest ever to wear the Devils sweater' - and I just said I would rather have Stevens on my team - that if identical teams were out there, and I got to choose one or the other - I would choose Scotty. That's my position, and that's all I'm trying to defend.

So - I think you are answering a different question...


So I think the whole disagreement is all in the definition of greatness. Stats, or the whole package.

billingtons ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:17 PM
  #481
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik
 
JerryGigantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
I usually agree with some things you say, but im not sure if serious. if youre saying that stevens was better than jagr- in their primes- based on the nickname ‘dad’, people stopping you because of your hat, ‘showing up’ in message boards and his anger…idk. I think the stevens voters continue to move further and further away from the ‘prime’ argument because it doesn’t suit them, and its getting a bit outlandish.

maybe this would help those who are having trouble understanding- if this poll was who would you rather have on your team, im pretty sure 90% of the board (myself included) would say stevens. I don’t think we’d have 3 cups with JJ over scotty. hell this team may not have even been in NJ at this point. but for the billionth time, that’s not the question.
Pretty sure we are shy of a billion posts in this thread. But trying to approach this question among Devils fans and require them to remove the inherent bias of how much Stevens means to the franchise and the fans is nigh on impossible.

I simply cannot be made to choose Jagr in this scenario, despite all the barking and braying. Because Scott Stevens is my favorite player ever. The end.

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:47 PM
  #482
Aethon
12 Axes
 
Aethon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 34,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGigantic View Post
Pretty sure we are shy of a billion posts in this thread. But trying to approach this question among Devils fans and require them to remove the inherent bias of how much Stevens means to the franchise and the fans is nigh on impossible.

I simply cannot be made to choose Jagr in this scenario, despite all the barking and braying. Because Scott Stevens is my favorite player ever. The end.
I seriously can't watch this without getting a lump in my throat...I was there that night and it was even more intense.






Last edited by Aethon: 07-29-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Aethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:26 PM
  #483
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik
 
JerryGigantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,670
vCash: 500
You made my eyes rain.

Will never forget that night.

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.