HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part L

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2013, 11:24 AM
ddawg1950

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Hindsight...we were a top 5 favorite to win the Cup based on every agency, betting site, news site.

We didn't get it done in a 1st round sweep but that doesn't mean we didn't have a chance.
A number of sources did have us as a favourite, but honestly, with the way we were playing, the way we were winning, was cause for concern. The big hope, particularly after we took Chicago apart late in the season, had many of us hoping that we were capable of turning on the switch.

Turns out it was a false hope.

Old
08-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
Yes or no: did the Canucks accumulate more points from their own division than the other division leaders?
Wrong question. Teams played their own division 24 times and other divisions in their conference 20 times. Is that a "large" difference, as you suggested? Of course not.

Sure, the Central had better top teams. It also had a team (Columbus) than went 5-17-2 in its own division.

I think we're talking about differences in strength of schedule that are small enough they might account for 2-4 points. I think someone could conceivably argue that if you flipped the divisions around, the Blues might have won the President's Trophy by a point or two.

Which is not anywhere near the "in large part" that you said it was.

Old
08-23-2013, 11:46 AM
tantalum

The problem when arguing about a few points here and there is that various nebulous items can affect things just as much. Something like how motivated is a team to win the second game of a back to back against a non-rival (in every other season it could be a team not even in the conference). How many back to backs were played. How many 3 in 4? The only real FACT, and yes I'm going to use that word despite having no data is that a spread of a few points is pretty darn meaningless at the top and bottom of the standings.

Old
08-23-2013, 12:39 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Hindsight...we were a top 5 favorite to win the Cup based on every agency, betting site, news site.

We didn't get it done in a 1st round sweep but that doesn't mean we didn't have a chance.
Except I predicted our demise because it was clear as day. Just like this year is going to end up with another very disappointing finish.

08-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Except I predicted our demise because it was clear as day. Just like this year is going to end up with another very disappointing finish.
Given that 29/30 teams will suffer 'demise' every year, you're not getting a pat on the back for predicting that.

Cynicism isn't actually wisdom.

Last edited by Wisp: 08-23-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old
08-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
You were right on a 16 to 1 bet. How daring.

I don't view making the playoffs as very disappointing. Spoiled fan is spoiled.

Old
08-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Pretty sure I said a month ago I'd offer Grabovski a one year 3m deal to play with Kesler, and people said I was crazy and he'd never do that.

Too bad. I don't think anything Gillis has done has been bad this off-season, but he certainly hasn't made a few bold moves that I think the team needed to reset the lineup.

I still wish they'd moved Edler.
I suspect he is waiting to evaluate what we have. Do we need a top six forward or can Booth shoulder the load? Same for Kassian. If both are doing well, we may not even need to look elsewhere. Fortunately, Cammalleri and Vanek are on the market. So we do have possibilities if things take a wrong turn for us.

Old
08-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Or alternatively to spending every last dime on season opening day...We could sit tight, let the various rookies show us what they can do and see if a Gaunce/Horvat/Corrado/Jensen brings it and nullifies one of our 'needs improvement' areas? If we spend an entire 82 game season with ~$2M in annual cap hit in space accruing every day until the deadline...You're talking about the sort of 'accumulated' pro-rated space on an AAV basis, to add a legitimate 1st line player if that's the desire. Or a few nice mid-level pieces. As opposed to rummaging through the bargain bin to kick off the season with an extra washed-up/reclamation project/castaway type 3rd line tweener. Without knowing exactly where we stand.

Having cap space to work with and a rookie or two filling important roles and potentially exceeding expectations, say Gaunce at #3C and Corrado as a top-4D...is about as an ideal a situation as you can get heading into a trade deadline if we want to 'load up' for a run during our 'window'. If those rookies don't pan out...sure, make some moves. But i'm not opposed to giving them a chance at least.

Basically...i'm not opposed to what looks like Gillis' strategy of waiting to see what the holes are, before he starts patching them.
Biturbo, I would LOVE for that situation to unfurl. I am a huge fan of our top forward prospects, and if you notice, I have got Corrado on the roster, probably cycling in with Alberts and Weber.

My worry is that one, or two, or all of them, might not be ready, and I am simply hoping for an alternative. My preference is for a couple of guys whose salaries we can dump A.) if they falter too, or better yet, B.) if some of our greenhorns impress everyone.

Quote:
It's quite a bit of space for a deadline acquisition.
Biturbo agrees with you here, as do I in principle, but again, a few of these rookie contracts are higher then the minimum wage-ish kind of deals I'd be hoping for (sub-900k/season). They would impact this somewhat as well.

Plus, who can guarantee we'd have a top line winger to pick up? Cost to us aside (I'd rather keep our young guys then any deadline pick up I can see being available), I just don't see us getting a Hossa or a Kovalchuk or a Carter, the Peverly/Handzus/Kelly examples are likely far more apt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
Gillis was pretty disappointed with the whole Roy experience and hinted towards NOT making any deadline acquisitions in the future after the season ended. Last 2 deadlines have been a disaster for the team and judging from what was said after the season, I wouldn't be surprised if they do nothing. And I'm more than fine with that.

I'm guessing this coming year will be more wait and see with new coach and all, and next summer we will have much better understanding about the team and what young guys like Kassian, Schroeder and Tanev bring to the team and where the team needs improvements. Next summer the Canucks will also have massive amounts of cap space (especially if Booth flops again and this time is eligible for compliance buyout) when the cap goes up.
I am disappointed we didn't try to sign him. If we kept him, the cost to acquire him and the cap hit would have been manageable. My perception is the Canucks let him walk after a disappointing playoff series (to which EVERYONE is to blame).

Deadline acquisitions are great, the rental idea I don't care for. The major pieces we've gotten at the deadline are Alberts (parts of 5 seasons now), Lapierre (parts of 3?), Higgins (starting his 4th), Kassian (project rookie for project rookie...we have his rights for a few years, plus the 3 he will have played), Gragnani (fodder after he didn't adjust well) and Roy. I think Roy is the exception, not the rule.

And I have to disagree...I don't care about next season, I want a cup, I want a strong playoffs, I want to move past where we have been stuck the last two seasons. Screw the near future, I want to see this team do what we all know it's capable of. I want to see Luongo get a Vezina, I want to see Hamhuis, or Garrison, or Edler, or less likely, Bieksa, have a Norris calibre of season. I want Kesler back in Selke consideration. I want our Art Ross, Hart and Ted Lindsay winning top line forwards back in form, I want Hansen, and Kassian, and Tanev, and Schroeder, and any young players we've got to have break out seasons.

It's a lot to ask, and I'm not expecting it, but I really can't keep focus on a year from now. I went through withdrawal during both hockey strikes, and may have during the one in the 90s.

Vajakki, I hear you loud and clear, and I went off on a bit of a side rant, and if our boys falter, then we look forward, but until we're out of contention, I expect the best from my blue and kelly green wearing dopes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'd want us to make a deadline acquisition as well, but it seems like a lot of people here see giving up any sort of prospect/pick as "sacrificing the future"

Personally I think letting the Sedins, Luongo, etc play out the rest of their prime with a subpar roster, is a far worse case of sacrificing the now.
Until Horvat, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Gaunce and the rest of the gang actually surpass the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows and our current core, I can't just assume they will be better then what we have now, as highly as I think of them. I think there is middle ground here, that we can field the best roster possible without giving up our top rookies.

As I said above, deadline deals can work very well, but it's the rental idea I'd have a hard time with if we gave one of our solid prospects up.

As for Lu, everything I said in those Lu to Toronto threads I meant. I can see him playing at a high level until the end of his contract is a lot closer.

Old
08-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Registered Nurse

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
A number of sources did have us as a favourite, but honestly, with the way we were playing, the way we were winning, was cause for concern. The big hope, particularly after we took Chicago apart late in the season, had many of us hoping that we were capable of turning on the switch.

Turns out it was a false hope.
Quote:
I don't see much difference between these two posts.

Except of course one is a bit more negative than the other.

Old
08-23-2013, 02:45 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I don't see much difference between these two posts.

Except of course one is a bit more negative than the other.
And to be truthful, I was taking pretty hardy quaffs of the Kool Aid at the end of the season last year, and did not predict a disappointing finish.

I never predict disappointment, but I'm always willing to cope with it.

Old
08-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Virtanen2Horvat
BoHorvat53

vCash: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
I suspect he is waiting to evaluate what we have. Do we need a top six forward or can Booth shoulder the load? Same for Kassian. If both are doing well, we may not even need to look elsewhere. Fortunately, Cammalleri and Vanek are on the market. So we do have possibilities if things take a wrong turn for us.
I would go Cammelleri over Vanek because Vanek is just too expensive. But then Cammelleri with that 7M contract.

Old
08-23-2013, 03:12 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Right, and your "I told you so." attitude is not all that appreciated.

It's pretty easy to feel that a team is going to fail because most do but to say you are being a realist because a team that, even as a top 5 favorite, was given about a 10% chance of winning, didn't get lucky and actually win, just kind of makes you an ass.

Last edited by DJOpus: 08-23-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old
08-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksRollin View Post
I would go Cammelleri over Vanek because Vanek is just too expensive. But then Cammelleri with that 7M contract.
Ditto. And at the deadline teams typically have cap to spare. Hell, Booth could be on injury reserve.

If Calgary held some salary. I think we could make it work.

Old
08-23-2013, 03:52 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Given that 29/30 teams will suffer 'demise' every year, you're not getting a pat on the back for predicting that.

Cynicism isn't actually wisdom.
I didn't just say that we wouldn't win the Cup. I predicted an early exit. It was blatantly obvious. This team doesn't have the talent.

Old
08-23-2013, 03:54 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Right, and your "I told you so." attitude is not all that appreciated.

It's pretty easy to feel that a team is going to fail because most do but to say you are being a realist because a team that, even as a top 5 favorite, was given about a 10% chance of winning, didn't get lucky and actually win, just kind of makes you an ass.
What infuriates me is that these problems with the team are so blatantly obvious and have existed for years now, yet they aren't addressed.

This team as is, right now, won't make it out of the first round again either. And then in May I'll be saying I told you so again, and that part makes me angry. I want to see this team succeed, but I haven't liked this team or the moves this idiotic GM has made (or hasn't made) since the 2011 trade deadline.

Old
08-23-2013, 03:58 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Ditto. And at the deadline teams typically have cap to spare. Hell, Booth could be on injury reserve.

If Calgary held some salary. I think we could make it work.
Calgary ownership apparently thinks they can make the playoffs this year, at least according to an interview from April. IMO their best bet now is an Edmonton rebuild.

Cammalleri would be an excellent addition. At 50% salary perhaps it would cost a 1st round pick and a B prospect.

Old
08-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Vankiller Whale
Spread the love

vCash: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Until Horvat, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Gaunce and the rest of the gang actually surpass the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows and our current core, I can't just assume they will be better then what we have now, as highly as I think of them. I think there is middle ground here, that we can field the best roster possible without giving up our top rookies.

As I said above, deadline deals can work very well, but it's the rental idea I'd have a hard time with if we gave one of our solid prospects up.

As for Lu, everything I said in those Lu to Toronto threads I meant. I can see him playing at a high level until the end of his contract is a lot closer.
Oh absolutely, I wouldn't want to give up any of our solid prospects for someone we have no intention of re-signing.

I know some people were upset with the Roy trade, but all Gillis had to do was dump Booth and we could have re-signed Roy with cap space to spare, which would help make that trade look a lot better.

Old
08-23-2013, 04:49 PM
GrogZilla

Quote:
What infuriates me is that these problems with the team are so blatantly obvious and have existed for years now, yet they aren't addressed.

This team as is, right now, won't make it out of the first round again either. And then in May I'll be saying I told you so again, and that part makes me angry. I want to see this team succeed, but I haven't liked this team or the moves this idiotic GM has made (or hasn't made) since the 2011 trade deadline.
22 out of 30 teams don't make it past the first round.

There are probably 4 teams that would be widely considered safe bets to play at least 2 playoff rounds in Chicago, Boston, L.A. & Pittsburgh

So you are predicting the Canucks will be one of the 22 out of the 26 teams left, that won't make it past the first round.

Way to go out on a limb there with your predictions of doom.
You have like an 85% chance of being able to say I told you so.

Good for you.

Predicting failure is easy & pointless.

Old
08-23-2013, 04:57 PM
doobie604

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogZilla View Post
22 out of 30 teams don't make it past the first round.

There are probably 4 teams that would be widely considered safe bets to play at least 2 playoff rounds in Chicago, Boston, L.A. & Pittsburgh

So you are predicting the Canucks will be one of the 22 out of the 26 teams left, that won't make it past the first round.

Way to go out on a limb there with your predictions of doom.
You have like an 85% chance of being able to say I told you so.

Good for you.

Predicting failure is easy & pointless.
I wonder what his prediction was back in 2010 or 2011. I'm sure Sedin bashing and Lu praising will come up somewhere.

Old
08-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:
Calgary ownership apparently thinks they can make the playoffs this year, at least according to an interview from April. IMO their best bet now is an Edmonton rebuild.

Cammalleri would be an excellent addition. At 50% salary perhaps it would cost a 1st round pick and a B prospect.
By the deadline reality will likely have settled in and ruined the owner's hopes and dreams. Barring a miracle, an Edmonton rebuild may not be a choice so much as an inevitability for Calgary.

Aye. Fortunately, we have a slew of prospects now and could swing that price. Gillis also has a decent track record of retaining players we trade for. So if Cammalleri worked out. It might be for a longer term than a rental.

Old
08-23-2013, 05:37 PM
ddawg1950

We're back to Cammi again, Y2K?

Oh please, the guy's best before date was two years ago.

He's going to start to smell pretty soon now.

Old
08-23-2013, 06:38 PM
WonderTwinsUnite

I can't wait for Gillis patented bargain FA pickup. Who will get nervous close to training camp? Prospal, hopefully.

Old
08-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Castle1*

Quote:
Was it your crystal balls or weegie board that told you this? Or....are you the first real psychic?

Alot of opinions out there and a couple people are bound to be right. Obviously those who choose to say the Canucks will not win the cup are bound to be right much more often than those that choose to be optimistic because only 1 team out of 30 will win.

Wonder how many LA fans said the kings would win the cup the year they did? Not many I bet lmao

edit: oh you predict an early exit. How early? Not make the playoffs? Exit after 1st round? Call it Kreskin!!

2nd edit: now it is losing in the 1st round. I'll save this post to see if your 70% chance of being right comes true. Way to go out on a limb.

Last edited by Castle1*: 08-23-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old
08-23-2013, 07:24 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Given that every team that won the Cup lately had key deadline acquisitions, I wouldn't be that fine with it:

-Chicago last year paid the least (4th) but still acquired a key player in Handzus who played 2nd line centre for them winning key face-offs and playing good minutes both 5 on 5 and on the PK.

-LAK bought huge at the deadline in playoff leading goal scorer Jeff Carter for JJ + 1st.

-BOS spent through the nose giving up a good young player (Wheeler) mutiple 2nds + 1st + top prospect (Colborne) for Peverly, Kelly, and Kaberle at the deadline.

If the deadline is approaching and we need to acquire a piece (i.e. likely a scoring forward), I hope we do it...that being said, I'd rather we go for it now but there aren't many key players available.
Carter wasn't just a rental though.

Old
08-23-2013, 07:31 PM
doobie604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle1 View Post
Was it your crystal balls or weegie board that told you this? Or....are you the first real psychic?

Alot of opinions out there and a couple people are bound to be right. Obviously those who choose to say the Canucks will not win the cup are bound to be right much more often than those that choose to be optimistic because only 1 team out of 30 will win.

Wonder how many LA fans said the kings would win the cup the year they did? Not many I bet lmao

edit: oh you predict an early exit. How early? Not make the playoffs? Exit after 1st round? Call it Kreskin!!

2nd edit: now it is losing in the 1st round. I'll save this post to see if your 70% chance of being right comes true. Way to go out on a limb.
don't forget tight games or blowouts. oh and goalie issue or lack of scoring.

Closed Thread