HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part L

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2013, 04:09 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
We have never been a sandpaper team. Our entire mentality is built around skill and speed, similar in regards to Montreal. We will not compete physically with Boston or LA even if we signed Clarkson or had gotten Perry. It simply is not how the team plays. How we are successful is by not getting sucked into that style and taking advantages of its deficiencies. LA is a slow team, and Boston is not much faster. Chicago is exploitable after the rush - they leave themselves open. Want to beat Chicago? Let them gain the offensive zone and focus on the counter attack. Even Mr. Intangibles gets caught out of place from an opposition rush.

Every time has their weaknesses. The fact we had a successful record against all three teams the past two years suggests our talent alone is enough. We simply need to work on the post season. Torts will hopefully be up for the challenge.
Please someone go back in time to June 2011 and tell the coach this.

Old
08-24-2013, 04:12 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

How are the Caps looking now that they signed Grabo (yeah I'm kinda sad about it but oh well)? A trio of Backstrom, Grabo and Laich down the middle seems like a pretty strong group of centers.

Old
08-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I'm not totally against deadline deals. But too often teams make them out of some sense of obligation to show the fans that they are aeriously trying to win it all.

And the deadline is the one time of year when the cost of said players are far too high. Then, it is further complicated when the odd good player (or hidden gem) is snapped up early, leaving nothing but bread crumbs for teams to fight over.

Thus we had a situation where Roy was all that was left and the Canucks trying to make a deal to fill the huge hole on the second line...and we wasted a 2nd round pick.

Chicago made a good pick with Handzus...but he would not have made a difference for us. By the end of the season, we were playing terrible hocke and in no shape to contend for the Cup.
Pretty much this, there shouldn't be a blanket we should always or never make a deadline deal, it should be done on a case by case basis and the strength, or lack of it, compared to other teams should always be considered, it's not an all in every year, there are future seasons to think of.

Old
08-24-2013, 12:06 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
How are the Caps looking now that they signed Grabo (yeah I'm kinda sad about it but oh well)? A trio of Backstrom, Grabo and Laich down the middle seems like a pretty strong group of centers.
reminds me of when sj got heatley and they were supposed to kill the league. a team with a long history of underperforming when it counts adding another guy without any track record of showing up in the playoffs.

Old
08-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I'd love to have Brunner, but don't think he'd be signing for 2.5M. He might on the fact it's getting closer to Training Camp, but don't think he would ATM.
I like Brunner but is he a god fit here for the playoffs?

Old
08-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Burrows View Post
I'd go with

Sedin-Sedin-Brunner
Burrows-Kesler-Kassian
Booth-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Richardsson-Weise

But like PG mentioned it would dependent on play more than anything.
If Brunner came here I would switch him with Kassian, as he would play bigger with Kesler and burrows and the 2 lines would be better balanced IMO.

Also, I believe Bo is ready for 3rd line and PP duty and would fit nice with Hansen and Higgins.

Old
08-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Every team has their weaknesses. The fact we had a successful record against all three teams the past two years suggests our talent alone is enough. We simply need to work on the post season. Torts will hopefully be up for the challenge.
Hopefully Torts will be quicker to adapt when a "successful plan goes stale" or the other team "adjusts accordingly". One of the problems with AV - has great/solid initial plans but does little to change when the other coach takes countermeasures.

Old
08-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
As do I. The Kings got him at a fantastic price as well, JJ was moved to make room for Voynov who looks like the better player now.
Columbus also got LA's first rounder this year so it's a pretty balanced trade so far, as Marko Dano looks like a very good prospect.

Old
08-24-2013, 03:32 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Worth a shot, no? We need a top six forward.

Old
08-24-2013, 03:39 PM
dim jim
K2B

vCash: 50
Quote:
Columbus also got LA's first rounder this year so it's a pretty balanced trade so far, as Marko Dano looks like a very good prospect.
Meh I disagree, LA got a great two-way 40 goal scorer who can play wing or centre, those player are very, very rare. Considering what the Jackets gave for Carter just a couple months ago (Voracek and Couturier) I think it's safe to assume the Kings won that deal.

Old
08-24-2013, 03:42 PM
dim jim
K2B

Quote:
He led the Wings in playoff goals in his first ever playoffs, I think he'd do just fine.

Old
08-24-2013, 04:33 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Given that 29/30 teams will suffer 'demise' every year, you're not getting a pat on the back for predicting that.

Cynicism isn't actually wisdom.
is it just me or is it getting kind of emo in here?

Old
08-24-2013, 04:40 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
reminds me of when sj got heatley and they were supposed to kill the league. a team with a long history of underperforming when it counts adding another guy without any track record of showing up in the playoffs.
Perhaps, though it never hurts to add a good player - especially a center. Though tbqh I'm not even sure whether Laich will be playing in that 3rd line position, or whether it'll be Perreault or Johansson or somebody else.

Old
08-24-2013, 04:53 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Yup, and this is where I think Gillis targets another C via trade. The name that was mentioned on here before was Boyle from NYR. If there's no room for him there, then Gillis must make a play.

Cheaper options would be guys like Emmerton and Leblanc. Throwing enough Cs at the mix to get at least 1 good face off C in the bottom6.
I'd love to see us trying to poach Leblanc from the Habs. But what do we have that would entice them to swap him out, rather than give him a bit of a pass on an 'injured' year and hope he bounces back? I mean, of the pieces we could afford to give up for a bit of a 'reclamation project'...i don't see them having any interest in our assorted fringe guys. He might not have much more value in his play last year than an Archibald or Grenier or what have you, but his draft pedigree pretty much guarantees they'd want something more back i'd think, or just choose to hang on to him and ride it out. What else is there that they'd want?

Old
08-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
Worth a shot, no? We need a top six forward.
Yes he would be an upgrade to our top 6 but overall as a team are we gritty enough to have any player type like his in the playoffs?

Maybe with the changes to the bottom 6 we are, but that would also make Schroeder pretty much expendable as well.

Old
08-24-2013, 07:03 PM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Yes he would be an upgrade to our top 6 but overall as a team are we gritty enough to have any player type like his in the playoffs?

Maybe with the changes to the bottom 6 we are, but that would also make Schroeder pretty much expendable as well.
Why do we need to be gritty? Build a team similar to the one that got us closest to a Cup (2011). Beat teams with skill instead if intimidation, it's no like it hasn't been done before. Besides who cares, we need scoring no matter who gets it done and whether if they're gritty or not.

Old
08-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Betamax*

Quote:
Why do we need to be gritty? Build a team similar to the one that got us closest to a Cup (2011). Beat teams with skill instead if intimidation, it's no like it hasn't been done before. Besides who cares, we need scoring no matter who gets it done and whether if they're gritty or not.
Well, since Torts is apparently here for the long-term, I think the Canucks will want players that fit the type of playing style he likes to employ. Players with "bite." We have one with Burrows, I suspect if the Canucks had some cap space they may have took a chance on Grabovski.

Old
08-24-2013, 07:16 PM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax View Post
Well, since Torts is apparently here for the long-term, I think the Canucks will want players that fit the type of playing style he likes to employ. Players with "bite." We have one with Burrows, I suspect if the Canucks had some cap space they may have took a chance on Grabovski.
Going to be in tough if we try and change our whole roster to accommodate Torts wanting bite.

Old
08-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
Torts has mentioned that he thinks the Canucks were too easy to play against and it's something that I agree with.

Also one seldom hears the phrase skilled scoring player who is better in playoffs than regular season. Often more used for gritty types so maybe that's telling.

Old
08-24-2013, 08:26 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Going to be in tough if we try and change our whole roster to accommodate Torts wanting bite.
Burrows?

Old
08-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
He led the Wings in playoff goals in his first ever playoffs, I think he'd do just fine.
Sure and he was 9th in TOI for all Detroit forwards as well.

If it was just a case of him having the ability to be more productive with 3-4 MPG they might have resigned him but instead choose a much older Aflie over him so it's somewhat indicative of his overall value.

Old
08-24-2013, 08:46 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Burrows?
Torts would've loved Grabovski and his bite

Old
08-24-2013, 08:54 PM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Torts has mentioned that he thinks the Canucks were too easy to play against and it's something that I agree with.

Also one seldom hears the phrase skilled scoring player who is better in playoffs than regular season. Often more used for gritty types so maybe that's telling.
Well I'm not sure what's going to be different this year opposed to last year in regards to grit. I'm sure they would've been addressing this a lot better if they truly wanted more grit because what they've added is not helping.

Old
08-24-2013, 09:01 PM
dim jim
K2B

Quote:
Sure and he was 9th in TOI for all Detroit forwards as well.

If it was just a case of him having the ability to be more productive with 3-4 MPG they might have resigned him but instead choose a much older Aflie over him so it's somewhat indicative of his overall value.
How is than an argument against Brunner? He scored the most goals despite not playing top minutes.

You make it seem like the Wings didn't want to re-sign him, they did. Alfredsson is a motivated 50+ point player, don't even think the two players are comparable. Every team with playoff aspirations would prefer Alfy. That really has no effect on Brunner's value whatsoever.

Old
08-24-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
As do I. The Kings got him at a fantastic price as well, JJ was moved to make room for Voynov who looks like the better player now.
I believe we could have had him for Schneider + 1st...something I would have been happy to do but I'd say the majority of our board wouldn't have been willing to do.

Closed Thread