HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part L

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2013, 09:20 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

vCash: 500
So much counting on Kassian to be able to handle first line minutes, so much counting on Booth to be healthy, stay healthy, then produce after playing 12 games in 18 months, so much counting on Schroeder to establish himself as a legit NHL center. It's pretty scary. Really needed to add a top 6 winger.

Old
08-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I wouldn't. Kesler I think is forced to retire before Henrik.

(Though I think he still has a number of good years left)
Sucks, but I completely agree with that.

Old
08-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Why is Schroeder on the 3rd line such a bad thing. He was our 2nd line center for large chunks last year and we still cruised into the playoffs. Likely would have had an even better record over 82 games.

The roster is again 100% dependant on a healthy Kesler.
making the playoffs by 4 points is cruising?

we had great goaltending who knows how Lou's head will be or the backup situation if there is an injury.

there are also many more questions

-will the core rebound
-how will new divisional play affect them
- how will they react to torts
-can any rookies make a large impact

Old
08-26-2013, 09:54 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
making the playoffs by 4 points is cruising?

we had great goaltending who knows how Lou's head will be or the backup situation if there is an injury.

there are also many more questions

-will the core rebound
-how will new divisional play affect them
- how will they react to torts
-can any rookies make a large impact
It's going to be a huge shock to people when Lack doesn't play backup like Schneider or Luongo did. Also when our offense takes yet another step back because, well quite honestly it just isn't that talented, Kesler gets hurt again and the Sedins continue to regress. I wonder what Gillis's excuse will be this team? Another weird year because of the Olympic break?

08-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Sucks, but I completely agree with that.
I think it's more of a testament to the long shelf life I think the Sedins are going to have.

But who knows, before this rash of injuries Kesler only missed something like a 7 games in the prior 5 seasons. Maybe this injury streak proves to be an unusual outlier.

Old
08-27-2013, 12:22 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
It's going to be a huge shock to people when Lack doesn't play backup like Schneider or Luongo did. Also when our offense takes yet another step back because, well quite honestly it just isn't that talented, Kesler gets hurt again and the Sedins continue to regress. I wonder what Gillis's excuse will be this team? Another weird year because of the Olympic break?
Gillis won't need excuses. He traded a couple of his organizations most valuable assets for a project powerforward and a draft pick. Management is focusing on longterm, sustainable success. It's pretty obvious their goal isn't to put the best team possible on the ice. If it was, Schneider and Hodgson don't get moved for futures.

This teams offense will not take a step back. That much is obvious.

Old
08-27-2013, 12:40 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I wouldn't. Kesler I think is forced to retire before Henrik.

(Though I think he still has a number of good years left)
The way he plays at presant, I agree.

The big question, as he matures, is can he effectively play a different way?

He's not big enough for the power forward game and unless he learns to dial it back and play smarter, injuries are going to shorten his career.

Old
08-27-2013, 12:41 AM
arttk

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
[mod] I don't think anyone expects Lack to perform like Schneider.

Having Kesler for a full season will automatically make our offense better than last season. Now if Booth can recover his form as well.

We have to go youth eventually so this cap crunch year is actually a good time to do it. Find out what Schroeder, Kass, Tanev can do this season and if they show any progress, we can spend the money from the increase cap next year in a better way.

Last edited by PG Canuck: 08-27-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old
08-27-2013, 03:48 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
So much counting on Kassian to be able to handle first line minutes, so much counting on Booth to be healthy, stay healthy, then produce after playing 12 games in 18 months, so much counting on Schroeder to establish himself as a legit NHL center. It's pretty scary. Really needed to add a top 6 winger.
So assuming we're not allowed to count on highly touted first round picks to have developed or guys who were injured last year and didn't play well.

The only things we have are one of the best defensive cores in the league; a four time Vezina nominated goalie; three all-star forwards, two of whom recently won Art Ross trophies; two other forwards who have scored at a 25 goal, 50 point pace (Higgins, Burrows - Booth has as well but we're not allowed to count him because he was injured last year); and another forward who has scored at a 17 goal, 45 point pace before.

I'd like us to add a winger too but let's not pretend that the sky is falling. I'd actually suggest that Schroeder at 3C and Richardson at 4C are bigger concerns than Kassian's ability to get carried by the Sedins (if we decide to spread the scoring out) but overall we look like a good contender to win the West.

Old
08-27-2013, 06:09 AM
King of the ES*

Quote:
And Lu wasn't even the "great goaltending", either, that was Schneider.

Old
08-27-2013, 06:29 AM
turkulad

I'm seeing the amount of cash Henrique got and Boedker's RFA negotiations still going on. Enter dream world GM mode.

Phoenix receives: Purcell, J.T. Brown
Phoenix loses: Klesla, Boedker's rights (pending a resign)

Vancouver receives: Klesla, Boedker's rights
Vancouver loses: Bieksa, 2nd

Tampa Bay gets: Bieksa, 2nd
Tampa Bay loses: Purcell, J.T. Brown

TB gets their premium Top4 D while losing Purcell (Malone doesn't have as much interest) but not really suffering too much as their depth of young forwards is insane.

Phoenix gets a Top forward in Purcell and a good forward prospect that gets lost in TB's depth. Loses Klesla who they have been trying to get rid of in the first place in exchange for a great forward and Boedker, who they might have a trouble signing. Purcell is more proven for them and has a fresh 3-year-contract he's committed to.

Vancouver gets Boedker's rights and as a part of trade would be able to negotiate a multi-year deal for suitable dollars (Henrique-like 4 millions) and Klesla, a cheaper alternative for Bieksa, who they lose along with a fourth. Bieksa would have to waive but with his entry to TB, that team is becoming scary good. Tanev finally has a change to take charge, and Corrado is the first call-up.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Boedker-Kesler-Burrows
Booth-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Richardson-Weise
Sestito/Santorelli

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Tanev
Klesla - Alberts/Weber
Weber/Alberts

It fits. Kbai.

Old
08-27-2013, 08:11 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
And Lu wasn't even the "great goaltending", either, that was Schneider.
Both guys had great stretches. Lou outside of a couple of weird games had a very good season.

I think Cory is better but the difference isn't that great....yet or it wasn't last year.

Old
08-27-2013, 08:53 AM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkulad View Post
I'm seeing the amount of cash Henrique got and Boedker's RFA negotiations still going on. Enter dream world GM mode.

Phoenix receives: Purcell, J.T. Brown
Phoenix loses: Klesla, Boedker's rights (pending a resign)

Vancouver receives: Klesla, Boedker's rights
Vancouver loses: Bieksa, 2nd

Tampa Bay gets: Bieksa, 2nd
Tampa Bay loses: Purcell, J.T. Brown
For the Canucks, I don't like it. Klesla's basically a career loser, and Boedker really hasn't proven much at the NHL level, you're basically signing him to a $4M per deal based mostly on potential. He's now 24 years old, and his most productive season was his rookie one, meaning that he's regressed, which is never a good sign. You could say that his most productive season was this past one, of course, but the concern with that is that he only played in 48 games.

Boedker, to me, has a pretty similar story to Brule, who we could've (and should've) signed for practically nothing.

Old
08-27-2013, 08:56 AM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Both guys had great stretches. Lou outside of a couple of weird games had a very good season.

I think Cory is better but the difference isn't that great....yet or it wasn't last year.
The weird games count as much as the normal ones. At the end of the day, Lu was statistically a well below-average goaltender this past season.

Old
08-27-2013, 08:57 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Klesla's basically a career loser,
= European guy who signed one UFA deal with Columbus

Old
08-27-2013, 09:02 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
The weird games count as much as the normal ones. At the end of the day, Lu was statistically a well below-average goaltender this past season.
They sure do.

I mean, it makes your ability to measure a player's ability using statistics demonstrably worse, but in the world where your ridiculous tautologies are valid, they sure do.

(Point being, and I've pointed this out before - if you exclude two of Luongo's worst games made more disastrous by obviously bizarre coaching decisions, then exclude two of Schneider's games just because they are his worst and we're trying to be fair here, the gap between the two players stats becomes much narrower. What it really says a lot about is the folly of using tiny samples which is particularly true of Luongo - if you're going to draw conclusions from his 20 games you might as well attempt the same with David Booth's 12 and start assuming he's going to score like a 4th liner the rest of his career.)

Old
08-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
So assuming we're not allowed to count on highly touted first round picks to have developed or guys who were injured last year and didn't play well.

The only things we have are one of the best defensive cores in the league; a four time Vezina nominated goalie; three all-star forwards, two of whom recently won Art Ross trophies; two other forwards who have scored at a 25 goal, 50 point pace (Higgins, Burrows - Booth has as well but we're not allowed to count him because he was injured last year); and another forward who has scored at a 17 goal, 45 point pace before.

I'd like us to add a winger too but let's not pretend that the sky is falling. I'd actually suggest that Schroeder at 3C and Richardson at 4C are bigger concerns than Kassian's ability to get carried by the Sedins (if we decide to spread the scoring out) but overall we look like a good contender to win the West.
Let's also not pretend that the players you are talking about above were that way last year or are likely to be so this year either.

It would be more honest to talk about how players did last year and some context with the age of the core as well, not some past glory which doesn't carry over to this season.

No one had a Dats or Zetts like season last year for the Canucks, if they do this year it will go along way to help this team but who are the likely candidates for that?

Old
08-27-2013, 09:18 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Approaching 1000 posts.

Closed.

Closed Thread