HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

National team coaches

Old
02-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Signature
Capitano Giordano

vCash: 50
National team coaches

Here's a question:

In many Olympic sports, even team ones, it's common to bring in a coach from another country especially when they are more qualified and experienced and have coached winning athletes in their respective disciplines.

However, I personally don't recall a hockey team EVER doing this. Coaching staff seems to ALWAYS be from the country of origin for the national team. Why is this done?

I'm asking because it feels like for certain teams (Switzerland or Czech or Finnish come to mind) I would think that a lot of these teams have good pieces and all it might take to elevate them to the next level is the right coaching staff, comprised from different nationalities (AKA NHL style.)

Is there a rule I am unaware of in ice hockey that would explain this procedure, or is it just rooted in tradition and expectations?

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 233
Austria, Latvia, and Switzerland each have Canadian head coaches, with Emanuel Viveiros, Ted Nolan, and Sean Simpson respectively.

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Signature
Capitano Giordano

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Austria, Latvia, and Switzerland each have Canadian head coaches, with Emanuel Viveiros, Ted Nolan, and Sean Simpson respectively.
Welp, good thing you're a mod too. Thanks for answering my question. Thread can be succinctly closed.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 02:23 PM
WinTheRightGames

vCash: 500
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland...f_head_coaches

WinTheRightGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 02:28 PM
tmlmatus

Slovaks have a czech coach and he's been great for us.

tmlmatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Raimo Sillanpää

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature View Post
Here's a question:

In many Olympic sports, even team ones, it's common to bring in a coach from another country especially when they are more qualified and experienced and have coached winning athletes in their respective disciplines.

However, I personally don't recall a hockey team EVER doing this. Coaching staff seems to ALWAYS be from the country of origin for the national team. Why is this done?

I'm asking because it feels like for certain teams (Switzerland or Czech or Finnish come to mind) I would think that a lot of these teams have good pieces and all it might take to elevate them to the next level is the right coaching staff, comprised from different nationalities (AKA NHL style.)

Is there a rule I am unaware of in ice hockey that would explain this procedure, or is it just rooted in tradition and expectations?
Doug Shedden was Finnish head coach for 1 year (1 year contract)
Curt Lindstöm was Finnish head coach for several years in the 90's

I'd actually argue that coaches in Finland are better than foreign choices, the level of tactical discussion about hockey here is imo further developed than for example in the NHL.

Raimo Sillanpää is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 03:04 PM
MessierII

Ralph Krueger who's from Winnipeg coached the Swiss team for years.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Urbanskog
Platinum Member

The head coach of Germany is Canadian and the head coach of Estonia is Lithuanian. I also think that the UAE had a Finnish head coach at some point.

There are numerous cases.

Urbanskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 03:58 PM
ES

Quote:
Viveiros and Simpson have actually long history in the countries they coach now.

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Riddum

Quote:
I remember some Ovi fan boy suggesting Boudreau for coach of the Russian Team (when it was all roses with BB and they blamed the loss on Bykov).

While BB [at the height of his relationship with Ovi] would have been a terrific choice, the Russians are way too proud to have a non-Russia coach, ESPECIALLY a Canadian lol, coach their team.

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Uncle Rotter

Better to list the countires that have not had a foreign coach:
Canada
USSR/Russia
Czech Republic

Uncle Rotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 08:19 PM
johan f

Swedish national team has been headcoached by Ed Reigle from 1957-60 and Billy Harris 1971/72

Assistant coaches: Barry Smith 1996 WC and Olympics 1998, Des Moroney 1971

Sweden has a long tradition of well-educated coaches and trainers. It's actually strange some of them never got hired by NHL teams. The best and those considered pioneers for tactics/pedagogics were active when NHL still only hired NA-coaches.

That we today find ex-players behind the bench as assistants (Ulfie and C Johansson) is a bit strange since they hardly are really coaches.

johan f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 10:05 PM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature View Post
Different nationalities aka Americans and Canadians (read: not much cultural differences). European born assistant coaches are very rare not to mention head coaches which can be counted (modern times) with one finger.

I don't understand why did you bring up Finland as a example... we have lots of pieces missing but coaching is typically definitely not one of the missing pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää View Post
Doug Shedden was Finnish head coach for 1 year (1 year contract)
What an atrocious choice it was and most likely was not made on coaching merits only...

wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Doshell Propivo

Herb Brooks coached France.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote