HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Jerseys

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2013, 01:19 PM
slaider

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkychewbarky View Post
Here's exactly how the Coat of arms appears on the 2014 sweater...

This picture is bad, I need a coat of arms is not sideways, and the normal picture!

Old
12-20-2013, 01:26 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
They finally posted a better look at the LV whites:

Quite nice in my opinion.

Old
12-20-2013, 01:33 PM
saskriders
Can't Hold Leads

vCash: 750
I like Latvia's. Easily the best in my opinion. The only bad thing is the fake laces

Old
12-20-2013, 01:48 PM
MrJonas
Ekblades of Steel

What's mind-numbingly stupid about fake laces is that laces on hockey jerseys are only ornamental to start with, so what we have is an ornament imitating an ornament. Wut

Old
12-20-2013, 02:07 PM
651*

The Nike Swoosh is the biggest atrocity IMO. How they can be the biggest profiteers on this event to begin with is offensive in and of itself.

Old
12-20-2013, 02:11 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
The jerseys are great. Hockey fans complain about anything.

Old
12-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Looking at other countries, these sure ain't the worst, but yeah, a downgrade from previous version.
Actually, strike that, they only looked slightly ugly in that first pic. The sweaters themselves don't look as good as before with all that shiny stuff on it (still OK - 7/10), but looking at the entire uniform together and from a distance - they actually do look pretty cool. I especially like what they've done with the socks there, with the black part going down from the pants area. A nice, clean look. Neato.

Same for the white jerseys. Does anyone have a picture of a full away uniform somewhere?

Old
12-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Bobby G
Weber's Better

vCash: 75
sparky >> nike

Old
12-20-2013, 05:30 PM
v-man

I find it hilarious and pathetic at the same time that people can come up with ridiculous reasons to complain about a small corporate logo on a product said company produces. I guess NBC shouldn't be able to show their peacock either, CBC should refrain from any use of the exploding pizza logo during the Olympics. How dare these companies take credit for something they spend time and money on to manufacture.

Old
12-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Brady Skjei

Does anyone know when/if replicas of the Latvian jerseys will be on sale?

Old
12-20-2013, 10:20 PM
MightyMallard

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorangers19 View Post
I too would like to know this haha. Love Latvia. Ever since the WJC's in Calgary.

Old
12-20-2013, 10:28 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorangers19 View Post
I read elsewhere today that apparently only the Canadian, US, Russian, Finnish and Swedish jerseys will be available, but I'm not sure what the source of that info is. I hope it's wrong, but the Swiss are already selling non Nike replicas of their new jerseys, so it might be true. If that's the case, I doubt the Latvian Hockey Federation would do the same, at least in time for the Olympics, since they released a custom line of jerseys last year, which they use in exhibition matches, and wouldn't want to over saturate the market.

Old
12-20-2013, 10:35 PM
KevinBXA
Professional Caveman

Serious question, what is wrong with these?

Why do we need new jerseys every 4 years?

Old
12-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Lord Moriarty007
Lets go Avs & Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CwackBruins View Post

The 2010 Olympics ones could also work.

Old
12-20-2013, 10:54 PM
v-man

Quote:

Well, to begin with, the collar is ugly, it's boring and it has the Hockey Canada Logo, so it can't be used. It's also nearly a direct rip off of the 1968 Danish jersey, so some originality would be nice. Four years is an eternity in sportswear, it's hardly a short period of time relatively speaking. Soccer kits change nearly annually. Then of course there is the need for both Nike and Hockey Canada to make money, so that they can afford to entertain you. It's hard to do that when everyone has their 8 year old identical jersey hanging in the closet. No one would be complaining if Nike came up with something competent, unfortunately, they gave their worst effort to their biggest customers.

Last edited by v-man: 12-20-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old
12-20-2013, 10:56 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 560
Quote:

My guess is that it's an identity thing - teams want a new identity every four years to shake off the results of the last one and put it behind them.

Old
12-20-2013, 11:16 PM
KevinBXA
Professional Caveman

Quote:
Well, to begin with, the collar is ugly, it's boring and it has the Hockey Canada Logo, so it can't be used. It's also nearly a direct rip off of the 1968 Danish jersey, so some originality would be nice. Four years is an eternity in sportswear, it's hardly a short period of time relatively speaking. Soccer kits change nearly annually. Then of course there is the need for both Nike and Hockey Canada to make money, so that they can afford to entertain you. It's hard to do that when everyone has their 8 year old identical jersey hanging in the closet. No one would be complaining if Nike came up with something competent, unfortunately, they gave their worst effort to their biggest customers.

I know the main reason they change every four years is to make money, and also cause they can. I guess I'm just disappointed in this years effort from Nike. one of my favourite things about the world juniors is there is very little variation in everyone's main jerseys year to year.

I'm also quite concerned about how most new jerseys these days are received by the fans. It seems from reading these boards relatively frequently that most new uniforms are disliked by the majority of fans. nothing bothers me more than a poorly designed new jersey and lots of excellent mockups from the community.

Old
12-20-2013, 11:28 PM
v-man

Quote:
I know the main reason they change every four years is to make money, and also cause they can. I guess I'm just disappointed in this years effort from Nike. one of my favourite things about the world juniors is there is very little variation in everyone's main jerseys year to year.

I'm also quite concerned about how most new jerseys these days are received by the fans. It seems from reading these boards relatively frequently that most new uniforms are disliked by the majority of fans. nothing bothers me more than a poorly designed new jersey and lots of excellent mockups from the community.
The juniors use exactly the same jerseys as the mens teams, on the same four year cycle. The only ones that are slightly different in Olympic years are the US, Finnish and Canadian jerseys, since they can't use their federation logos, but in those cases so far, all that has changed is the logo - the rest of jersey is the exact same once the Olympics are done.

I agree, there are a lot of superior mock-ups out there. Back when the federations decided on their own manufacturers we could have more diversity in the designs, unfortunately all this new jersey "technology" requires the use of templates, meaning we're going to keep getting similar, unspectacular stuff for the foreseeable future, no matter who has the contract. Hockey isn't as enticing or profitable as soccer, where the sales figures allow for each team to basically have something unique.

Last edited by v-man: 12-20-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old
12-20-2013, 11:37 PM
IIHFjerseycollector

Send a message via AIM to IIHFjerseycollector
Quote:
I read elsewhere today that apparently only the Canadian, US, Russian, Finnish and Swedish jerseys will be available, but I'm not sure what the source of that info is. I hope it's wrong, but the Swiss are already selling non Nike replicas of their new jerseys, so it might be true. If that's the case, I doubt the Latvian Hockey Federation would do the same, at least in time for the Olympics, since they released a custom line of jerseys last year, which they use in exhibition matches, and wouldn't want to over saturate the market.

there are czech and slovak official nike jerseys for sale now on ebay too. Id imagine theres going to be a small run of some of these teams but for sale only in the home country . just a guess though... I miss 1998 when nike made authentics available.....

Old
12-20-2013, 11:44 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIHFjerseycollector View Post
there are czech and slovak official nike jerseys for sale now on ebay too. Id imagine theres going to be a small run of some of these teams but for sale only in the home country . just a guess though... I miss 1998 when nike made authentics available.....
Good to hear. If they're at least making them then there's hope that they might become available here too. I know Norway had an extremely limited run last time, but at least they were made. I've been told by Toronto shop keepers in the past that Nike doesn't make it easy for them to carry all of the teams, since they have to blindly place orders well ahead of time, or they get shut-out. I can see how they'd be out a lot of money right now judging by the general response to these jerseys.

Old
12-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
If the US jerseys weren't so terrible I'd want one... should have never cancelled that 2010 Staz one I ordered. The things look like they were designed by a team of 10 year old girls with the sparkly stars and shiny fake laces.

Old
12-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
The Nike Swoosh is the biggest atrocity IMO. How they can be the biggest profiteers on this event to begin with is offensive in and of itself.
I think you'd be shocked at how little Nike actually makes on international jerseys. Their association with hockey is basically for prestige and not profit.

Old
12-21-2013, 06:26 AM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I think you'd be shocked at how little Nike actually makes on international jerseys. Their association with hockey is basically for prestige and not profit.
Their name (the swoosh) is entirely profit.

Old
12-21-2013, 09:06 AM
sparkychewbarky

Quote:
I agree, there are a lot of superior mock-ups out there. Back when the federations decided on their own manufacturers we could have more diversity in the designs, unfortunately all this new jersey "technology" requires the use of templates, meaning we're going to keep getting similar, unspectacular stuff for the foreseeable future, no matter who has the contract. Hockey isn't as enticing or profitable as soccer, where the sales figures allow for each team to basically have something unique.
I agree with you v-man, that each country looking after its own identity and using its own producer would offer a more diverse, interesting selection.
However, a one-stop shop like Nike, using a generic template, can still come up with a more appealing line of designs that reflect the traditions and wishes of the competing nations, than Nike has come up with for 2014.
Nike with its heavy-handed insistence on using its tacky gimmicks and "ouside-of-the-box" looks, has definitely pissed-off the puck-head population.
As far as others coming up with "superior mock-ups"...
It wasn't hard.

Old
12-21-2013, 10:46 AM
QnebO
Wheel, snipe, celly

Quote:

1. It's not boring when they change them. I think it's good thing but that's matter of opinion..

2. It's easier to sell fan jerseys. If they are always the same.. you guess the rest

Closed Thread