Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013-14 WHL Predictions

Old
08-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Tiger Trauma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Nice summary. I think you may be over-rating the Hurricanes, and under-rating the Wheaties. I dont think the Tigers will be as strong as you have them here either. Will be interesting to see Estephan this year. I think he could be pretty good right off the hop.

Most over-rated player in the WHL?

Lethbridge is still youngish on the back-end, they gave up a lot of goals last year with a very good goaltender. I think their new coach who was an NHL defenseman and their young core a year older can help with that. They were soo streaky offensively. They could easily score in bunches but sometimes went bone-dry, being a year older could help with that.

Brandon I didn't see a whole lot of, but historically their more like the Tigers with an offensive flair, and their coach last year was defensively minded. I do like that they have 9 guys who scored 10+ goals back....you know I think your right that I am underestimating them here. I think their still young, almost like lethbridge but a year behind them, but I could definitely see them competing for the last couple playoff seeds depending on how their team matures this season.

Shinkaruk has some areas of his game he needs to improve upon if he wants to be a pro, but I wouldn't say he is over-rated.

Tiger Trauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 12:03 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Trauma View Post
Lethbridge is still youngish on the back-end, they gave up a lot of goals last year with a very good goaltender. I think their new coach who was an NHL defenseman and their young core a year older can help with that. They were soo streaky offensively. They could easily score in bunches but sometimes went bone-dry, being a year older could help with that.

Brandon I didn't see a whole lot of, but historically their more like the Tigers with an offensive flair, and their coach last year was defensively minded. I do like that they have 9 guys who scored 10+ goals back....you know I think your right that I am underestimating them here. I think their still young, almost like lethbridge but a year behind them, but I could definitely see them competing for the last couple playoff seeds depending on how their team matures this season.

Shinkaruk has some areas of his game he needs to improve upon if he wants to be a pro, but I wouldn't say he is over-rated.
That's the Canuck Effect, just ignore it.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:05 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
I don't know why everyone is so high on the Ice. Yes, they've got some good top end talent in guys like Reinhart, Descheneau, with a good goalie in Skapski. But, they're still a young team with many of their F's still really needing to prove they can take that next step (Philp, Shirley, Martin, etc). I think they'll be good enough to be a very solid 4-6 seed, but first in the conference or even their division? Really? I don't see it.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:06 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

One thing has become clear to me over the past few weeks and that's that the Eastern Conference is extremely strong this year. I honestly think that a very good case could be made for 11 of the 12 teams to be in the playoffs quite easily.

Old
08-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Tiger Trauma

I think their is no real clear cut #1 pre-season, and that will make things interesting.

I thought a lot about Kootenay at #1 and I think we could see them start out of the gate slowly. it didn't make sense to me last year that they went on such a tear with the young lineup they had.

If import Arturri Lehkonen comes over they will have another deadly offensive threat. I am wondering how big of a loss Joey Leach will be, and if someone else can step into his shoes. The other import (russian defenceman) they grabbed played in the ushl last year, and was ranked by central scouting but not selected. I may be overestimating them, but Kootenay and the Tigers seem tied together in the standings every year.

Tiger Trauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:10 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Trauma View Post
I think their is no real clear cut #1 pre-season, and that will make things interesting.

I thought a lot about Kootenay at #1 and I think we could see them start out of the gate slowly. it didn't make sense to me last year that they went on such a tear with the young lineup they had.

If import Arturri Lehkonen comes over they will have another deadly offensive threat. I am wondering how big of a loss Joey Leach will be, and if someone else can step into his shoes. The other import (russian defenceman) they grabbed played in the ushl last year, and was ranked by central scouting but not selected. I may be overestimating them, but Kootenay and the Tigers seem tied together in the standings every year.
I doubt Lehkonen comes over. If he did, that obviously changes a lot of things, just because he's such a talented scorer. If he doesn't, I really don't see the Ice taking a big enough step to contend in the East.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:58 AM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I don't know why everyone is so high on the Ice. Yes, they've got some good top end talent in guys like Reinhart, Descheneau, with a good goalie in Skapski. But, they're still a young team with many of their F's still really needing to prove they can take that next step (Philp, Shirley, Martin, etc). I think they'll be good enough to be a very solid 4-6 seed, but first in the conference or even their division? Really? I don't see it.
They were a competitive/good team last year. And outside of Leach theyve literally lost nobody. They also have one of the best coach's in the WHL.

They will be very good.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:53 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
They were a competitive/good team last year. And outside of Leach theyve literally lost nobody. They also have one of the best coach's in the WHL.

They will be very good.
I agree they'll be very good, but they're still young and the entire conference is looking pretty tough. I just don't think they're quite good enough to get talked about as a top 2 seed in the conference or as a division winner.

Old
08-16-2013, 03:42 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

Quote:
I agree they'll be very good, but they're still young and the entire conference is looking pretty tough. I just don't think they're quite good enough to get talked about as a top 2 seed in the conference or as a division winner.
Im not sure any team is tbh. PA should be strong, but it is pretty wide open this year. Kootenay was stronger than MH was in the playoffs last year. They pushed the Oil Kings harder. Both Edmonton and Calgary have lost a ton of guys and look to be much different/weaker teams this season. If Reinhart returns to Edmonton, it will be a big help for them, otherwise their defense is HIGHLY suspect. Corbett would probably be their best dman, and he has always been an adventure defensively. Sautner is junk. Mayo has promise but is still young. Shmoorkoff is a bottom pairing guy, and Irving and Carrol are borderline WHL players at best.

Edmonton has huge holes on the back end. That cant be overstated.

Old
08-16-2013, 05:32 PM
edmontonfan59

Quote:
Im not sure any team is tbh. PA should be strong, but it is pretty wide open this year. Kootenay was stronger than MH was in the playoffs last year. They pushed the Oil Kings harder. Both Edmonton and Calgary have lost a ton of guys and look to be much different/weaker teams this season. If Reinhart returns to Edmonton, it will be a big help for them, otherwise their defense is HIGHLY suspect. Corbett would probably be their best dman, and he has always been an adventure defensively. Sautner is junk. Mayo has promise but is still young. Shmoorkoff is a bottom pairing guy, and Irving and Carrol are borderline WHL players at best.

Edmonton has huge holes on the back end. That cant be overstated.
Bob Green and Derek Laxdal have said they like the backend so they must see something you don't.

edmontonfan59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 01:26 AM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonfan59 View Post
Bob Green and Derek Laxdal have said they like the backend so they must see something you don't.
What do you expect them to say? The back end has huge holes? The guys we have suck?

Bob Green doesnt even work for the Oil Kings anymore.

Old
08-18-2013, 04:04 AM
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!

vCash: 814
Quote:
Nice summary. I think you may be over-rating the Hurricanes, and under-rating the Wheaties. I dont think the Tigers will be as strong as you have them here either. Will be interesting to see Estephan this year. I think he could be pretty good right off the hop.

Most over-rated player in the WHL?

Only carried the Tigers on his back to the 2nd round of the playoffs last year.

Overrated my ***.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 04:06 AM
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!

I'm hoping for Victoria to finish 5th or 6th next season, if the Royals core of Magee, Hodges and Nelson contribute consistently, the supporting cast of Cote, Hicketts, Walker and Soy will compliment them well and really make this team a contender down the stretch.

Old
08-18-2013, 07:10 AM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Only carried the Tigers on his back to the 2nd round of the playoffs last year.

Overrated my ***.
This is what Im talking about. He did **** all in the series against Edmonton. The one where they got swept in four games. So he carried them to beating a team that hasnt won a playoff game in four years. Big deal. He reminds me of Sam Gagner. Easily pushed off the puck and neutralized.

Old
08-18-2013, 08:04 PM
phillipsj89

Quote:
This is what Im talking about. He did **** all in the series against Edmonton. The one where they got swept in four games. So he carried them to beating a team that hasnt won a playoff game in four years. Big deal. He reminds me of Sam Gagner. Easily pushed off the puck and neutralized.
um, no

phillipsj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 10:05 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Who else were the Oil Kings keying on?

You could make a case for his abilities not translating to the next level, but overrated? Especially at the WHL level is a hilarious notion.

Just incase you missed it your oil kings were defending league champs with a loaded roster. Tigers were a one line team.

Don't recall any similar sentiments out of your regarding Shinkaruk pre draft, that's why I have to assume this is the Oiler fan in you hating on all things Canuck.

I don't care to debate it further, just tired of prospect hate based on which team drafted said prospect.

Lets allow HF to be better than that.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 03:42 AM
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!

Quote:
who else did the Oil Kings' defense have to worry about? The Tigers have nobody besides Shinkaruk, he was the only one the Kings kept their eyes on, not to mention comparing the Tigers to the Oil Kings last season is a totally unfair.

Put Shinkaruk on the Oil Kings he would be their top scorer, no doubt about it.

In fact, with a guy like Lazar dishing the rock to him, I could see him hitting 50 goals, 100 points.

Old
08-19-2013, 08:24 AM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Who else were the Oil Kings keying on?

You could make a case for his abilities not translating to the next level, but overrated? Especially at the WHL level is a hilarious notion.

Just incase you missed it your oil kings were defending league champs with a loaded roster. Tigers were a one line team.

Don't recall any similar sentiments out of your regarding Shinkaruk pre draft, that's why I have to assume this is the Oiler fan in you hating on all things Canuck.

I don't care to debate it further, just tired of prospect hate based on which team drafted said prospect.

Lets allow HF to be better than that.
That's complete and utter nonsense. Ive been watching and wondering what the hype is about with this kid for the last two seasons. I see him play quite a bit due to his team being in our division. He is weak on the puck. Easily neutralized. I see a lot of people ranking him in the top ten for the past draft and I know it is because they are doing so because of his stat line, not from watching him play.

If he cant get stronger on the puck and not be so easily pushed around, he will be lucky to score 50pts in the nhl. Ever.

The really funny thing is having a bunch of WC guys tell me I dont know what Im talking about in regards to a player I see play in the same division as the team I watch regularly.

I actually like the Tigers. I enjoy Bob Ridley calling their games. The guy is a national treasure. I dont care one bit that the Canucks drafted him. I do find it amusing how many Canuck fans are all of a sudden Hunter Shinkaruk experts though. That is lol worthy.

To me Curtis Valk was always more dangerous and more effective against the Oil Kings than Shinkaruk ever was. And he is considerably smaller than Hunter. The Tigers have a pretty good team actually. Lots of depth there. Their question may be goaltending this season. If that is solid they should do well. Boston Leier is a player who has impressed me as well.

Old
08-20-2013, 04:24 AM
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!

Quote:
That's complete and utter nonsense. Ive been watching and wondering what the hype is about with this kid for the last two seasons. I see him play quite a bit due to his team being in our division. He is weak on the puck. Easily neutralized. I see a lot of people ranking him in the top ten for the past draft and I know it is because they are doing so because of his stat line, not from watching him play.

If he cant get stronger on the puck and not be so easily pushed around, he will be lucky to score 50pts in the nhl. Ever.

The really funny thing is having a bunch of WC guys tell me I dont know what Im talking about in regards to a player I see play in the same division as the team I watch regularly.

I actually like the Tigers. I enjoy Bob Ridley calling their games. The guy is a national treasure. I dont care one bit that the Canucks drafted him. I do find it amusing how many Canuck fans are all of a sudden Hunter Shinkaruk experts though. That is lol worthy.

To me Curtis Valk was always more dangerous and more effective against the Oil Kings than Shinkaruk ever was. And he is considerably smaller than Hunter. The Tigers have a pretty good team actually. Lots of depth there. Their question may be goaltending this season. If that is solid they should do well. Boston Leier is a player who has impressed me as well.
I'll hold you to that one.

Old
08-21-2013, 11:52 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
who else did the Oil Kings' defense have to worry about? The Tigers have nobody besides Shinkaruk, he was the only one the Kings kept their eyes on, not to mention comparing the Tigers to the Oil Kings last season is a totally unfair.

Put Shinkaruk on the Oil Kings he would be their top scorer, no doubt about it.

In fact, with a guy like Lazar dishing the rock to him, I could see him hitting 50 goals, 100 points.
Not to chime in during the middle of an argument, but I wouldn't go that far.

I actually like the Tigers depth up front. Valk had 91 points last year and will likely at least match that as a 20 year old this year. He's been called the player with the best hands in the league by actual WHL guys I've spoken to. Miles Koules had a 40 point rookie season and is likely set to post at least 60 or 70 this year while potentially on the wing with Shinkaruk and Valk. Guys like Leier, Bredo, Cox, McVeigh all fill a role as decent 2nd line guys. Deeper in their lineup you have youngsters like Sanford, Butcher, Broadhead, Owre, Labelle and Penner who all showed pretty well last year.

If the Tigers get good goaltending from Langhamer and some of their D help in moving the puck, they should easily be a playoff team who can score goals as good as many in their conference.

Old
08-21-2013, 12:10 PM
phillipsj89

Quote:

I'm sorry. There are just too many examples of you being wrong. I may get around to posting all the videos proving it, but I can't right now. Just Youtube his name and you'll see tons of examples of him driving to the net using his somewhat small stature.

Old
08-21-2013, 08:40 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Not to chime in during the middle of an argument, but I wouldn't go that far.

I actually like the Tigers depth up front. Valk had 91 points last year and will likely at least match that as a 20 year old this year. He's been called the player with the best hands in the league by actual WHL guys I've spoken to. Miles Koules had a 40 point rookie season and is likely set to post at least 60 or 70 this year while potentially on the wing with Shinkaruk and Valk. Guys like Leier, Bredo, Cox, McVeigh all fill a role as decent 2nd line guys. Deeper in their lineup you have youngsters like Sanford, Butcher, Broadhead, Owre, Labelle and Penner who all showed pretty well last year.

If the Tigers get good goaltending from Langhamer and some of their D help in moving the puck, they should easily be a playoff team who can score goals as good as many in their conference.
WHL guys = WHL players? Wasn't clear.

Nobody on the Tigers last year was keyed on more than Shinkarukast year.

Nobody outside the 1st line scored 20 goals. The top line was clearly the heartbeat of the team and he catalyst for almost all their offense.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:12 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsj89 View Post
I'm sorry. There are just too many examples of you being wrong. I may get around to posting all the videos proving it, but I can't right now. Just Youtube his name and you'll see tons of examples of him driving to the net using his somewhat small stature.
Quote:

Nobody outside the 1st line scored 20 goals. The top line was clearly the heartbeat of the team and he catalyst for almost all their offense.
Now weve got two WC guys telling two EC conference guys what's what with the EC.

Unbelieveable. Well, not really.

Cmon man, give it a rest. Shinkaruk is not all that. You'll see for yourself soon enough when he is playing in the Canucks system. Or maybe not. Either way I dont really care.

And Phillips, I dont have to watch youtube, I go to the ****ing live games.

You go ahead and watch youtube. See if anyone posted video of him being completely neutralized for multiple games, then get back to me.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:56 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:

What does it matter that nobody outside the 1st line scored 20 goals? All those guys that didn't score 20 goals are returning this year and I'm expecting good growth offensively from many of them. That's what junior hockey is all about, seeing which young players can take that next step in their game.

I guess we'll see, but I'm more than comfortable in saying that the Tigers will have a very good offensive club this year.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:52 AM
phillipsj89

Quote:
Now weve got two WC guys telling two EC conference guys what's what with the EC.

Unbelieveable. Well, not really.

Cmon man, give it a rest. Shinkaruk is not all that. You'll see for yourself soon enough when he is playing in the Canucks system. Or maybe not. Either way I dont really care.

And Phillips, I dont have to watch youtube, I go to the ****ing live games.

You go ahead and watch youtube. See if anyone posted video of him being completely neutralized for multiple games, then get back to me.
Sorry bawd, you miss things when you are at live games. I'm just telling you, he is not overrated. Not a chance.