HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Avalounge: Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won’t expect it back

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Sheet

vCash: 140
I worked my first graveyard shift last night. I forgot how terrifying it is to be a brand new parent. Im an rn annd i normally dont work in the er, so it was a new experience.

Got a 911 for a 2 week old difficulty breathing and in apparent pain.. the kid was constipated and gassy is all. The way the parents were acting you'd think some life saving medicine came into play.

I cant pick. I drove my son to the er like a mad man when his umbilical cord came off.

Im sort of glad i ditched med school to be an rn full time. Way more patient interaction.

Old
07-29-2013, 11:46 AM
tucker3434
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheet View Post
I worked my first graveyard shift last night. I forgot how terrifying it is to be a brand new parent. Im an rn annd i normally dont work in the er, so it was a new experience.

Got a 911 for a 2 week old difficulty breathing and in apparent pain.. the kid was constipated and gassy is all. The way the parents were acting you'd think some life saving medicine came into play.

I cant pick. I drove my son to the er like a mad man when his umbilical cord came off.

Im sort of glad i ditched med school to be an rn full time. Way more patient interaction.
My fiancee used to work the night shift in the PICU. I think the parents are what made her burn out. Obviously without visiting hours, some parents would stay all night and treat her like a butler/maid. That would drive me crazy too. There was also the occasional one that would tell her that their lawyer was on speed dial and try to record everything she did. That's a stressful work environment.

Old
07-29-2013, 01:21 PM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 50
More proof the Dater checks HF. His last few articles have been about how
mackinnon acted on Mr.D. The same clip which was posted in the Mackinnon thread yesterday.

Old
07-29-2013, 01:30 PM
The Shermanator
Regular Sized Rudy

vCash: 177
Hi Adrian!

Old
07-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
My fiancee used to work the night shift in the PICU. I think the parents are what made her burn out. Obviously without visiting hours, some parents would stay all night and treat her like a butler/maid. That would drive me crazy too. There was also the occasional one that would tell her that their lawyer was on speed dial and try to record everything she did. That's a stressful work environment.
Yeah i havent ran across that quite yet but ive heard horror stories. I cant say i envy any nurse in the pediatrics world. I was one of "those" dads when my son was born.. i didnt let him leave my sight and was all up in his charts and asked the most rediculous questions looking backon it. I still get breakroom banter over it.

Old
07-29-2013, 01:56 PM
tucker3434
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheet View Post
Yeah i havent ran across that quite yet but ive heard horror stories. I cant say i envy any nurse in the pediatrics world. I was one of "those" dads when my son was born.. i didnt let him leave my sight and was all up in his charts and asked the most rediculous questions looking backon it. I still get breakroom banter over it.
Yeah, it definitely made her a bit of a hypochondriac, and I'm sure she'll be the same when we have kids. I guess it's tough when you only see the worst case scenarios, and you're seeing it all the time. Being a regular parent is tough enough. You probably shouldn't know all the terrible things that can and do happen.

Old
07-29-2013, 05:15 PM
Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
Yeah, it definitely made her a bit of a hypochondriac, and I'm sure she'll be the same when we have kids. I guess it's tough when you only see the worst case scenarios, and you're seeing it all the time. Being a regular parent is tough enough. You probably shouldn't know all the terrible things that can and do happen.
Yeah its ****** but you would think given my profession i would of rationally understood an umbilical cord is suppose to fall off. For some reason i was convinced he had a gaping stomach wound though. First babies are rough. The next two i think i slept and took a breath occassionally.

Old
07-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Rhaego

Elway off deathrow

Over/under till he's on it again? I got 5 days.

Old
07-29-2013, 07:07 PM
BrickAHL
No More

2 days.

Old
07-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
2 days.
I might spam the non-american football thread with all american football.

Old
07-29-2013, 07:23 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Who else thinks Colorado local media is a joke.

Not trying to be biased, but they ran a front page story on their website about one of the backup QBs improving more than MacKinnon being drafted.

I understand that Avs suck and any hype will be an all time low, but drafting 1st overall should be a huge story compared to a story about the backup QB. This is one reason why I hate the Broncos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
I don't know much about the local media in Colorado but I do know that Chambers and Dater are a part of it, so I'm sure you know what my opinion is on the local media in Colorado.
Dude it's not only the sports media, but just every local media is garbage, today Fox 31 and 9 News (some of the bigger local news affiliates) were talking about how lifting up your child can hurt back. How on earth is that news or close to being news?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway View Post
Its training camp time. They were on the MacKinnon train for awhile now and would talk about it now, but there isn't anything going on with Nate or the Avs right now.

Not to mention this is the Broncos year and a Broncos town.
I understand that, but I would like throwball much more if they toned down the hype and stories on a daily basis. One example is when Tebow was still on team and I wanted to know the weather, BUT before the weather they went to a local restaurant and showed us about the new Tebow breakfast burrito killlllll me. Rockies you know about the sports media more than I (seems that way), but how much hype and time did they give MacKinnon compared to a 2nd string QB?

Last edited by S E P H: 07-29-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old
07-29-2013, 07:27 PM
BrickAHL
No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Who else thinks Colorado local media is a joke.

Not trying to be biased, but they ran a front page story on their website about one of the backup QBs improving more than MacKinnon being drafted.

I understand that Avs suck and any hype will be an all time low, but drafting 1st overall should be a huge story compared to a story about the backup QB. This is one reason why I hate the Broncos.
I don't know much about the local media in Colorado but I do know that Chambers and Dater are a part of it, so I'm sure you know what my opinion is on the local media in Colorado.

Old
07-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Rhaego

Its training camp time. They were on the MacKinnon train for awhile now and would talk about it now, but there isn't anything going on with Nate or the Avs right now.

Not to mention this is the Broncos year and a Broncos town.

Old
07-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Bubba Thudd
Infer-Action!!!

vCash: 7757
Quote:
I might spam the non-american football thread with all american football.
I would advise against it.

07-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I would advise against it.
They've spammed this thread with Soccer for years

Old
07-29-2013, 10:12 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

I'm back, throwball >>>> football AINEC.

Thanks bubba for making that thread, and I'm sorry for boring everyone with my soccer posts on here.

I can't beat level 147 on Candy Crush.

Old
07-29-2013, 10:27 PM
RockLobster
Jon Snow, Uneducated

vCash: 844
So I've been behind on Game of Thrones, just getting caught up, I'm watching Season 3, episode 9, "The Rains of Castemere" or otherwise known as "The Red Wedding"...

I despise this show so damn much it's not even funny, nothing good ever happens to anyone you root for in this entire series. Meanwhile the characters you would despise the most get away with all of the crap and there's no traditional "comeuppance".

I can handle series where good has to suffer to build up evil, but that's ALL it seems that this series has done, and there's no end in sight.

**** this show.

Hope shines brightest, in the dark, where nothing's ever seen. Lighting undiscovered places, no one's ever been.
Old
07-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
So I've been behind on Game of Thrones, just getting caught up, I'm watching Season 3, episode 9, "The Rains of Castemere" or otherwise known as "The Red Wedding"...

I despise this show so damn much it's not even funny, nothing good ever happens to anyone you root for in this entire series. Meanwhile the characters you would despise the most get away with all of the crap and there's no traditional "comeuppance".

I can handle series where good has to suffer to build up evil, but that's ALL it seems that this series has done, and there's no end in sight.

**** this show.
Those two aren't big players in the scheme of things.

And the show is sort of pessimistic, but then you get Khaleesi Slave Freeer Goddess. You take the good with the bad, it can't be all fluff or you wouldn't watch/read (I too was pissed after reading and watching though, its definitely shocking)

Old
07-29-2013, 11:07 PM
RockLobster
Jon Snow, Uneducated

vCash: 844
Quote:
Those two aren't big players in the scheme of things.

And the show is sort of pessimistic, but then you get Khaleesi Slave Freeer Goddess. You take the good with the bad, it can't be all fluff or you wouldn't watch/read (I too was pissed after reading and watching though, its definitely shocking)
I could not care less about the "Khaleesi Slave Freer Goddess". I have varying levels of interest in her storyline, but at most it's an "Average" interest.

I know that I've got to "take the good with the bad", but this is getting beyond ridiculous.

Will use Spoiler Text for those who were like me and got into the game late.

Spoil:
Since Season 1 we've more or less seen a near extinction of the Stark clan as we've known them. Ned in season 1 and now Catelyn, Robb and his wife in Season 3. They've got Jon Snow doing God knows what, Bran can't seem to find them, Arya is constantly just out of reach. The only thing that is of interest to me right now is how Tyrion and Sansa will work, but something tells me that he'll be killed off because fans like him. It seems like George R.R. Martin likes to kill off well-liked characters while keeping pieces of **** like Joffery around as long as possible. That kid can't be killed off soon enough.

I hope Jon Snow finds out what the Walder Frey did and finds a way to sell his old ass to the Dothroki so they can do unspeakable things to him.

My point was that as Writer, you can only expect your audience to put up with so much before they get tired of seeing everyone they like be killed by their enemies. And I think this episode is no different.

I'm going to watch the rest of season 3, but I will admit it and say that I will have a hard time watching season 4, because why should I invest any more time in watching characters I like if my suspicion is that they will be killed so that the ****** bags that are Joffery, Tywin, the Frey's, etc. will always prevail.

On a side note, I haven't watched the last episode of Season 3 yet, but I sure hope that we see some more of the Tyrion and Sansa storyline as well as Jaime and Brienne.

/End Rant

Old
07-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
I could not care less about the "Khaleesi Slave Freer Goddess". I have varying levels of interest in her storyline, but at most it's an "Average" interest.

I know that I've got to "take the good with the bad", but this is getting beyond ridiculous.

Spoil:
Since Season 1 we've more or less seen a near extinction of the Stark clan as we've known them. Ned in season 1 and now Catelyn, Robb and his wife in Season 3. They've got Jon Snow doing God knows what, Bran can't seem to find them, Arya is constantly just out of reach. The only thing that is of interest to me right now is how Tyrion and Sansa will work, but something tells me that he'll be killed off because fans like him. It seems like George R.R. Martin likes to kill off well-liked characters while keeping pieces of **** like Joffery around as long as possible. That kid can't be killed off soon enough.

I hope Jon Snow finds out what the Walder Frey did and finds a way to sell his old ass to the Dothroki so they can do unspeakable things to him.

My point was that as Writer, you can only expect your audience to put up with so much before they get tired of seeing everyone they like be killed by their enemies. And I think this episode is no different.

I'm going to watch the rest of season 3, but I will admit it and say that I will have a hard time watching season 4, because why should I invest any more time in watching characters I like if my suspicion is that they will be killed so that the ****** bags that are Joffery, Tywin, the Frey's, etc. will always prevail.

On a side note, I haven't watched the last episode of Season 3 yet, but I sure hope that we see some more of the Tyrion and Sansa storyline as well as Jaime and Brienne.

/End Rant
You may want to finish the last episode before you read this (not major, very minor)
Spoil:
Just going off Season 3 though, we have Arya on route to becoming super bad ass assassin, Jon is the most likely the next Lord Commander, Bran is some sort of super wizard/warg. Sansa has it rough, but Tyrion is good to her at least. I know there's no Ned or Robb now, but the Starks still have a major role to play. And its not like the evil characters are uninteresting.

And they are mostly progressing into more complex characters too. This series has a lot going for it in the years to come. I wouldn't jump ship

Old
07-29-2013, 11:26 PM
The Shermanator
Regular Sized Rudy

vCash: 177
It ends on a pretty positive note.

Old
07-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
It ends on a pretty positive note.
He hasn't seen that yet.

And that's a really lame way to end the season regardless. I like Dany, but there's a couple other storylines that I would have ended it with.

Old
07-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:

Have you seen the wildfire episode yet? That's pretty much the classic one. I guess it's not a show for everyone - I'll admit that most of my reason that I am watching still is waiting for revenge against all these people.

Last edited by Bubba Thudd: 07-30-2013 at 05:59 AM. Reason: deleted spoiler
Old
07-29-2013, 11:35 PM
Rhaego

If the show sucked and it was "evil over good" too I wouldn't watch, but its arguably the best show on TV.

I don't need any show to pick me up

Old
07-29-2013, 11:42 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Spoil:
I like to eat food.

Many variety of foods.

Closed Thread