HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

How well has Jones played?

Old
10-06-2013, 06:42 PM
AvsFanJosh

vCash: 50
How well has Jones played?

Hey guys, Avs Fan coming in peace. I was just wondering how Jones has played so far for you guys, and are you guys happy so far with drafting him?

AvsFanJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:47 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
His speed, size and hands are all incredible. Probably the best passing defenseman we've had including Suter, and all of this fails in comparison to his poise, especially for his age.

I didn't want another defenseman but he's way beyond what I thought he would be. I really had visions of EJ in my head.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanJosh View Post
Hey guys, Avs Fan coming in peace. I was just wondering how Jones has played so far for you guys, and are you guys happy so far with drafting him?
I guess you didn't watch the game on Friday night.

To me he has been just meh or average to just above average, but what that doesn't take into consideration is his age. When you add in his age and the fact he is already average or just above average, he's probably going to end up pretty good. But for me the jury is still out.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Montross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I guess you didn't watch the game on Friday night.

To me he has been just meh or average to just above average, but what that doesn't take into consideration is his age. When you add in his age and the fact he is already average or just above average, he's probably going to end up pretty good. But for me the jury is still out.
Oh my god. Seth Jones has not been "meh" or "average". Through two games he has been the best defenseman out there. 18 mins and a +2 in game one. 25 minutes to lead all players in game 2. It is even more impressive the he is playing the first NHL games of his life at 19 years old.

He has not been "meh". He has been great. Josh Cooper, Preds beat writer: "Jones played the most minutes of all skaters Friday (25:46 total). At least through the first two games he has played like a veteran, not a 19-year-old. ". About the St. louis game: "Seth Jones did not look out of place at all. Nashville’s 2013 first round pick showed excellent passing ability and mobility for a player his size. What I found interesting was how well Jones used his reach to distribute the puck. He was able to find teammates and squeeze the puck through the tiniest of holes."

I truly wonder about these so-called Pred fans who are complaining about how Jones has played so far.

Montross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 07:33 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montross View Post
Oh my god. Seth Jones has not been "meh" or "average". Through two games he has been the best defenseman out there. 18 mins and a +2 in game one. 25 minutes to lead all players in game 2. It is even more impressive the he is playing the first NHL games of his life at 19 years old.

He has not been "meh". He has been great. Josh Cooper, Preds beat writer: "Jones played the most minutes of all skaters Friday (25:46 total). At least through the first two games he has played like a veteran, not a 19-year-old. ". About the St. louis game: "Seth Jones did not look out of place at all. Nashville’s 2013 first round pick showed excellent passing ability and mobility for a player his size. What I found interesting was how well Jones used his reach to distribute the puck. He was able to find teammates and squeeze the puck through the tiniest of holes."

I truly wonder about these so-called Pred fans who are complaining about how Jones has played so far.
you don't live in Nashville if you're quoting Josh Cooper of the fishwrap.

He looks fine, we haven't seen him in person yet. Check back in a week.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 07:46 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post

I was at the Avs-Preds game...

Jones looked great. He can skate, pass, shoot, and most importantly, DEFEND. He will be special for sure. Only complaint is he isnt that physical. But Ive only seen 1 game from him so not really much of a fair sample size to judge him entirely.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Montross

Quote:

TN all my life - and I know how junky the paper is. But Ive read Cooper since he took over the beat and he has done a good job covering the team. Try actually reading his stuff.

Montross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:07 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Jones has been excellent. Very few mistakes. He has worked really well with Ekholm, who has also looked good. I would only expect him to get better as the season goes along.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

I like Cooper. Much better than what's-his-face he replaced.

Jones has exceeded my expectations thus far. All negatives I can think about him are normal for any rookie d-man. He'll be unstoppable once he learns to use his weight a bit when he fills out.

I would have been thrilled with any of the top 4 from that draft. I would have preferred a forward, but Jones is a great consolation prize.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:42 PM
AvsFanJosh

vCash: 50
Im very happy with Mack, but almost Jealous of Jones, I think hes going to be very good

AvsFanJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:35 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
You lose any credibility when you say that Jones has played better than Weber in his first 2 games in the NHL. I went to St Louis and was very impressed with his play, especially on the PP. He showed great puck distribution and unloaded a heavy shot when he had shooting lanes (held back when the lanes weren't there). But he was not better than Weber. Might be one day, maybe sooner than most of us expect given Josi's latest concussion. As of today and the near future, Weber is the best Dman on the team.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 01:08 AM
Nashville Transplant

Having watched Drew Doughty's rookie season, I can honestly say Seth Jones is almost as flawless to watch as DD was in year one. It's about the coaching staff making sure he's in a position to succeed, and they seem to be pretty aware of where they are spotting him, and with whom.

I love this pick. You couldn't go wrong with the top 4, and the need for a defenseman just wasn't as important to COL, FLA and TB... they may one day rue their decision, but for now, it's all our gain!

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 06:28 AM
predfan98

Quote:
TN all my life - and I know how junky the paper is. But Ive read Cooper since he took over the beat and he has done a good job covering the team. Try actually reading his stuff.
I do read his short paragraphs he puts up. I've also read other beat writers, even in non traditional markets. Cooper doesn't do anything close. No analysis or in depth coverage. He's a great twitterer if you want to know what music is being played in each arena.

There was even a trip a couple of years ago where josi didn't even travel with the team because of an injury. No comments from practice. He didn't notice and didn't follow up. Sloppy and shallow.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 07:08 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

He played 25+ minutes in his second game on the road. Those were not "protected" minutes, and he looked outstanding IMHO.

Old
10-07-2013, 07:38 AM
glenngineer

The poster said he's been the best defenseman for us the first two games but didn't say he was a better player than Weber at this point. That's what I took from it.

Jones looked a little shaky in the first period against St. Louis but once he and Ekholm both settled down, they were solid. Then all of a sudden once he realized he did belong here, he started picking up his game and by the third he looked like he was comfortable out there. In Colorado he looked solid as well. Anyway we look at it, he's as solid a player at his age as I've seen come through our team, period.

As far as his physicality goes, he took a few big hits and I did notice him hitting a few guys as well. He was more physical than I expected. Remember, he's 6'4" but only 205 at this point. Let him put on the natural body weight that comes with age and maturity and he should be in the 215-220 range, much like Pronger was. You don't want him getting too big as he'll lose some of his speed but as he said in an interview in the offseason, Lidstrom wasn't overly physical and he had a pretty decent career. I like a physical defender as much as anyone out there but I love a defender that can play cerebral hockey and get the puck away from people by using his brain, positioning and skill set, that is what made a guy like Lidstrom so special. Guys who can check like Weber are special as well but Jones will be a different player in the end.

I think Jones has a mentality that many of us have never seen. I really believe he takes each game as a challenge and wants to be the best player out on the ice in addition to being a leader for his team. It's not something that I can say, he did this or that, it's just his demeanor on the ice and the way I see him trying to get better every shift. That is drive and maybe it rubs off on some of the other younger guys.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
The poster said he's been the best defenseman for us the first two games but didn't say he was a better player than Weber at this point. That's what I took from it.

Jones looked a little shaky in the first period against St. Louis but once he and Ekholm both settled down, they were solid. Then all of a sudden once he realized he did belong here, he started picking up his game and by the third he looked like he was comfortable out there. In Colorado he looked solid as well. Anyway we look at it, he's as solid a player at his age as I've seen come through our team, period.

As far as his physicality goes, he took a few big hits and I did notice him hitting a few guys as well. He was more physical than I expected. Remember, he's 6'4" but only 205 at this point. Let him put on the natural body weight that comes with age and maturity and he should be in the 215-220 range, much like Pronger was. You don't want him getting too big as he'll lose some of his speed but as he said in an interview in the offseason, Lidstrom wasn't overly physical and he had a pretty decent career. I like a physical defender as much as anyone out there but I love a defender that can play cerebral hockey and get the puck away from people by using his brain, positioning and skill set, that is what made a guy like Lidstrom so special. Guys who can check like Weber are special as well but Jones will be a different player in the end.

I think Jones has a mentality that many of us have never seen. I really believe he takes each game as a challenge and wants to be the best player out on the ice in addition to being a leader for his team. It's not something that I can say, he did this or that, it's just his demeanor on the ice and the way I see him trying to get better every shift. That is drive and maybe it rubs off on some of the other younger guys.
I thought the exact same thing.

If his first to games, at 19 years and then 19 years and one day old are any indication, he's going to be an absolute cornerstone for years to come. It's almost unfair

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 08:07 AM
RaiderDoug

Much like the others have said in this post - the guy has been everything his advanced billing told us he was. He's been great his first two games, and considering that it's his first two games of his career - I don't see how anyone could be anything but extremely happy.

Like the others, he could stand to be more physical, but I think that will come in time.

If he does, I think he could easily be a top 5 NHL D.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

It'll be interesting to see how he handles being on the top pairing with Weber. Assuming he is.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
He played 25+ minutes in his second game on the road. Those were not "protected" minutes, and he looked outstanding IMHO.
Completely agree with this; he's 19. On a relative level, he has played exceptionally. If you're going to compare him straight up to a two-time Norris finalist, then yes he's behind a bit. I've watched both regular season games and saw him in DC during preseason; he is very special. With Josi out, we'll see how he can handle the pressure because I'm pretty sure he's going to see first pairing minutes and matchups for a couple of weeks.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:01 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Much like the others have said in this post - the guy has been everything his advanced billing told us he was. He's been great his first two games, and considering that it's his first two games of his career - I don't see how anyone could be anything but extremely happy.

Like the others, he could stand to be more physical, but I think that will come in time.

If he does, I think he could easily be a top 5 NHL D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Completely agree with this; he's 19. On a relative level, he has played exceptionally. If you're going to compare him straight up to a two-time Norris finalist, then yes he's behind a bit. I've watched both regular season games and saw him in DC during preseason; he is very special. With Josi out, we'll see how he can handle the pressure because I'm pretty sure he's going to see first pairing minutes and matchups for a couple of weeks.
Agreed. So far he's been great, and about to be tested further.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:41 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
I'm very pleased with his play so far, especially considering he's paired with Ekholm.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:10 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I was extremely against drafting a defenseman, and still wish it could have been a different set of circumstances...but regardless of all that, I can't deny that Jones has been very, very impressive in the early going. Everything he was hyped to be and more.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Nashville Transplant

Quote:
When I used that term, there are two things that come to mind...

1. I wasn't using it in the negative

2. Josi got hurt, and Jones played a few more shifts than he WOULD have if they were rotating 6.

Believe me... I'm a believer.

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 12:03 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Transplant View Post
When I used that term, there are two things that come to mind...

1. I wasn't using it in the negative

2. Josi got hurt, and Jones played a few more shifts than he WOULD have if they were rotating 6.

Believe me... I'm a believer.
Sorry I wasn't really quoting you, it was just a general statement.

Old
10-07-2013, 12:31 PM
SmashingPred

Amen. I have been nothing but impressed with the kid. I hadn't expect him to be even 50% this good.

Now let's hope he can carry the load of the extra minutes and especially the long schedule. But for now, I'm almost not even sad about not having one of the 3 forwards anymore.

SmashingPred is offline   Reply With Quote