HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should we buy out?

View Poll Results: Who should the Rangers Buy-Out?
Jagr (4.18 Million per year for 4 more seasons) 9 9.18%
Holik (6.7 Million per year for 2 more seasons) 76 77.55%
Kasparaitis (($3.344M this year, $3.268 next, and $3.116M for 2007-08) 37 37.76%
Nylander ($2.28M per year for 3 more seasons). 13 13.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2005, 04:31 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Who should we buy out?

(Sorry I messed that last one up so i deleted it)

Brooks latest article saids the NHL will allow each team to buy out 2 players and not have the salary they would now owe the players to going against the cap. (catch is you can resign them for cheaper)

So...who do you think the Rangers should buy out...if any? (assuming this is all true)

Barnaby quote:
Quote:
Depends on the buy out amount. Assuming it's still the 2/3rds amount, then I don't know. If there is some kind of discount on any two players, then Holik and Kaspar. I'm sure better replacements could be found that would contribute more to the organization.
Wantleetchback quote:
Quote:
Holik and kasparitis.

Old
06-19-2005, 04:47 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

BTW...just Holik for me. Way too expensive for a 2nd or 3rd line center. If he was under 4 million id keep him. Past his prime and he complains A LOT and never really does anything.

Keep Kasp as our #1 dman. Good team player...never really saw him slacking off like most of the Rangers did in 03-04. Jagr is cheap for 4.2 million...unless a team wants to give some nice prospects up for him..keep him.

Old
06-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Holik is the least useful player for a team that is rebuilding. And that leaves us with one of each overpriced veteran defenseman, center and wing.

Old
06-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I say Holik also. Even with the salary rollback he is still gonna be making over 6 mill which is way too much for a guy who cries to the media and doesn't really score a lot.

Old
06-19-2005, 05:57 PM
Levitate

i think holik is more useful than jagr...he brings more and does more for the team than jagr. and how the hell is he "past his prime" when his last seasons totals were completely in line with his normal career stats? 50-60 points and 25 goals also is not "weak offense" or anything like that

i agree he's overpaid, but again considering he can put up 50-60 points and 25 goals or so while playing good defense, a physical game, and generally making the people he plays with better...he does more for this team than jagr overall. the only reason i'd buy him out over jagr is, yes, the money issue.

and i'd buy out kaspar as with a new CBA, he makes too much and can be replaced on the blueline cheaper on the FA market

Old
06-19-2005, 06:18 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
i think holik is more useful than jagr...he brings more and does more for the team than jagr. and how the hell is he "past his prime" when his last seasons totals were completely in line with his normal career stats? 50-60 points and 25 goals also is not "weak offense" or anything like that

i agree he's overpaid, but again considering he can put up 50-60 points and 25 goals or so while playing good defense, a physical game, and generally making the people he plays with better...he does more for this team than jagr overall. the only reason i'd buy him out over jagr is, yes, the money issue.

and i'd buy out kaspar as with a new CBA, he makes too much and can be replaced on the blueline cheaper on the FA market
how the hell is he past his prime you ask... the guy was one of the best checking centers in the game with NJ.....sure hes kept his offense up but in the past seasons we have only seen flashes of that great defensive play at his age of 34(like the back to back games vs Boston where he just down the Thornton line...sad that I can remember that since its so rare). Hes slower and nowhere near as physical as he was in NJ,. He was a +96 (average of a +16 each season) total in his last 6 seasons with NJ....last 2 seasons with the Rangers...+3. (Average +1.5). And who did he make better that played with him?

This would be a one time shot to get rid of him and that ridiculous contract. Hes nowhere near with 6.2 million and it would be just plain dumb to hold onto him.

Old
06-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Levitate

you think maybe going from a strong defensive team in NJ to a team that has no idea how to play defense like NY might have something to do with his +/-? not to mention the recent rangers coaches tendency to NOT use him to shut down the other teams top players?

Old
06-19-2005, 06:25 PM
jratelle19

Last spring, when the Rangers were holding their firesale and Holik was approached by the press and asked about the Rangers rebuild with youth, Holik said "I didn't sign on for this." Well, Bobby Frankenstein, we wouldn't want you to be an unhappy Blueshirt so how about we buy you out, and you can hightail it somewhere else where you can earn what you are worth, which is about 1/4 of what you are making now!!!!!!!!

Old
06-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Levitate

i think jagr felt pretty much the same way when the firesale came along too

the only real point i'm trying to make here is that i don't think jagr truly helps rebuild the team and is as valuable as it seems some people are making him to be. and we don't even know for sure yet how much he'll count towards the cap

Old
06-19-2005, 06:40 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
you think maybe going from a strong defensive team in NJ to a team that has no idea how to play defense like NY might have something to do with his +/-? not to mention the recent rangers coaches tendency to NOT use him to shut down the other teams top players?
Then cant we make the same point for his offensive #'s? Playing on a strong defensive team in NJ and still putting up 25-30 goal, 60 point seasons was very good, now he comes to an offensive team and doesnt score anymore then he did on that defensive team.

Old
06-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
If the team had more center depth, I'd say Holik. But on a team like this, he is probably needed.

Kaspar is needed for the D despite his contract.

Jagr is needed to score goals.

So I voted Nylander.

Old
06-19-2005, 07:02 PM
barnaby63

It depends on the free agents that would be available, but the most likely candidate to me is Nylander.

Old
06-19-2005, 07:09 PM
Onion Boy

I wonder why so many people are down on Nylander...

My vote would be Holik. He's a helluva player and probably worth close to what he makes, but I get the feeling that he just doesn't want to be here and it might be best just to part ways here.

Of course, if he does stay, he should be given a leadership role since it might help him keep his focus.

Old
06-19-2005, 07:13 PM
in the hall

Kasper
both have terrible contracts but Holik's only gauranteed 2 years

of course both would be the guys I'd dump if two are the max

Old
06-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Levitate

Quote:
now he comes to an offensive team and doesnt score anymore then he did on that defensive team.
uh, the rangers really weren't all that great on offense either...that's part of the reason they've sucked so bad. when was the last time the rangers had a 40 goal scorer

Quote:
If the team had more center depth, I'd say Holik. But on a team like this, he is probably needed.
Quote:
So I voted Nylander.
uh...so you say we need depth at center and then you vote to buy out the only other legit NHL center the rangers have?

ehhh, honestly maybe if just comes down to what the $$ is. if jagr really only costs $4 mill it might be best to keep him and get rid of holik since he'd be worth over $2 mill more on the salary cap, i just think jagr doesn't nessarily bring a lot to a "rebuilding" team

Old
06-19-2005, 07:29 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Im pretty against getting rid of Kasp. Hes the only vet blueliner we have. Sure if we sign Leetch back I might change my opinion on this..but thats a big if.

Old
06-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Onion Boy

A quick Q...

Is Nylander's contract for 3 years or 2? I though he signed a three year deal, but this past year should've counted for one.

Or did he sign a 4 year deal?

Old
06-19-2005, 07:33 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
A quick Q...

Is Nylander's contract for 3 years or 2? I though he signed a three year deal, but this past year should've counted for one.

3 year deal with a club/player option for a 4th year.

Heres an old article on the signing http://www.detnews.com/2004/wings/04...ngs-239233.htm

Last edited by FLYLine24: 06-19-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old
06-19-2005, 07:47 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
A quick Q...

it was a 4 year deal

Old
06-19-2005, 07:59 PM
NYR469

nylander's deal is too many years and holik & kaspar make too much $$, but my decision on all of them depends on what happens with all the RFAs (ie if the june 30th deadline for QO is missed, does everyone become a UFA??) and also who doesn't get qualified if the deadline is extended...freeing up $$ to go after 24-25 year old free agents is a completely different story than going after 32-33 year olds.

honestly i don't want to free up cap room unless some younger guys are available because freeing up cap room just means the rangers can be the rangers and make bad signings. sure you could buyout holik and then sign 3 players for the same $$, but i'd rather pay holik the whole thing and have 2 kids get spots, then spread the $$ out and have more veterans. and you are already getting 24% discounts on holik, kaspar and nylander and about 60% discount on jagr (after what the caps pay)

i also don't think there will be many veterans lining up to join the rangers in the current situation so the chances of getting vets that are better for the rebulid for less $$ might be easier said then done.

and come deadline time all 4 should have big trade value to a contender especially jagr, holik and kaspar (especially if players on IR don't count against the cap). so why pay 67% of the contract to buy them out and get nothing in return if you can use them for the first few months and then jan/feb pick up 50% of the contract and get young players or draft picks in return. there is bound to be a team that loses a top player to injury and has both the cap room and need to pull off such a deal.

Old
06-19-2005, 08:30 PM
markymarc15

I agree with FLY. I voted for Holik. At this point, since it is a rebuild and all, either put Moore or Betts (if ever healthy) as 3rd line center, maybe even Immonen if he comes over and they decide to make Lundmark the #2 center. They are making chump change anyway. The 3rd line center position should belong to one of the many prospects. They won't put up Holik's numbers, but even if they put up 1/3rd of the numbers he put up last year and play a decent 2 way game, I'd be happy. Immonen would be the best bet of the 3 because of his skill. Just give him 2 wingers with size and some skill and he'll be fine.

I didn't want Holik in the 1st place because of his NJD alliance. That contract was the worst ever in NHL history. Now it's time to right the wrongs.

Old
06-19-2005, 10:11 PM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc15
I agree with FLY. I voted for Holik. At this point, since it is a rebuild and all, either put Moore or Betts (if ever healthy) as 3rd line center, maybe even Immonen if he comes over and they decide to make Lundmark the #2 center. They are making chump change anyway. The 3rd line center position should belong to one of the many prospects. They won't put up Holik's numbers, but even if they put up 1/3rd of the numbers he put up last year and play a decent 2 way game, I'd be happy. Immonen would be the best bet of the 3 because of his skill. Just give him 2 wingers with size and some skill and he'll be fine.

I didn't want Holik in the 1st place because of his NJD alliance. That contract was the worst ever in NHL history. Now it's time to right the wrongs.
while I agree with you, sorry but Yashin's is by far the worst contract in NHL history, with Holik and Lapointe coming a close 2nd and 3rd.

I don't understand why Nylander is wanted for the boot? its 3 years, not 6 or 9 or even 5, and considering how he carried the boston team on his back during the playoffs was enough for me. When the guy plays, he plays very well, and hopefully it will give Jagr a legit scoring center, not Holik

Old
06-19-2005, 10:49 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
3 year deal with a club/player option for a 4th year.

Heres an old article on the signing http://www.detnews.com/2004/wings/04...ngs-239233.htm
My bad. Thanks.

Old
06-19-2005, 11:45 PM
NYRangers

I voted Holik but I changed my mind.

Might aswell hold onto him now. Were not going to be near the cap for a couple years so its not hurting us. But letting him go would hurt us a lot.

Old
06-20-2005, 01:37 AM
nyr5186

Keep Kasparaitis. He's pretty much the only veteran presence on our blueline. His energy and effort could be a big asset to some of our younger Russian d-man prospects, namely Tyutin and Kondratiev. Plus, I dont think anybody really wants to start the season with Tom Poti being the veteran on defense.

As for Holik, I would agree that he serves little purpose on a rebuilding team, especially with his tendencies to speak his mind and criticize. But ideally, I would hold on to him at least for the start of the season, then try to trade him at the deadline for picks/prospects in hopes of continuing the firesale/rebuilding process. Problem is would anybody take on his hefty contract under the new CBA? We may have to find a way to restructure his contract, or buy him out and then re-sign him at a cheaper price.

Closed Thread