HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Physical presence on defense

Old
07-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Thundermare

vCash: 500
Physical presence on defense

With the absence of Emelin there is definite room for a physical presence on defense.

I have seen several trade proposal on this board including physical defensemen or forward but there is a few UFA outthere that could do the Job.

Personnaly I would like to see The Habs give a second chance to Ryan O'Byrne. It seems like he has grown a lot since the early days. If we can grow past the purse incident and the goal scored in our own net, he could do the job, if signed at a reasonnable cost.

What do you think?

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermare View Post
With the absence of Emelin there is definite room for a physical presence on defense.

I have seen several trade proposal on this board including physical defensemen or forward but there is a few UFA outthere that could do the Job.

Personnaly I would like to see The Habs give a second chance to Ryan O'Byrne. It seems like he has grown a lot since the early days. If we can grow past the purse incident and the goal scored in our own net, he could do the job, if signed at a reasonnable cost.

What do you think?
I think almost everyone will say No to O'Byrne, but I wouldn't be upset to bring him in for a year.

Is Murray still unsigned?

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:35 PM
That Habs Fan
drive for 25's alive

vCash: 400
Fistric, Murray, Foster, OByrne

would take any of them

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
I think almost everyone will say No to O'Byrne, but I wouldn't be upset to bring him in for a year.

Is Murray still unsigned?
Yes he is.

I've seen more physical presence in a basketball game for **** sakes.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:40 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermare View Post

What do you think?
The Habs have Drewiske filling the 7th defence position already and any other acquisition should have more potential for the future. O'Byrne burned up his chance in Montreal playing the 6'5" clown, teasing that young girl, drunk isn't an excuse for antagonizing young women.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:40 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabsfanfromtoronto View Post

would take any of them
I don't want Murray. He is way too slow for what the Canadiens want their defense to do. They play a pressure, pinching game and need at least some skating ability to get back and cover.

One of the reasons Markov looked way slower than in past years was because he was pinching more, making it more difficult to catch opposing forwards. He has slowed down but not as much as what many think. I can't imagine how slow Murray would seem.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:42 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
The Habs have Drewiske filling the 7th defence position already and any other acquisition should have more potential for the future. O'Byrne burned up his chance in Montreal playing the 6'5" clown, teasing that young girl, drunk isn't an excuse for antagonizing young women.
Sounds like you were there and know all the details...

We actually don't need to acquire potential for the future. We have that. What the team might need is someone to bridge the gap between now and the time when the potential can begin to contribute.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Also, if you watched him in Colorado or Toronto, you'd know he still isn't any good.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Maxpac

Jarred Tinordi?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:53 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Sounds like you were there and know all the details...

We actually don't need to acquire potential for the future. We have that. What the team might need is someone to bridge the gap between now and the time when the potential can begin to contribute.
I read the news and if we don't need potential then Drewiske just signed a two year deal to play the 7th defenceman like I said.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 50
Tinordi will start in the top 4 with Subban, Markov and Gorges leaving the bottom pairing a chance to put in Pateryn if he makes the club or just Bouillon-Diaz and Drewiski.

I just can't see the team getting another defenseman unless it's via trade, they are very heavy on guys on the back end. Also, MB is going to want to see how Tinordi adapts to a larger role after an off season of beefing up, it's just how he operates which was evident with Gallagher and Galchenyuk having a fair opportunity to make the club with vacancies left open.

Habsawce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:03 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
We don't need anymore #6-7 guys that may play a bigger role. We have too many of them already. O'Byrne is no different than Drewiske.

Remember we have Pateryn, Beaulieu, Dietz and Ellis that are going to be trying to win a spot or games with the Habs next year. ( Tinordi should be a lock to make the team).

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:

would take any of them
I think I just puked a little...

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Hullois

We need a #4D in the mold of what Hamrlik was for us a couple of years ago a lot more than a plug #7D to challenge Drewiske.

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:22 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Don't want Murray here, he isn't a very physical d-man and is a terrible skater.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Jarred Tinordi?
Even with Emelin/Tinordi another physical presence wouldn't hurt.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:28 PM
PsychoticHab

Quote:

would take any of them
I would say no to Murray and O'Byrne as they both lack any skill to go with their physicality. I wouldn't want to go for physicality for physicality's sake. Foster would be okay but he'd have to be a #6. However, I would love to see Mark Fistric in a Habs jersey. He is extremely physical but also has enough ability to not become a liability.

PsychoticHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:33 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Don't want Murray here, he isn't a very physical d-man and is a terrible skater.
If people thought Traverse was a pylon?!

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:37 PM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticHab View Post
I would say no to Murray and O'Byrne as they both lack any skill to go with their physicality. I wouldn't want to go for physicality for physicality's sake. Foster would be okay but he'd have to be a #6. However, I would love to see Mark Fistric in a Habs jersey. He is extremely physical but also has enough ability to not become a liability.
I agree, having a +6 rating through 25 games with the OILERS shows something

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:37 PM

Hope Tinordi is ready. I want Tinordi to have the same appetite as McCarron. Eat Jarred. Eat.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticHab View Post
Kurtis Foster is the 6'5 version of Marc-Andre Bergeron, a great slap shot and nothing else. Soft as butter, can't defend and can't skate at all. There's a reason why he's been on so many teams ever since he broke his leg. I think I'd take Kostka before him which says a lot... Don't some people find it odd that Fistric couldn't cut it on a defense as horrible as the one that Edmonton iced this year? There's a reason why he's still unsigned people, he's a #7 at best.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:38 PM
MXD

I said a few times that I would have hoped Bergy would go on reclamation mode on Theo Peckham.

That's impossible at the moment, but Fistric is still available. Not great - probably won't have to be sent down until Emelin's comeback, and it's not like he'd be expansive.

Can the Leafs walk out on Mark Fraser's arbitration award?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:47 PM
PsychoticHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahH57 View Post
I agree, having a +6 rating through 25 games with the OILERS shows something
All I mean is that he is capable of moving the puck and is rarely out of position. Is he a superstar? No but you don't have to worry about him costing you to much on the ice.

Old
07-23-2013, 04:50 PM
PsychoticHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Kurtis Foster is the 6'5 version of Marc-Andre Bergeron, a great slap shot and nothing else. Soft as butter, can't defend and can't skate at all. There's a reason why he's been on so many teams ever since he broke his leg. I think I'd take Kostka before him which says a lot... Don't some people find it odd that Fistric couldn't cut it on a defense as horrible as the one that Edmonton iced this year? There's a reason why he's still unsigned people, he's a #7 at best.
Well, I'll admit I'm not a fan of Foster and I would "rather" not have him but depending who he replaces (Diaz if someone wants to overpay for him) I could live with Foster for a year or 2. He's is one dimensional but he would still be an improvement over Kaberle who in his brief playing time showed he could have been a #6 on our defense. (Sad I know)

Old
07-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Craig71

We need at least one maybe two physical defensemen to help the faster smaller guys that we now have. I would have been open to reuniting Komisarek with Markov especially seeing how little he would have to be paid. The guy has pride and will bounce back this year, he simply was not what the Leafs thought he was but was a perfect fit here with Markov and still would be. Could have given him one year and if it backfired, no big deal. Can Parros play D, we converted Streit to a forward so who knows.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote