HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A question for Nashville fans

Old
07-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Hockeytown999

vCash: 500
A question for Nashville fans

May be a bit sensitive I know, but I am curious at to the thoughts of those who watch them the most.

The team has dropped off in just about every area since the departure of Suter. How intergral was Suter to the success of this team his last season?

Many talk about the how the teams transition game and breakout suffered with the loss. What can be done to help fix this?
How excited are you to have Seth Jones coming in?

Hockeytown999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:57 AM
RCola88

vCash: 459
Obivously Suter was huge for us, since he was the other half of the top D pair in the NHL. However, I don't think his leaving effected us that much, it gave Josi the potential to take the spot and he has. The biggest reason for our terrible season was injury and unluckiness. I think this Preds team we have will come back and fight for a playoff spot.

Just for everyone who forgot before the injury bug got us we were 5th in the west. So, it's not like we are a bad team like Florida, just unlucky.

RCola88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:58 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Would we be a better team with Suter? Yes, he's a great defenseman. With Suter last year though, with the injuries we had up front and Rinne, we're still picking in the top 10.

We missed Suter's breakouts and his ability to hold the puck in the offensive zone.

However, Josi did a fantastic job replacing Suter on the top line despite his lack of experience.

What we needed was someone to replace Josi on Klein's line and we never really settled that need. So losing the depth hurt just as much as losing the talent especially with Josi emerging the way he did. Now we need Jones, Ekholm or Ellis to be able to handle true top 4 minutes with Klein.

Jones might be that guy as early as this season, but my bet is on Ekholm at first and Jones by the end. If Jones is what they say he is, our defense has to be one of the deepest in the NHL for a while, with Weber, Josi and Klein all locked up on long term deals.

Again, losing Suter hurt our defensive depth, but losing Fisher, Wilson, Bourque, Gaustad, Erat and Hornqvist for long periods had more to do with our downfall last season.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Iron Duke

An injury-plagued half-season is a pretty scant sample size to be gauging how much we've "dropped off." Frankly, we will probably be better on defense in the next season or two than we were during Suter's last season here, considering the development of Josi and the drafting of Jones. I think the departures of offensively skilled players like Erat and Kostitsyn are likely to have a bigger impact at this point.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Byrddog

For more than the first half of the short season the defense and goaltending was actually better than when Suter was here. The injury the Rinne had started the backslide. And when the forwards started going down the defense melted too. At the 20 game mark the team lead the league in GGA. It was simply a perfect storm, and one would expect the defense to be at the top of the league this year. There is nothing lacking really in the defense. The lone question is will Jones be able to fill the spot on the second pair. With any rookie theres questions, as highly touted as he is this is the NHL. The addition of Housley will further help the defense. Suters departure will be a forgotten memory a couple weeks into the season. Especially if the team can find some scoring.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

No losing $uter was not the reason for all those injuries. He is a distant memory and will only be thought of when Minnie is on the schedule.

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:46 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

lirl

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

lirl
schadenfreude !

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Fo Shea Shea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown999 View Post
May be a bit sensitive I know, but I am curious at to the thoughts of those who watch them the most.

The team has dropped off in just about every area since the departure of Suter. How intergral was Suter to the success of this team his last season?

Many talk about the how the teams transition game and breakout suffered with the loss. What can be done to help fix this?
Rushing to judgement about how the team suffered during a thrown together, injury filled, half season of play might be a little premature.

Fo Shea Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:34 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown999 View Post

as you can probably tell from the other responses, the loss of Suter and last seasons poor record were absolutely not cause and effect.

Had Suter been here we might have scored a few more goals due to his puck moving ability, but our defense honestly wouldnt have been noticably better once Josi settled in with Weber.

If Suter had been here and everything else stayed the same, we might have had 4-6 more points, but thats about it...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:13 PM
SeventyOneTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
For more than the first half of the short season the defense and goaltending was actually better than when Suter was here. The injury the Rinne had started the backslide. And when the forwards started going down the defense melted too. At the 20 game mark the team lead the league in GGA. It was simply a perfect storm, and one would expect the defense to be at the top of the league this year. There is nothing lacking really in the defense. The lone question is will Jones be able to fill the spot on the second pair. With any rookie theres questions, as highly touted as he is this is the NHL. The addition of Housley will further help the defense. Suters departure will be a forgotten memory a couple weeks into the season. Especially if the team can find some scoring.
By far the most optimistic post I have seen from you.

SeventyOneTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOneTN View Post
By far the most optimistic post I have seen from you.

When it comes to the defense theres nothing not to be optimistic. The problem will be scoring enough to win regularly. I hope that it can happen but at this point I do not really seen an improvement there other than an upgraded 4th line.

Teams are going to have a really tough time scoring on this team, if Jones has year comparable to Josi last year. If Stalberg, and Wilson can have 25 goals I would be much more optimistic. What were probably see ton of 1-0 or 2-1 games otherwise.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:22 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Probably the best post I've ever read from you.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Flgatorguy87

Quote:
You feeling alright...?

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote