Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Parise and Suter

Old
07-24-2013, 09:37 AM
ConorMcGregor

vCash: 50
Parise and Suter

Just a question for the Wild fans here who watch these two guys the most.

How happy are you with these two players since getting them. Making the playoffs for the first time in 5 years, which player do you credit the most with your overall improvements? And why?
What do these players bring to the table that improves the team?
The wild improved in just about every way. ES, PP and PK

ConorMcGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:44 AM
rynryn
Reluctant Optimist

a lot if not most fans (on this board anyway) knew we needed Suter more than we did Parise and I think last season bore out that expectation. parise was far from disappointing, but Suter's addition to the blueline highlighted just how horrible it was before he showed up. Well, Suter and Brodin. Either of Suter or Parise by themselves probably wouldn't have saved the season but the two of them together was enough to hold it together while the prospects get ready.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Parise was ridiculously good the first few weeks while Suter was playing poorly. Then they flipped, with Parise underachieving the rest of the way while Suter was the best defenseman in the NHL.

Suter and Brodin were most responsible for the Wild's improvement IMO.

I think Parise will bounce back next year if Yeo improves his matchups.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:08 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Parise was ridiculously good the first few weeks while Suter was playing poorly. Then they flipped, with Parise underachieving the rest of the way while Suter was the best defenseman in the NHL.

Suter and Brodin were most responsible for the Wild's improvement IMO.

I think Parise will bounce back next year if Yeo improves his matchups.
Parise finished the season basically on par with his career averages in goals and points....and that's without having a training camp or exhibition schedule to work with different players.

With one week of practice and a 48 game schedule, Yeo wasn't able to tinker has much with line combos as he could over a full 82 game schedule.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Short training camp and lack of practice time doesn't explain why he got worse after the first two weeks of the year.

Outside his 5-game explosion to start the season, he put up an 82-game pace of 25 goals and 55 points. Nice numbers, but not the 30 goals and 70 points or so he's expected to put up.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:17 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Short training camp and lack of practice time doesn't explain why he got worse after the first two weeks of the year.

Outside his 5-game explosion to start the season, he put up an 82-game pace of 25 goals and 55 points. Nice numbers, but not the 30 goals and 70 points or so he's expected to put up.
You can't pull those 5 goals out. At the end of the day, he DID put up a 30+ goal and 65 point pace. Every player goes through hot and cold streaks, it's just that a cold streak in a 48 game schedule is more magnified than one over an 82 game schedule. And yes, I do believe that basically NO training camp and lack of practice time does explain things. You can't just discount that. When did Yeo have an opportunity to really mix and match when every single game mattered more than then they would over a full 82 game schedule?

Old
07-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Minnewildsota

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
You can't pull those 5 goals out. At the end of the day, he DID put up a 30+ goal and 65 point pace. Every player goes through hot and cold streaks. And yes, I do believe that basically NO training camp and lack of practice time does explain things. You can't just discount that. When did Yeo have an opportunity to really mix and match when every single game mattered more than then they would over a full 82 game schedule?
But if you exclude the 5 games where he didn't have a goal, he would have been on pace for a record year.

Minnewildsota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:22 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
But if you exclude the 5 games where he didn't have a goal, he would have been on pace for a record year.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
You can't pull those 5 goals out. At the end of the day, he DID put up a 30+ goal and 65 point pace. Every player goes through hot and cold streaks, it's just that a cold streak in a 48 game schedule is more magnified than one over an 82 game schedule. And yes, I do believe that basically NO training camp and lack of practice time does explain things. You can't just discount that. When did Yeo have an opportunity to really mix and match when every single game mattered more than then they would over a full 82 game schedule?
That's all well and good, but still doesn't change the fact that he overachieved early and underachieved for most of the year.

Old
07-24-2013, 01:24 PM
OpRedDawn*

Quote:

Sure can.

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 04:24 PM
DANOZ28

hello hockeytown! i use 2 be a big detroit fan when we didnt have a team. dino was my fav alltime northstar & player thats why i picked detroit. suter was better than i imagined he could be, what a stud! parise was on pace for 30G however he could have played better in the playoffs. our lack of secondary scoring made it easy for other teams to focus on shutting down our top line. thats my one cent. cheers.

DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:18 PM
countrygentleman
The Kaptain Says ARR

Hard to really judge Parise when he was playing with Koivu all year. No centre in the league can limit a line's production the way Koivu does. Suter was phenomenal after a horrible, horrible, horrible start.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Haite
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
Hard to really judge Parise when he was playing with Koivu all year. No centre in the league can limit a line's production the way Koivu does.
Alright.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 241
Parise was good. Suter was better.

Quote:
Hard to really judge Parise when he was playing with Koivu all year. No centre in the league can limit a line's production the way Koivu does. Suter was phenomenal after a horrible, horrible, horrible start.
I'll direct you to this thread.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Sportsfan1

Considering how questionable our defense still is beyond Suter, I literally do not remember what life was like on D before he came in. It's like I don't want to remember.

They are everything we could hope for, couldn't be happier with both of them.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:08 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Considering how questionable our defense still is beyond Suter, I literally do not remember what life was like on D before he came in. It's like I don't want to remember.

They are everything we could hope for, couldn't be happier with both of them.
Didn't realize Brodin was questionable...

Actually... considering how Scandella played in the playoffs, if he keeps that up, we're not doing to bad.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Victorious Secret
Torchetti 4 Prez

While our defense individually is sub-par, together it is somewhat above-average. Once we get to average or above average pieces we'll start seeing a large change in the teams succes

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard

vCash: 827
Suter will be worth his contract for many, many years to come. Parise I'm not so sure of. With his style of play I question how many more years he'll be effective for.

Billy Mays Here* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:34 AM
DumbaTrain
YouWantSome?

Both of them are as good as we could dream of.. Suter is one of the best defenders in the world and it shows when he came in and turned around a stinking D cor with a rookie.. (That also played crazygood)

Parise plays his game the way he does and is now our clear face of the franchise since entering the team. Even if its Koivu, Coyle or Granlund that is going to center him i am sure that he will be a 0.90 to PPG player for us the next 2-3 seasons.

DumbaTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:07 AM
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
Both of them are as good as we could dream of.. Suter is one of the best defenders in the world and it shows when he came in and turned around a stinking D cor with a rookie.. (That also played crazygood)

Parise plays his game the way he does and is now our clear face of the franchise since entering the team. Even if its Koivu, Coyle or Granlund that is going to center him i am sure that he will be a 0.90 to PPG player for us the next 2-3 seasons.
He wasn't even a .90 player for us this year, or even .80 for that matter, and that was playing on a line with a healthy Koivu for the entire season.

Billy Mays Here* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:40 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
That's a loaded question. Koivu has been an anchor as a top line center for a while. He's talented but he's finicky. He'll score points but he struggles to make other players around him better. Last year was one of his better years in what? 3-4 years? Koivu is good but I think he's better suited as a 2nd or 3rd line center. Focus more on defense than producing points.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Puhis
@iPuhis

Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
That's a loaded question. Koivu has been an anchor as a top line center for a while. He's talented but he's finicky. He'll score points but he struggles to make other players around him better. Last year was one of his better years in what? 3-4 years? Koivu is good but I think he's better suited as a 2nd or 3rd line center. Focus more on defense than producing points.
I absolutely agree with you. Having Koivu as our #2C would be the best case scenario. However, who would be our #1C? Granlund? Not very soon at least. Haula? A long shot. Phillips? Even bigger of a project. Coyle? Very similar to Koivu, and worse offensively. Graovac? A really long shot, not in 3-4 years at least.

I don't think we'll trade for a #1C either. Too expensive, and no really good ones in the market. Instead of having #1 line and clear-cut #1C, Wild should have 1A and 1B approach in terms of the top-6. We have almost a surplus of top-6 wingers, yet we only have one center for them. Therefore, we need balance. I'd like to see something like:

Parise - Coyle - Heatley
Niederreiter/Zucker - Koivu - Pominville
Granlund - Brodziak - Cooke

Of course, Coyle being our #1C is a LONG shot, but then again, Parise and Heatley could be a lethal combination on his wings. His defensive ability should be good enough, but his ability to play C in NHL is questionable at least.

As for the 2nd line, Koivu and Pommer should be an interesting combination. Two captains, roughly the same age and similar playing styles as well. Pommer is smaller, but also faster. That would also switch the playmaking duty from Koivu to Pominville, allowing Koivu to play more defensively, which suits his style better. Put a fast shooter on their wing, and watch them light up the sky.

Looking at the 3rd unit, some of you are going "oh you can't play Granlund on the 3rd line, just look what happened to Sheppard!" and you wouldn't be wrong. However, 3rd line in this team is quite different from 4th line a few years back. Granlund would play with two bigger bodies who are very solid defensively, can chip in offensively and - most importantly - give FBJ the room he needs. While Granlund might not fit into the defensive role that 3rd line usually plays, he will bring some offense, get maybe a little easier match-ups and serve Brodz and Cooke with some of those fluttering saucers he loves so much. Of course, having Cooke in his line should also reduce the likelihood of someone taking a run at him.

As for the topic? Parise was worth his weight in gold at the start of the season, and Suter later when he was paired with Brodin. However, Suter weighs more.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Hard to really judge Parise when he was playing with Koivu all year. No centre in the league can limit a line's production the way Koivu does.
You don't watch a lot of other teams, do you?

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's not that he limits production so much as he doesn't generate production. His puck possession game is fine, he doesn't make a lot of mistakes, he's strong as hell both physically and with the puck, but he very rarely will drive the net or take any shot he doesn't think is perfect.

Old
07-25-2013, 01:09 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
And i'm willing to bet half the teams in the league are saying the same thing about their first line center. He is an average first line center, so of course he would be an elite 2nd liner. Fact is, Koivu would be the 1st line center on half the teams in the league.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote