Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards vs Yeo

Old
07-24-2013, 09:57 AM
kfan22

vCash: 500
Richards vs Yeo

Just wanted to see what Wild fans are thinking after last season. Richards took a team that was supposed to Finish 15th in the conference and had them in the Playoff hunt until the last day of the season. Yeo had a team with much higher expectations and more talent and squeeked into the Playoffs on the last day. I know there are much better coaches out there than both Richards and Yeo but if you had to choose one coach for next year between Richards and Yeo who would you pick for the Wild and why?

kfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:04 AM
rynryn
Reluctant Optimist

vCash: 50
should be a poll?

richards cause Minnesota.

j/k. yeo. One, I don't know if the Jackets were expected to finish 15th. two, "much higher"...bubble team is "much higher"? There were some people that thought we'd finish higher but for most being a bubble team was about what they thought we'd be. and we were.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The team was terrible under Richards and alternating between awesome and terrible under Yeo.

My vote is for a coach who knows what he's doing BEFORE he gets the job.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
I saw a couple Columbus games down the stretch, and liked what I saw - they reminded me of the Wild when they had their good patch.

Maybe Richards has figured something out since he was coach here.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm sure he did. He's going to be an assistant for the US team as well. Not sure why Fletcher felt like developing head coaches rather than hiring them.

Old
07-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Wild33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
Just wanted to see what Wild fans are thinking after last season. Richards took a team that was supposed to Finish 15th in the conference and had them in the Playoff hunt until the last day of the season. Yeo had a team with much higher expectations and more talent and squeeked into the Playoffs on the last day. I know there are much better coaches out there than both Richards and Yeo but if you had to choose one coach for next year between Richards and Yeo who would you pick for the Wild and why?
I'd stick with Yeo. His system works when you play it and I know he will be better for the young guys coming up.

Richards is also a good coach but I'll say last year falls under the find me a good goalie and I'll find you a good coach.

Wild33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:57 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
I don't know, I haven't had a chance to look at the video yet...

I'll take Yeo thank you very much.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:11 AM
forthewild

Too early to tell, Richards didn't have the team that Yeo had and this past season i'm going to take with a licking block of salt. Ask me half way through next year, or at least after 25 games because thats what I feel Yeo should get to prove his ****.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:13 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The team was terrible under Richards and alternating between awesome and terrible under Yeo.

My vote is for a coach who knows what he's doing BEFORE he gets the job.
I think Yeo knows what he's doing...the worst thing an organization can do is continually fire coach after coach even if they go through a rocky stretch.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:23 AM
kfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I think Yeo knows what he's doing...the worst thing an organization can do is continually fire coach after coach even if they go through a rocky stretch.
Do you think Richards got a fair shot in 2 years with little talent?

Old
07-24-2013, 11:25 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Do you think Richards got a fair shot in 2 years with little talent?
No I don't.

That being said, my major criticism of Richards was that he refused to adapt his system to the talent level he had. You can go with run and gun hockey when you don't have any run and gun players.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:35 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

The thing that bugged most of us when Richards was here, he'd be asked about the game they just played, saw what we all saw, but would never have any answers to any questions.

Hence my sarcasm earlier in the thread. That was always the answer in post game from Richards.

He didn't know what was happening in front of him, thus couldn't ever adjust.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
I agree that you want to keep a coach in place, even if they hit some rough patches. But it's worse to keep a bad coach in his position than it is to have a temporary setback to install a good, proven coach.

If Yeo can't do the job this year, the entire front office and coaching staff needs to be cleaned out and some veterans need to be put into place. Trying to find young, talented, cheap hockey ops people is fine when you have basically nothing to work with (like the team in 2009) but when you have big time money sunk into players like Parise, Suter, and Koivu, you can't take as many risks.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
The thing that bugged most of us when Richards was here, he'd be asked about the game they just played, saw what we all saw, but would never have any answers to any questions.

Hence my sarcasm earlier in the thread. That was always the answer in post game from Richards.

True, but Yeo gets a lot of credit for guys "playing his system" when they win and very little heat or criticism when the team goes into the tailspin. Russo kept going to bat for him over and over the last two years but didn't write anything critical.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:42 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Disagree that the front office needs to be cleaned out if Yeo fails. Fletcher has done a great job in every other aspect of building this team. No reason to fire him for having to look for another coach.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Dudicles

Quote:

I think this is what got him fired. He gave the impression that he had no idea what he was doing. That would scare the heck out of me if I were managing the team. Your team leader (coach) needs to show some confidence and have a plan. Even if the plan sucks...at least have one!

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:44 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
True, but Yeo gets a lot of credit for guys "playing his system" when they win and very little heat or criticism when the team goes into the tailspin. Russo kept going to bat for him over and over the last two years but didn't write anything critical.
I'm not saying Yeo doesn't have his faults, but this thread was asking about Yeo and Richards... Yeo every damn time between these two!

Old
07-24-2013, 11:45 AM
kfan22

Quote:
Disagree that the front office needs to be cleaned out if Yeo fails. Fletcher has done a great job in every other aspect of building this team. No reason to fire him for having to look for another coach.

Isnt that just as much part of his job as drafting and player decisions? If he had hired a Tippet or Hitchcock originally this organization might be a couple years ahead of where they are now?

Old
07-24-2013, 11:46 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
I agree that you want to keep a coach in place, even if they hit some rough patches. But it's worse to keep a bad coach in his position than it is to have a temporary setback to install a good, proven coach.

If Yeo can't do the job this year, the entire front office and coaching staff needs to be cleaned out and some veterans need to be put into place. Trying to find young, talented, cheap hockey ops people is fine when you have basically nothing to work with (like the team in 2009) but when you have big time money sunk into players like Parise, Suter, and Koivu, you can't take as many risks.
Fletcher seems to want to follow the blueprint of his old boss Ray Shero. Shero took a chance with Dan Bylsma and it paid off for the Penguins. And they had big time money sunk into big time players when that hire was made.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Dudicles

Quote:
[/B]

Isnt that just as much part of his job as drafting and player decisions? If he had hired a Tippet or Hitchcock originally this organization might be a couple years ahead of where they are now?
They could be. But at the same time, if someone does well at (hypothetically) 75% of their job, do you fire them because of the 25%, or do you give them some time/help/advice on how to get better at the 25%?

With some employees, it may make more sense to allow them to learn on the job, based on what they've shown in other areas. Different employees...sometimes they just aren't any good, or they aren't a good fit for you.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:53 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
[/B]

Yes, it's one part of a job that involves so much more. Handling the cap, finding the right fee agents, hiring the right scouts, drafting the right players, getting the right development staff, making the right development decisions, making the right roster moves on the fly hiring a coach...etc etc etc, they are all part of the job.

Everyone has their weak points, but that doesn't mean you fire someone great at everything but one of those imo. Just because you swing and miss twice doesn't mean you will forever swing and miss.

Especially when you do your job so well in every other area, it will help whoever comes in to have the best chance at success themselves.

Fletcher imo is one of the best gm's in the league. You get a good one, you have to hold on to him, otherwise you have to sift through the DR's and Feaster's of the world.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Three of four years with the team he's missed the playoffs and one year he did make it was a tiebreaker on the last day of the season. I wouldn't say he's done a "great job" building the team yet.

Quote:
Fletcher seems to want to follow the blueprint of his old boss Ray Shero. Shero took a chance with Dan Bylsma and it paid off for the Penguins. And they had big time money sunk into big time players when that hire was made.
They made the move and won the Cup right away. Clearly Bylsma was the right answer for the team. We're at two years now with Yeo waiting for the dividends to pay out.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:59 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Yeo. Hands down.

Richards would often not remember that he had last change during home games until about halfway through the second period.

Yeo wants his roster to play a certain way and can play the matching game well. Unfortunately, the shortened season saw him hamstrung with a roster that couldn't do it. The first line was fine, until Heatley got knocked out. He adapted to a pure north south second line (zucker-cullen-setoguchi) until Cullen was injured. His third line was the suck because Brodziak was never at 100%...

/shrug

Yeo. Hands down.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Yeo. Hands down.

Richards would often not remember that he had last change during home games until about halfway through the second period.

Yeo wants his roster to play a certain way and can play the matching game well. Unfortunately, the shortened season saw him hamstrung with a roster that couldn't do it. The first line was fine, until Heatley got knocked out. He adapted to a pure north south second line (zucker-cullen-setoguchi) until Cullen was injured. His third line was the suck because Brodziak was never at 100%...

/shrug

Yeo. Hands down.
So Yeo's system worked until Heatley, Cullen, and Brodziak weren't 100%? Doesn't that mean they should get the credit and not him?

Old
07-24-2013, 12:01 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Regarding Fletcher and the job he's done...

Compare the roster and the prospect pool now with the one he was left with. If you don't seen an improvment, you're lying to yourself. You don't make a change when things are trending in the right direction, just because it's not happening as quick as you like.

Regarding Yeo and the job he's done...

Outside of the way he mishandled Backstrom last season, I think he's done a good enough job to keep him around as long as things continue trending in the right direction, same as Fletcher.