Notices

Potential Olympic Rosters for Sochi

Old
07-20-2013, 09:04 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 500
Potential Olympic Rosters for Sochi

Since it's official the NHL is sending players to the Olympics, figured it'd be good to have a thread dedicated to the potential roster lineups now that speculation on those rosters is starting to get into gear.

Here's Puck Daddy's prediction on Yahoo for team USA...

Note, he has Pominville making the roster as one of the extra forwards.

Quote:
Zach Parise - Joe Pavelski - Patrick Kane

Ryan Callahan - David Backes - Phil Kessel

Max Pacioretty - Ryan Kesler - Bobby Ryan

James van Riemsdyk - Paul Stastny - Dustin Brown

Extras: Jason Pominville, Derek Stepan

Ryan Suter - Kevin Shattenkirk

Keith Yandle - Ryan McDonagh

Paul Martin - Dustin Byfuglien

Extra: Jack Johnson, Justin Faulk

Jimmy Howard

Jonathan Quick

Craig Anderson

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:14 PM
J22*

vCash: 50
That article is clearly written by a "stat guy" and not somebody who actually understands the game. I dont really mind the 14 forwards that he picked, but cant stand his lines.

The D and Goalies are were he clearly proves his ignorance. You simply cant have all 3 of Shattenkirk, Yandle, and Byfuglien in the lineup at the same time. Somebody has to be able to kill penalties. I dont like Howard's chances to make the team and cant see any way that Anderson does.

My lineup if I were in charge.

Parise- Stastny - Kane
Ryan - Stepan - Kessel
Brown - Kesler - Backes- (have fun with that line)
Pacioretty- Pavelski- Callahan/Pominville/Oshie

Suter - Shattenkirk
Yandle - Mcdonaugh
Martin - JJ/EJ/Faulk/Carlson

Quick
Schneider
Miller

J22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:20 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

It's going to be hard for Schneider to get on the team being that he's a backup.

Quick is the likely starter for sure, but if Anderson comes back and plays as well as he did before his injury this past season, you know he will be there.

Old
07-20-2013, 10:43 PM
HDZx

My Team USA lineup:

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Ryan - Stastny - Kessel
Backes - Stepan - Brown
Pacioretty - Pavelski - Pominville

Suter - Shattenkirk
Mcdonaugh - Yandle
Martin - Johnson

Quick
Miller
Howard

HDZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:45 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

No Callahan?!?!

Old
07-20-2013, 11:02 PM
HDZx

Forgot about Callahan XD

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Ryan - Stastny - Kessel
JVR - Stepan/Backes - Callahan
Pacioretty/Stepan/Backes - Pavelski - Pominville

Suter - Shattenkirk
Mcdonaugh - Yandle
Martin - Johnson

Quick
Miller
Howard

We have a very good goalie situation IMO, Quick is great under pressure, Miller is proven to be solid, and Howard has impressed a ton. We also have Schneider and some others in the works if need be.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:52 AM
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard

vCash: 827
You're all putting Stastny over Pavelski? Da ****? I see Kane switching back to LW for the Olympics since the U.S. is much, much deeper on the right side then they are on the left. Kane, Pommers, Kessel, Brown, Ryan, and Callahan are all RWs, Pavelski plays RW and C for the Sharks, and there's been talk that Backes will be switching to wing for the Blues.

Parise - Kesler - Kessel
Kane - Pavelski - Ryan
Pacioretty - Stepan - Brown
JVR - Backes - Callahan
Stastny/Pommers

Defense is interesting. The U.S. only has two right-handed d-men (I don't see E. Johnson starting, maybe not even making the roster), and one of them is a tub of lard that many people might not be happy to see on the Olympic team. That being said, assuming he doesn't get any fatter or more out of shape, I think he makes the team. Interested to see which LH d-man they play on the right side, much like Brodin playing on Suter's right side for us.

Suter - Mcdonagh
Yandle - Byfuglien
J. Johnson - Shattenkirk
Martin/E. Johnson

Miller (yes, Miller over Quick as the starter)
Quick
Howard/Schneider

Miller was unbelievable in the 2010 Olympics. He's still a very good goaltender playing for a poor team with a poor defense in front of him. He's also use to facing much more work during a game than Quick is.

Billy Mays Here* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:54 AM
BagHead

Really hope Parise isn't combined with both Kesler and Kessel. I think the special K's could make a great team, but teaming them with Praise at that point is almost redundant. Fast snipers can only do so much for each other. I'd like to see:

Praise(Parise) - Pavelski - Kane
Paccy - Kesler - B. Ryan/Kessel
Pominville - Stepan/Stastny - B. Ryan/Kessel (3A)
Callahan - Backes - Brown (3B)

Forward lines, it gives us a couple speedy guys on the top line, and a strong 2-way center, 2nd line has shooters and speed. Much like the Wild's 2nd last year, only way better. 3rd is a good 2 way line, with either a speedster sniper, or a PWF, whichever ends up working better, and 4th is a defensively responsible bruiser line that can also chip in more than the occasional goal.

Defense:

Suter - Yandle
McDonaugh/E. Johnson - J. Johnson
Shattenkirk - Dustin Byfuglien
McDonaugh/ Orpik

This isn't intended to be a knock on Big Buff. Suter was amazing for us last Olympics, and Yandle is amazing, period. They are without doubt our best two defensemen. McDonaugh is awesome, and a Minnesotan (joke!) and very good defensively. Jack Johnson is less good defensively, but is good physically and offensively, and in my opinion proved himself last Olympics. I think he'll do well with McDonaugh. Watch some video, JJ was truly was one of our best defensemen.
Gleason won't be back, and that's alright. He replaced Komi well, but we're past that need on our defense. EJ is big, bad, and full of laden offensive potential. He doesn't let it all loose very often, but he has the shot and the pass. Johnson and Johnson did pretty well last Olympics, if I'm remembering correctly. If not, please correct me. If one of the Johnson's doesn't make it, McDonaugh certainly will. If they both do make it, McDonaugh will take Martin's place as a healthy scratch/replacement player.
Lastly, Buff and Shattenkirk will shine. Shattenkirk (William Shatner, Captain Kirk? Either way he's awesome!) is a smart kid and knows what to do with the puck, and Buff knows to shoot often and always with his cannon. That last pairing is a mobile defenseman and a power forward on defense. It will work at least most of the time. I don't think there's a way either of these players don't make the squad, but I DO think they will be bottom pairing with sheltered minutes.

Goalies:
Quick
Schneider
Howard

Quick is the man to beat if you're a goalie. Honestly, even if Thomas and Miller had seasons comparable to their best, I don't think they'll beat out either Quick or Schneider. Howard's spot is fair game, however. Thomas, Miller and Anderson all have a shot at it, and if they have a shot at that, they have a shot at seeing real, Olympic action.

Last edited by BagHead: 07-21-2013 at 06:02 AM.
BagHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Hagged

Roster predictions for team Finland:

FiLe on Granlund's and Vatanen's chances to make the team if they don't have yet made their NHL teams (Minnesota, Anaheim for Vatanen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Vatanen and Granlund are slated to make it no matter whether they play with the big club or in the minors. In fact, they don't even need the additional NHL experience to be highly effective. Sochi will be on big ice, and in that regard both are serious studs already with nothing left to prove.
Then there is a prediction by Eidyia, the amount of young players really hit my eye there. Granlund (20), Vatanen(21), Barkov(18), Ristolainen(19). This is the only prediction with Ristolainen I could find. Most of the time Barkov is on the fourth line with Komarov and Bergenheim like Eidya also predicted. But there is one poster who thinks that a Selanne-Barkov-Granlund could be effective on the big ice. I'd tend to agree, aside from Selanne, who I think has lost his most valuable asset on the big ice, speed. But putting Barkov and Granlund on the same line could be a wise decision just based on Barkov's superior defensive game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidyia View Post
Team Finland in Sochi:

JOKINEN M.KOIVU RUUTU
(Pittsburg, NHL) (Minnesota, NHL) (Carolina, NHL)

SELÄNNE FILPPULA GRANLUND
(Anaheim, NHL) (Tampa Bay, NHL) (Minnesota, NHL)

KORPIKOSKI S.KOIVU LEINO
(Phoenix, NHL) (Anaheim, NHL) (Buffalo, NHL)

BERGENHEIM BARKOV KOMAROV
(Florida, NHL) (Florida, KHL) (Dynamo Moscow, KHL)

TIMONEN SALO
(Philly, NLH) (Tampa Bay, NHL)

PITKÄNEN RISTOLAINEN
(Carolina, NHL) (Buffalo, NHL)

VATANEN LYDMAN
(Anaheim, NHL) (Anaheim, NHL)

Rask (Boston Bruins)
Rinne (Nashville Predators)
Niemi (San Jose Sharks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
What I think it currently looks like:

Rinne/Rask/Niemi

Pitkänen - Lydman
Timonen - Salo
Väänänen - Vatanen
XXX - YYY

Bottom pairing will be any selection of whatever top euro d-men we have or possibly some youngster if he manages to get NHL cred. Niskala, Järvinen, Jaakola, Kukkonen, Melart, Ristolainen, Määttä, Hakanpää, etc. (Note: Not that I personally consider some listed here as serious candidates, but Erkka may disagree.)

Filppula - M.Koivu - Ruutu
Korpikoski - O.Jokinen/Kontiola - Granlund
J.Jokinen - S.Koivu - XXX
Komarov - YYY - Bergenheim

XXX = Selänne, if he goes for one mo' and is in form. If not, then a guy like Aaltonen, Leino or as a long shot, Armia.

YYY = Any centerman who can play solid two-way game. Options abound. Barkov possible, as is Kapanen or some other KHL centre.

So all in all the only really gold-worthy aspect of team Finland is it's goaltending. (Rask-Rinne-Lehtonen-Niemi) All of which arguably fit the NHL top ten goaltenders at the moment.

The core players seem to be either too old or too young. The most obvious being Selanne-S.Koivu, which has been the most effective duo in Olympic level, but won't be a difference maker any more. Defense as a whole would have looked good maybe 8 years ago, when Timonen, Salo , Lydman and Vaananen were at their prime and there whould have been guys like Teppo Numminen and Petteri Nummelin to fill out the top 4.

Aside from Eidyia's prediction being the team Finland, and all of the young players taking the steps forward, I can't see a medal coming to that team.

EDIT: This is the stage where I can see Granlund taking his last step, gaining his confidence against the best. If he outplays NHL-stars being it on the big ice won't change the fact that Granlund sees he can play better than the NHL stars of other nations. Coming back from Olympics with good self-esteem would maybe be the goal of the tournament for Granlund.

EDIT2: actually for the goalies Niklas Backstrom wouldn't be a bad choice either. In 2010 he had GAA of 1.09 and svs% .952 playing as the 2nd goalie behind Kiprusoff despite of having a below average NHL season performance that year. But Finland won't be having problems finding a goalie, there could be five injuries to the best goalies and still team finland would have a star goalie to take their spot, in this case Karri Ramo, a 2 time KHL allstar goalie.

Actually Teppo Numminen was still there 8 years ago in Torino, here is his interview right after the Final game where he says that silver is a won medal and they can be proud of that.

Interviewer: Around the players neck here in Torino are hanging valuable silver medals. As we can say the silver is not a shame after this final. Next to me is standing one of the most experienced player of Finnish team, Teppo Numminen.
Teppo, you have a new silver medal around your neck. What are the topmost feelings after the game?

Teppo: Well, pretty fuzzy. Of course tired and we have a long journey behind. But we fought well. *almost crying*

Interviewer: Surely you're very emotional right now...If we still try to analyze a little todays final..Why didn't Finland quite reach the desired level?

Teppo: Maybe we didn't skate as well as in the earlier games. Just didn't skate well enough to win. We had our places in the end but it wasn't enough. But the team fought till the end and we can be proud of that.

Interviewer: Teppo, despite of everything this silver is apparently won.

Teppo: It is, yeah. Uh, it is... This is *sigh*...

Interviewer: Thank you very much.

Last edited by Hagged: 07-21-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:47 AM
TZM
Par too easy

I highly doubt that Barkov wins the 4th line center spot from J.Lehterä. Lehterä is probably the best current Finnish play maker. I hope Barkov would play so well he'd take the spot, 'cos Lehterä hasn't been all that great in international games.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:53 AM
TZM
Par too easy

Here's preliminary Team Canada:

Goalies

Roberto Luongo, Vancouver Canucks
Corey Crawford, Chicago Blackhawks
Carey Price, Montreal Canadiens

Defensemen

Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks
Drew Doughty, Los Angeles Kings
Shea Weber, Nashville Predators
P.K. Subban, Montreal Canadiens
Brent Seabrook, Chicago Blackhawks
Kris Letang, Pittsburgh Penguins
Dan Girardi, New York Rangers
Alex Pietrangelo, St Louis Blues

Forwards

Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins
Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks
Eric Staal, Carolina Hurricanes
Ryan Getzlaf, Anaheim Ducks
Corey Perry, Anaheim Ducks
Rick Nash, New York Rangers
Mike Richards, Los Angeles Kings
Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins
Martin St. Louis, Tampa Bay Lightning
Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning
Claude Giroux, Philadelphia Flyers
John Tavares, New York Islanders
Patrick Sharp, Chicago Blackhawks
Jamie Benn, Dallas Stars

Pretty weak group of guys...

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:37 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
I highly doubt that Barkov wins the 4th line center spot from J.Lehterä. Lehterä is probably the best current Finnish play maker. I hope Barkov would play so well he'd take the spot, 'cos Lehterä hasn't been all that great in international games.
Lehterä has yet to prove that he can be a good NT player. Right now he's just a good KHL player who's been underwhelming in the NT for years. In addition to that, he can't defend well enough to be a 4th line center. There are going to be role players on the team and Lehterä doesn't fill the role of a 4th line center. I'm willing to bet that the 4th line center will either be N. Kapanen or Barkov, while at the moment I don't see a place for Lehterä at all.

Whether he's the best Finnish playmaker currently doesn't matter if he can't bring anything to the table in the NHL or in the NT. And since he turned down his NHL contract, his only shot is to be the 2nd coming of Jesus in EHT and even then he wouldn't be a lock.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Engebretson

vCash: 1387
Miller will probably get in based off his last Olympics alone. Even if he's a backup, that kind of experience is invaluable.

Defense and goaltending is what really made team USA in 2010. Replacing Rafalski is going to be tough but adding Shattenkirk, McDonagh, and Yandle could be very beneficial. Not sure Buff gets on the team but maybe he impresses management. Here's how I see it:

Parise-Pavelski-Callahan
Kane-Kesler-Kessel
Brown-Backes-Ryan
Pacioretty-Stastny-Pommers

Ex: Stepan, JVR

Suter-Shattenkirk
Yandle-McDonagh
J.Johnson-Bogosian

Ex: EJ, Martin

Quick
Miller
Schneider

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Metalcommand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
Roster predictions for team Finland:

FiLe on Granlund's and Vatanen's chances to make the team if they don't have yet made their NHL teams (Minnesota, Anaheim for Vatanen).

Then there is a prediction by Eidyia, the amount of young players really hit my eye there. Granlund (20), Vatanen(21), Barkov(18), Ristolainen(19). This is the only prediction with Ristolainen I could find. Most of the time Barkov is on the fourth line with Komarov and Bergenheim like Eidya also predicted. But there is one poster who thinks that a Selanne-Barkov-Granlund could be effective on the big ice. I'd tend to agree, aside from Selanne, who I think has lost his most valuable asset on the big ice, speed. But putting Barkov and Granlund on the same line could be a wise decision just based on Barkov's superior defensive game.

So all in all the only really gold-worthy aspect of team Finland is it's goaltending. (Rask-Rinne-Lehtonen-Niemi) All of which arguably fit the NHL top ten goaltenders at the moment.

The core players seem to be either too old or too young. The most obvious being Selanne-S.Koivu, which has been the most effective duo in Olympic level, but won't be a difference maker any more. Defense as a whole would have looked good maybe 8 years ago, when Timonen, Salo , Lydman and Vaananen were at their prime and there whould have been guys like Teppo Numminen and Petteri Nummelin to fill out the top 4.

Aside from Eidyia's prediction being the team Finland, and all of the young players taking the steps forward, I can't see a medal coming to that team.

EDIT: This is the stage where I can see Granlund taking his last step, gaining his confidence against the best. If he outplays NHL-stars being it on the big ice won't change the fact that Granlund sees he can play better than the NHL stars of other nations. Coming back from Olympics with good self-esteem would maybe be the goal of the tournament for Granlund.

EDIT2: actually for the goalies Niklas Backstrom wouldn't be a bad choice either. In 2010 he had GAA of 1.09 and svs% .952 playing as the 2nd goalie behind Kiprusoff despite of having a below average NHL season performance that year. But Finland won't be having problems finding a goalie, there could be five injuries to the best goalies and still team finland would have a star goalie to take their spot, in this case Karri Ramo, a 2 time KHL allstar goalie.

Actually Teppo Numminen was still there 8 years ago in Torino, here is his interview right after the Final game where he says that silver is a won medal and they can be proud of that.

Interviewer: Around the players neck here in Torino are hanging valuable silver medals. As we can say the silver is not a shame after this final. Next to me is standing one of the most experienced player of Finnish team, Teppo Numminen.
Teppo, you have a new silver medal around your neck. What are the topmost feelings after the game?

Teppo: Well, pretty fuzzy. Of course tired and we have a long journey behind. But we fought well. *almost crying*

Interviewer: Surely you're very emotional right now...If we still try to analyze a little todays final..Why didn't Finland quite reach the desired level?

Teppo: Maybe we didn't skate as well as in the earlier games. Just didn't skate well enough to win. We had our places in the end but it wasn't enough. But the team fought till the end and we can be proud of that.

Interviewer: Teppo, despite of everything this silver is apparently won.

Teppo: It is, yeah. Uh, it is... This is *sigh*...

Interviewer: Thank you very much.
To this day I still refuse to watch that video. It just hurts too much.

Metalcommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:37 AM
forthewild

am I the only guy here who would take Stepan over Stasny on the team? stepan is a much better player in my opinion, for a top 6 spot or a bottom 6 spot. I just don't see Stasny as a better player.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Engebretson

vCash: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
am I the only guy here who would take Stepan over Stasny on the team? stepan is a much better player in my opinion, for a top 6 spot or a bottom 6 spot. I just don't see Stasny as a better player.
In 2018, I think we'll see Stepan as a lock for top 6. Right now, I think Stastny gets the nod over Stepan based on his international experience. Stepan could very well earn a spot and Stastny could be the extra, but I give Stastny the nod for now.

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcommand View Post
To this day I still refuse to watch that video. It just hurts too much.
It hurts and it makes me angry. Finland was the best team in that tournament and we should've won the final. There's no excuse for the fact that they played their worst game in the Olympic final. I'm still disappointed in Erkka, Saku, Teemu and co. for what happened. Of course I feel bad for them too, but I'm also disappointed. It was the chance of a lifetime for all of them, and for some like Teppo, it was also the last chance they ever got to win something great internationally. This disgrace of a game was the last game Teppo ever played for Finland.

We didn't win the silver (no matter what Teppo or anyone says), we lost the gold. Who knows when there will be another chance like that to win in the Olympics. Hopefully someday.

Last edited by Gaps: 07-21-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old
07-21-2013, 01:06 PM
bigplay41*

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
No Blake Wheeler or Zach Bogosian?

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 01:50 PM
youvegotit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
No Blake Wheeler or Zach Bogosian?
Probably not.

Think Enstrom, Joker and Frolik are more likely from you guys.

youvegotit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
We didn't win the silver (no matter what Teppo or anyone says), we lost the gold. Who knows when there will be another chance like that to win in the Olympics. Hopefully someday.
Never, Finland will never win in the Olympics. Here is a perfect video that shows, what team Finland is about. It is about achieving the strongest emotions of loss. And the whole nation feels it. Every Olympics since 88. "'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this life". Oh how beautiful this video is, a piece of art. Semi-related to the topic, since most of the team Finland is returnees. At least some are. And at least they won't win the tournament.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
Never, Finland will never win in the Olympics. Here is a perfect video that shows, what team Finland is about. It is about achieving the strongest emotions of loss. And the whole nation feels it. Every Olympics since 88. "'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this life". Oh how beautiful this video is, a piece of art. Semi-related to the topic, since most of the team Finland is returnees. At least some are. And at least they won't win the tournament.

I don't believe that. But I do think that every single one of the "old guns" (meaning Teemu, Saku, Timonen etc.) or the so-called golden generation needs to be out for there to be another shot. They're way past their primes and have lost too many big games internationally. Man, Jarkko Ruutu (who is on the preliminary roster for Sochi for reasons I don't understand one bit) has lost the Olympic final, World Cup final, World Championship final AND the Stanley Cup final.

Old
07-21-2013, 08:43 PM
HDZx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
You're all putting Stastny over Pavelski? Da ****? I see Kane switching back to LW for the Olympics since the U.S. is much, much deeper on the right side then they are on the left. Kane, Pommers, Kessel, Brown, Ryan, and Callahan are all RWs, Pavelski plays RW and C for the Sharks, and there's been talk that Backes will be switching to wing for the Blues.

Parise - Kesler - Kessel
Kane - Pavelski - Ryan
Pacioretty - Stepan - Brown
JVR - Backes - Callahan
Stastny/Pommers

Defense is interesting. The U.S. only has two right-handed d-men (I don't see E. Johnson starting, maybe not even making the roster), and one of them is a tub of lard that many people might not be happy to see on the Olympic team. That being said, assuming he doesn't get any fatter or more out of shape, I think he makes the team. Interested to see which LH d-man they play on the right side, much like Brodin playing on Suter's right side for us.

Suter - Mcdonagh
Yandle - Byfuglien
J. Johnson - Shattenkirk
Martin/E. Johnson

Miller (yes, Miller over Quick as the starter)
Quick
Howard/Schneider

Miller was unbelievable in the 2010 Olympics. He's still a very good goaltender playing for a poor team with a poor defense in front of him. He's also use to facing much more work during a game than Quick is.
I don't recall lines being determined by how good a player is? It's called rolling four lines and generating offense on each, using whatever players that work with each other.

Old
07-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Parise - Stastny - Ryan
Kane - Kesler (if healthy) - Kessel
Pacioretty - Backes - Brown
JVR - Pavelski - Callahan
Pominville

Suter - Yandle
McDonagh - Shattenkirk
J. Johnson - E. Johnson
Carlson

Quick
Howard
Schneider

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Vashanesh
Nope.

I gotta ask, why do people want Stastny in the top-6?

He's done 20/30 2 out of the last 3 seasons, and he was just plain bad in the lockout shortened season.

He doesn't bring a two-way pedigree like someone like Pavelski does - and Pav out-scores him as well.

I would argue Stepan has made a better case for himself, and of course there's Kesler. I just don't understand why Stastny is getting a pass for a lot of people.

Anyone care to make a case for Stastny being in the top-6 over Pavelski, Kesler, Backes or Stepan?

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:05 PM
tyratoku

We can officially rule out Pominville now. He was not even invited to camp.

We have:

United States | Ryan Suter, Zach Parise
Finland | Mikko Koivu, Niklas Backstrom, Mikael Granlund
Sweden | Jonas Brodin

Switzerland has not released their camp roster yet.

tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote