HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Should NHL Teams have the Rights to Sue Players for ditching Contracts?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-30-2013, 07:30 PM
  #1
varano
Registered User
 
varano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 811
vCash: 500
Should NHL Teams have the Rights to Sue Players for ditching Contracts?

In the case of Ilya Kovalchuk, do you feel the Devils should have the right to sue for breach of contract and future damage to the team?

Just curious of peoples thoughts on this.

As a team, they traded assets and draft picks for him and he committed to a 15 year contract from there.

varano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 07:42 PM
  #2
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by varano View Post
In the case of Ilya Kovalchuk, do you feel the Devils should have the right to sue for breach of contract and future damage to the team?

Just curious of peoples thoughts on this.

As a team, they traded assets and draft picks for him and he committed to a 15 year contract from there.
They could have blocked him.. they decided not to.

Besides, what court are they suing him in? US? And when he goes to spend the rest of his life in Russia?

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 07:50 PM
  #3
varano
Registered User
 
varano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
They could have blocked him.. they decided not to.

Besides, what court are they suing him in? US? And when he goes to spend the rest of his life in Russia?
I dont believe you can flee the country if theres a court order against you but i'm no lawyer.

I thought this was interesting as the team is in dire financial issues and arguably their number one player is not coming back. Should it result in a decline in on ice performance and bankruptcy from then,
it would be interesting.

varano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:02 PM
  #4
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,542
vCash: 2400
Kovalchuk didn't breach his contract.

__________________
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:04 PM
  #5
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Kovalchuk didn't breach his contract.
If the reports of him having signed his KHL deal back in February are true.. then yea he did.

Moot point since there's really not much you can do to the guy in Russia and if the Devils did want to go after him, they would not have voided his contract yet.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:19 PM
  #6
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,542
vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
If the reports of him having signed his KHL deal back in February are true.. then yea he did.

Moot point since there's really not much you can do to the guy in Russia and if the Devils did want to go after him, they would not have voided his contract yet.
I doubt anyone could prove he signed it in February. Until it's somehow confirmed, we have to assume everything that happened was by the books, which means he didn't breach his contract.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:27 PM
  #7
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
I doubt anyone could prove he signed it in February. Until it's somehow confirmed, we have to assume everything that happened was by the books, which means he didn't breach his contract.
Well, that's kind of why I used the word "if" and was clearly speaking in hypotheticals.

Regardless.. what are they going to do? Ask Russia to expedite him? Please..

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:28 PM
  #8
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
*extradite him

Not sure if Kovy is still in US but he'd be as good as gone if he hears a lawsuit is incoming. Why bother sticking around?

If the Devils really wanted Kovalchuk to pay for what he did to the team.. they could have just tolled his contract. They chose not to.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.