HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Daly: Pacific Northwest will get "serious consideration" for expansion/relocation

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Brodie
I'm a jackhammer

vCash: 500
And Columbus is within easy driving distance of about 6 NFL teams

Old
07-30-2013, 03:48 PM
IceAce
RAISED IN A BARN

vCash: 7125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
It doesn't have to be ice rinks to be hockey interest. There are rec roller hockey aplenty in the area. The market is exposed to San Jose Sharks hockey on television. There are a lot of transplants in the region. It's tough to really gauge the interest in an NHL franchise here simply because the minor leagues weren't coming here until the new arena was built. Arco was built too much on the cheap to allow that. I agree that a minor league test may happen but I don't agree with it being much of a signal for anything.
People get exposed to the game and become fans of it by playing it, it's not the only way that happens, but it is one of the bigger ways and usually indicative of some level of interest in the area.

I lived in Davis, CA for 6 years. The NHL and hockey for that matter were non-entities. Yes, you could watch the Sharks on CSN but it's not like Sharks fandom was overly prevalent in the area the way the Bay Area NFL and MLB teams were. Sharks have been around for 20+ years at this point, which is more than enough time for them to have had an impact there.

Old
07-30-2013, 04:34 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
eh, blame Wikipedia. They have Sacramento's metro area listed at just shy of 2.5 million and Portland's as about 2.25.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rts_franchises

It's closer than most give the city credit, though. Doesn't change the fact that I think they're a long shot for a second major pro team compared to other markets.

As for Allen, tough to say. The report going around was that he putting in inquiries into the Yotes just a few months ago, albeit very quietly. No clue if he'd be all hands on deck for a team if the NHL announced a round of expansion.
Allen has had ample opportunity to do a deal and buy a team. He doesn't want to. Portland has an arena and a long history with hockey. They do not want a team unless it is NFL.

Old
07-30-2013, 04:36 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
Junior,

In regard to KC, I don't believe it will ever happen. City Government there has wisely found out that Sprint Center makes a profit for them without a professional franchise, either NBA or NHL. If a team came, the only way the team could make it is to get all the revenue from the arena, so it would cost the city big bucks. The City doesn't want that.

KC is off the table.
Shoot. I was thinking they'd be a nice fit in the East. I would rather add a Milwaukee or KC than another Canadian city after Quebec.

Old
07-30-2013, 06:00 PM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Allen has had ample opportunity to do a deal and buy a team. He doesn't want to. Portland has an arena and a long history with hockey. They do not want a team unless it is NFL.
Now I'm just as guilty as you are here when it comes to, say, that last sentence being attached to the rest of that paragraph. Still, it's worth a chuckle... both for "NFL" and for not necessarily being clear on who "they" are.

What I'm saying is that conditions have changed. Allen has been challenged in Portland; a group seeks to buy the Blazers, the Timbers are going gangbusters, and Vulcan found out rather fast that the once-proposed "Jumptown" got virtually NO support from the city of Portland (this serves to demonstrate waning power of Vulcan in Portland). Meanwhile, Bill Gallacher is looking at the CHL giving the beginnings of the appearance of closing the borders. So what's been true for the better part of 18 years may not be true today. The word "may" does apply, of course.

Old
07-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
People get exposed to the game and become fans of it by playing it, it's not the only way that happens, but it is one of the bigger ways and usually indicative of some level of interest in the area.

I lived in Davis, CA for 6 years. The NHL and hockey for that matter were non-entities. Yes, you could watch the Sharks on CSN but it's not like Sharks fandom was overly prevalent in the area the way the Bay Area NFL and MLB teams were. Sharks have been around for 20+ years at this point, which is more than enough time for them to have had an impact there.
And if you look around the region, there are plenty of people that play the game of hockey. UC Davis has an ice hockey team. Davis has a roller hockey rec league. And they're not the only ones in the region either. Sacramento, Folsom, Roseville, and Rocklin all have roller rec leagues with Roseville having an ice hockey rec league as well. Stockton's ECHL team has been good considering the circumstances.

Of course it's not as prevalent as NFL or MLB because those have been traditions for at least twice as long as hockey but with probably a lot longer of a grassroots lifetime. However, it is here and having an NHL team would probably increase it by a lot if indications of how it improved in the San Jose area translate to the valley.

This also ignores the reality that unless there is a major league franchise in a region, it is a non-entity by default. It's a big reason why minor leagues aren't a huge factor in determining whether a major league franchise will work somewhere.

Old
07-30-2013, 07:45 PM
hockeyaddict101

The NHL will have no problem realigning conferences in the event of expansion because it means money in each owners pocket.

Quebec will be considered because they will pay the exorbiant expansion fee. To say the NHL would not let them in because it might be inconvenient is laughable.

Money talks.

Old
07-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
The NHL will have no problem realigning conferences in the event of expansion because it means money in each owners pocket.

Quebec will be considered because they will pay the exorbiant expansion fee. To say the NHL would not let them in because it might be inconvenient is laughable.

[B]Money talks.

And that's the universal language. Agreed that the current alignment in no way indicates where the next 2 (assuming it's) teams will be placed.

When the Dcember 2011 alignment was approved leaving the 2 eastern most conferences short by one, it seemed like there was a proclamation that the next 2 teams would be Eastern based. Now many think west is the only place to go.

Once expansion occurs, this current alignment will pass.

Old
07-30-2013, 09:01 PM
DyerMaker66

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
I have to agree! Bring back the Nordiques. We have enough American teams. Need more Canadian cities.
I'd be happy with 2 more.

Old
07-30-2013, 11:56 PM
gstommylee

KJR mitch just posted a bit of details regarding Expansion and Seattle on his kjrmitch twitter account.

Old
07-31-2013, 12:03 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
KJR mitch just posted a bit of details regarding Expansion and Seattle on his kjrmitch twitter account.
C&P from the Seattle thread:

https://twitter.com/kjrmitch/status/362421032826576896

Quote:
mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch

The short of it is: I'm hearing that the NHL Commish is encouraging the board of governors to make an expansion team available to Seattle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
via @KJRmitch https://twitter.com/kjrmitch

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 48m
If approved, the new expansion Seattle NHL club would cost approximately $275M. It would begin playing here in the 2014-2015 season.

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 47m
All of this contingent upon 1) a solid ownership coming forward and buying the team and 2) the new arena staying on track to be built

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 46m
The ownership group that was interested in buying the Phoenix franchise remains in play here, amongst others.

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 44m
The current MOU would undoubtedly need to be tweeked to keep the arena on track

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 43m
Not exactly certain the MOU tweeking resolution that would be agreeable to both sides but I've heard a handful of ideas that sound plausible

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 42m
This is really good news all the way around because if we can somehow get the building started, whatever the level of NBA uncertainty that..

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 41m
..currently exists would go away - making this an even stronger landing spot for a new NBA team.

Old
07-31-2013, 12:10 AM
Hound
Roll Tide

I am pro-QC and anti-Toronto 2.0.
Honestly though, my vote is to add Seattle (or Portland) to the Pacific and add Houston (largest city in the US or Canada w/out a team) to the Central. Done.
If either team failed it could be moved to QC (enter realignment)

Old
07-31-2013, 12:11 AM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound View Post
I am pro-QC and anti-Toronto 2.0.
Honestly though, my vote is to add Seattle (or Portland) to the Pacific and add Houston (largest city in the US or Canada w/out a team) to the Central. Done.
If either team failed it could be moved to QC (enter realignment)
I think Seattle, portland and QC can happen. Seattle and QC expansion with Portland getting coyotes in 5 years or maybe soon if that sale to RSE falls apart.

Old
07-31-2013, 12:14 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post

Probably time to migrate the discussion back to the Seattle Watch thread.

We'll sticky it if more news comes out.

Closed Thread