HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers and Flyers

Old
07-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Matt19Oilers

vCash: 500
Oilers and Flyers

I doubt that an Oilers-Flyers deal is going to happen anymore, but as an Oilers fan i have been obsessed with this trade:

To Flyers: Hemsky (20% salary retained) + 2014 1st rd pick + David Musil

To Oilers: Braydon Coburn + Max Talbot

Flyers get to dump a few million dollars in salary and get some valuable picks/prospects and the Oilers add a much needed legitimate 4C and top-pairing D.
I'd be willing to give the Flyers another pick/prospect too.

Matt19Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Curufinwe

The main problem with this trade is that Coburn averaged the most minutes per game of anyone on the team last season. The Flyers can't trade him unless they are getting back a defenseman who can play most or all of those minutes.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:46 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
I doubt that an Oilers-Flyers deal is going to happen anymore, but as an Oilers fan i have been obsessed with this trade:

Flyers get to dump a few million dollars in salary and get some valuable picks/prospects and the Oilers add a much needed legitimate 4C and top-pairing D.
Don't think Edmonton has the cap space to do a deal like this.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Tripod

Quote:

Do you think Philly is better after this trade? If you answer no, you then have Philly's response.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:48 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 50
Asking price for BC at the draft was a first and top prospect from the oilers. They turned it down

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:55 PM
Matt19Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Don't think Edmonton has the cap space to do a deal like this.
Talbot + Coburn + retaining some of Hemsky's salary would be 7.25million and we'd be losing 4 million from Hemsky. So I guess you'd be right about that, but if the Oilers can get rid of one of their D like Nick Schultz etc, then it would be feasible. You'd have to think the Oilers would like to get rid of someone from there, they'll have to soon anyway.

Old
07-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Matt19Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Do you think Philly is better after this trade? If you answer no, you then have Philly's response.
According to Capgeek, the Flyers are $2million over the cap, so assumig that is right, they probably have to make a deal that sets them back a little, no? They would
have to shed salary whether they like it or not.

Old
07-23-2013, 03:00 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
Asking price for BC at the draft was a first and top prospect from the oilers. They turned it down
This is the first I've heard of that.

Is this a rumour, a theory, something you heard on a podcast, or something else?

tempest2i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Everything I saw said either 7th overall straight up or mps + 2 2nds

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
No it wasn't, it was MPS+2 2nds.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Wrong.

As for the OP.. EDM has no cap room to make such a deal.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
According to Capgeek, the Flyers are $2million over the cap, so assumig that is right, they probably have to make a deal that sets them back a little, no? They would
have to shed salary whether they like it or not.
Meszaros for a pick is the only deal that makes sense.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Quares27

Seems like a good deal for Philly

Coburn is more of a 2nd pairing guy than a first IMO and the Flyers have a lot of expensive D when healthy

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

This would be stupid for the Flyers. They don't need Hemsky whatsoever, and trading Coburn would be a significant loss. They will simply ship off Meszaros for a nominal return and they'll be fine under the cap. Don't forget that they will also put Pronger on LTIR again once the season begins.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:32 PM
TheRightWay

Depends. If Philly is going to live in delusion and believe that their mediocre defense and extremely questionable goaltending are going to get them anywhere then, no, they don't do this deal. If they concede the need for a rebuild (or at least a retooling) then I think it's a pretty solid deal. Moving two non-essential pieces and getting back a 1st + a solid prospect. And on top of that Hemsky will be a nice trade chip either at the deadline this year or next year (or keep him if he does well).

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:37 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Depends. If Philly is going to live in delusion and believe that their mediocre defense and extremely questionable goaltending are going to get them anywhere then, no, they don't do this deal. If they concede the need for a rebuild (or at least a retooling) then I think it's a pretty solid deal. Moving two non-essential pieces and getting back a 1st + a solid prospect. And on top of that Hemsky will be a nice trade chip either at the deadline this year or next year (or keep him if he does well).
I don't like the deal for Philly at all. They are stacked at forward and have no need for Hemsky at all even with salary being retained. If they are looking at dealing assets they should be dealing from a position of strength and trading a forward for a defenceman or goalie.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
If everything you say is true (Philly has mediocre D and questionable goaltending), wouldn't the same apply to Edmonton? What does Coburn do for Edmonton that he doesn't do for Philly?

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:48 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'd do it just because I think that pick will be top 10 again.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Alex Mills

Both teams would have to renegotiate the players involved or shed salaries before this could be considered, as someone would be over the cap on either side of this transaction. As is, the Flyers wouldn’t really upgrade anywhere or benefit other than the pick.

It was reported by Team 1260 before the start of free agency that the Flyers asked the Oilers for two 2013 2nd round picks, a 2014 2nd round pick and other considerations for Coburn, which is more than the Rangers paid to acquire Clowe at the April deadline. If Talbot were also included, the offer from the Oilers mentioned here would need to be significantly higher.

Last edited by Alex Mills: 07-23-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Alex Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Hemsky is a UFA after this year, and almost surely he won't be re-signing in Edmonton. He won't be worth much at the trade deadline also if he continues to get injured during the year. Also at 5 million(or even some salary retained, no team will be jumping for him) Edmonton has been rumored to trade him for a long time now, you ever wonder why he hasn't been moved? Nobody wants him.

Also, strange that an Edmonton fan would be talking about mediocre defense and bad goaltending...

The Flyers have had a successful offseason as well. Production was needed from the 2nd line center spot, they signed the best available forward on the market. They desperately needed a puck moving defender, signed the best on the market. Arguably got the best goalie on the market as well.

If the Oilers are serious about getting Coburn, you need to start with Klefbom or Nurse. He is a #3 defender who log large minutes. Will give you 25-30 points a year, and if used on the Powerplay, you actually might see a little more. They don't come cheap. The Flyers also were rumored to not be actively shopping him, but teams were calling. They only want to move Coburn if they get and upgrade(either top 6 or a defender) Flyers wanted a top 6 from Edmonton, and MPS was not enough.

Last edited by Prongo: 07-23-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:46 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
What I learned today: The player that led the Flyers in ice time last season is "non-essential".

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Bryz4shiz

Seems like pretty good value for the Flyers

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Wiqkid*

God awful trade. ZERO need for Hemsky.

Wiqkid* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:57 PM
SupremeTeam16

Edmonton doesnt need another 3-4 defenseman, we already have Ferrence, Smid, Petry, J. schultz. What we need is a bonified #1 defenseman and we aren't gonna find a guy like that in trade without getting ***** it sucks to say but we gotta run with what we got and hope that wildcards like Belov and young guys like klefbom and Marincin can contribute at times. Add in factors like a coach who doesnt have alzhymers, some of our young players being healthy and taking another step forward and hopefully the Oilers can get over that hump and be a team competing for a playoff spot at the end of the year.

On another note LTIR reminds me of the NFL when a team is out of time outs but they really need one and you see two or three players all fall over at the same time with a mystery injury. I have this imagi in my head of Holmgren on the first day of training camp waiting for Mezaros (Sp?) outside the rink with a steel pipe ready to Tonya Harding him so he can throw him on LTIR.

SupremeTeam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:27 PM
The Dream
User Registered

The Flyers need a number 1 defensemen around the age of 22-25 more than anything else. I do not see a trade going down for Coburn unless it is for a young top defensemen. Of course, that would also mean giving up Coburn, possibly Read, and 1st rounder.

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote