HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team better off without Kovalchuk?

View Poll Results: Better without Kovalchuk?
Yes, better without Kovalchuk 86 52.44%
No, worse without Kovalchuk 78 47.56%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-24-2013, 08:50 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
We also lost those 3 games where we gave up 11,13, and 16 shots.
yeah it was brutal. A whole game on the opposition's side of the ice but they couldn't cash in for ****.

EliasR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:58 PM
devilsblood

I was pretty excited about this team with Kovy going into 13-14.

Now I can't honestly say the Devils are better off without him, but still with the additions this offseason, both pre and post Kovy retirement, I think we look pretty solid. Certainly a playoff team imo.

And I really would have loved to see a healthy Kovy in the playoffs. Really would have like to see Kovy dynamo in the playoffs. Unfortunate we never got to see it.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:06 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
I was pretty excited about this team with Kovy going into 13-14.

Now I can't honestly say the Devils are better off without him, but still with the additions this offseason, both pre and post Kovy retirement, I think we look pretty solid. Certainly a playoff team imo.

And I really would have loved to see a healthy Kovy in the playoffs. Really would have like to see Kovy dynamo in the playoffs. Unfortunate we never got to see it.

Can I ask you a serious question?

When in his 3&1/2 years here did we see the Kovy Dynamo?

Just curious for reference.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:13 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Can't answer yet, but the depth is convincing on paper.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:14 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post

Rarely :why:

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:15 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

I think we'll be better than either of the years we missed, so, by default, we're better without him.

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:18 PM
5Minute Major
HENRIQUE! ITS OVER!

I would like to think we are better off but remember how horrendous we were when he got hurt this past season?

Really only time will tell but I am optimistic about the overall outlook of our team.

5Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Bleedred
Bring back Sallinder

We were also horrendous when he was in the lineup after Marty got injured. Think of it this way.

We lost 2 games in the shootout when he was injured, and we won 2 games in the shootout when Marty was injured while Kovalchuk was not.

If we lose those 2 shootouts, which isn't a stretch to imagine considering we were disgustingly awful in them, we could have easily had the same putrid record while he was in the lineup.

If the team held on for both of those ****fests I paid to see in Florida, then there's two games that we win.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:25 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Minute Major View Post
I would like to think we are better off but remember how horrendous we were when he got hurt this past season.
You had a structure in place that was dependant on his minutes and absolutely nothing in place to replace them....we already had Clarkson playing above his grade and Bernier for a bit as well....when you have that situation and suddenly there is a void you can't recover from that.

We will have team that really won't be dependant on any 1 player this season....as long as they can find some cohesion it will be a better team.

Old
07-24-2013, 09:25 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiebrown View Post
Step back one year, replace the name Kovalchuk with the name Parise, and you get the same response. And we were not a better team without Parise.
We didn't make any other moves when Parise left.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:38 PM
tycobb

Quote:

2nd half of 2010-2011 when he almost carried the team to the playoffs.

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:48 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
2nd half of 2010-2011 when he almost carried the team to the playoffs.
OK....now I know Dynamo means 60 points and -26 and not leading the team in scoring.

Thanks.

Old
07-24-2013, 09:56 PM
Bleedred
Bring back Sallinder

I have to disagree with Jim there. Kovalchuk was very good in the second half of 10-11. His minus 26 was mostly from how bad he was in the first half. I think he might have even had a plus rating in the second half, and was on pace for much worse than -26 earlier in the season. The whole team sucked in the first half minus Elias, Arnott, and Tedenby from what I remember.

However, last year he wasn't very good. 36 year old Elias looked better than him for most of last year. As I maintain, Kovalchuk was good last year but not by his standards. It shouldn't be that hard to replace the 2013 Kovalchuk. Even when we were winning he didn't look spectacular, and he wasn't carrying us to wins the way he did in the second half of 10-11. He was also on vacation on a trip up to outer space with his buddy Poni while Marty was injured, and the team still wasn't scoring.

Old
07-24-2013, 09:58 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
He had 21 goals, 18 assists and a +4 in the second half. It was actually a +10 or 11 before the team fell out of it in the last couple weeks.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:01 PM
tycobb

Quote:
OK....now I know Dynamo means 60 points and -26 and not leading the team in scoring.

Thanks.
He scored 6 game winning goals in like a 4 week span. One of my favorite times watching the team play. Also one of the worse teams we had in awhile.

Old
07-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Bleedred
Bring back Sallinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
He had 21 goals, 18 assists and a +4 in the second half. It was actually a +10 or 11 before the team fell out of it in the last couple weeks.
I'll never discredit him for the way he played then, or what he did in 11-12, especially in the playoffs. The Kovalchuk of 2013 though wasn't an elite player. He regularly had long goal droughts. I think he had 2 different 6 game goal droughts (3 if you include between injury but I won't count that) and was even in a 5 game goal drought when he was injured. That didn't seem to happen much in the two years prior. I remember one really long one of about 9 or 10 games in 11-12 where he said that was probably the longest drought in his career.

He was fairly inconsistent last year, or at least by his standards. I think we'll miss his playmaking more than goal scoring cause he was invisible last year as far as goal scoring goes at even strength.

Old
07-24-2013, 10:06 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I'll never discredit him for the way he played then, or what he did in 11-12, especially in the playoffs. The Kovalchuk of 2013 though wasn't an elite player. He regularly had long goal droughts. I think he had 2 different 6 game goal droughts (3 if you include between injury but I won't count that) and was even in a 5 game goal drought when he was injured. That didn't seem to happen much in the two years prior. I remember one really long one of about 9 or 10 games in 11-12 where he said that was probably the longest drought in his career.

He was fairly inconsistent last year, or at least by his standards. I think we'll miss his playmaking more than goal scoring cause he was invisible last year as far as goal scoring goes at even strength.
The team was just bad last year. Hard to score when the other team only has 1 player to stop. Not to mention that 1 out of 10 shots was going in on our goalies.

Old
07-24-2013, 10:07 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiebrown View Post
Step back one year, replace the name Kovalchuk with the name Parise, and you get the same response. And we were not a better team without Parise.
We replaced Parise with jack **** until this offseason, of course there was no way we were going to be better without Zach last year.

We replaced Kovalchuk with Jagr short-term, and long-term we aren't stuck with his contract. Or Parise's for that matter. If anything Parise's deal is worse now with all the up-front money he's getting paid for merely good, not great performance, although if the Russian merc had more moody seasons his deal would have been infinitely worse during his $11 million years.

Old
07-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Bleedred
Bring back Sallinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
The team was just bad last year. Hard to score when the other team only has 1 player to stop.
I agree to an extent, but he didn't really help matters last year. How many times did he score a clutch goal when the team started slumping after Marty was injured? How many times did he change a game like we had seen him do a lot in the two years prior? How much post and glass was he hitting? Some of his shootout attempts were downright pathetic.

The player I saw in the world championships after the season ended was an elite all world player. The Kovalchuk I saw for the 2013 Devils was just a pretty good player.

Old
07-24-2013, 10:09 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
That's spectacular. 2nd in scoring on a lottery team. All for cheap too.

Old
07-24-2013, 10:15 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
The Kovalchuk I saw for the 2013 Devils was just a pretty good player.
He wasn't even that....people have been crapping on Henrique's season for months now....they both scored the same amount of goals...think about that for a second.

Old
07-24-2013, 10:19 PM
NjDevsRR

2011-2012 Kovalchuk was awesome.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bleedred
Bring back Sallinder

Quote:
He wasn't even that....people have been crapping on Henrique's season for months now....they both scored the same amount of goals...think about that for a second.
31 points in 36 games isn't bad, but it's not nearly what we're used to seeing from him over his career. He was on pace to hit a career low in goals scored. He had to also be on pace for the least amount of even strength goals scored in his career too.

If all goes according to plan, I think someone can replace his goal production. I think if he had played another year here, he would have likely posted another barely 20 goal season.

Old
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

To be fair, Kovalchuk was injured for a good chunk of the season. I agree though, he was unspectacular

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:24 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
To be fair, Kovalchuk was injured for a good chunk of the season. I agree though, he was unspectacular
He wasn't injured when he was playing. And his play in the 3/4 of a season he was healthy for was awful other than his shorthanded demon rushes.