Notices

Jets travel is now worse?

Old
07-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Jetsfan79

vCash: 500
Jets travel is now worse?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-64180

• The Winnipeg Jets, whose travel concerns were a catalyst for realignment, see their mileage increase from 44,627 in 2011-12 to 46,477 next season.

So not only do we see less divisional games than ever before compared to the old alignment (we only see some division teams twice at MTS), the Jets will actually travel more with this alignment. Less travel and more rivalries were 2 of the selling points for this realignment and we are getting neither of those benefits. I think the true reason for this radical realignment was US TV money and NBC. IMHO they should of shifted the jets to another division and kept the old system.

Jetsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:55 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
Less travel into different time zones, but more mileage.

NSH version of AIH did a comparison of all teams mileage in new schedule:
http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/7...-to-back-games

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:01 PM
SCP Guy

The time zone thing is a bigger wear on the players then the flying distance

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Basalt13

We have the fewest back to back games tho, so I think our schedule is one of the better ones.

Basalt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
By having back to back against every team all teams are going to have slightly increased travel, at least in general.

I said it before and will say it again - I think the Jets were moderately happy being in the SE Division, because it meant playing in the eastern conference (and a number of the big-name teams there). Plus while they might have lengthy road trips, you could hit a number of stops within that road trip without hardly moving.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:26 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Travel increased ...as expected.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:26 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
More miles travelled but not necessarily worse.

This season more games in our time zone, but also more games in the pacific which is 2 hours away. Personally think the time zone has minimal affect on players considering game times locally can easily vary by an hour anyway. The time zone issue was more to do with fans in certain markets having many games at unwatchable hours.

The biggest thing to compare is the length of the road trips. If we have a bit more miles but the road trips are shorter its a good trade off. Not sure if anyone has looked at the details of that.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:30 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
More miles travelled but not necessarily worse.

This season more games in our time zone, but also more games in the pacific which is 2 hours away. Personally think the time zone has minimal affect on players considering game times locally can easily vary by an hour anyway. The time zone issue was more to do with fans in certain markets having many games at unwatchable hours.

The biggest thing to compare is the length of the road trips. If we have a bit more miles but the road trips are shorter its a good trade off. Not sure if anyone has looked at the details of that.
Perhaps I will. I did a pretty nerdy breakdown last year.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2013/...dule-breakdown

Could possibly add length of road trips to the mix.

Old
07-24-2013, 02:37 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
Totally this.

These have it better off flying to the next city then I do driving home from work every day.

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:39 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post

The Winnipeg Jets, whose travel concerns were a catalyst for realignment, see their mileage increase from 44,627 in 2011-12 to 46,477 next season.

So not only do we see less divisional games than ever before compared to the old alignment (we only see some division teams twice at MTS), the Jets will actually travel more with this alignment. Less travel and more rivalries were 2 of the selling points for this realignment and we are getting neither of those benefits. I think the true reason for this radical realignment was US TV money and NBC. IMHO they should of shifted the jets to another division and kept the old system.
Since when are rivalries = the teams you play the most? A rivalry is a rivalry.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:45 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
i like the new schedule more late games the better. I usually work some week nights till 9PM so it works out perfect for me

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 03:03 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
Since when are rivalries = the teams you play the most? A rivalry is a rivalry.
That is usually how a rivalry is formed...
with repeated history

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 03:06 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
Totally this.

These have it better off flying to the next city then I do driving home from work every day.
Agree 100%...time zone hopping is a far bigger issue to high performance athletes than time traveled.

Doesn't have to do with what time the games are, it has to do with the circadian rhythms of the body as it relates to sleep and rest.

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Thesaurus
Lyrical Wordsmith

vCash: 954
Playing in the same time zone means A LOT. There were a handful of teams that traveled more than us last season.

Thesaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 03:10 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
Jets will have in around 56 games in the central with the new schedule.

They had 44 games in the central time zone during year one.

We are talking about a swing of 12ish games with a better start time.

This isn't a huge difference IMO, especially when we are only talking about a 1-2 hour swing in start times.

Old
07-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

It's been proven that time zone shifts is what wear players out (jet lag).

Actual flying within time zones can be quite comfortable and relaxing. You are sitting in a comfy chair for a couple of hours, watching game film, movies, listening to music.

07-24-2013, 03:24 PM
castle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1700
Quote:

The Winnipeg Jets, whose travel concerns were a catalyst for realignment, see their mileage increase from 44,627 in 2011-12 to 46,477 next season.

I thought it was just going to be more equal amongst division teams... as opposed to necessarily being less. who actually thought it would be less moving to the west? I thought everybody knew the west travels more.

castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 03:25 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

Actual flying within time zones can be quite comfortable and relaxing. You are sitting in a comfy chair for a couple of hours, watching game film, movies, listening to music.
Jet lag exists, but it is a bigger factor when you switch multiple time zones.

A one time zone swing results in similar flight times and 1 hour change in game times.

Not a big factor, and it was generally only impacts the 1st game of a road swing ans the rest of the games tend to be within the same timezone.

Old
07-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:

They may be logging more miles but they are now in a division/conference where everyone logs a lot more miles during the season. The playing field is even.
The Jet's currently don't have any rivalries with anyone. I don't understand how we could be getting less then zero by moving. Give it a couple years and they will build up due to geographical region, playoff position battles, and on ice shenanigans. Looking at the teams in the league it is pretty safe to say that the Jets will be in the same division as most of the other central teams for decades.

Regarding the timezone discussion with regards to travelling I think the teams in the central have a advantage there since we don't have games with the extreme east coast to west coast timezone swing.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:36 PM
castle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

is it time zone shifts or playing at the 'wrong' time? the Jets have 10 matinees. that seems like a lot to me.

castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:49 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Distance doesn't matter.
Time zones do.
2 hours vs 3 on a plane isn't a big deal.
Getting used to constantly switching your body clock is a big deal.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Rook37

vCash: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by castle View Post
is it time zone shifts or playing at the 'wrong' time? the Jets have 10 matinees. that seems like a lot to me.
That's an interesting question actually. Do players playing in matinees suffer the same drop of performance as an equivalent time zone shift? I can't see why they wouldn't, but I don't know if there's more science behind jet lag aside from being thrown off by everything around you being scheduled a few hours forward or back.

Rook37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by castle View Post
That is a good question. I personally play better during the day even though I play hockey at night 90% of the time. I think it depends on the person.

Jet lag is different as it messes with the bodies internal clock. You are sleeping, eating, napping, practicing at a different time. The sun is up and down at a different time. It really seems to screw with your function.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Keep in mind that in 2011-12, the Jets did not travel to California.

They'll do so on 2 separate occasions in 2013-14. That's probably the only reason why the mileage is higher. That's a looong flight.

You also have a few instances where the Jets take a fairly long flight to play 1 game on the road (1 in Detroit, 1 in Nashville, 1 in St. Louis, 2 separate times in Colorado), which likely adds more miles than if you combined the STL-DET-NSH-COL games on 1 trip.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:47 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Distance doesn't matter.
Time zones do.
2 hours vs 3 on a plane isn't a big deal.
Getting used to constantly switching your body clock is a big deal.
This is the issue. There is not "jet lag" as you would suffer going across the ocean. It is more about the rhythm that your internal body clock gets into. Changing time zones - even by an hour - is the bigger issue as it throws off sleep patterns, pm naps, eating times etc (lots of sport science on this).

Matinees are a different issue, but the effects of a matinee in another time zone than in your home one can be/are magnified. Miles traveled are not so much the issue as others have said (unless you are flying 3 hours somewhere, then turning around and flying back the next day...that is tough on the body). As other posters have mentioned, typically if you have a long trip, your are in that region for a few days.

Lots of experience in this, including a few trips to Europe and back within a few days...ouch!

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote