HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Would you want Abramovich to purchase the Oilers?

View Poll Results: Would you want Abramovich to purchase the Oilers?
Yes 17 43.59%
No 22 56.41%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2003, 01:24 PM
USC Trojans
AD

vCash: 500
Would you want Abramovich to purchase the Oilers?

Rumor has it that Russian gajillionaire Roman Abramovich is interested in purchasing an NHL franchise. Apparently, talks with the Stars have failed, and the Nucks have denied that Abramovich is interested.

Edmonton has a pretty big Russian population, and I wouldn't be too surprised if Abramovich expresses interest in purchasing the club. So here's the question. If Abramovich WAS interested in buying the club, would you be for it, or against it?

The Pros: He is RICH RICH RICH. You've all seen what he's done to the other teams that he owns. He splurged over 200 million to buy players for the Chelsea soccer club. He also spent a deal of money in getting Tverdovsky to play for Omsk in the Russian league. Having him as an owner will solve our financial problems.

The Cons: Abramovich has threatened to turn the club into an all-Russian team. I don't know if he'll actually go along with it, but I think he's crazy enough to do it. The other thing is, will money potentially ruin the franchise? Will the team become another NY Ranger? These are the risks involved with a thrifty owner, and the money can be a double edged sword.

Given, this is all speculation and I haven't heard anything that Abramovich would be interested in buying the Oilers...but if he did, would you be for it or against it?

Old
09-26-2003, 01:27 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I would've rather had Eugene Melnyk for sure, but hey, a sports-loving billionaire owning your team usually isn't a bad thing.

Old
09-26-2003, 01:28 PM
Schai

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
Rumor has it that Russian gajillionaire Roman Abramovich is interested in purchasing an NHL franchise. Apparently, talks with the Stars have failed, and the Nucks have denied that Abramovich is interested.

Edmonton has a pretty big Russian population, and I wouldn't be too surprised if Abramovich expresses interest in purchasing the club. So here's the question. If Abramovich WAS interested in buying the club, would you be for it, or against it?

The Pros: He is RICH RICH RICH. You've all seen what he's done to the other teams that he owns. He splurged over 200 million to buy players for the Chelsea soccer club. He also spent a deal of money in getting Tverdovsky to play for Omsk in the Russian league. Having him as an owner will solve our financial problems.

The Cons: Abramovich has threatened to turn the club into an all-Russian team. I don't know if he'll actually go along with it, but I think he's crazy enough to do it. The other thing is, will money potentially ruin the franchise? Will the team become another NY Ranger? These are the risks involved with a thrifty owner, and the money can be a double edged sword.

Given, this is all speculation and I haven't heard anything that Abramovich would be interested in buying the Oilers...but if he did, would you be for it or against it?
I voted Yes, because Oilers is going to become another Dynasty if Russian Mafia is running the team.

Old
09-26-2003, 01:34 PM
Digger12

To be honest, I don't think it'd be as fun cheering for a team that bought the latest, greatest UFAs every summer...I like our team the way it is, but if we could get some mark to bankroll us to the point that we could up the payroll to at least average (approx. 40 Million), that would be perfect...not enough to be tempted to go crazy and scarf up any 'name', but enough to keep the players we need to keep.

Don't think I'd want this russian though, he sounds a bit too much like a cowboy, he'll play around for a couple years then skedaddle once he loses interest or is gunned down by the Russian mafia (or maybe he's the mob boss? Does anyone even know how he got rich? Seems kinda mysterious...).

Old
09-26-2003, 01:53 PM
FacelessButcher

If it's the only way to keep the team here(for the long haul) then I am all for it, but I would like to reserve judgement till the new CBA is negotiated and decide from there.

Old
09-26-2003, 02:19 PM
jadeddog

i would only want something like this as a last resort, like to keep the team in edmonton. but for now i like the idea that the team is owned locally and that we are smart with our money... it wouldnt be much fun cheering for detroit or dallas i dont think. but i *would* like enough money to keep the majority of our own players (guerin, weight, carter etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc)

Old
09-26-2003, 02:50 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
i would only want something like this as a last resort, like to keep the team in edmonton. but for now i like the idea that the team is owned locally and that we are smart with our money... it wouldnt be much fun cheering for detroit or dallas i dont think. but i *would* like enough money to keep the majority of our own players (guerin, weight, carter etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc)
I voted yes.... but lets not forget we have one of the best (not richest) but best ownerships in the league. The guys that own the team aren't out of this world rich, atleast not compared to other owners, but do a good job IMO. I think that he could provide stability though. I wouldn't want a team that would trade a superior Czech for an inferior Russian just because he was Russian though. That wouldn't be good at all. Oh... and the reason I quited Jadeddog is with the Guerin thing. That trade has put our franchise in a REAL strong position right now. I mean I would MUCH rather have Hemsky and Dvorak as to Guerin. And really if you want to be tech. the Bruins have nothing and we have one of the top 3-4 young players in the league and Dvorak. So in a way our financial situation was a blessing in this situation.

Old
09-26-2003, 03:18 PM
o98

Send a message via MSN to o98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
To be honest, I don't think it'd be as fun cheering for a team that bought the latest, greatest UFAs every summer...I like our team the way it is, but if we could get some mark to bankroll us to the point that we could up the payroll to at least average (approx. 40 Million), that would be perfect...not enough to be tempted to go crazy and scarf up any 'name', but enough to keep the players we need to keep.

Don't think I'd want this russian though, he sounds a bit too much like a cowboy, he'll play around for a couple years then skedaddle once he loses interest or is gunned down by the Russian mafia (or maybe he's the mob boss? Does anyone even know how he got rich? Seems kinda mysterious...).
Apparently he was also interested in the Stars and more recently, Canucks. Article said he got rich off of oil and other industries. Also mentions he just sold his half share in Russia's biggest aluminum company for $4 billion CDN. Just think how many overpaid underachieving nutbags that could buy for an NHL team :p

I'm not too fond of the idea if he wants to turn the team into an all Russian team, or if he plans to buy wins and championships. Much rather just see a higher payroll like digger mentioned, 40-45, maybe we'll see Hemsky playing for the Oil after he turns 29

BTW heres the link to the article
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...25_104313_4880

Old
09-26-2003, 03:49 PM
FacelessButcher

What team currently has the largest number of russians? My guess would be Chicago but I am not really sure(lots of Russian prospects)

Old
09-26-2003, 03:54 PM
Oi'll say!

I think I heard them say on SNET yesterday that he got rich in the Oil industry.

Do I want him turning the Oilers into Red Army West? No thanks.

I don't have anything against Russian born players I just like the guys currently on the team.

Old
09-26-2003, 06:54 PM
IceDragoon

No. We'd fall into a Faustian pit.

Old
09-27-2003, 01:07 PM
Hairball

I didn't vote. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, as people have mentioned, I like our team. I want our team to succeed with who we have. I don't want them to go out and spend for all of the best UFA's every year. On the other hand, an increase in payroll would certainly be welcome but not at the expense of losing our team's image.

Old
09-27-2003, 04:32 PM
barto

The biggest reason I said "no" is that the guy would have no connection to the city (& surrounding area), so I would be concerned that he might pick up and move somewhere else. Or if he DOES get tired of it and wants to sell it, then what? Back to the Michael Largue days? Ugh.

We take a great deal of pride in the organization for doing as much as possible with so little, so it would be a HUGE adjustment in mindset, that's for sure!

Bart

Closed Thread