HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Need educated opinions on Doug Murray

Old
08-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

vCash: 500
Need educated opinions on Doug Murray

Sup guys. Habs fan here coming in peace.

As you probably know, we signed Douglas Murray today. I'll start off by letting you know of my evaluation of the player, according to what I watched:

He's a #5/#6 d-man capable of playing 16-17 minutes per game in average. While not the best skater, he's great on the PK, tough as nails, clears the front of the net and can sustain the other team's forecheck well, which helps smaller d-men retrieving the puck. I see him in that role for the Habs.

NOW, this is where you guys start commenting. What can we expect from Murray. There are some very extreme opinions on the Habs board from both sides (as usual, for any single subject of discussion there is), some going as far as saying he's almost an AHL calibre d-man, or a journeyman defenseman who will see time in the pressbox.

I think your opinion would be the best to take into account, as I trust he was in Pitts just long enough for you to have a taste of what he's made of, but not long enough to lose your objectivity towards him...

So. Doug Murray... What can we expect? How was he in Pitts? From Pens fans eyes?

Thanks, Cheers.

Kass Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

He's good

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Sup guys. Habs fan here coming in peace.

As you probably know, we signed Douglas Murray today. I'll start off by letting you know of my evaluation of the player, according to what I watched:

He's a #5/#6 d-man capable of playing 16-17 minutes per game in average. While not the best skater, he's great on the PK, tough as nails, clears the front of the net and can sustain the other team's forecheck well, which helps smaller d-men retrieving the puck. I see him in that role for the Habs.

NOW, this is where you guys start commenting. What can we expect from Murray. There are some very extreme opinions on the Habs board from both sides (as usual, for any single subject of discussion there is), some going as far as saying he's almost an AHL calibre d-man, or a journeyman defenseman who will see time in the pressbox.

I think your opinion would be the best to take into account, as I trust he was in Pitts just long enough for you to have a taste of what he's made of, but not long enough to lose your objectivity towards him...

So. Doug Murray... What can we expect? How was he in Pitts? From Pens fans eyes?

Thanks, Cheers.
That's ridiculous. He served his role very well here, in exactly the way you describe.

I don't think you'll find any Pens fan who'll say he's AHL calibre or will be spending time in the pressbox. He's absolutely an NHL defenseman, and can really benefit a team if they use him the right way.

You will enjoy watching players bounce off of him. And everyone does, Lucic included.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
He's good
Obviously, being in the NHL, he is probably rather good

That being said, how did you like his game last year with the Pens? What is he good for? Bad for? His ideal role on a team?

Old
08-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
That's ridiculous. He served his role very well here, in exactly the way you describe.

I don't think you'll find any Pens fan who'll say he's AHL calibre or will be spending time in the pressbox. He's absolutely an NHL defenseman, and can really benefit a team if they use him the right way.

You will enjoy watching players bounce off of him. And everyone does, Lucic included.
Thanks for your opinion! Very appreciated here. That what I read from that player too.

As for everyone bouncing on him, I noticed before lol. Long time fan here.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Go Griz

vCash: 50
You'll get kinder opinions of him here than you will on the Sharks board, where he appears to have reached Josef Melichar-levels of hatred.

As long as he's used properly he's a good defender...but he can be isolated and exploited, which limits the situations you can use him in. When the play is in front of him he's golden, but he's not catching anyone with his wheels - which are every bit as bad as advertised. He is a tank in a league filled with formula one cars...but damn is it ever fun to see him obliterate a car once or twice a game.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
You'll get kinder opinions of him here than you will on the Sharks board, where he appears to have reached Josef Melichar-levels of hatred.

As long as he's used properly he's a good defender...but he can be isolated and exploited, which limits the situations you can use him in. When the play is in front of him he's golden, but he's not catching anyone with his wheels - which are every bit as bad as advertised. He is a tank in a league filled with formula one cars...but damn is it ever fun to see him obliterate a car once or twice a game.
Thanks! Your answer/evaluation is appreciated.

May I ask another question? At this point of his career, is he still a serviceable regular, #5/6 d-man? Is my evaluation of him too ambitious? And what is your definition of "used properly"?

Thanks!

Old
08-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Go Griz

He's a #6 that needs to be paired with a mobile guy.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
He's a #6 that needs to be paired with a mobile guy.
Paired with a mobile guy? That goes without saying.

6th d-man as in a regular guy who starts in your lineup on any given game? As in 15 minutes + per game?

Old
08-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Randy Butternubs
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

vCash: 370
Keep him away from the speedsters.

Still a fan of him. Good luck.

Random fact: In the lockout off-season, I suggested Tyler Kennedy for Douglas Murray. Seems pretty fair. Maybe I'll be a GM one day.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Zirakzigil

I loved what he brought. Tough is an understatement with him, hes great on the PK and solid 5v5 when paired with a guy who can skate. If you are looking for toughness on the blueline under 20min a game you will be happy with him. Expecting him to play more then that or against top line forwards even strength is when you are asking for trouble.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Mancouver
Locked in the Washer

If he doesn't get rid of the puck quickly, it gets taken. He's swedish.. so..

Last edited by Mancouver: 08-22-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Mancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Jacob

He's a vending machine on skates.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
I loved what he brought. Tough is an understatement with him, hes great on the PK and solid 5v5 when paired with a guy who can skate. If you are looking for toughness on the blueline under 20min a game you will be happy with him. Expecting him to play more then that or against top line forwards even strength is when you are asking for trouble.
Thanks for your input. Very much appreciated.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:20 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

He's still a guy that can contribute night in and night out as a third pairing/PK guy.

He infuriated Chris Neil in the Pens/Sens series simply by refusing to go down no matter how many runs Neil took at him.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 03:52 AM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
He's still a guy that can contribute night in and night out as a third pairing/PK guy.

He infuriated Chris Neil in the Pens/Sens series simply by refusing to go down no matter how many runs Neil took at him.

I'm gonna miss him, and hate when we play, Montreal.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 04:29 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

he is a luxury 3rd pairing d-man. He's very good on the bottom d-pairing. His issue is that his skating makes him a liability against top players so he really cannot play on the top 2 lines. He will win every battle he has in front of the net though. He is pretty nasty when he has the chance.

But then you get those shifts where he gets stuck against John Tavares' line and its just painful to watch. He needs a good coach who can avoid that as much as possible.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 08-23-2013 at 05:03 AM.
Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 04:36 AM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Paired with a mobile guy? That goes without saying.

6th d-man as in a regular guy who starts in your lineup on any given game? As in 15 minutes + per game?
As in a 6th dman.. ..6th on the depth chart, 6th in TOI... pretty self explanatory. Usually you suit up at least 6 defenseman right? So he'd be in your lineup any given game.

.. The Canucks were also after Murray. He's no speedster or too mobile, but he'll sit in your zone and be defensively responsible with the ability to handle larger folk. And in the Habs case, add some grit.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 05:36 AM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. San Jose fans seemed happy to get rid of him and especially for two 2nd round picks.

He is physical, will block shocks, will lay people out. But the dude looks like he is skating in quick sand, he might be the slowest player in the league. He's good for the pk.

He is a decent #6 dman.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 07:32 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

He's a guy that plays an important role, and plays it well. He is slow, so on a speedy team like Montreal I would say that role is definitely going to be on the bottom pair. But he's going to bring toughness, size, and leadership to that D core.

I really wish we could have kept him. Seems like a great guy that fit into the locker room immediately. Good luck to Murray and the Habs =)

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerz View Post
I'm not so sure about that. San Jose fans seemed happy to get rid of him and especially for two 2nd round picks.

He is physical, will block shocks, will lay people out. But the dude looks like he is skating in quick sand, he might be the slowest player in the league. He's good for the pk.

He is a decent #6 dman.
Did you even read what he said? He said exactly what you just said using different words

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Wow! Thanks a lot guys for the feedbacks. It's clearly confirming my opinion.

Old
08-23-2013, 09:30 AM
spizzle420

lol@gif

spizzle420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 09:56 AM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

I really liked Murray. He was a great presence and it would've been nice if he could have stayed on as a bottom pairing guy.

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 12:34 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post

I'm gonna miss him, and hate when we play, Montreal.
Okay, he just gave me a jeepers creepers shiver there. He looks evil, love it.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote