HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Marc-Andre Fleury to see Sports Psychologist

Old
07-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Waffle Fries

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
The longer we hold onto him, the more Stanley Cups the Blackhawks will win. I bet the rest of the league actually loves the fact that Shero is willingn to hold onto a mediocre player like him. He's a hell of an achilles heel that teams can exploit time and time again during the post-season. Doesn't matter if we have Mike Bossy, Gretzky, and Bobby Orr on defense... with Fleury in the cage, there's always a high chance of absolutely folding games that would otherwise be "easy" victories. I mean.. we're talking about a guy that routinely puts pucks in his own net.
Yeah there's totally a direct correlation there

Last edited by Waffle Fries: 07-28-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
I'm not going to be that harsh about it. I don't truly think Fleury is a "loser" or anything like that. It's his life. But I will say that, regardless of how you spin it, it doesn't look good on his part that the team has urged him to seek help in the past and he's simply shrugged his shoulders. It looks bad on the team's part, too. It's not like Fleury just melted down last season. This has been a thing for a while, now.

And I disagree that it's all between his ears. It mostly is. But Fleury has quite a few (and some long standing) flaws to his actual game. Some of them pretty much have to be so deeply ingrained at this point that they are damn near unfixable. Even stripping away his propensity to flip out when the pressure is on... he is a goaltender with a lot of fundamental issues. So much work... so little time. These things should have started being addressed years ago. It's simply laziness, a lack of awareness and an unwillingness to assert themselves on both his part and the team's part.

Obviously I'd love to see them pull a rabbit out of their hat and sort him out. Then everyone wins. But it really seems like the classic case of "too little, too late."
I will note that Fleury has had the same goaltending coach for his entire professional career. I find it amazing that some of the same people who put all the blame on Bylsma for the skaters' playoff meltdowns put all of Fleury's problems solely on his own head.

The 07/08 season is why I'm willing to give Fleury the benefit of the doubt that he can put it together. When Conklin was his backup and mentor, Fleury showed much better positioning and was much less likely to need to flop around in his crease to make a save - showing that he can learn, and is willing to. Once Conklin left, Fleury reverted back to his old ways pretty quickly. Which indicates to me that Meloche has been teaching him poorly.

I also look at how once-promising goaltending prospects couldn't even manage to grab a backup position in the NHL after being instructed by Meloche.

So, yes, I am hopeful that with a new goaltending coach and a sports psychologist, Fleury has a chance to pull himself together.

That said, I'll say it again - if he melts down in the playoffs again, the Pens ought to use a compliance buyout on him next summer.

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeptop View Post
I will note that Fleury has had the same goaltending coach for his entire professional career. I find it amazing that some of the same people who put all the blame on Bylsma for the skaters' playoff meltdowns put all of Fleury's problems solely on his own head.

The 07/08 season is why I'm willing to give Fleury the benefit of the doubt that he can put it together. When Conklin was his backup and mentor, Fleury showed much better positioning and was much less likely to need to flop around in his crease to make a save - showing that he can learn, and is willing to. Once Conklin left, Fleury reverted back to his old ways pretty quickly. Which indicates to me that Meloche has been teaching him poorly.

I also look at how once-promising goaltending prospects couldn't even manage to grab a backup position in the NHL after being instructed by Meloche.

So, yes, I am hopeful that with a new goaltending coach and a sports psychologist, Fleury has a chance to pull himself together.

That said, I'll say it again - if he melts down in the playoffs again, the Pens ought to use a compliance buyout on him next summer.
Meloche wasn't even a 'full-time' goalie coach and was mainly only consulting mostly. That's more so on the organization for not putting much into the most important position on the team since they went through so much to draft him #1 overall.

He needs this in order.

1. Confidence in himself without relying on his teammates having to bail him out regularly.

2. Stay on his skates, no coach is necessary to explain this to him. He needs to put himself in position to be able to recover from initial shots. (flopping) He has to be able to get back to his skates quickly, but he also has to remember that not every single shot requires the butterfly. Pop down, make the save, pop back up. Being in the standing position also allows him to get to secondary shot much quicker while still covering most of the net. He's always reaching rather than reacting causing the flopping. That's mainly because 70% to 80% of the time he's either already in the butterfly, or he's got himself caught out of the net again with a poor decision/play with the puck.

3. He doesn't need to be superman, there are plays where he has no control over the outcome. These are the odd man breaks. This is where the teams system comes into play. This helps destroy his confidence from having to deal with so many of them. D-man and forwards need to know when to drop back and pinching doesn't need to be involved with every up ice possession. The F-3 really needs to be doing his job better, and there's no reason for both D-man to be pinching at the same time.

If they continue to take chances, risky chances at that, they better devise/find solution, better. Scuderi helps, but that's not the total solution. The Penguins forward group also doesn't support this need.

In the end, this is both a team and Fleury issue.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 12:58 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:

Wow, can I work for you? How many chances should the Pens give Fleury to **** the bed in the playoffs? 4 straight seasons isnt enough????

You like his potential because of what he did in 2007-2008? In sports, that is an eternity ago. The top goalies in the league that year were Giguere, Hasak, Osgood, Nabakov, and Brodeur. 07-08 was an eternity ago. Vinny Lecavalier put up 92 points that season, Iginla almost scored 100! Gasoline was probably under $3 back in those good ol days.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:41 AM
Honour Over Glory

If the therapist can help him sort out whatever is bothering him when the playoffs start and he gets back to the MAF of 2008 and 2009, then I am ok with that. Even the best have struggled mightily during crunch time, I can't look at MAF's regular season numbers and let the playoff numbers completely wipe that off the board.

This should be an interesting season.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerz View Post
Wow, can I work for you? How many chances should the Pens give Fleury to **** the bed in the playoffs? 4 straight seasons isnt enough????

You like his potential because of what he did in 2007-2008? In sports, that is an eternity ago. The top goalies in the league that year were Giguere, Hasak, Osgood, Nabakov, and Brodeur. 07-08 was an eternity ago. Vinny Lecavalier put up 92 points that season, Iginla almost scored 100! Gasoline was probably under $3 back in those good ol days.
He helps the Pens get to the dance, you don't ditch him all of a sudden without giving him a proper chance after he's finally given in to your suggestion of seeing a sports therapist. Pens have also not hired a goaltending coach yet.

You need to take a few deep breaths and relax. This could either pay off or we see the same result, either way the Pens didn't draft more goaltenders and go after Hartzell for nothing.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:43 AM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
He helps the Pens get to the dance, you don't ditch him all of a sudden without giving him a proper chance after he's finally given in to your suggestion of seeing a sports therapist. Pens have also not hired a goaltending coach yet.

You need to take a few deep breaths and relax. This could either pay off or we see the same result, either way the Pens didn't draft more goaltenders and go after Hartzell for nothing.
The pens should have started drafting goalies awhile ago. They are way too conservatve. They also desperately need forward prospect depth. Shero's master plan seems to be screw every other position, I'm only drafting dmen. Now that all of Craig Patricks's guys are gone (except Letang and Orpik) lets see how Shero's plan works. So far he's been able to get Brenden Morrow for one of these prized prospects. Not too impressive considering morrow can't even find a job this summer.

Enough is enough with Fleury. His poor performances outweigh any positives in the playoffs. It's been so long that he's had a good series that I believe 07 and 08 were flukes and what you've seen the past 4 post seasons is the true Fleury.

Old
07-29-2013, 09:15 AM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
.899 save %. He was bad in that series. He wasn't epic bad like he has been the two years since, but he was bad.
If you're talking about the 2011 Tampa series, it was pretty much textbook MAF.

Game 1: W 3-0 (32/32, 1.000 sv%)
Game 2: L 5-1 (16/20, .800 sv%)
Game 3: W 3-2 (25/27, .926 sv%)
Game 4: W 3-2 (29/31, .935 sv%)
Game 5: L 8-2 (10/14, .714 sv%)
Game 6: L 4-2 (17/21, .810 sv%)
Game 7: L 1-0 (22/23, .957 sv%)

All-in-all, that should've been good enough to win the series.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 09:23 AM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
The pens should have started drafting goalies awhile ago. They are way too conservatve. They also desperately need forward prospect depth. Shero's master plan seems to be screw every other position, I'm only drafting dmen. Now that all of Craig Patricks's guys are gone (except Letang and Orpik) lets see how Shero's plan works. So far he's been able to get Brenden Morrow for one of these prized prospects. Not too impressive considering morrow can't even find a job this summer.

Enough is enough with Fleury. His poor performances outweigh any positives in the playoffs. It's been so long that he's had a good series that I believe 07 and 08 were flukes and what you've seen the past 4 post seasons is the true Fleury.
Enough may be enough, but you're going to be stuck watching him for at least one more season. The buy out period has been over for almost a month, he has a NMC clause that prevents the team from placing him on waivers, and he's got a limited NTC that really isn't limited at all.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex View Post

oh ya, Fleury wasn't the biggest problem in that series. That was a team effort.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Burgs

Quote:
Shero has also gotten Kunitz (and Tangradi) for Whitney, and Neal + Niskanen for Goligoski. Just because he didn't draft them doesn't mean his strategy is wrong. It's true that puck-moving top 4 defensemen have very good trade value. The problem is those defenders must first establish themselves in the NHL to be worth a lot. Shero got several years of a headstart with Whitney and Gogo. It would be wasting the prime of our star centers simply waiting the 5+ years it will take someone like Pouliot to reach that level where he'll get us a top winger in a 1 for 1 trade. Meanwhile we'll lose surplus D prospects for next to nothing due to sheer numbers.

Shero's defensemen plan will keep us competitive in the long run. But it's not going to improve our 'peak years' because Sid and Geno won't stay young forever.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Shero has also gotten Kunitz (and Tangradi) for Whitney, and Neal + Niskanen for Goligoski. Just because he didn't draft them doesn't mean his strategy is wrong. It's true that puck-moving top 4 defensemen have very good trade value. The problem is those defenders must first establish themselves in the NHL to be worth a lot. Shero got several years of a headstart with Whitney and Gogo. It would be wasting the prime of our star centers simply waiting the 5+ years it will take someone like Pouliot to reach that level where he'll get us a top winger in a 1 for 1 trade. Meanwhile we'll lose surplus D prospects for next to nothing due to sheer numbers.

Shero's defensemen plan will keep us competitive in the long run. But it's not going to improve our 'peak years' because Sid and Geno won't stay young forever.
That's why I question his strategy. It took Whitney and gogo 7 years from the time they were drafted until they were traded. I'm not saying some of our prospects will necessary take that long to develop, but there's a good chance and Crosby and Malkin will be on the wrong side of 30 by then.

Malkin is back to being stuck with one respectable winger and Crosby is paired with Dupuis and Kunitz. Yuck. I know Malkin played with inferior talent in the past, but come on now. Give the guy some weapons and a guy who can set him up.

Old
07-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Freeptop

Quote:

I've said before on these boards that I would have had no problem with them letting go of Fleury this summer. Since they've already decided not to go that route, then it makes sense to see what happens with him going to a shrink and getting a new goaltending coach, and that there is at least some reason to believe he can re-gain a prior good performance. He's still under 30, so it isn't like he's incapable of learning more - particularly since the things he would need to absorb would help mitigate the issues of slowing down and losing flexibility. Incidentally, how old were Giguere, Hasek, Osgood, Nabokov and Brodeur back in 07/08 again?

But, hey, let's all root for him to fail, instead! That's just so much better than hoping he actually pulls it together for the playoffs!

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
That's why I question his strategy. It took Whitney and gogo 7 years from the time they were drafted until they were traded. I'm not saying some of our prospects will necessary take that long to develop, but there's a good chance and Crosby and Malkin will be on the wrong side of 30 by then.

Malkin is back to being stuck with one respectable winger and Crosby is paired with Dupuis and Kunitz. Yuck. I know Malkin played with inferior talent in the past, but come on now. Give the guy some weapons and a guy who can set him up.
We are actually about to have the 2nd best collection of top 6 wingers that Sid and Geno have ever had. Geno could will have Neal and one of Jokinen/Bennett. That's actually very respectable. Things really aren't as bad as you make them seem.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:29 PM
vikingGoalie

sorry ranting...

had put this in the coaching thread, but since this gets more traction and is relavent.

http://www.rawcharge.com/2012/4/25/2...oalie-coaching

I really wish the Pens as an organization would embrace that. The goalie is the most important position on the team. I've been saying since the montreal debacle that fleury needs a new goalie coach.

He doesn't need a buddy to be his coach, he needs someone to instill discipline and make it so that when the stress is on that his training takes over. I tell the kids around here that they will play how they practice and I really believe that. If you are doing pushups and spin-o-rama shootout stops as routine parts of your practice. Then what the heck do you expect when you get to a real game?

Sure you have to keep practices fun on some levels. But Fleury has never been properly mentored or taught. He is an amazingly physically gifted goalie, but that's all he has to fall back on when it's helter skelter time.

Why on earth wouldn't he have improved his puck handling skills/decision making on handling a puck by now? That is totally a teachable skill.

The puck off the boards that bounces in. I'd have a guy randomly fire shots like that off the back board during practice (and I would be a rebound mechanism to make it easy to direct the puck back at the net) and hammer in his head that a shot wide he sucks up back to the post and tracks the puck back out . Not go down outside your crease on a shot that is 2 feet wide of the net.

Goalie is an immensely mental position, and if you get in your own head you're doomed. But the reason he gets into his own head, imo, is because he lacks proper training and doesn't understand why he has such bad "puck luck".

I still can't believe that Meloche attributed a lot of Fleury's problems to bad puck luck. With mentoring/coaching like that it's a wonder Fleury hasn't been worse.

vikingGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
We are actually about to have the 2nd best collection of top 6 wingers that Sid and Geno have ever had. Geno could will have Neal and one of Jokinen/Bennett. That's actually very respectable. Things really aren't as bad as you make them seem.
True, but Shero set the bar awfully low with previous wingers. I'm glad our top 6 wingers are better now than the likes of talbot, ponikarovsky, fedotenko etc.

Yay

Old
07-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
I've said before on these boards that I would have had no problem with them letting go of Fleury this summer. Since they've already decided not to go that route, then it makes sense to see what happens with him going to a shrink and getting a new goaltending coach, and that there is at least some reason to believe he can re-gain a prior good performance. He's still under 30, so it isn't like he's incapable of learning more - particularly since the things he would need to absorb would help mitigate the issues of slowing down and losing flexibility. Incidentally, how old were Giguere, Hasek, Osgood, Nabokov and Brodeur back in 07/08 again?

But, hey, let's all root for him to fail, instead! That's just so much better than hoping he actually pulls it together for the playoffs!
I won't be rooting against fleury. I realize we are stuck with him for at least another year. But if he costs the pens another series next year, he and Shero both need to disappear.

Old
07-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Jacob

I certainly hope Fleury has some sort of monumental turn-around starting with his offseason training, a focused and consistent regular season and ending with a great playoff run. I just wouldn't bet on it. It would be great to see, though.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 01:32 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:

Absolutely not. The guy flushed 3 out of 7 games down the toilet against Tampa. Those games were unwinnable with his performance in net considering the teams' injuries. Leaving the margin for error for everybody else at zero is not "good enough."

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Nietzsche Zone Play

Quote:
True, but Shero set the bar awfully low with previous wingers. I'm glad our top 6 wingers are better now than the likes of talbot, ponikarovsky, fedotenko etc.

Yay
He set the bar so low that two of the wingers mentioned played pretty big roles on a Cup team...

Nietzsche Zone Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 05:37 PM
JTG

I think Shero has actually put together a pretty good collection of talent, to be honest. We have prospects on the way, and Bennett and Despres are ready for bigger roles. I think this is a pretty solid top to bottom team. Really the only change I would make is some big, physical, nasty bottom 6'ers...like a Mike Rupp type of player.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 05:50 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

Quote:
oh ya, Fleury wasn't the biggest problem in that series. That was a team effort.
You guys are really forgiving.

All in all? All in all, there's never an excuse for a goalie on a team like ours (even on weak defensive nights) to post three games in one series, at or below .810. That is ****ing terrible. Every goalie is allowed one of those per series and maybe a couple mediocre games, but that's well below "mediocre".

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
You guys are really forgiving.

All in all? All in all, there's never an excuse for a goalie on a team like ours (even on weak defensive nights) to post three games in one series, at or below .810. That is ****ing terrible. Every goalie is allowed one of those per series and maybe a couple mediocre games, but that's well below "mediocre".
so was our 1 for 1000 powerplay and losing a game 7 1-0. Fleury sucked. So did a lot of other people. And to be fair, the offense legitimately did suck. Tyler Kennedy was a top line winger and Mark Letestu was our 2nd line center.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:13 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
so was our 1 for 1000 powerplay and losing a game 7 1-0. Fleury sucked. So did a lot of other people. And to be fair, the offense legitimately did suck. Tyler Kennedy was a top line winger and Mark Letestu was our 2nd line center.
And we had a three way tie for our scoring leader between Kris Letang, Arron Asham, and Max Talbot with 4 points

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

Goalie is just a funny position. Blackhawk fans weren't sold on Crawford before the playoffs. Niemi was traded after winning a cup, was mediocre for awhile, then had another great season. There just isn't a lot of consistency in the position through out the whole league. Look at Halak. I could keep naming goalie after goalie. Byz looked like a solid pick up for the Flyers at one time. There isn't a lot of consistency in the top goalies of the last ten years or so after the top five or so....

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is offline   Reply With Quote