HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A deeper look at Drew Stafford

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-29-2013, 11:56 AM
  #26
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 42,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
Its just an impression I get reading your posts nothing more.

You seem to side more on the pro-Stafford fence and tend to defend him here compared to others. I don't see you looking to shop him out as much as others in your trade proposals, roster builds etc.

Apologies if I am wrong with that.

I dont think there is a "pro-stafford" group... instead there is an anti-stafford group driven by myths (work ethic) and a poor understanding of stats (only scores in contract year)... then there are a few of us who simply point out when you are wrong

i dont really give 2 ***** about stafford in the big picture.

i dont think there is really any point in trading him right now... the team needs some veteran players around... we shouldnt just throw the kids to the wolves.

I bet he gets right back to his career trend in the .60 pts per game / 50 pt season range. that's a pretty objective outlook given the stats

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:12 PM
  #27
Rowley Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: England
Posts: 3,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I dont think there is a "pro-stafford" group... instead there is an anti-stafford group driven by myths (work ethic) and a poor understanding of stats (only scores in contract year)... then there are a few of us who simply point out when you are wrong

i dont really give 2 ***** about stafford in the big picture.

i dont think there is really any point in trading him right now... the team needs some veteran players around... we shouldnt just throw the kids to the wolves.

I bet he gets right back to his career trend in the .60 pts per game / 50 pt season range. that's a pretty objective outlook given the stats
I never mentioned anything specifically about a lack of effort / poor work ethic. That is not necessarily the problem with him for me.

I agree with you 100% re: veteran players - just that I don't think Stafford should be one of the 'veterans' on the team.

Looking beyond the numbers - the team is clearly building a new identity with the past few drafts, and are obviously in a rebuilding phase at the moment. I'm of the opinion that the whole of the 'old core' needs to go (hence why I was happy to see JP traded, and why I'd like to see Vanek/Miller moved). Personally I don't want any of those players who essentially failed around the new team as it develops into something hopefully successful.

A Roy/Ott deal is exactly the type of thing I'd like to see happen with Stafford at this stage, but as said I don't see them actively shopping him - or if they do I can guarantee Regier is setting the price unrealistically high.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:29 PM
  #28
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 42,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
I never mentioned anything specifically about a lack of effort / poor work ethic. That is not necessarily the problem with him for me.

I agree with you 100% re: veteran players - just that I don't think Stafford should be one of the 'veterans' on the team.
Other people in this thread and others made the work ethic argument. If work ethic is not a problem, then why don't you want him on the team?

Quote:
Looking beyond the numbers - the team is clearly building a new identity with the past few drafts, and are obviously in a rebuilding phase at the moment. I'm of the opinion that the whole of the 'old core' needs to go (hence why I was happy to see JP traded, and why I'd like to see Vanek/Miller moved). Personally I don't want any of those players who essentially failed around the new team as it develops into something hopefully successful.
I never considered Stafford part of the old core.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:36 PM
  #29
SabresFan26
Registered User
 
SabresFan26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,857
vCash: 500
Stafford likely will be dealt at the end of 14-15 when he is in a contract year if the Sabres are out

SabresFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.