HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A deeper look at Drew Stafford

Old
07-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
Its just an impression I get reading your posts nothing more.

You seem to side more on the pro-Stafford fence and tend to defend him here compared to others. I don't see you looking to shop him out as much as others in your trade proposals, roster builds etc.

Apologies if I am wrong with that.

I dont think there is a "pro-stafford" group... instead there is an anti-stafford group driven by myths (work ethic) and a poor understanding of stats (only scores in contract year)... then there are a few of us who simply point out when you are wrong

i dont really give 2 ***** about stafford in the big picture.

i dont think there is really any point in trading him right now... the team needs some veteran players around... we shouldnt just throw the kids to the wolves.

I bet he gets right back to his career trend in the .60 pts per game / 50 pt season range. that's a pretty objective outlook given the stats

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I dont think there is a "pro-stafford" group... instead there is an anti-stafford group driven by myths (work ethic) and a poor understanding of stats (only scores in contract year)... then there are a few of us who simply point out when you are wrong

i dont really give 2 ***** about stafford in the big picture.

i dont think there is really any point in trading him right now... the team needs some veteran players around... we shouldnt just throw the kids to the wolves.

I bet he gets right back to his career trend in the .60 pts per game / 50 pt season range. that's a pretty objective outlook given the stats
I never mentioned anything specifically about a lack of effort / poor work ethic. That is not necessarily the problem with him for me.

I agree with you 100% re: veteran players - just that I don't think Stafford should be one of the 'veterans' on the team.

Looking beyond the numbers - the team is clearly building a new identity with the past few drafts, and are obviously in a rebuilding phase at the moment. I'm of the opinion that the whole of the 'old core' needs to go (hence why I was happy to see JP traded, and why I'd like to see Vanek/Miller moved). Personally I don't want any of those players who essentially failed around the new team as it develops into something hopefully successful.

A Roy/Ott deal is exactly the type of thing I'd like to see happen with Stafford at this stage, but as said I don't see them actively shopping him - or if they do I can guarantee Regier is setting the price unrealistically high.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
I never mentioned anything specifically about a lack of effort / poor work ethic. That is not necessarily the problem with him for me.

I agree with you 100% re: veteran players - just that I don't think Stafford should be one of the 'veterans' on the team.
Other people in this thread and others made the work ethic argument. If work ethic is not a problem, then why don't you want him on the team?

Quote:
Looking beyond the numbers - the team is clearly building a new identity with the past few drafts, and are obviously in a rebuilding phase at the moment. I'm of the opinion that the whole of the 'old core' needs to go (hence why I was happy to see JP traded, and why I'd like to see Vanek/Miller moved). Personally I don't want any of those players who essentially failed around the new team as it develops into something hopefully successful.
I never considered Stafford part of the old core.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:36 PM
SabresFan26

Stafford likely will be dealt at the end of 14-15 when he is in a contract year if the Sabres are out

SabresFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote