HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At least Rasmus and Lawrie are doing well lately

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2013, 05:17 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Yet the Rays have made the playoffs 5 of the past 6 seasons. So yea it is actually pathetic. With our resources we should be able to at least compete. The Rays don't make excuses, they just win. All the Jays is make excuses. That's pathetic
the Rays and Orioles have been last place team for a decade to get quality players maybe Jays should tank next 10 years

Old
07-30-2013, 05:18 PM
FifthLine

So what do you think we could get from the Braves if we were to give them say Boni and Oliver? What could we get back?

Old
07-30-2013, 05:25 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Who dares acquire Melke ?

Old
07-30-2013, 05:34 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
I'd toss in Lincoln if we deal a reliever or two.

Do you mean AJ or Luis Jimenez?
Ya you're right, Lincoln deserves it, as does Wagner.

I meant AJ, but Luis has performed well enough to warrant a call up, there won't be room on the 40 man for him though. Mauro Gomez is on it and has played well, he might get a look

Old
07-30-2013, 05:35 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Well he said hitter so AJ would be my guess.
Well Luis Jimminez is hitting .296/.367/.520/.888

Old
07-30-2013, 05:38 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
There probably won't be more than 2 or 3 call-ups because there's no point calling up that many players since they won't be used and you have to pay them major league salary. Gose/Sierra, Jenkins and Lincoln are probably the guys to get called up in September.
The salary is a factor I hadn't thought of.

I think you're right on those guys, although I'd like to see Nolin get a look since we burned an option this year anyways

Old
07-30-2013, 05:38 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Yet the Rays have made the playoffs 5 of the past 6 seasons. So yea it is actually pathetic. With our resources we should be able to at least compete. The Rays don't make excuses, they just win. All the Jays is make excuses. That's pathetic
What's pathetic is the bust rate in this farm system. Something is wrong with the philosophy down in the minors because bats are shallow and underdeveloped while pitching is erratic every season with a proneness to injury. Look at how many players the Rays have on their club that have been developed in their system.

Positional Players:
Longoria
Zobrist
Jennings
Joyce (to an extent)

Pitchers:
Price
Moore
Hellickson
Cobb
Torres
McGee

Now the Jays:

Positional Players:
Lind
Lawrie (to an extent)
Arencibia

Pitchers:
Janssen
Cecil
Loup
McGowan

Old
07-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Well Luis Jimminez is hitting .296/.367/.520/.888
Jimenez* you spelt it wrong a couple times now so I thought I should correct you.

And yeah, he's shown he can hit in the minors for 5 teams now but he's likely nothing more than a AAAA bat.

Old
07-30-2013, 05:45 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
What's pathetic is the bust rate in this farm system. Something is wrong with the philosophy down in the minors because bats are shallow and underdeveloped while pitching is erratic every season with a proneness to injury. Look at how many players the Rays have on their club that have been developed in their system.

Positional Players:
Longoria
Zobrist
Jennings
Joyce (to an extent)

Pitchers:
Price
Moore
Hellickson
Cobb
Torres
McGee

Now the Jays:

Positional Players:
Lind
Lawrie (to an extent)
Arencibia

Pitchers:
Janssen
Cecil
Loup
McGowan
No top players for the Jays.

Only Longoria and Price were top picks if I remember correctly.

Old
07-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Mach85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Ugh, just talking about this makes me a little angry. I think this was probably AA's first major mis-step as GM. Traded our top prospect assets for Dickey when he probably should have used them the year before on someone like Latos or GG. Granted neither NS or TDA are doing exceptionally well this year but at the time they were valued highly and I think Dickey is turning out to be a rather poor return.

The Marlins deal I don't mind as much because the assets we gave away aren't nearly as prized and we did get Reyes and a serviceable Buerhle out of it.
That was always my problem with the Dickey deal. I'm fine with giving up top prospects, even though it's inherently risky, as long as that risk is minimized. Dealing for a knuckleballer who has no track record in the AL, let alone the AL East, to be your ace is not doing that.

Old
07-30-2013, 05:49 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Jimenez* you spelt it wrong a couple times now so I thought I should correct you.

And yeah, he's shown he can hit in the minors for 5 teams now but he's likely nothing more than a AAAA bat.
Ahhh I did you're right, thanks man.

I would tend to agree, although he's only been given 18 AB in the majors if memory serves

Old
07-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Mach85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
We shall see if there is indeed a 2nd accusation forthcoming.

Bud Norris Scratched scratched form his start tonight (among others). I always had this feeling he would be a jay.
I don't want any part of Bud Norris. For what they're reputedly asking for in return, he's no upgrade over our internal options. His respectable ERA this year seems to have a lot of luck involved.

Old
07-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Radiohead
Street Spirit

Quote:

Positional Players:
Longoria
Zobrist
Jennings
Joyce (to an extent)

Pitchers:
Price
Moore
Hellickson
Cobb
Torres
McGee
Don't forget Archer and Lee (to an extent), prospects they acquired from some clever maneuvering (from Young to Garza to now).

Old
07-30-2013, 06:03 PM
habamillions

no cabrera in lineup tonight. possible trade. if not its stupid cause bonerface is in leftfield. unless melkman is hurt

Old
07-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Radiohead
Street Spirit

Quote:
To be fair, it's only been 3 times, but point taken.

If anything, more hurdles to overcome in the division for the Jays.

Old
07-30-2013, 06:09 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habamillions View Post
no cabrera in lineup tonight. possible trade. if not its stupid cause bonerface is in leftfield. unless melkman is hurt
I doubt anyone would want Melky with his potential suspenion upcoming.

Old
07-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
No top players for the Jays.

Only Longoria and Price were top picks if I remember correctly.
All those players save Janssen and Loup were 1st rounders too so they had the bill of potential hovering over their heads since the beginning. Lawrie still has plenty of potential to develop into a premier bat but history dictates there's a problem in this system when it comes to developing players.

Travis Snider was a top 5 prospect in the league at one point, bust. Ricky Romero enjoyed a few years of success, on the verge of flaming out. Gabe Gross never learned how to hit a lefty. Russ Adams couldn't field let alone hit. Kevin Ahrens and Deck McGuire can't even reach AAA. David Purcey and Zach Jackson became AAAA arms. Our most successful 1st rounder in the last 7 years is Brett Cecil.

Old
07-30-2013, 06:12 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
Have u seen Cabrera in LF He can't run!

He's a mess. And when he came back he said he felt the best hes felt all year lol

Who want him? Maybe some slo=pitch team or perhaps a PH for a winning team?

Old
07-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Mach85

Quote:
All those players save Janssen and Loup were 1st rounders too so they had the bill of potential hovering over their heads since the beginning. Lawrie still has plenty of potential to develop into a premier bat but history dictates there's a problem in this system when it comes to developing players.

Travis Snider was a top 5 prospect in the league at one point, bust. Ricky Romero enjoyed a few years of success, on the verge of flaming out. Gabe Gross never learned how to hit a lefty. Russ Adams couldn't field let alone hit. Kevin Ahrens and Deck McGuire can't even reach AAA. David Purcey and Zach Jackson became AAAA arms. Our most successful 1st rounder in the last 7 years is Brett Cecil.
Man, I thought Purcey and Jackson were gonna be beasts...how wrong I was. And Gabe Gross should serve as a warning for people that get hyped over spring training stats.

Old
07-30-2013, 06:22 PM
canucksfan

Aaron Hill was a good first round pick but that was ten years ago.

Old
07-30-2013, 06:26 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Did you see Melky running down the ball in left last night. It's not a problem if he's not playing.

Old
07-30-2013, 06:35 PM
habamillions

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Have u seen Cabrera in LF He can't run!

He's a mess. And when he came back he said he felt the best hes felt all year lol

Who want him? Maybe some slo=pitch team or perhaps a PH for a winning team?
yesterday in the first inning was terrible watching that. he is an improvement in left for many teams but yeah the possible suspension and 8mil for next yr may scare some teams

Old
07-30-2013, 06:37 PM
habamillions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Did you see Melky running down the ball in left last night. It's not a problem if he's not playing.
yes I did it was awful but ill take melky over bonerfacio anyday of the week

Old
07-30-2013, 06:44 PM
TootooTrain
-

In Rogers Center, or Fenway Park sure. In the the cavernous Colisseum? It's a no-brainer.

I also doubt it has anything to do with a potential trade. Although watching him take 10 minutes to get to a ball probably wouldn't help either.

Old
07-30-2013, 06:48 PM
canucksfan

Blanco is playing quite a bit with the Mariners. With the M's he has an OPS of .494.

Closed Thread