HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At least Rasmus and Lawrie are doing well lately

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2013, 04:20 PM
91Kadri91*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
Yes he can. They can make a trade five minutes from now if everybody has cleared waivers.
Obvious sarcasm was obvious.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:22 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
You know they can still make trades right?
It's a lot tougher. Players have to clear waivers which they may not do so if they are claimed. They can try trading the player to the claimed team but if there is no trade then you can't trade the player. If you put him on waivers again and he gets claimed, you lose the player. See the difficulty?

And why would any team give up more for Oliver after the deadline anyways? If Jays didn't get any offers they liked, well they certainly are not going to get better offer now.

Crappy season. Crappy draft. Crappy trade deadline. At least we're consistent.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:23 PM
Longshot

AA just told the media they were working on a deal last week that fell apart.

He said specifically it was never reported by any media.

Edit: Working on two deals. One fell apart last week. One yesterday morning.

AA told media they were looking at something large.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:24 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
It's a lot tougher. Players have to clear waivers which they may not do so if they are claimed. They can try trading the player to the claimed team but if there is no trade then you can't trade the player. If you put him on waivers again and he gets claimed, you lose the player. See the difficulty?

And why would any team give up more for Oliver after the deadline anyways? If Jays didn't get any offers they liked, well they certainly are not going to get better offer now.

Crappy season. Crappy draft. Crappy trade deadline. At least we're consistent.
Yes, but he can still get traded no matter the difficulty. In all honesty the Jays probably weren't going to get much for Oliver regardless. Would you trade anything of value for him? I wouldn't.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:25 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

So what will they do with Santos? Unless he suffers a setback in his rehab, he must be recalled to the majors by August 3. Jays can put Melky on the DL and run with an 8 man bullpen again but if they don't DL him... then what? DFA Juan Perez?

Old
07-31-2013, 04:27 PM
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality

Quote:
AA just told the media they were working on a deal last week that fell apart.

He said specifically it was never reported by any media.

Edit: Working on two deals. One fell apart last week. One yesterday morning.

AA told media they were looking at something large.
He doesnt like working with a deadline. Could be something they re-visit in the winter. Whatever it was.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Longshot

Quote:
So what will they do with Santos? Unless he suffers a setback in his rehab, he must be recalled to the majors by August 3. Jays can put Melky on the DL and run with an 8 man bullpen again but if they don't DL him... then what? DFA Juan Perez?
Easy question to answer.

They will do one of three things (I assume there is nobody on the roster with that can be optioned to Triple A)

They will trade somebody to open a roster spot.

They will DL somebody to open a roster spot.

Or they will release somebody to open a roster spot.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Quote:
Yes, but he can still get traded no matter the difficulty. In all honesty the Jays probably weren't going to get much for Oliver regardless. Would you trade anything of value for him? I wouldn't.
I would trade him for the best offer. There is zero need for him this season and he will retire after this season so get what you can for him. If Jays were even remotely in contention or their bullpen was a weakness and losing Oliver would make it really tough on the pen, I could understand keeping him around. But with a strong bullpen and zero chance of contention, there is no need to keep Oliver. Absolutely none.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:30 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
He doesnt like working with a deadline. Could be something they re-visit in the winter. Whatever it was.
AA said (this is Kennedy's Twitter feed - reporter from the Star): that some larger concepts around SP and middle infield, but there was no rush to do it now. Indicates they laid some ground work.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:30 PM
Dr.Funk

Quote:
I would trade him for the best offer. There is zero need for him this season and he will retire after this season so get what you can for him. If Jays were even remotely in contention or their bullpen was a weakness and losing Oliver would make it really tough on the pen, I could understand keeping him around. But with a strong bullpen and zero chance of contention, there is no need to keep Oliver. Absolutely none.

His roster spot is more valueable to us than he is at this stage.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:31 PM
Longshot

AA on Oliver: Lots of supply. Little demand. You didn't see a lot of left handed relievers traded today.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:32 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
What if no one offered anything?

Old
07-31-2013, 04:32 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
AA said (this is Kennedy's Twitter feed - reporter from the Star): that some larger concepts around SP and middle infield, but there was no rush to do it now. Indicates they laid some ground work.
Sounds like we may see something more interesting happen in the post season.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Sounds like we may see something more interesting happen in the post season.
If I may be so bold as to read between the lines: I would suggest AA's comment that there was no rush to do anything now suggests they need to rest of the season to re-evaluate where they stand with the starters on the roster.

Meaning, if the decision down the road is to cut bait with Johnson, Buerhle and maybe even Dickey that would free up significant payroll. But at this point the final decisions on those players haven't been made.

Edit: Quote from AA: ""I think we still had a lot of productive dialogue that could certainly lead to a deal in the offseason."

Old
07-31-2013, 04:38 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
If I may be so bold as to read between the lines: I would suggest AA's comment that there was no rush to do anything now suggests they need to rest of the season to re-evaluate where they stand with the starters on the roster.

Meaning, if the decision down the road is to cut bait with Johnson, Buerhle and maybe even Dickey that would free up significant payroll. But at this point the final decisions on those players haven't been made.

Edit: Quote from AA: ""I think we still had a lot of productive dialogue that could certainly lead to a deal in the offseason."
I think Buerhle for sure. Johnson will be interesting to watch. Wonder if maybe there was talk on a JPA, or even though he said the player wasn't reported in the media, possibly there's some truth to Bautista.

I think it's a smarter decision to take his time and make the right move instead of feeling the pressure of the deadline and "having" to make a move.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:44 PM
Longshot

Quote:
I think Buerhle for sure. Johnson will be interesting to watch. Wonder if maybe there was talk on a JPA, or even though he said the player wasn't reported in the media, possibly there's some truth to Bautista.

I think it's a smarter decision to take his time and make the right move instead of feeling the pressure of the deadline and "having" to make a move.
The Bautista stuff was all coming from elsewhere. Meaning: teams were calling the Jays to inquire. Bautista was in the media.

If I was to make a guess I would suggest AA might have been referring to Rasmus (very attractive player for other teams) or Dickey (probably attractive to NL teams that think he can rebound over there). Or he's talking about prospects in the minors.

Everybody in the media was talking about the bullpen guys and Johnson and Buerhle.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:49 PM
Dr.Funk

Quote:
The Bautista stuff was all coming from elsewhere. Meaning: teams were calling the Jays to inquire. Bautista was in the media.

If I was to make a guess I would suggest AA might have been referring to Rasmus (very attractive player for other teams) or Dickey (probably attractive to NL teams that think he can rebound over there). Or he's talking about prospects in the minors.

Everybody in the media was talking about the bullpen guys and Johnson and Buerhle.

My guess is that AA had something going to bring us a starter and an infielder with significant salary and he wasn't given the payroll to do it right now. Needs the offseason to be able to free up some room.

Kendrick and CJ Wilson from ANA is my guess.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:51 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post

Doubt it. He specifically said what he was discussing wasn't in the media.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:51 PM
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality

Quote:
Halos are looking for starting pitching themselves. Doubt that would be the case unless they're upgrading from elsewhere. I'm thinking more along the lines of Utley and/or Kendrick.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:52 PM
thatshype

Quote:
My guess is that AA had something going to bring us a starter and an infielder with significant salary and he wasn't given the payroll to do it right now. Needs the offseason to be able to free up some room.

I'd love those guys for next season, but doing it right now is somewhat pointless. They wouldn't make us magically make the post-season, so why do it now? Offseason would be the time for major acquisitions. Set our sights for next season.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:05 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

I have this strange feeling that AA was talking with the Mariners.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Probably Smardjiza, we had scouts watching the Cubs all week. Possibly Castro? Castro has some attitude issues and would be another great Latino with character problems to put in the clubhouse while having the bonus of completely depleting whatever we have left in the system.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:16 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Probably Smardjiza, we had scouts watching the Cubs all week. Possibly Castro? Castro has some attitude issues and would be another great Latino with character problems to put in the clubhouse while having the bonus of completely depleting whatever we have left in the system.
That's interesting. Two names that fit. You think the Cubs would jettison Castro at this stage? Seems like giving up on him pretty early.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:17 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
I have this strange feeling that AA was talking with the Mariners.
Centred on who?

He specifically said SP and middle infield were the positions being talked about.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:22 PM
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality

Quote:
Centred on who?

He specifically said SP and middle infield were the positions being talked about.
Perhaps they want to sell high on Iwakuma. Middle infield is crowded with Miller, Ackley and Franklin.

Closed Thread