HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At least Rasmus and Lawrie are doing well lately

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2013, 04:22 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
Centred on who?

He specifically said SP and middle infield were the positions being talked about.
Iwakuma/Ackley. I don't know, he likes taking on reclamation projects and Ackley seems to be as big of a project as any.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:23 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Perhaps they want to sell high on Iwakuma. Middle infield is crowded with Miller, Ackley and Franklin.
Would make sense. Mariners were shopping Morse. Logical to assume they were talking about their other pieces as well.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
That's interesting. Two names that fit. You think the Cubs would jettison Castro at this stage? Seems like giving up on him pretty early.
They have arguably a better player coming up in Baez and could capitalize on a mega deal by trading him while he still has that "5 tool" label on him. They are also smart to dump Smardiza before his wonky mechanics causes his arm to fall off. We are just the team that wants a big guy with stuff and a huge injury red flag as well as a fast toolsy player who can't hit consistently and has some character red flags. Sanchez + Stroman + Davis + basically any other 2 prospects.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...31308&c_id=phi

Fun fact: Juan Perez threw an immaculate inning with the Phillies a couple of years ago. Out of the 48 that have done it in MLB history, two of the pitchers are currently on the Jays.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:45 PM
TootooTrain
-

Being a mediocre pitcher, I can really appreciate what he did. Perfection.
http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=29292401&c_id=mlb

Drool.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:46 PM
FifthLine

Offseason

This offseason, the way AA has talked about the current state of the team, this is what I think he will do:

Qualify Johnson

Keep Buehrle

Trade for Gallardo

Trade for Kendrick or Beckham (Beckham more likely)

Trades Boni and Melky

Morrow
Johnson
Buehrle
Gallardo
Dickey

Reyes
Beckham
Bautista
Encarnacion
Rasmus
Lawrie
Lind
Arencibia
Gose/Davis/Pillar

Basically I don't think he blows it up, I think this is the team he wants. If it goes bad, he's going down with the team and he knows it. Pitching staff may be slightly expensive, but I do think ownership will support AA if he believes it. Everyone who thinks or expects us to blow is up, or trade guys like Bautista, or Lawrie, are going to be in for a disappointing offseason.

Old
07-31-2013, 04:47 PM
Kessley Snipes*

Can we end the John Gibbons era?

Old
07-31-2013, 04:52 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeaf1331 View Post
This offseason, the way AA has talked about the current state of the team, this is what I think he will do:

Qualify Johnson

Keep Buehrle

Trade for Gallardo

Trade for Kendrick or Beckham (Beckham more likely)

Trades Boni and Melky

Morrow
Johnson
Buehrle
Gallardo
Dickey

Reyes
Beckham
Bautista
Encarnacion
Rasmus
Lawrie
Lind
Arencibia
Gose/Davis/Pillar

Basically I don't think he blows it up, I think this is the team he wants. If it goes bad, he's going down with the team and he knows it. Pitching staff may be slightly expensive, but I do think ownership will support AA if he believes it. Everyone who thinks or expects us to blow is up, or trade guys like Bautista, or Lawrie, are going to be in for a disappointing offseason.
Brandon Morrow is going to be a really interesting decision for the Jays.

I have trouble believing that they will go into any season relying on him to be anything more than a four or five. He's too brittle and injury prone to be really trusted as a front line starter that will give you 35 starts.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:26 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessley Snipes View Post
Can we end the John Gibbons era?
I can only pray.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:27 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Brandon Morrow is going to be a really interesting decision for the Jays.

I have trouble believing that they will go into any season relying on him to be anything more than a four or five. He's too brittle and injury prone to be really trusted as a front line starter that will give you 35 starts.
IMO we go into the season with him fighting for #5 like Romero did this year. That's the safest route. I never want to see Morrow projected as our #1 again.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Jamie Thomas

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
IMO we go into the season with him fighting for #5 like Romero did this year. That's the safest route. I never want to see Morrow projected as our #1 again.
Morrow was projected to be #3 when this season started behind Dickey and Johnson. He could easily be that if he could stay healthy which is pretty doubtful at this point.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Thomas View Post
Morrow was projected to be #3 when this season started behind Dickey and Johnson. He could easily be that if he could stay healthy which is pretty doubtful at this point.
#2 actually.

The projected rotation was Dickey-Morrow-Buehrle-Johnson-Romero/Happ

Old
07-31-2013, 05:40 PM
Jamie Thomas

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
#2 actually.

This is the order they were supposed to pitch but I doubt they really viewed Buehrle as the #3 in front of Johnson. Probably more of a balanche thing I guess.
Morrow as the #3 was JMO anyway.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Mach85

For those complaining that Oliver didn't get traded, it's not that surprising. If he left it was only going to be to a TRUE contender that's close to his family - that probably only leaves a couple of options, and not all may be interested. They weren't going to just ship him off to anyone willing to give up a prospect. We're talking about a highly respected 42-year-old veteran who almost retired before this season. It's baseball code to treat those kinds of guys right, as those are the things that players think about when deciding whether to sign with an organization as a FA.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Thomas View Post
This is the order they were supposed to pitch but I doubt they really viewed Buehrle as the #3 in front of Johnson. Probably more of a balanche thing I guess.
Morrow as the #3 was JMO anyway.
Well of course, but judging by your opinion they would have reversed Morrow and JJ then. That's not what the projected rotation was though.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:58 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
#2 actually.

The only projection that was true was Happ is a number 5.

Old
07-31-2013, 06:03 PM
RedHead Kingpin

Was the trade for rasmus a waiver deadline deal?

Old
07-31-2013, 06:05 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze Yohn Royce View Post
Nope.

Old
07-31-2013, 06:05 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze Yohn Royce View Post
No. The Hill/Johnson trade was after the non-waiver trade deadline though.

Old
07-31-2013, 06:08 PM
thatshype

Looking at this whole thing objectively, Anthopolous as a GM cannot "blow it up". He doesn't have the clout that's necessary to go to the board and say "you know what, I was wrong...let's start over!"

As a GM, Anthopolous is now committed to the team he's constructed here. We will NEVER see Anthopolous trade Bautista/Edwin away because he hasn't EARNED that right. He's done some fantastic moves leading up to this season, but professional sports is a results driven league, and Alex hasn't earned enough clout to warrant a 'mulligan' on this past offseason. Alex sold the idea of building a contending team around Bautista and Edwin to the board, and it worked. They gave him the money necessary. If he goes to the guys that sign the cheques and asks for a re-do, he's fired. It's as easy as that.

I personally love Anthopolous because he did some AMAZING moves for the team. But he made a decision this past offseason, and he will not be allowed to back out now. He will be allowed to retool and do some lesser moves, but nothing as extreme as trading Bautista or Edwin. You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

Old
07-31-2013, 06:13 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Looking at this whole thing objectively, Anthopolous as a GM cannot "blow it up". He doesn't have the clout that's necessary to go to the board and say "you know what, I was wrong...let's start over!"

As a GM, Anthopolous is now committed to the team he's constructed here. We will NEVER see Anthopolous trade Bautista/Edwin away because he hasn't EARNED that right. He's done some fantastic moves leading up to this season, but professional sports is a results driven league, and Alex hasn't earned enough clout to warrant a 'mulligan' on this past offseason. Alex sold the idea of building a contending team around Bautista and Edwin to the board, and it worked. They gave him the money necessary. If he goes to the guys that sign the cheques and asks for a re-do, he's fired. It's as easy as that.

I personally love Anthopolous because he did some AMAZING moves for the team. But he made a decision this past offseason, and he will not be allowed to back out now. He will be allowed to retool and do some lesser moves, but nothing as extreme as trading Bautista or Edwin. You live by the sword, you die by the sword.
Why should he blow it up after one year, though, anyway? I don't think he should. If this still does not work in another 2-3 years, he will be fired and somebody else will start over.

Old
07-31-2013, 06:21 PM
ryno23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
They have arguably a better player coming up in Baez and could capitalize on a mega deal by trading him while he still has that "5 tool" label on him. They are also smart to dump Smardiza before his wonky mechanics causes his arm to fall off. We are just the team that wants a big guy with stuff and a huge injury red flag as well as a fast toolsy player who can't hit consistently and has some character red flags. Sanchez + Stroman + Davis + basically any other 2 prospects.
As a Cubs fan first yeah yeah why am I in the Jays forum well because I have watched the Jays team for 40 years growing up living in Ontario but loved the Cubs growing up watching Ryne Sandberg.

Anyways....back to my point the Cubs do have some younger prospects in the minors but Castro is still firmly in their plans and so is the Shark they are working on a long term deal with him. Castro while having a down year is still part of the future with Baez or him playing 2b down the road with Bryant at third and Rizzo at 1B

As for the red flags about Castro character I don't know where that comes from...sure he is aloof but aren't all Latin players to a certain degree haha

Smardjiza arm does not have the miles that a regular pitcher had as he was mostly a football player at ND and only pitched part time for the baseball team. So him breaking down is something could happen but not a guarantee.

However its those type of players that the Jays need to target young established players with some experience but also some years left.

Old
07-31-2013, 06:30 PM
ryno23

Again I will get flak from the Jays posters on here who love AA and think this team is just bad luck cause of injuries.

If AA stands pat and doesn't improve this team during the offseason then they are in trouble. It's not the guys they brought in causing the stink its the guys left over that are crap.

JPA, Lawrie, Morrow, Romero, Santos all regressed or are injury prone guys AA brought in thinking core pieces

Guys he brought in Reyes, Burhele, Dickey, Johnson, Izturis out of those guys only Dickey and Johnson have not done what they are supposed to. Dickey was a terrible move if you look at his AL numbers and Johnson was and still is injury prone with that proverbial tag of "potential" never putting it together for a full season.

What worries me is the faith in the players that were around before and how they do not get better or can stay healthy.

AA traded his back up plan in D'Arnaud for the cherry on the top guy in Dickey when you didn't really need to make that move as you had plenty of starting guys and worse case you pick someone up midseason when a Cliff Lee is available for Darnaud and Snydre

Old
07-31-2013, 06:47 PM
RayzorIsDull

Jake Marisnick 1st career HR.

Old
07-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Asif16*

Is there any hope for the playoffs left this season?

Closed Thread